A Promise Well Kept (A Zuko F...

By Pineapple4l1fe

You've been a servant to the Fire Nation since you first learned how to take orders. You left with Zuko when... More

Quick Author's Note
Link
1 - The Boy in the Iceberg
2 - The Avatar Returns
3 - The Southern Air Temple
4 - The Warriors of Kyoshi
5 - King of Omashu
6 - Imprisoned
7 - The Spirit World (Winter Solstice Part 1)
8 - Avatar Roku (Winter Solstice, Part 2)
9 - The Waterbending Scroll
10 - Jet
11 - The Great Divide
12 - The Storm
13 - The Blue Spirit
14 - The Fortuneteller
15 - Bato of the Water Tribe
16 - The Deserter
17 - The Northern Air Temple
18 - The Waterbending Master
19 - The Siege of the North, Part 1
20 - The Siege of the North, Part 2
Quick Author's Note
1 - The Avatar State
2 - The Cave of Two Lovers
3 - Return to Omashu
4 - The Swamp
5 - Avatar Day
6 - The Blind Bandit
7 - Zuko Alone
8 - The Chase
9 - Bitter Work
10 - The Library
11 - The Desert
12 - The Serpent's Pass
13 - The Drill
14 - City of Walls and Secrets
15 - Tales of Ba Sing Se (The Tale of Zuko and (Y/n))
16 - Appa's Lost Days
17 - Lake Laogai
18 - The Earth King
19 - The Guru
20 - The Crossroads of Destiny
Quick Author's Note
1 - The Awakening
2 - The Headband
3 - The Painted lady
4 - Sokka's Master
5 - The Beach
6 - The Avatar and the Fire Lord
8 - The Puppetmaster
9 - Nightmares and Daydreams
10 - The Day of Black Sun, Part 1: The Invasion
11 - The Day of Black Sun, Part 2: The Eclipse
12 - The Western Air Temple
13 - The Fire Bending Masters
14 - The Boiling Rock, Part 1
15 - The Boiling Rock, Part 2
16 - The Southern Raiders
17 - The Ember Island Players
18 - Sozin's Comet, Part 1: The Phoenix King
19 - Sozin's Comet, Part 2: The Old Masters
20 - Sozin's Comet, Part 3: Into the Inferno
21 - Sozin's Comet, Part 4: (Y/n) and Avatar Aang

7 - The Runaway

2.1K 51 11
By Pineapple4l1fe

3rd Person P.O.V.

A giant flaming statue of Ozai stood so proudly that dominated the town square. Down on the ground, however, things weren't so fine and dandy.

Toph ran out from a side street toward the statue. She had reached the base of it and turned around, only to be engulfed in a net flung from the direction behind her. She fell to the ground, hogtied. As Fire Nation 'domestic forces' approach her, she looked up accusingly.

"How could you do this to me?! You betrayed me!!"
Katara stood over Toph with a glare.
"You brought this on yourself. I had no choice."
She folded her arms and turned her back on Toph.

The helpless earthbender was then dragged away.

— Three days ago —

Somewhere in an isolated area near the vicinity of Fire Fountain Village, Toph and Katara faced each other ready to engage in combat. Aang stood up between them, tying his headband around his eyes for a blindfold.

"Ok, I'm ready for some training!"
"Remember, you can use your earth bending sight." (Y/n) instructed as she too stood in the side direction from the other two girls.

He nodded, then assumed a fighting stance and stomped on the ground with one foot. Immediately, Aang watched the concentric circles radiating out from the impact of his foot.

Toph then bent several columns of rock in his way and he dodged them with ease. Katara attacked with a water whip and Aang evaded this as well, recoiling it back onto her and simultaneously hurling a boulder at Toph. She caught it on the end of her fist and smirked.

"Good job, twinkle-toes. Visualize— then attack!"
She propelled the boulder back toward Aang, who corkscrewed into the ground to avoid it. The boulder, obeying Newton's first law, continued on its trajectory and collided with Katara's chest, bowling her over. She angrily stood back up.

"Maybe you should take your own advice, Toph."
Toph obnoxiously wiggled her fingers and made a whiny face. "What's the matter? Can't handle some dirt, Madame Fussy Britches?"

Katara's eye twitched before she drenched Toph with a wave. (Y/n) sighed and stood from her defensive position. This might take a while...
"Oh, sorry, did I splash you, mud slug?"

Furious, both girls career toward each other on-ramps of rock and ice, respectively, collide and fall to the ground with shrieks of rage.

Aang, still blindfolded, popped out of the ground and turned his head to (Y/n). "Are... we taking a break?" She smiled and ruffled his head.
"Apparently so Tiny Monk."

Sokka, with an evil grin on his face, rushed toward Aang from behind, yelling, "Yaaaaaah, sneak attack!"
Without even turning around, Aang bent a column of rock in his path and removed his blindfold.

"Oooooooooo." (Y/n) flinched. "Sokka, sneak attacks don't work if you yell it out loud." "A: 1, S: 0. Better luck next time Blue."

Meanwhile, Katara and Toph wrestled in a pool of mud. "Hungry for a mud pie?" Toph asked, kicking mud in Katara's face. Katara furiously answered, "I'll give you a mud pie!" She mud-bent Toph to the ground.

She sprung back up and earth bent Katara into the air. They were about to go at it again when they were interrupted by (Y/n) and Aang.
"Alright, enough guys. I thought we were supposed to be training Aang. Not watch you two mud wrestle." Katara, salvaging what dignity she can, stood up.

"Very well, pupil. I believe we've had enough training for today." She then walked away.
Toph jumped up. "While Katara cleans up, let's go have some fun!" Sokka and Aang fist pumped. "Yes! Yeah!"

They all turned to (Y/n), who rolled her eyes.
"Duh! Yea I'm coming." The three cheered again and dragged you to go to the Fire Fountain Village.

The four strolled down the street when spotting messenger hawks continually flying about. Sokka pointed.

"Look at all those messenger hawks. You know, I've been thinking about getting one for myself. That way, I wouldn't have to talk to anyone... I could just send them messages!" Toph jokingly laughed. "I gotta say, I like the idea of not talking to you."

"So, guys, what are we gonna get with our last silver piece?" "We can get more money. Right there." Toph said as she pointed to a street below, where a con man was fleecing a crowd of Fire Nation citizens with a shell game.

"This is where you seeing people are at a disadvantage. Everyone guesses wrong because the dealer moves the rock at the last minute. But I can feel it with my earthbending.

By this time the kids have descended and joined the crowd around the table. The con man spotted the "innocent-looking blind" girl and decided she was an easy mark.
"You there. Want to play a friendly game?"

Toph didn't move and (Y/n) frowned. She lightly elbowed Toph, who had planned that to happen, playing into the "normal blind girl" act. Toph frowned in a sickeningly sweet voice.
Oh, yea. She was up to something.

"Me? But how could I possibly play? I'm blind." The dealer smirked.
"You don't have to see to be lucky."

She groped her way to the table and laid down the last silver piece. The dealer practiced his sleight of hand with the pea, sending it flying from one shell to another, but Toph couldn't be fooled. She guessed correctly and the dealer tossed money her way.

"Flamey-o, Toph!" Aang cheered.
"Awesome job!"
The dealer smiled. "Wow, fancy guessing. You are amazing at this. Would you like to make the game a little more... interesting?"

Toph tilted her head thoughtfully. "More interesting? How?" The Dealer smirked. "Well, let's say you toss in your friend's fine sword there. Then I'll put up twenty silver pieces against it, and that's more interesting."

Toph grabbed Sokka's sword and handed it over, to Sokka's distress. "I'll do it for forty silver pieces."
"Forty silver pieces it is."

The shell shuffling began again, faster and more furious. The dealer flicked the peas up into his sleeve, removing them from the game, but before he could swipe the last one up, Toph earth bent one of them back just in time.

She pointed at one of the shells.
The dealer smugly lifted it.
"Sorry, little lady, but..." To his shock, the pea was still there?! "Huh?"
"I won!"

(Y/n) grabbed the money while Sokka grabbed his sword and the four of you ran off before anyone could say 'Good day Hotman!'

Back at the gaang's campsite, Aang, Sokka, Toph, and (Y/n) returned, arms filled with provisions.
Katara looked at them, startled.
"Where did you guys get the money to buy all this stuff?"

"Toph got us money. She scammed one of those guys in town who moves the shells around all sneaky-like." "She used earthbending to win the game. Classic!"

Katara tch'd. "Ah, so she cheated." Toph scoffed.
"Hey, I only cheated because he was cheating. I cheated a cheater. What's wrong with that?"
Katara just her hands up surrendering.

"I'm just saying, this isn't something we should make a habit of doing." "Why? Because it's fun, and you hate fun?" "I don't hate fun!"

She seized Momo and draped him on top of her head. "See? Fun." (Y/n) rolled her eyes. "Katara does have a point. We should be careful if we plan to scam again." "Wait! That's not what I—"

Momo slid off her head with an annoyed squawk.
"Katara, I'll personally make you an Avatar promise that we won't make a habit of doing these scams."
Aang lifted his headband to reveal his arrow and solemnly bowed to her.

These so-called 'Avatar promises' apparently were not worth much, as Toph used her powers to scam loads of different people.

From a rigged dice game to winning a strongman competition, and even to extorting a merchant after tricking him into thinking he had run her over with his carriage.

Back at the campsite, Katara remonstrated with the cash-flush flimflammers.

"Guys." She said, catching everyone's attention.
"I think these scams have gone far enough. If you keep doing them, something bad is gonna happen."
Toph huffed. "Could you for once stop being such a sourpuss and just lighten up?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. You think I should be more like you? Like some wild child?" (Y/n) tried to step in.
"Guys come on now. Don't start this up again."

Toph shrugged. "Yeah, maybe. Maybe then, you'd see how great we have it. I mean, look at us. We're traveling around the world, making easy money, having fun, with no parents to tell us what to do."
Katara nodded.

"Ah, I see. You're acting like this because of your parents." (Y/n), Aang and Sokka flinched. "Ouch..." Toph dismissively turned. "Whatever."

Katara kept going.
"They were controlling over you, so you ran away, and now you act like your parents don't exist. You act like you hate them, but you don't. You just feel guilty."

"I do hate them!"
"I don't think so. I think you miss them. But you just don't want to deal with that, so instead, you act like this crazy person."

Toph glared at the girl, as though she could see her. "Look. I ran away to help Aang!"
"You know what? It doesn't matter. These scams put us all at risk, and we don't need that. We've already got some third-eyed freak after us."

"Speaking of that third-eyed freak..." Sokka exclaimed, sliding next to (Y/n). "I think I've come up with a name for him. What do you think of... 'Sparky-Sparky Boom Man'!?"

The gaang looked to him, unimpressed.
"Just think about it." Katara turned back to Toph.
"We have enough money. You need to stop this!"
"I'll stop when I want to stop, and not when you tell me!" She shouted before walking away.

As the tension started to settle, Sokka turned to (Y/n) and Aang. "Speaking of money, I'm off to spend some. See you guys later!"

"I'm coming too Blue." (Y/n) called before standing up and walking beside the boy. Once the two of you made it back to Fire Fountain Village, Sokka had just fulfilled his dream and bought himself a messenger hawk.

"Hawky, welcome to Team Avatar. My name's Sokka and this is (Y/n)!" The girl reached over and stroked under the bird's chin.

"Hello, Hawky. I see Sokka here couldn't find you a more original name, now could he?" The bird chirped as the ex servant laughed at the water tribe boy's annoyed face.

"Anyway, I'm your new owner. And as such, I should warn you that there's already a lemur in our group, so I don't want to see any fighting." He poked the hawk affectionately and began to coo and baby-talk it.

"Good wittle messenger Hawky. Who's got pwetty feathers?" The bird squawked at the boy while his companion laughed at him. But then she stopped.

"Uhh, Sokka? You might wanna take a look at this..." He came back and stood by (Y/n), glancing at the announcement board and doing a double-take at the wanted poster of Toph.
"Oh boy..."

"You're right, Hawky. This is bad."

(Y/n) and Sokka, with Hawky perched on his shoulder, walked toward Toph as she sat counting money.

"Toph, when we were in town, we found something that you're not gonna like." He unfurled the wanted poster and showed it to her. (Y/n) sighed.
"Blue..."

"Well, it sounds like a sheet of paper, but I guess you're referring to what's on the sheet of paper."
"It's a wanted poster. Of you. They've nicknamed you 'The Runaway.'"

Toph perked up.
"A wanted poster? That's so great. 'The Runaway.' I love my new nickname. Is there a picture of me? Does it look good?"

Sokka checked her against her likeness.
"Well, yeah, actually, it does look pretty good."
(Y/n) sat next to her.

"Toph, please, you're missing the point. Katara was right. These scams are drawing too much attention to us." Toph rolled her gray eyes.

"Don't be such a worrywart like her. Think of it this way. Sokka, now you have plenty of money to help with the invasion plan! She dangled a sack of money before the both of them.

(Y/n) could not be unswayed by this, but Sokka could. "Well, that is true. I had this idea of making armor for Appa..."
"Blue!"

Toph handed him the entire bag "Here's a little extra so you can get yourself a nice map of the Fire Nation. You know what? Make it an atlas."
"I do like expensive atlases.
Toph grinned.

"Of course you do. And that's why this wanted poster is going to stay our little secret. Yeah (Y/n)?"

She elbowed the girl before snatching it from Sokka, hiding it beneath her vest, and walking away as Aang and Katara walk up. (Y/n) got up to follow Toph.

"I'm not telling Katara for the sake of you telling her yourself. You need to be truthful with us, your friends, but more importantly, yourself. And you should tell her before she finds that poster herself, Toph. Because you know she will." She whispered into her ear before turning away and walking back to the rest of the Gaang.

"Sokka, tell me you didn't buy a bird."
"Oh, he did."

"It is not just a bird. A messenger bird! Now we can send messages all over the world, even to Gran-Gran." "Wow, how does it work?" "Yea Blue? How does it work?" "Hm, uh, I never actually thought about that. Hawky: Gran-Gran, South Pole." He pointed helpfully, but Hawky shook his head in confusion.

"I think he gets it."
"He really doesn't."

Momo appeared over Aang's shoulder and dashed at his new rival. The bird and lemur wheel furiously about Sokka's head as he tried to calm them.
"Hawky, make nice! Bad Hawky!"

(Y/n) grabbed into the tiny wheel of destruction and yanked the lemur out.

Hawky was ready to jump back in, but with a disappointed glare from the (h/c) girl, he stopped and landed on the ground. Momo did too.

"Hawky. Momo. You two need to play nice with each other. No fighting. Do you understand me?" She didn't know if they truly did, but both animals stopped trying to jump at each other.
That's good enough for her.

"That's better." (Y/n) then made a series of clicks and kisses, making the bird flew over and land on her other shoulder. She scratched under Momo's chin and pat Hawky gently on his head. Sokka groaned, winded on the ground. Aang and (Y/n) laughed before helping him up.

"Wow (Y/n). How do you know how to control them?" The girl shrugged.

"I learned a little from my life in the palace. There was one of the other royal servants who handled the messages. And you never know when you might need to save your friend from a jealous lemur and an angry bird."

Aang laughed and Sokka crossed his arms.

Later in the day, Sokka and Toph returned from further hijinks in town, arms loaded with money.
(Y/n) knew what was about to erupt and decided to sit far enough to be out of "bending rage", but close enough to intervene if needed.

Katara crossed her arms. "Well, look who decided to join us. Where have you two been? Off scamming again?" Toph wouldn't back down.

"Yes, we were." "And I suppose you don't think what you're doing is dangerous at all?"
"No, I don't."
"Really?"
"Yes, really."
"Well then... what's this?!"

Katara flourished the wanted poster to Toph.
Toph threw her hands in the air, exasperated, while (Y/n) face palmed again.

"I don't know! I mean, seriously, what's with you people I'm blind!" Katara ignored her outburst.
"It's a wanted poster of you. 'The Runaway'. Is that what you're called now? Are you proud of this?"
"Where did you get that?!"

Katara crossed her arms.
"It doesn't matter where I got it. The fact is..."
Toph interrupted her.

"You went through my stuff! You had no right. Were you in on this?!" She shouted as she pointed to (Y/n), who put her hands up in surrender.
"Hey. I didn't say anything. But I did warn you to come clean yourself because you make your own decisions."

"And at any rate, your stuff was messy, and I was just straightening up and I happened to stumble across it," Katara said, crossing her arms.
Toph pointed to (Y/n). "You. You're telling the truth."

Then she pointed to Katara.
"But that? That's a lie! You're lying, Katara." Katara stuck her lip out and sneered.

"Fine! It's a lie. But you've been so out of control lately, I knew something was up. I knew you were hiding something, and you were."
Toph snatched the poster from Katara's hand and began to walk away. "Don't you walk away from me while I'm talking to you!"

Toph rolled her weakened pupils. "Oh, really, Mom? Or what are you going to do? Send me to my room?"
"I wish I could."
"Well, you can't. Because you're not my mom, and you're not their mom." She glared, pointing to Aang, Sokka, and (Y/n).

"I never said I was!" Katara shouted. "No, but you certainly act like it. You think it's your job to boss everyone around, but it's not. You're just a regular kid like the rest of us, so stop acting like you can tell me what to do. I can do whatever I want!"

"I don't act that way!" In a shrill and anxious voice, she turned to the other three. "Sokka, do I act motherly?" Alarmed, he decided discretion was the better part of valor. "Hey - I'm staying out of this one."
She then turned to The Avatar.

"What do you think, Aang? Do I act like a mom?"
Aang dug nervously at his eye. "Well, I—"
She interrupted him.
"Stop rubbing your eye and speak clearly when you talk!" Aang stood straight up, chastened.

"Y-Yes, ma'am."
"(Y/n)?!"
"Don't ask me cuz I ain't stepping into that bear trap."

Toph continued. "I can't be around you right now!"
"Well, I can't be around you!" Both stormed off as Hawky squawked plaintively on Sokka's shoulder.

"I know, Hawky. Why can't they just get along?"
Still later in the day, the three sat together and observed Katara and Toph, who sat resentfully at opposite ends of the camp. Sokka perked up a bit before turning to Aang and (Y/n).

"Hey, guys, wanna test out my messenger hawk with me? I've got an idea.
"Sure."
"Ok?"
"I'm gonna send a note to Katara and say it's from Toph, who wants to apologize. Then everyone will be friends again."

(Y/n) stared at the boy before turning away to laugh. The boys didn't see what was so funny but decided to ignore her.

Aang pat his friend's back.
"I gotta say, Sokka, you continue to impress me with your ideas." "M-Me too Blue. Me— Hahahaha!"
He shrugged. "Eh, it's a gift."

He took a pen and paper and began to write. "Dear Katara. Sorry for everything. Your friend, Toph."
He slid the note into Hawky's dispatch tube and the bird sailed over to Katara.

(Y/n) continued to laugh hysterically as the girl read over the paper. She then got up and faced the boys and (Y/n) angrily.

"I know this is from you, Sokka. Toph can't write. Ugh, you're all driving me crazy!" She then walked away. Aang slapped his head.

"I can't believe we forgot Toph can't write!"
"Yep, we're idiots."
"Yes, you are! Hahahaha!"
Aang scratched his head. "I guess plan B is, we send a note to Toph pretending it's from Katara."
"... AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

(Y/n) laughed harder while Sokka shook his head.
"I think we're gonna run into a similar problem. Sorry, Hawky. Looks like I'm gonna have to do this without your help." Sokka said. He came over to (Y/n) and helped her stand up as well.

"Ha... aha ha. *Sigh* you two are funny."
"Haha, Yea yea hilarious."
"It really was."
"Could you do me a favor?"
The girl nodded and Sokka whispered in her ear.
Then he pulled away. "Can you do that?" "Of course."

The two walked away from each other in opposite directions. Sokka then walked over to Toph.
"Come on, we need to talk."

"(Y/n)?! Where are we going?! And why are you only in your swim—" "Shhhh. Just follow me Frost Bite. I need you to de-stress." She sighed before letting (Y/n) drag her to the bottom of a cliff.

"Ok. Now meet me in the water after changing ok?"
She hesitated nodded before going to a bush to change. Meanwhile, (Y/n) slipped quietly into the water and swam toward the middle.

A few moments later, Katara joined her, and both sat together in silence. That is until Katara grew a bit impatient.
"Uh... (Y/n)? What are we doing down
he—"
"Katara shhh. Listen..."

She remained silent. Sure enough, they could hear Sokka and Toph sitting on the edge of the cliff, unaware that Katara and (Y/n) were bathing in the water below.

Their entire conversation audible to them.
Katara looked at (Y/n) with a scolding face that said, 'Eavesdropping?! Seriously?! I don't wanna eavesdrop on them!'

(Y/n) shot her own look at said 'Would you shut up and listen?! I'm older than you—you don't get to mama me!'
"So let me guess." The girls heard Toph speak.
"You brought me out here to tell me your sister's not as annoying as I make her out to be."

Sokka shrugged.
"Nah, she's pretty much a pain." Katara scowled at (Y/n), who smirked at her. "She's always got to be right about everything, and she gets all bossy and involved, and in your business."

"Yeah, I don't know how you can deal with it."
Katara grew angrier by the second by the look on her face, but (Y/n) placed a finger to her lips to stay silent.

"...Actually, in a way, I rely on it." Katara's expression turned from fury to confusion.
Toph turned her head to Sokka's voice.
"I don't understand." Sokka leaned back and watched the sky.

"When our mom died, that was the hardest time in my life. Our family was a mess, but Katara, she had so much strength. She stepped up and took on so much responsibility. She helped fill the void that was left by our mom." Toph paused for a moment before sighing. "I guess I never thought about that."

"...I'm gonna tell you something crazy. I never told anyone this before, but honestly... I'm not sure I can remember what my mother looked like. It really seems like, my whole life, Katara's been the one looking out for me. She's always been the one that's there, and now, when I try to remember my mom, Katara's is the only face I can picture." Said girl was so overcome with emotion as she looked at (Y/n) with tears in her eyes.

"The truth is, sometimes Katara does act motherly, but that's not always a bad thing. She's compassionate and kind, and she actually cares about me. You know, the real me. That's more than my own mom..."

Katara lowered her head into the water, in sadness or perhaps shame. (Y/n) had placed a hand on her shoulder in comfort when the two heard a punch sound and a small grunt.

"Don't ever tell her I said any of this."
"Hey, my lips are sealed. Now c'mon. Let's head back."

The two girls waited till Sokka and Toph had truly left before getting out of the water.
"(Y-Y/n), I'm sorry I was so pushy to you. To all of you..." (Y/n) laughed before hugging Katara.

"You're only trying to look out for the team. And there's nothing wrong with that. Like Sokka said, at times, I like to rely on it. It means that I know you care."

Katara smiled before sighing.
As the sun began to set, the kids reunited at the camp. Katara came over to the young earth bender.

"Hi, Toph. Um, I want to..."
"Katara, stop." Toph interrupted. "You don't need to apologize. I was the one being stupid. These scams are out of control, and I'm done with them." Katara slyly smirked.

"Actually, I wasn't going to apologize. I was gonna say... I want to pull a scam with you!"
Aang and Sokka gape in astonishment while (Y/n) facepalmed.
"What?"
"WHAT?!"

"You children are ridiculous, really." "What? You want to pull a scam?" "Not just any scam...the ultimate scam!" The boys collapsed, stupefied. "I think you killed them..."

"What do you say, Toph? Just me and you... one last go. You in?" Toph pumped her fist into the air.
"You know I'm in! Now, what's this idea of yours?"

The two conspirators walked off together. (Y/n) stood above the boys as they lied supine on the ground, foaming at the mouth. She chuckled. This should be interesting...

Katara went over the instructions.

"The plan is simple. This wanted poster says you're worth a lot of money. Ten times more than you've made in all your scams. So I'm gonna turn you in and collect the reward. Then you metal bend yourself out of jail, and we're on our way..."

— Present Time —

Toph had been captured and fell to the ground.
"How could you do this to me?! You betrayed me!!"
Katara stood over Toph with an angry glare.
"You brought this on yourself. I had no choice."

She folded her arms and turned her back on Toph. The helpless earthbender was then dragged away
The mayor walked up to Katara as Toph was dragged away. "You did the right thing by turning in 'The Runaway'." Katara nodded in agreement.

"The right thing is its own reward."
The Mayor smiled. "Well, I'm happy to hear you say that." "... But... I still want the actual reward." "Of course. Right this way."

Meanwhile, Toph was dragged past a metal cell and flung into a different one. She groped around and was dismayed to find her 'sight' inoperative.
Alarmed, Toph called out. "Hey, what kind of cell is this?" The Female Fire Nation Officer smirked through the bars. "A wooden one."

Back at the mayor's office, The mayor opened a moneybox for Katara when the door creaked open. The mayor then pointed to Katara and spoke to a person in the doorway.

"That's her! That's the girl you were looking for!"
Katara turned around to see the hulking figure of the Metal Man looming over her.
Uh oh...

At the campsite, Aang paced back and forth.
"Do you think this scam of theirs should be taking this long?" (Y/n) stood up, as did Sokka.

"I was just wondering the same thing..."
"We'd better check it out." Leaving, (Y/n) admonished Hawky and Momo.
"You two behave. Appa's in charge."

The two creatures began to squabble anyway, but a reproving roar from Appa put a quick stop to that.
In the jail cell, Katara had joined Toph in the wooden confinement.

Toph suddenly jerked up. "Wait. It's a trap!"
Katara sarcastically gasped. "Really? No kidding. Is that why we're sitting in a wooden cage right now? Gee, how'd you figure out it was a trap?"

"Not for us, Katara. We're the bait. He wants Aang and (Y/n)!" Katara realized the plan as well.
"I can't believe I was so stupid. See, this is exactly why I'm against these scams. I knew this would happen."
"But...this was your idea."

"I know. I wanted to show you that I'm not so motherly. I wanted to show you that... I can have fun too." Toph smiled. "Katara, you are fun. If nothing else, you're at least fun to argue with."

Katara sighed. "I know your relationship with your parents is complicated, and I shouldn't have said what I said." "It's ok. I was really mad when you said that because; well because maybe it's true. I try not to think about it, but when I left... I-I probably really h-hurt them."

She sobbed. Katara comforted her with a hug.

On the strangely deserted streets of Fire Fountain Village, Aang, Sokka, and (Y/n) searched for the girls. Sokka looked around a corner. "Where do you think they might be?"

"Where do you think anyone is?" (Y/n) suddenly stopped. The boys noticed her pause and turned to her.

"(Y/n)? What's wrong?"

"Something...Something is not right. This feeling in my chest doesn't feel right. There's no one here... the girls are missing... and we're going to search for them... almost like... it's a trap."

The boy's eyes widened before looking around in every direction. "But why would anyone attack us?"
"The scams?!"

"I doubt anyone would clear out the entire village for a couple of scammers. No... this is someone who knows who we are... OH MY GOSH, ITS—"
"(Y/n)! Watch out!"

Metal Man had appeared on a rooftop, just above the group, and had let loose of a blast. The boys tackled (Y/n) out of the way, barely managing to dodge it.
"It's 'Sparky-Sparky Boom Man'!"
Sokka shook his head.

"You know, I'm starting to think that name doesn't quite fit." Sparky leaped to the ground and fired another shot at them.

Back inside the cell, Katara and Toph heard the sounds of the fight. "What are we gonna do?"

Toph scratched her head. "I don't know! I wish we had some earth or water. We need bendables!"
"What about your meteor bracelet? You could make a saw." "I left it back at camp. I was worried they would take it."

Katara frowned before wiping sweat from her forehead...
Wait a minute!
She stood up and began running in place. Toph, heading the sudden rapid thumbing in place, was understandably puzzled.

"Um, Katara...are you ok?" "Just fine." "Well, what are you doing?" "I'm making my own water!"
She dashed the sweat now pouring from her face against the cell bars, cutting deep swipes in them.
Toph stood up in excitement.

"Katara, you're a genius! A sweaty, stinky genius!"
Katara stuck her hands beneath her armpits and flung the sweat from them towards the bars.

In town square, Aang, Sokka, and (Y/n) frantically eluded Boom Boom's assaults.
Sokka screamed. "This guy is too good. He shoots fire from his brain!"

(Y/n) shouted over the explosions around them. "We should split up. He can't chase all three of us. I'll look for the girls!" They nodded before splitting up.

As Aang ran along a roof, Sparky spotted him and fired. The blast sent Aang careering into the chest of the statue of Ozai, falling to the ground, prostrate. Boom Boom walked up to him and was about to deliver the final blow, when (Y/n) quickly tackled him away and a bolt of ice suddenly encased his head. He stumbled away as Katara and the gaang stood behind him.

"Aang, get up! We gotta get out of here!"
(Y/n) shouted, pulling her friend up to his feet.
The gaang fleed, but not before the Metal Man shattered his ice muzzle. As he prepared to fire at them, Toph bent a rock at him.

He destroyed it with a fire blast, but a piece of the rubble flew into his forehead and struck his smack in the tattoo, knocking him to the ground and apparently causing him extreme pain.
He got up and tried to resume his attack, but his power somehow had been turned against him.

As he tried to focus his 'laser beam', the air around him began to whistle before igniting and exploding.
As the group ran away, Sokka snapped his fingers.

"Hey, I got it. The perfect name for that guy! 'Combustion Man'!!!"
"Good job, Blue. Now let's get out of here before 'Combustion Man' catches us!"
"See? It fits so well."

Appa had descended toward a new campsite deep in the evening. Sokka yawned and stretched as they landed.
"Well, I'm exhausted. Hawky, how about you, buddy? Yeah, you're such a lazy little bird."

(Y/n) chuckled as the boy fell into a deep sleep.
She then felt a tug on her sleeve. "Uh... Yea Toph?"
"(Y/n), Katara... I need you guys' help..."
"What is it, Toph?" Katara asked.

The young girl shuffled her feet a bit before sighing. "I need you to write some things down for me. I want to send a letter to my parents." Katara and (Y/n) smiled at each other.

"We'd be happy to help." They helped Toph put into words what she wanted to say. With the letter written, Toph slipped it into Hawky's dispatch tube. (Y/n) gave the bird the coordinates and watched as he soared into the night air.

The girls smiled amongst each other before snickering at Sokka, who had only taken only a few seconds to notice that someone was missing.

"Hey, where'd Hawky go?"

Author's Note: I love you so much. Thank you for still reading this! It's been a long journey. And it still ain't over yet. I'm gonna be posting a third either tomorrow or the next day. So be on the lookout! Peace and love good people!

Ending Disclaimer: Should be pretty obvious, but I am not an original creator of A: TLA, and I don't own any of the characters. I also do not own the A: TLA plot. Just changing up the story a bit and giving it a different point of view!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

281K 6.6K 49
❝𝐘𝐨𝐮'đĨđĨ đĢ𝐞𝐠đĢ𝐞𝐭 đĨđžđšđ¯đĸ𝐧𝐠 đĻ𝐲 đŦđĸ𝐝𝐞. 𝐈 đŦ𝐡𝐨𝐮đĨ𝐝 đ§đžđ¯đžđĢ đĄđšđ¯đž 𝐭đĢ𝐮đŦ𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐲𝐨𝐮.❞ ❝𝐘𝐨𝐮'đĢ𝐞 đĢđĸ𝐠𝐡𝐭. 𝐘𝐨𝐮 īŋŊ...
6.5K 351 9
➤𝘛𝘰𝘱𝘩 𝘉đ˜Ļđ˜Ēđ˜§đ˜°đ˜¯đ˜¨ 𝘹 đ˜ŗđ˜Ļđ˜ĸđ˜Ĩđ˜Ļđ˜ŗ (đ˜¯.) đ˜ĸ đ˜ŗđ˜Ļ𝘮𝘰đ˜ĩđ˜Ļ đ˜Ŗđ˜Ļđ˜ĸđ˜ļđ˜ĩđ˜Ē𝘧đ˜ļ𝘭 đ˜Ē𝘮đ˜ĸ𝘨đ˜Ēđ˜¯đ˜ĸđ˜ŗđ˜ē 𝘱𝘭đ˜ĸ𝘤đ˜Ļ 𝘸𝘩đ˜Ļđ˜ŗđ˜Ļ 𝘭đ˜Ē𝘧đ˜Ļ đ˜ĸ𝘱𝘱đ˜ŗ𝘰đ˜ĸ𝘤𝘩īŋŊ...
109K 2.5K 22
COMPLETED! 'Aya's my angel and I'm never letting her go.' After seeing Azula strike Aang with her lightening, Aya's entire world fell into a black h...
2.2K 99 3
The fire nation... wanting nothing more than to rule over all the nations. you follow the story of a young fire bender. Born within the fire nation...