Blood of the Ancients(Overlor...

By ASnazzyGuy

(Cover art by ActuallyAleister. I appreciate you making these, man) Yggdrasil: Year 11 Patch An update long h... More

1: The "End" of Nazarick
2: New Beginnings
4: Swords of Darkness
5: Journey
6: A "Wise" King
7: Two Dark Knights
8: Lamprey
9: Liberation

3: The Face of Eldritch Fury

7.3K 241 83
By ASnazzyGuy

In the center of this somewhat unfortunate town, a dwindling ring of knights stood in shared horror at the sight that befell them.

The sound of dripping liquid accompanied blood and slobber as the same beast you unleashed faced off against a hopeless force. From it's claws, two halves of the last knight to try and attack fell, landing in growing puddles of his own blood.

  Another knight with trembling arms faced the creature as it grabbed the top half of the bisected knight, and started to rip into the flesh. It wasn't even eating, just... tearing into the body, taking it apart piece by piece.

  With a shout of fear, the knight dropped his sword and shield and turned a 180, crying out in terror as he tried to run away. The Bloodletting Beast stopped it's fun to look at the fleeing knight, taking off in a burst. The knight didn't get another second to scream before teeth closed around his head, bringing an instant, bloody demise.

  "Shit!" Another knight's blade bounced off the back of the beast as it dropped the previous knight's body. With a simple turning swipe, the knight had three gouges dug into his face and chest as his body flew into the distance, dead before he hit the ground again.

  As the next body flew off, another knight abandoned arms, turning to try and flee himself.

  A leap and a bite left the legs running alone for a few feet before dropping, as the top half was viciously consumed by the merciless monster.

  "It's not attacking anyone who doesn't run away... it's enjoying itself!?" Another knight, probably a captain of sorts, watched the massacre from behind his dwindling forces, terrified beyond belief.

"God, please save us!" In front of him, a scared knight muttered a swift prayer to a higher being, out of mortal dread.

"—God..." Another was simply stricken to nothing but horror, terrified of this bloodthirsty, sadistic monster.

"B-Bastards!" The captain yelled out, getting the attention of the knights.

"Take down that monster! I am not a person who should die in a place like this!" He turned back, commanding his forces at the bloodletting beast.

"Buy some time! Be my shield!"

"Chief Belius..." Another knight beside him fell, drowning in a puddle of his own blood, to the newly named Belius's terror. Terror that turned up to 11 as the beast slowly turned it's back towards him.

"Money! I'll give you money!" He begged the knights.

"200 gold pieces? No, 500 gold pieces!" Step after step, the beast approached the desperately pleading knights. As he tried to step back, a knight weakly grabbed his heel.

"1-1000 gol-" He stopped, looking down at the knight to grab him. From under the helm, all he could see was slowly sharpening teeth and sprouting hair. With a scream of shock and horror, Belius fell backwards as the bloodletting beast towered over him.

With a spray of blood and ripping of flesh, the beast began to rip his gnarled claws straight through the captain's breastplate, revealing ribs with one strike, shattering them with the next.

"S-Sabhe me! Please! I'll do anyfingh!" Through strike after strike, blood, bone, viscera all of it coated the ground and the claws of the beast.

"Money! I vhill gibh you munni! Moneeeeeeh!" As his last desperate cry for help echoed out, the beast swiped through his organs, leaving a torso and a pair of legs separated by a bloody smear, a sight comparable to a stick of soft butter with the middle squished by a bored child.

"No... no no no! God!" The brutal sight instilled a fear deeper than the dark ocean into the minds, the cores of the remaining knights.

"Calm down!" Another captain yelled out, taking charge.

"Retreat! Once I give the signal, call the horses and the horseback archers! The others will buy us time! Begin!" At the command, the knights hefted their swords. Now they had orders and a direction.

Knights charged the beast all at once, determined to find a way through the monster. One by one, they were simply crushed by jaws, sliced by claws, and consumed by a ravenous maw.

The remaining captain lifted his sword, ready to charge, to try for a decisive blow. With a shout of fury for the fallen, he charged.

Only for the beast to simply swat his head off the neck. The last thing the captain ever saw was his own headless body falling to the bloody grass.

"That is enough." The beast stopped in place, leaving a measly few knights alive, as a whispery voice echoed over the plains.

Above them all, simply floating in the air, were three figures. You, covered in your dark Hunter's Attire to hide your appearance. Momonga, holding his staff, and hiding his appearance with a free mask from some event and gloves, as well as closing his robes so people don't see his ribs, and Albedo, armored and wielding her axe.

"It is a pleasure to meet you all, poor, suffering denizens. You may refer to me as Paleblood, close associate of the great Ainz Ooal Gown." With a soft landing, all three of you landed, allowing you and Momonga to step forward. The bloodletting beast shambled behind you, staring at the knights it had previously been ripping apart.

"We have chosen to have you all return alive. And tell your superi— your owner of this! Next time you cause trouble in this area, I will bring death to your kingdom." Momonga told them.

  "Go, spread the name of Ainz Ooal Gown. Tell those of the terror that befell you this day." You ordered. That was all the urging the knights needed, before dropping their weapons and turning tail, running away from the beings before them.

In front of you three, one of the villagers got to their hand and knees, scared, but thankful.

"Wh-Who are you sirs?" He asked, wondrous.

"We have seen your village under attack and have come to save you. You are all safe, so please, be at ease." You told them. Behind you, the bloodletting beast began to pick up the scraps it had left of the knights. As you and Momonga approached the villagers, you stopped, noting their unease.

"Hm?" Momonga was also inquisitive enough to notice this. Looking back at the beast, he turned to the villagers again.

"However, this wasn't for free. We would like your thanks for it." He added this caused smiles and sighs of relief to spread around, to your surprise. It seems that you and Momonga could lower suspicions by making them think your actions were for commercial gain.

You needed to use some old memory magic to wipe those sisters clean of memories from seeing Momonga's face, while your comrade went to get money and information. You and Momonga were passed as magic casters who had secluded themselves in research since a young age, and knew nothing of the world, to excuse your current lack of knowledge.

For starters, Yggdrasil gold was worthless as a currency outside of spells that used them. The gold itself had worth, but it could be dangerous to use.

This village, called Carne Village, and Nazarick were part of what's called the Re-Estize kingdom. Adjacent to a massive mountain range running north and south, was the Baharuth Empire. Two countries on bad terms that often battled on the plains that border the two countries, near the capital city of E-Rantel.

To the south of both countries was the Slane Theocracy. Based on the emblems present on the shield and armor of the attacking knights, it was assumed that Baharuth was behind the attack on the village. However, it could have been staged by this third country to create enmity between the other two. You should have captured a knight for the information, but that was your blunder.

Furthermore, the closest city was E-Rantel. Goblins, orcs, and ogres appear around the area, but are hunted by adventures, providing safety among the roads. Reportedly, a guild in the city could be used to hire said adventurers. To gain as much information as possible, setting up a residence of sorts in the city would probably help.

Soon, this day had passed, bringing a sunset along as you walked around this village, allowing Momonga and Albedo to do their own exploring of this area. As you passed the village center, where the villagers had been gathered before, you noticed a small group talking to the chief, a concerned tone in his voice.

  "Village Chief, does something ail you?" You asked, stepping towards him.

  "Oh, Lord Paleblood. It seems some knight-like people are heading toward this village." The chief told you.

  "I see. Please gather your remaining populous at your home and have someone report this to Ainz. Chief, I would have you join me and him in the village square." You ordered.

  "Y-Yes!" Hopeful voices filled that air around your body as the villagers moved to follow your order.

  After a bit, all the town's remaining villagers were gathered in a house, with a grave few watching out the window as you and Momonga stood side by side, with the village chief on your left and Albedo at Momonga's right. In front of you, down the village road, the sound of hooves hitting the ground grew more and more apparent, before a large group of knights rode into view.

  Unlike the previously attacking knights, these bore armor of red and brown, clearly showing a different allegiance. Even more unlike the last group, the most authoritative one, the one who was most likely captain, or at least in charge, rode in front. Not in the back, like the last group. Just seeing this brought a thin, inward smile to your mind. You didn't even need to talk to him to see that this leader was leagues more honorable, and respectable in his position.

  Said leader stopped his horse in front of you, letting you take a good look at his features. Well built, with thick, dark brown hair that went from his face to his chin in rather well done sideburns, and surprised eyes that scanned a few figures, instead of dead littering the streets, like he had probably seen before time and time again.

  "I am the Chief Royal Warrior of the Re-Estize Kingdom, Gazef Stronoff." He introduced himself.

  "I have received orders from the King to hunt down the knights of the empire that have been wreaking havoc in the area by visiting all the villages." He state.

  "Royal Chief Warrior..." Judging from the village chief's reaction, this man was not one unknown by the people. No doubt well known for the prowess and deserved respect you first saw.

  "You must be the chief of this village. Who are the ones standing beside you?" The Chief Warrior asked.

  "These gentlemen are..."

  "Please put yourself at ease. It is a pleasure to meet you, Royal Chief Warrior of the Re-Estize Kingdom, Stronoff." You took a bow, making sure to fully restate the title of the man before you.

  "I am Paleblood."

  "And my name is Ainz Ooal Gown. I am a magic caster that, alongside Paleblood, came to help this town while it was being attacked." At the reveal, the Chief Warrior let out a slight 'huh?' before getting off his horse, letting it wander as he faced you two.

"Thank you for saving this village. Mere words cannot fully express my gratitude."

"Head Warrior!" The Chief Warrior turned his head towards another knight, who walked up from behind.

"Unknown figures have been spotted around this area. It seems they've surrounded this village and are approaching as I speak!" He reported.

At the news, these new knights took haste, taking cover in the buildings themselves, to give an appearance of a deserted village. You were with Momonga and the Chief Warrior as the latter peered out of the window.

"You're right, there are people." He told the knight who made the report.

"They've surrounded the village in equally spaced intervals." The other knight pointed out.

"Who are they, exactly?" Momonga asked, as you stood nearby, silent.

"Only the Slane Theocracy could send out this many magic casters at once. And they're part of the special ops unit directly under the Head Priest. It must be one of the six scriptures." The Chief Warrior answered, watching them intently.

"Then the ones who attacked earlier must have been with them." You pointed out.

"They were dressed as soldiers from the empire, but yes, it looks like they were actually from the Slane Theocracy." The Chief Warrior agreed.

  "As I thought. Does this village hold that much value?" Momonga asked.

  "Sir Gown, if you have idea why they are attacking...  then there is only one reason they are attacking this place." The Chief Warrior stated. After a moment of silence, you nodded.

  "It seems that you are despised by rivals for the same reason you are loved by allies." You remarked.

  "This is a problem. To think that even the Slane Theocracy is after me..." Despite the issue at hand, a light smile covered the Chief Warrior's face as he looked out at the people surrounding the village. Curiously, Archangel Flames stood behind each one. Lesser foes from Yggdrasil that you remembered well. But what could they be doing here?

  "Sir Gown, Sir Paleblood." You and Momonga turned at the mention of your names, facing the Chief Warrior.

  "I'd like to hire you, if possible. I will be sure to reward you as you wish." He requested.

  "I dec-"

  "Very well. What price would you have?" You stopped Momonga with your own statement.

  "Any you want." The Chief Warrior insisted.

  "I would like books and maps on this world's history, politics, traditions, and so on. I have spent much of my life in seclusion, and now an unfathomable thirst for knowledge has taken hold. Grant me the means to this and I will take care of those who stand before you." You promised.

  "I see... I will do my best to get you the most reputable of our history books as soon as I may." The Chief Warrior agreed.

  "I will occasionally come here to collect." You told him.

  "Now, I will go. Should even one be left standing, consider that price voided." You told him.

  "I have utmost faith that it will not."

   "Lord Y/n, do you truly intend to assist these insects?" Albedo asked, accompanying your approach.

  "Momonga and myself are vying for the knowledge of this world. If I do not extract that as a price, all others would remain meaningless. Otherwise, I would be unable to stand by and see a defenseless creature be slaughtered. They would receive aid even without a price." You told her.

  "I understand, my lord."

Wind blew around your feet as you stood in the dusty fields around the village, facing a group of people with Archangel Flames floating around them. Behind the only unmasked magic caster, a single, massive version of the enemy stood inert, waiting for orders.

  "Who are you?" The only one without some kind of head gear revealed a thin face covered by short, blonde hair, who looked upon you with disappointment, an air of arrogance surrounding his demeanor.

  "It is nice to meet you, people of the Slane Theocracy. You may call me Paleblood." You introduced yourself. The setting sun illuminated your left side, casting shadows as dark as the futures of those in front of you.

  "I have something of a relationship with this village, you see." You added.

  "What, have you come to beg for their lives?" The leader asked, amused.

  "To beg? No, no. You see, I have bothered myself to come to this village in their time of need, to aid them. For you to come by, not a day later, with a force intending to slay those I've helped? I can imagine no greater offense short of betrayal." You told them.

  "Offense? Big words, warrior. What will you do about it?" The leader questioned.

  "Offer yourself to me without resistance, and I will make your fate a simple one. Refuse, and I will turn death into the greatest opulence you could never achieve." You offered. In response, the commander simply lifted his arm.

  "Have the angels attack!" At once, two of the summons charged forward with the speed of demons, planting spears of light into your torso. You let them try this, despite the complete lack of feeling it brought to you.

  "Hmph... how pathetic.... This is what happens when you make stupid bluffs." The leader remarked.

  "...offer your lives without resistance." You repeated, holding a hand up.

"Hm?" The leader looked to you, shocked as you removed a single magic concealing ring from your hand.

"Do you not know the importance of heeding a warning?" You asked, throwing your hand aside. The two angels attacking you were hit by a blast of repressed arcane energy, instantly destroying them.

Beside the physical nullification that rendered your bodies immune to low level physical attacks, your arcane power was super effective in dealing with magical creatures.

  "Now, for your impudence, I must make my own attack. This would be considered a massacre, but I will make sure not to kill you. There's so much more I could do with the living, after all." You murmured, slipping the lone ring back on.

  "H-Have all the angels attack!" Was the next order, as a swarm of holy beings descended on you, ready to try and tear you apart. Emphasis on try.

  "Albedo, please stand back." You requested.

  "Yes." Albedo leapt backwards, out of range as you lifted your hands upward.

  "Now... perish." A warm glow surrounded your face as you simply looked upward, at the attacking angels. It took a second before heads began to explode into showers of sparks, shedding falling bodies seconds later, only for those to dissolve as well. In a matter of less than 10 seconds, all angels were dead.

"M-Monster!" One of the casters shouted.

"Heat Ray!"

"Poison!"

"Shockwave!"

"Fire Rain!"

"Confusion!"

"Charge of Stalagmite!"

"Open Wounds!"

"Fire!"

"Hm..." Magic circles glowed in front of each caster as they threw spell after spell at you. Slowly, more and more casters were gathering, abandoning their posts from around the village to join the attack on you. Their spells were, of course, simply dispersed before they could reach you, but they could keep trying.

"Word of Curse!"

"Blindness!"

"As I surmised. These spells are the same as those in Yggdrasil. How did these people learn them?" You wondered aloud. Shouting and panicking, one of the casters reeled his arm back, throwing a pebble at you.

In a flash, Albedo charged in front of you, knocking the pebble back with several hundred times the force, instantly blowing the head of the helmeted caster up in a geyser of blood. This instant movement effectively halted the attack.

"What happened?" The leader asked, shocked.

"Albedo, you should know that such aerial weapons would do no harm to me. There was no need to exercise your strength." You reminded her.

"Please wait, my lord. There is a bare minimum that must be met to fight with you, Great One." Albedo pleaded.

"To throw such a small and insignificant pebble at you..." You held your gloves hand out, caressing the worrying Albedo's face in hand.

"So you believe these insects as unworthy to battle against me? I do appreciate your concern, Dear Albedo." You murmured to her. Behind her, the lead caster reeled back, offended by your words.

"Principality of Observation! Attack!" The massive Archangel Flame finally moved, bringing it's hands together. A mace formed in a flash of light, as the Flame neared you, raising it's weapon. Albedo ducked behind you, wisely allowing you to deal with this.

In a flash, your left hand sprung up, catching the swing of the massive mace.

"How... pitiful. I suppose I should fight back." You threw a hand to your side, as a single katana appeared in it with a flash of red, dripping blood at every movement.

With a lone flick of your Chikage, the massive angel was simply cut in half, leaving the decaying pieces to fall to your sides.

"O-One hit!"

"That's impossible! There's no way a high level angel could be destroyed with one strike!" The lead caster shouted, disbelief clouding both words and mind.

"Captain Nigun! What should we do?" A caster asked, desperate. In response, the newly named Nigun reached into the folds of his garb, pulling out a fist sized chunk of blue crystal.

"We will summon the highest level angel!"

"That crystal..." You muttered, it was a sealing item that could contain any magic other than top tier spells and Great One abilities, like your exclusive attack, Gaze of the Moon.

"So, they even possess Yggdrasil items." You noted.

  "Albedo, if you would so kindly use your skill to protect me." You requested.

  "Yes!" She didn't hesitate to twirl her axe, stepping in front of your body to take an offensive stance.

  "Look, the shining form of the highest of angels!" Nigun shouted in ecstasy.

  "Dominion Authority!" In a flash of blue light, the named creature appeared. Six wings adorned feathery robes, with arms that gripped a massive staff in hand, and a blue glyph that covered the face of the thing. The entire thing was also huge, easily dwarfing you by a hundredfold.

  "This is your strongest trump card?" You inquired, staring at the thing with curiosity.

  "That's right! I have determined that you are worthy enough to use this item." Nigun decided, a cocky smile covering his face.

  "I see... I'm speechless." You remarked, satire dripping from your words.

  "Are you afraid? It cannot be helped." Nigun told you.

  "...I'm disappointed." You decided.

  "What!?"

  "I was on guard against some child's play?" You asked.

  "Child's play? What are you saying? I-It can't be... No, it's impossible! In front of an existence which mankind cannot defeat... You're bluffing!" With the foolish decision, Nigun looked up to his Dominion Authority, barking out his command.

  "Use Holy Smite!" At the command, the golden staff in the angel's hands broke into tiny pieces, starting to orbit the holy creature.

  "This is seventh tier magic that no man can go against. Taste the power that annihilates demons, the judgement of God!" At the last word, the angel's eyes flashed, and a blue light suddenly descended from the heavens, washing over your body.

  Nigun's confident smirk faltered at the sound of a low chuckling.

  "Ah ah ah... it seems something might've cracked..." You stated as the light faded, leaving you standing unmoved, and Nigun in a state of absolute shock.

  "Y-Y-You lower life forms!" Albedo shrieked, bringing a shriek of his own to Nigun's lips.

  "The Great One! To the one all should love so deeply! To cause him pain! Know your place, you piece of trash!"

"Calm yourself, Albedo." You chided the succubus.

"B-But my lord!" She protested.

"It is fine. Aside from their astounding weakness, all is going as planned. Now, if you would remove my rings, and stand back." You requested.

"Y-Yes, my lord!" She bowed, taking your hands. At first, only your 8 rings were removed, then your gloves, hat, goggles, mask, until your arms and face were revealed to your foes.

"W-W-What is this!" Nigun shouted, beholding his lone, porcelain foe.

"This is what you alone brought to yourself." You told him, as a crack erupted along your jawline. A piece of your cheek flew out, flying through the head of the Dominion Authority, leaving a trail of yellow light as it went. More and more cracks erupted along your joints, flinging minuscule pieces of yourself through the angel, along with trail after trail of sparks, until your moving parts were simply held together by swirling, malevolent energy, and the massive angel that towered over you was on the ground, slowly dissolving into golden light. At once, a million shards flew back towards you, forming a cracked shell over blue light.

  "W-Who are you!?" Nigun yelled out at you.

  "An associate of Ainz Ooal Gown." This time, your mouth moved up and down, flashing blue light across your cracked form.

  "In the past, there was not a soul who knew not the name." One last piece of porcelain flew towards you from above, leaving a crack in the air as it traveled back to your hand. After a moment, the crack shattered completely, leaving specks of residual magic.

  "W-What was that?" Nigun asked.

  "It seems someone was watching you from afar, with information magic. My counterattacking magic barrier has activated, so it's reasonable to say they have not seen much." You assured the doomed soul.

  "My... country was watching me?" The caster asked, grim surprise evident in tone.

    "Now then, I have a promise to fulfill, so-"

  "W-W-W-W-Wait a second! L-Lord! All of us... No, I alone am enough!" The casters around him began to protest in shock at the words.

  "If you spare my life, I will give you whatever r-reward you wish!" He pleaded.

  "Hmmm... Had you offered your own life in exchange for your men, I may have considered it." You told him.

  "W-What?"

  "However, I have promised that not one of you would be left. I once promised that death would be a luxury. I will make it even more than that now, for your selfishness. Death will be to you like water in the desert, air in the ocean, cold in the depths of Hell." Your cracked body began to loosen, giving your already inhuman form a more feral look as the swirling energy intensified.

  "No more dreams will reach your mind. No matter how much you look to the skies, to the moon, and cry for help, for relief... I will not listen."

    By the time the last screams had silenced, your body was solid again, and covered in it's same garb, rings and all.

  "I'm sure Momonga won't mind my methods, but he will certainly wish to hear about the things these people have." You told yourself, walking back to the village.

  "Shit... So freaking cool, Lord Y/n." Albedo muttered behind you.

  "You have my thanks, Dear Albedo. For now, we should head back for Nazarick. Could you please bring the news of what has happened to Momonga for me, and tell him that we should go back?" You requested.

  "Yes, Lord Y/n."

  And before an hour had passed, you were back in the throne room's doll, beside Momonga, who was on his throne. In front of you, all the guardians kneeled, with Albedo at Momonga's side.

  "First, I apologize for moving on my own." Momonga started.

  "Albedo will tell you all that has happened. However, there is one thing I must say immediately." He pointed a finger upward, towards his respective flag near the ceiling of the throne room.

  "Break Greater Item!" With a flash of blue flame, it disappeared, leaving the floor guardians shocked.

  "I have changed my name. From now on, my name is Ainz Ooal Gown." With a start, Ainz stood up, gripping his staff.

  "You shall call me Ainz! If you have any objections, stand and voice them now!" He ordered.

  "I hold none, but may I still use your old name, on occasion?" You inquired, more curious than anything else.

  "You, Y/n, of course. You are my good friend, and the only other to stay by me until the end. Anyone else?" Ainz asked, looking over the guardians.

  "We have heard your precious name. We devote absolute loyalty to our venerable leader." Albedo stated.

  "Hail Lord Ainz Ooal Gown!" All the guardians chanted.

  "What of you, Y/n? You called yourself Paleblood to the villagers, will you keep that name?" Ainz asked you.

  "Call me whatever you all wish. All I ask is that those not under our rule call me Paleblood." You requested.

  "And so it shall be." Ainz promised.

  "We shall give ourselves completely to the Supreme Ones!" Shalltear declared.

  "To the most powerful god and king." Mare and Aura spoke in unison.

  "Everyone in this world will know of your greatness." Demiurge added.

  "The ones who rule over all, our lords." Cocyutus spoke next.

  "Glory to the Overlords, the rulers of death and nightmares!"

  "This is an absolute order! Make the names Ainz Ooal Gown and Paleblood eternal legends!"

  ~ASnazzyGuy

  ~4784 Words

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76K 2.2K 23
Given the title of Clan Leader my Momonga before he too joins the other Supreme beings in the real world. leaving Ultron on the throne toying with Al...
246K 6.3K 43
This time Momonga isn't alone in the New World but with his long time friend Drakiania. ----------- I'm aware I gave the female protagonist a name, i...
270K 5.8K 38
You and your brother Satoru visits the great tomb of Nazarick for the last time before the game shuts down. Seeing your comrade Hero-Hero in the mee...
123K 3K 40
Overlord fanfic Contains spoilers for the anime Sporadic updates An MMORPG player finds himself trapped in the game world. But he is not alone as his...