Without Her

By niaa_writes

"someone to hold his finger when I leave his hand" Hardin and Tessa learn the truth about Tessa's health, whe... More

chapter 1 - drifted
chapter 3 - tired
chapter 4 - something is wrong
chapter 5 - alarmed
chapter 6 - a tumor?
chapter 7 - he's here
chapter 8 - changing
chapter 9 - results
chapter 10 - need to process
chapter 11 - he would do this for me?
chapter 12 - I didn't mean it
chapter 13 - a year into this
chapter 14 - impromptu plans
chapter 15 - road trip (1)
chapter 16 - road trip (2)
chapter 17 - checking off things
chapter 18 - surprises
chapter 19 - new year party :(:
chapter 20 - forgive me?
chapter 21 - high risk
chapter 22 - blueberry or blueberries?
chapter 23 - perfect day
chapter 24 - anything for the list
chapter 25 - flip of time
chapter 26 - losing hope
chapter 27 - unprogressive
chapter 28 - and it begins
chapter 29 - s̶k̶i̶n̶n̶y̶ d̶i̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶
chapter 30 - all too well
chapter 31 - misfortune
chapter 32 - dramatic, isn't it?
chapter 33 - temporary
chapter 34 - everything changes
chapter 35 - at the edge
chapter 36 - without her
chapter 37 - the end
epilogue

chapter 2 - not again..

1.6K 77 20
By niaa_writes

Hardin's POV:

I really do have the perfect day planned for Tessa. I have recently been realizing how I am unable to give her the attention she deserves. My work takes all my time but not anymore. I have to keep this woman happy like she makes me.

She is in the room getting ready right now, while I am making dinner reservations at fancy restaurant, that also turns out to be her favorite.

"Sorry sir, table for two is unavailable tonight. Everything is booked" the person responds.

"Can you check again? A table for two under the name Hardin Scott" I hate to use my name but if that's how it's gonna work, I don't give a shit.

"Hardin Scott? Oh of course sir, the table will be ready at 6" he says.

"Very well" I hang up and sit back relaxed, now that all has been prepared.

I have changed into some decent clothes, put on some cologne and now I am just waiting for my beautiful wife to come out of the room.

My phone buzzes again and I silently pray it's no one important from work. It's not, thank god it's just Landon.

"Hello" I answer.

"Hardin where are you?" I'm hearing his voice after so long and it somehow makes me happy.

"I'm there where I always am. How have you been?"

"Oh don't ask. Nora and I are having so much fun here in Hawaii!"

"What? Hawaii? How the fuck did you end up there?" I seriously got to start taking interest in family matters.

"Asshole. We've been here for three days now. I had talked about it to Tessa but I guess you were too busy again"

"Uh-huh. So what is up with your wife? Has she gone mad with you yet?"

"No, not yet" he laughs.

I was about to talk more with him but my eyes fall on Tessa coming out of the room in her not-so-mini white dress with off shoulder puffy sleeves, with laces holding the front and back together from the side. Her hair is straightened and mid parted left open. She has a black clutch in her hand and thin white heels that make her look tall.

"I-" I clear my throat. "I'm gonna ring you back Landon" I hang up and throw my phone aside.

"Tess-" The temperature is rising I guess because suddenly I feel hot and sweaty.

"Is this fancy enough? Because it's sure as hell not comfortab-" I cut her off by pushing my tongue down her throat. She is caught off guard but she plays along and swiftly moves her tongue along with mine. I move my hand to her back, the dress's fabric feels odd against my palm but I grip her tighter. She moans in between and her voice was enough to do the work. Even after years, she holds such affection with me and I cannot be happier.

"I love you" I pull back and cup her face. She smiles and gently places a kiss on my lips.

"Do we have to leave now? Or we've got a little time?" she bites her bottom lip and a shiver runs down my spine.

"We've got all the time in the world" I start unbuttoning my shirt but she stops me.

"I was talking about laundry" she tells me, buttoning the shirt back.

"Fuck Tessa!" I whine and she laughs.

"Don't worry, you said we have the whole day right?" she says seductively, it's so hard to resist this woman.

"We do" I whisper.

"Then what's the problem?" she smirks and takes off to the laundry room after handing me her purse.

I hold her wrist and bring her closer to me. "Let's leave. We can do the laundry later" I sigh and she tuts.

"WE? We can do it later or I can? Because I haven't seen you do a single chore in years" she taunts and I feel the vibe shifting.

"Can you not ruin today?" I tug at my hair and she scoffs.

"I was- you know what? Let's go" she huffs and tries to snatch her purse from me but I hold onto it tight and grab her hand instead. I hold her face with my other hand and collide my lips with her. She inhales and kisses me back with a small smile appearing on her face.

"So this is how you're gonna make up for small arguments?" she shakes her head and I shrug.

"That's the only way" I wink and turn towards the door.

We're in the car and I'm taking her to see a new movie in the theatres. We haven't been in the cinema since years, I vividly remember. Both of us are always too busy or too tired or least interested for watching movies in theatres but I wanted to do something different. We used to watch movies like this in college, that too one or three times, I don't think any of us has been there since that time.

"Where are we going?" she asks adjusting her dress on her chest.

"Can you guess?" I take a glance at her and then at the road. We're almost there so she should be able to guess it by now.

"The movies?" her eyes widen in surprise and she scoffs, looking at me in utter disbelief. "Hardin? Are we really going to the cinema?" she puts her hand on top of mine.

"Yes we are" I nod. "We need some new content to argue upon" I say, remembering our movies and books banters. They were so much fun, none of us was ever ready to give up and that fierce nature of Tessa it used to bring out was my favorite.

"Which one? And why did you insist upon wearing this dress? This is so short and inappropriate for the movies! We wear comfortable clothes in movies and I am here dressed like for the New Year's Eve!" she shakes her head and takes a deep breath. I just try not to lose it today.

"The movies is not just it. We're going somewhere after that too and you cannot wear jeans to that place" I tell her and she sighs, looking outside the window as I pull up in the parking lot.

We get out of the car and she adjusts her dress down, it does seem uncomfortable for her. If I had known, I wouldn't have bought it for her.

I give her my hand and she takes it, giving me a small smile. We lock our fingers in each others. We have come out like this after so long and every moment is making me glad that I took the day off.

"So what movie is it?" she asks as we walk inside.

"I am not sure actually. I had Carla book the tickets for us but she said something about it being emotional. So I'm sure you'll love it" I kiss the side of her head and she laughs.

We settle down on our seats and after spending 30 minutes in the theatre, she leans on my shoulder and I put my arm around her.

"It's so cold" she grits through her teeth.

"You want my coat?" I ask and she looks up at me as if it's obvious that she wants it. I remove it and she wraps it around her shoulders.

I concentrate on Tessa more than the movie. The way she's invested in the movie more than anyone and the faces she makes while watching. About the movie, it couldn't have been more boring. It is a very common story. A girl suffering from some disease and she falls in love with the guy suffering from the same disease. They can't touch or kiss each other, they find a way to spend time with each other in the hospital.

Tessa is enjoying it, I have no idea how. She has cried twice already and we're just 45 minutes into the movie.

I get the urge to check my phone, in attempt to take my eyes off this movie screen for a bit.

6 unopened messages and 2 missed calls from Carla. I already know this might be something urgent. But I am dreading to open them because I don't wanna leave Tessa. Carla is also calling again and again and my curiosity is out of the box.

"What?" I whisper into the receiver and Tessa looks at me.

"Sir, I know you asked not to disturb you-" her voice is wavy, I know she's terrified of me but it's not helping my patience.

"Get to the point. What happened?" I keep my voice low, preventing any head turns.

"Your publicist speaking" the voice changes.

"Denise? How are you on Carla's phone?" I ask and Tessa raises her eyebrows.

"That's not important. I'm here at your office and I need to see you urgently. You are not returning any of my calls since yesterday so I had to come up here. This- your assistant refuses to share your personal phone number with me! Hardin you have get your ass over here right the fuck now" she says and hangs up.

I cannot overrule Denise, she basically handles my career and she is one dangerous woman. I don't accept it but I never had the guts to disobey her or deny her about something. And I've known her for years so I know she will never call me urgently just for some silly reason.

I throw my hand in frustration and Tessa strokes my arm, asking me what happened in a whisper.

"I- I'll have to go" I manage to say it, ignoring the rush of guilt that floods through me after the look on her face.

"Why?" she whispers, I can't tell if she's more hurt or more angry or more disappointed right now.

"Denise says it's urgent" I say and she quickly looks away from me, locking her eyes on the screen. "I'm sorry Tessa. I'll make it up to you" I lean in to kiss her but she pushes me away and removes my coat from her, throwing it on my face.

I phone Carla again.

"Yes sir?" she answers.

"Put Denise on the phone" I say and pray that she listens to my request and I don't have to leave my wife here.

"Tell me" Denise says in a neutral tone.

"I will not be able to make it" I tell her and Tessa turns her head to me.

"Are you fucking serious?" her tone shifts to anger and I can almost piss in my pants right now.

"I need you to understand. I am out with my wife and I cannot leave her alone" I whisper as angrily.

"Hardin, trust me. With the news I've gotten, I think you'll realize this is more important. Your wife will be here always but this news will be gone in a snap. You have to just come over and sign this deal and then you can go back to your wife" she hangs up again.

"I'm really sorry Tess. I need to go" I try to hold her hand but she takes it away. "I'll be back before the movie ends, I promise" I say and she still ignores.

I hate to do this to her but I have no choice. I give her one last look and leave for my office.

***

Author's note-

How do you guys like it till here?! I am so excited for you to read ahead, I feel like posting all the ready chapters once but I can't-

Don't forget to vote and comment! Love youu xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 1.8K 20
This is a story about a girl who falls in love with her best friends older brother. Does he feel the same way? What will happen when he finds out? W...
787K 29.2K 97
𝐀 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐅𝐀𝐂𝐓: you are going to die. does this worry you? ❪ tua s1 ⎯⎯⎯ 4 ❫ © 𝙵𝙸𝚅𝙴𝙷𝚇𝚁𝙶𝚁𝙴𝙴𝚅𝙴𝚂...
364K 31.9K 90
Sequel to my MHA fanfiction: •.°NORMAL°.• (So go read that one first)
9.1K 199 20
Annie and Hayden have been best friends for a long time but what happens when Annie falls for her best friend's brother.