My Liege And I

By Sunset_vermont

My love, can you hear that? It is my heart that beats for you. The dew has long settled, where are you? My f... More

INTRODUCTION
Scent
Wool
Say That Again
Smitten
Groveling
Ruyi
News
Jealous
Queen And I
No Doubt
Pain
Winter
Warmth
Favor
Jaded
Love
Cursed
Shame
Morning After
Leash
Happiness
Drunk Lovers
Soon
Baby
Dead
Mistress
For The Best
Loving Yu'er
Bribe
Leniency
Rabbit
Flowers
Monster
Barbarian
Fly
Forgiveness
Understand
City Gates
Smoke
Huntress
Snakes and Porridge
Obsession
Next Life
Poems and Parting
Till Old
Wedding
Rice
Stained Scrolls
My Liege
Dark
Pigeon
Dimly Lit Embers
Abandoned
The Dragon Poison
Price of War
Sister Nation
The Woman And I
His Weakness
Twin Flames
To Meet Again
Duty
Fated
Merciless
Pursuing Favor
Drown
Purpose
Assassin
The Cause
Pathogen
Get Even
Lord Liege's Desire
Crimson Pendant
To Bear
Tears of Elora
Goat's Heart
Spells and Mirrors
Comrades-in-arms
Retribution
Doom
Three Lifetimes
Sky
Soar
Nevertheless
Running in Futility
My Liege

New Mistress

1.5K 128 46
By Sunset_vermont

Chapter 32

Wei Li Lian
Princess Elora
Her Highness Wei
The Dragon Court

"Your Majesty, that is why this servant has come here to ask for your permission to be separated." Dao kowtowed on the floor after summarising the state her marriage with Luo Meng had come to.

Luo Meng knelt beside her, his face void of any emotion. He had not said a word since they arrived.

"You begged for my marriage edict and now you want to break it?" Yuwen Hong was not having it. He sat on his dragon throne in his formal robes as he had permitted the married couple to see him after his morning meeting.

Women of the Inner Court were not allowed in the Dragon court but since this matter involved her previous maid, Yuwen Hong had asked Li Lian to come, alongside the Grand Dowager Empress who was the head of the Inner Court.

Li Lian sat next to him on the Dragon throne as he was emphasising that she was his equal in and out of their bed. It was something she always complained about and he wanted her appeased concerning it.

The Dowager Empress had her simple chair to their left. She had been quiet too, just as Luo Meng.

"Luo Meng, you want to be separated?" Yuwen Hong's hand subconsciously ran up and down Li Lian's back. That action already told her he was not taking the conflict seriously. He was not going to allow them to part that easily.

"Anything that my wife would like, I will agree to it."

"Which is what?" Yuwen Hong was being obnoxiously difficult, or he was irritated by Luo Meng's coolness to it all. Who knew?

"Parting," Luo Meng replied simply.

Yuwen Hong sat up straight and took the edict he had released for their marriage. He read through it and went silent for a while, deciding on the verdict.

"Write this," he finally said.

The scribe by the stairs took his ink and brush, ready to write a decree.

Yuwen Hong stared at Li Lian as he ushered his decree. Such intensity, it gave her chills and had her heart beating. "Husband and wife are meant to be together as long as they live. Through the difficult times, through misunderstandings, through the tough seasons. Zhen rejects the request of Lady Han. No separation shall take place. Lady Han should go back to her household and be with her husband as soon as possible."

A sound escaped Dao's throat in protest, but she hurriedly remedied herself by joining Luo Meng in declaring. "His Majesty is wise. Thanks to His Majesty."

"Hao," Yuwen Hong was ready to leave as he reached for Li Lian's hand.

"If Your Majesty be so kind as to consider another matter," Luo Meng bowed.

Yuwen Hong stopped his departure and reclined back on the throne.

"What is it?"

Although Luo Meng spoke so calmly, you could tell he was bothered. "This subject wishes to live with his family in harmony, therefore he requests the Grand Dowager to give up his daughter, Luo Lu Yun."

Yuwen Hong turned to his grandmother for answers on what was happening.

"Lu Yun is the child of the servant I raised. I can choose to raise her if I want." The Grand Dowager protested.

"Luo Meng is no longer a servant of yours. He is a shadowguard who serves me now. Therefore, you have no right to that child."

"Children are given up to be raised by royalty all the time. It will be for her benefit."

"However, this is not what the parents want for her."

"Lady Han agrees with me," the old woman protested.

"If Lady Han and her husband are not in agreement on this matter, we both know the head of the household is the man. His wishes are to be respected."

The Grand Dowager huffed. "Since His Majesty invited Her Highness Wei, shall we hear what she thinks?"

Li Lian did not want to speak, she would rather be the person who watched than participating. This had her in a compromising situation because the Grand Dowager was doing this for someone to stand with her. Adding on, Dao was her friend, she should take her side. Then the Grand Dowager had allowed her to become the next empress just so she was her extended hand.

Moreover, Luo Meng was the rat that continuously betrayed her, they did not see eye to eye, she was not supposed to be on his side.

"A child should grow up in his household with his parents." Li Lian ended up taking the side of Luo Lu Yun. The child had done nothing to deserve Li Lian's fate of being raised away from her parents. The palace was cold and unloving when you had no one of your own. The girl deserved happiness.

"Li Lian!" The Grand Dowager seethed in detest. "Impudent! How could you―"

"It is Her Highness to you!" Yuwen Hong barked so loudly that it rang in Li Lian's ears. The veins on his forehand were imprinted. It did not take much to anger him. "She is the future Empress, respect her," Yuwen Hong commanded. "And you will return the child today, I will not tolerate cruelty in my palace."

Li Lian closed her eyes and sighed. She could feel the hateful stare of the Grand Dowager on her. She had betrayed her new mistress and that called for punishment.

"Will Your Majesty be able to come and bid Royal Princess Yang Liu farewell this afternoon?" Li Lian asked Yuwen Hong as they both walked towards the training grounds of the palace. Li Lian was just escorting him, then she would leave for the Phoenix palace where Dao waited for her since they had not seen each other in a long time. 

"My day is busy. Wish her a safe journey on my behalf." 

Yang Liu wanted to heal and let go of the pain, hurt, betrayal, and disappointments experienced in her life, thus she had asked for allowance to travel around the land of Nevoria. Yuwen Hong did give her the permission, but on the condition that she would marry any prince he chose for her when she was back. 

"You are already way past the age many young girls are given into marriage," Yuwen Hong always insisted when he and Yang Liu argued over the fact that she wished not to marry. 

"Her Highness will be sad and think you are against her endeavor if you do not go," Li Lian reasoned, hoping he would change his mind and go that afternoon.

"I am. The only reason I agreed is to have the upper hand on the marriage discussion."

"At least you can pretend for her peace of mind."

"I could, but that is lying."

Li Lian looked away so he would not see her chastising glare. Yuwen Hong could be stubborn and controlling when he wanted to be. That is why she was surprised to feel his hand on her back, and looking back at him, she found his softened eyes. 

"Forgive me for scaring you, earlier. I know I should better manage my temper," he apologized for lashing at the Grand Dowager. 

What he should be doing was apologizing to the Grand Dowager for disrespecting her, but evidently, he did not care about that.

"I was not afraid." Rather, she was intimidated by the consequences of her disobedience towards her mistress.

"Your eyes closed and you sighed. Clearly, you were affected."

Li Lian nodded. He was quite the observant man when it came to her. 

"Yes, but may His Majesty be a little kinder with the Grand Dowager Empress? It is encouraged to honor the elderly."

"Indeed, but you do not know what she is capable of if I am to let loose and give her a little space. I was close to her when I was a prince. I know who she is under the mask."

When he was a prince, the Grand Consort Shu was still locked away due to the Dowager Empress Wang's wicked ways, so the Grand Dowager Empress Wu filled the motherly shoes for him. 

"If you were close, what changed?"

Yuwen Hong stopped at the beginning of the training ground. His men were sparing not so far away from them. 

"I possess what she wants now. The throne. Power." He exhaled. "You have to understand, Li Lian. In the palace, friends becoming enemies and enemies becoming friends, it is not unusual. Anyone will do anything for gain." He took her hand and entwined her fingers with his. "That is what I like about you. You are my only constant and forever."

Li Lian was glad their entourages caught up to them, which took his attention from her, otherwise he would have recognized her guilt. 

"I must leave you now, someone is waiting for me at my palace." 

He frowned. "I thought you would come and watch the servicemen with me. I want to show you Kong Cheng, it was a good recommendation you made for me to take him from the Blacksword Academy. He is good."

She smiled. "That seems tempting, but someone is waiting."

"Just a few ticks of time and you can go. You will not regret it." He engulfed her into his arms and took her with him.

S.V

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41 0 24
Once soaked in your love's tender rain, Wringing it out, dreams of vengeance gain. A heart's metamorphosis, a tale spun, In the echoes of love, reven...
11.7M 700K 97
Rudra was my love and so was I for him until I came to know that everything was just a game. Emotions and blood have that sacred bond that the thick...
1.2K 29 30
Why are you doing this to me please leave me. Darling I married you I treated you like a princess I did everything every single thing a girl can ask...
121K 5.8K 96
Historical Romance Wang Lei, a powerful and unbeatable Emperor of the Wang Dynasty. He is famous, and brave and people fear him. He is known to be...