To Love in Full

By AnneAshAuthor

The failure to put trust into a stranger's words and a simple act of judgement became the catalyst for a trag... More

Author's Note: Scripturient
Character and Story Mood Boards
Dedication
Epigraph
Chapter 1: Duende
Chapter 2: Appetence
Chapter 3: Dépaysement
Chapter 4: Hiraeth
Chapter 5: Sanguine
Chapter 6: Peripeteia
Chapter 7: Aplomb
Chapter 8: Nepenthe
Chapter 9: Mulligrubs
Chapter 10: Nefarious
Chapter 11: Inure
Chapter 12: Oniochalasia
Chapter 13: Balter
Chapter 14: Euphoria
Chapter 15: Mamihlapinatapai
Chapter 17: Ambivalence
Chapter 18: Nemesism
Chapter 19: Metanoia
Chapter 20: Palinoia
Chapter 21: Resfeber
Chapter 22: Natsukashii
Chapter 23: Sobremesa
Chapter 24: Weiji
Chapter 25: Gibigianna
Chapter 26: Cromulent Part: 1
Chapter 27: Cromulent Part: 2
Chapter 28: Phthartic Part: 1
Chapter 29: Phthartic Part: 2
Chapter 30: Cynosure
Chapter 31: Ohana
Chapter 32: Arcadian
Chapter 33: Aeipathy
Chapter 34: Meliorism
Chapter 35: Capernoited Part: 1
Chapter 36: Capernoited Part: 2
Chapter 37: Smultronstalle
Chapter 38: Gotong-royong Part: 1
Chapter 39: Gotong-royong Part: 2
Chapter 40: Forelsket
Chapter 41: Aspectabund
Chapter 42: Soigne
Chapter 43: Torpe
Chapter 44: Epiphany
Chapter 45: Saudade
Chapter 46: Apricity
Chapter 47: Ya'aburnee
Chapter 48: Ukiyo: Part 1
Chapter 49: Ukiyo: Part 2
Chapter 50: Fanaa: Part 1
Chapter 51: Fanaa: Part 2
Chapter 52: Piggesnye
Chapter 53: Novaturient
The End
Book 2 Announcement

Chapter 16: Sankofa

7.7K 118 94
By AnneAshAuthor

Sankofa (n.) (phr.) "Go back and fetch it"; we must look back to the past so that we may understand how we became what we are, and move forward to a better future.

Arabella's P.O.V.

Silence. I was no longer bothered by its eerie looming presence, not now, not this second. Instead, it was invigorating. The estate that is filled with secrets, violence, and deceit was now empty. Footsteps were no longer heard throughout the halls, hushed tones of men that discussed shady business could no longer be heard, and the moonlight, the only light source that illuminated the dark estate, was my confirmation that no one was awake.

I stepped away from the bedroom door and stood in the hallway, letting my pupils dilate to adjust my vision in the dark. My strides were quiet and cautious as I made my way towards Nicolo's office; anxiety overwhelmed me as I was afraid of getting caught, but the feeling of being in the unknown is what fueled my determination to read the contents inside the folder.

As I laced my fingers around the metal doorknob I took a deep breath and turned my wrist, but it did not move; it was stuck. It's locked. My hand that was once cold, felt clammy and hot as I began to sweat from panic.

There has to be a spare key somewhere. I thought to myself as I ran my fingers along the doorframe. Nothing. My fingers met the fabric of a Persian rug as I began to search under it. It's not here, I thought to myself as all I felt was dust along my palm. I stood at the doorway that was blocking me from the answers that I needed, there has to be another way.

I tried to push open the door again, but had no luck as I laid my head against the wood in frustration. I turned my head to the side as I looked at a golden picture frame that shimmered in the moonlight. It wouldn't hurt to try, I thought to myself as I traced my fingers along the frame and smiled triumphantly as I felt metal ridges that belonged to a small key.

I made my way inside Nicolo's office and turned on the lights, but frowned at the sight before me. The papers that laid across his desk were now stacked in a neat pile on the shelves that lined the walls and no folders could be found on his barren desk. I walked behind the table and sat down in his chair as I attempted to open the drawers, but they were all locked. I ran my hand along the underside of his desk in hopes of finding a key, but instead I was met with the cold metal surface of a gun.

Why would someone keep a gun at their desk? I thought to myself as I held the weapon in my hand, observing it closely as I walked towards a bookshelf that held some folders, hoping that it had the one I was looking for.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" a fuming voice asked from behind me. I quickly turned around and my heart stopped when I saw Nicolo standing at the doorway.

"I-I was just-" I tried to mutter out an answer but words stopped coming to mind when Nicolo pulled out a gun from his jacket and pointed it at me.

Fear took over my body as I looked down at my hands and saw that I was still holding his gun from the desk, does he think I'm going to shoot him?

"Drop the gun, Arabella, or I swear to God I'll fucking kill you," he seethed as he focused his aim at me.

I need answers but a folder will not cost me my life, I thought to myself as I set the gun down slowly.

"Now you have ten seconds to explain this shit before I put you back in the cellar," he said as he walked towards me with his gun still raised.

My hands trembled as I began to pick at the sleeves of my shirt, the sound of my heartbeat filled my ears, and I bit my lip as I couldn't come up with an explanation to get out of this horrid situation. I felt frightened, unsettled, and subdued; until I saw it.

I took a deep breath and focused my gaze on Nicolo's eyes, they were dark and filled with animosity. The same feeling coursed through my veins as I glared back at him. I was angry that I was stuck with a man that had no respect for me, I can't allow that any longer.

"Nicolo," I sighed out as I walked towards him.

"As I mentioned before, I am not afraid of you," I said as I took a step closer and felt the cold metal tip of the gun touch my chest.

"So please..." I continued as I put my hand on his shoulder and gave him a fake smile filled with pity.

"The next time you make a threat towards me..." I said as I trailed my fingertips down to his elbow and raised his arm so that the gun was now pointed at my head.

"... a pathetic threat," I emphasized as I traced my fingers along has hand and towards the metal surface of the gun.

"Make sure the safety is off," I taunted as I switched off the safety of the gun and smiled at the monstrous man, daring him to pull the trigger.

I stared at Nicolo as his eyes blazed with fury; his hand began to shake as he pushed the gun harder against my forehead and his finger trembled against the trigger. I clenched my jaw tight and closed my eyes, still standing my ground. The cold metal left my skin and my eyes opened when Nicolo shoved me against the wall and placed his forearm against my throat, slightly constricting me from air.

"I don't ever want to see your fucking face in this office again. Do you understand?" he asked and I turned my head to avoid looking at him.

"I said, do you fucking understand?" he repeated as his glare narrowed towards me.

When I refused to respond he began to push his forearm harder against my neck, but before he could hurt me any further I shoved him away.

"Don't ever touch me like that again," I said, wanting to yell, but came out as a whisper as my lips began to tremble.

I began to walk away and pushed past him with my shoulder as I bit my lip, trying to hold back my tears. My chest heaved as I tried to control my breathing and my fingernails dug into my palm, leaving red marks.

Once I got to my room I slid into bed and closed my eyes. You can't cry if your eyes are shut, I thought to myself and shook my head at the dimwitted idea. I let out a shaky breath as I tried to regain my composure and turned onto my side so that I was facing the window, wondering when Alexander would be back.

It has been about two hours since the sun's first ray of light peered into the window. I had not slept much last night, I could not sleep knowing that my questions will never be answered. The folder holds information about Alexander, my brother that I barely know. I wanted to learn more about my family and how my parents were caught up in all of this mess, a mess that I now have to deal with.

A knock at the door pulled me out of my thoughts and I smiled at the person who came to visit.

"Are you alright, Bella?" Viviana asked worriedly as she walked over to the bed.

"I'm fine, just tired."

"Your eyes are bloodshot! Did you get any sleep last night?" she asked and I shook my head.

"Is this because of Nico? Do I need to cut off his balls and shove them down his throat?"

"No! Everything is fine," I replied with a light chuckle.

"I'm here if you need someone to talk to," she said with a concerned tone in her voice.

"Thank you, Viviana," I replied with a smile and she gave one in return.

"Your belongings are here, they're downstairs in a few boxes!" she chirped, sticking out her hand for me to grab.

"And don't worry, the men are out handling some business," she said as she helped me out of bed.

When we reached the boxes, a smile formed on my lips as I saw that they were filled with my clothes and books. Viviana helped me carry them to my room, and after a few trips up and down the stairs we flopped down onto the bed.

"Thank you so much for helping me," I managed to say as I stared up at the ceiling.

"You don't have to thank me. You've helped me more just by being here..." she said as she turned towards me with her elbow on the bed and her head in her palm.

"... I finally have a friend," she said quietly and smiled at me.

"I'm really glad that we met and became close, I wouldn't know what I would do without you," I replied as I turned to her and smiled.

"Oh! I almost forgot," I gasped out as I sat up on the edge of the bed.

"Your bracelet," I said as I began to unhook the clasp.

"No, Bella it's alright!" she said as she shook her head and placed her hand on my wrist

"I want you to have it, it looks better on you than it does on me, and plus I have no place to wear it out to," she said as she smiled sadly at her hands.

"Are you sure, Viviana?" I asked as I placed my hand over hers.

"Please, take it as a gift, it would make me happy. I wish I could do more to give back to you for taking me out to the city, but the bracelet is the best I can do," she replied and gave me a reassuring smile.

I smiled kindly in return and watched as she continued to stare at me.

"What is it?" I chuckled lightly and she took a deep breath before responding.

"I wish my mom could be here right now," she sighed out.

"She was always disappointed in me; she thought that I was befriending people from the wrong crowd, and I guess she was right. I mean look where I am now," she said as she chuckled and shook her head.

"I wonder if she would finally be happy with me if she saw that I have you as a friend," she continued as she looked at me and I saw tears brim her eyes.

"She would've loved you, I bet she would've thought you were the perfect daughter, something that I could've never been," she said quietly as she began to wipe away some tears.

I wrapped my arms around her and embraced her in a hug as she wept quietly on my shoulder; before I could reassure her that her mom would be more than happy with her right now, a knock was heard at the door and she pulled away.

I glared at Nicolo as he walked through the doorway and gave us a confused look, but quickly dismissed it.

"Leave us," he said as he looked at Viviana and I gave her hand one last squeeze before she left the room.

"I see you've started to settle in," he said as he walked towards me while eyeing the boxes.

"What do you want, Nicolo?" I asked with irritation in my voice as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You know, Arabella, after the events that took place last night, I cursed myself for being so careless and so foolish for hiding a very important key in a place so obvious that even an idiot could find," he continued as I clenched my jaw at his passive insult and glared at him, impatiently waiting for him to finish his speech.

"But you..." he chuckled as he stared deeply into my eyes.

"... you are far worse at hiding your secrets, Arabella," he said with a smirk.

What is he talking about?

"You are not innocent," he said lowly as he stepped closer and leaned down towards me.

I have done nothing wrong, what in the world is he on about?

"From now on you will respect my privacy..." he whispered into my ear as he reached into his jacket.

"... and I'll respect yours," he said as he held something against my chest.

My breathing became more rapid as I felt his lips brush up against my ear and tingles started to travel throughout my body. When I looked down at the object that he held against my chest, my heart stopped beating and my eyes widened. I watched as he trailed the object down my chest, along my breasts and towards my stomach. The object was small and black with silver lining at the bottom, it was something that I missed terribly, but loathed at this very moment.

My vibrator.

Nicolo placed it into my hand and stepped back, I watched as his smirk widened from ear to ear as he looked at my reddened face that was covered with shock and embarrassment.

"Don't forget that you no longer live alone, Arabella!" he called out over his shoulder as he left my room.

Where am I supposed to hide this now? I asked myself angrily as I gripped the toy in my hand.

I lied down in bed and groaned at the ceiling, feeling bitter that Nicolo has left me with two new problems to deal with.

*****

Author's Note:

Hello Everyone,

Hmm, I wonder what those two new problems are. This might be my favorite chapter so far! What do you guys think?

-Love, A

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

246K 3.7K 63
Being lied to and sold probably is not a good thing to most people. But for Camilla it was worst then death. To Luciano it was necessary. What happen...
96.8K 2K 49
× Book One Of The Red Mafia Series × "I don't understand how you could do that to me. I trusted you." I whimpered. "That's your fault." "I hate you...
977K 34.2K 69
-COMPLETE- [09. 10. 20. - 03. 06. 21] Angelo Giovanni had eyes for a certain fiery black haired beauty. No matter what he couldn't just get enough of...