Storm and Sea - Book 1

By TaraZamir

Luca and Alberto reunite after three long years apart, and quickly Alberto realizes that things have changed... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16 - Finale

Chapter 8

14.3K 437 1K
By TaraZamir

TW in the Description
Credit to: Inkendz on Instagram for the art!

Luca POV

The pain in his leg was the first sensation that returned to Luca. He knew he was awake, but for some reason, he couldn't open his eyes. He felt groggy, like a fog had descended over his mind. Slowly, different sensations began to reach him.

Smell. The air smelled like cleaning supplies

Sight. Small patches of light began to flicker through his eyelids, but he still couldn't open them.

Hearing. He could hear the steady beeping of a heart monitor as well as some quiet chatter in the distance.

Touch. The pain in his leg, his head, almost everywhere. But there was....something else.

A warmth spread through him coming from his hand. He let that warmth seep into his body. Comforting him. Relaxing him. Suddenly the pain didn't seem so bad. He knew that if he clung to that warm sensation coming from his hand, he would be ok.

He drifted away once again.

The next time Luca's consciousness came back to him, his senses were stronger. His mind felt sharper and the pain lessened. All the sensations came back to him. The smell of cleaner, the sounds of the heart monitor but most importantly - this feeling in his hand. This time he began to hear someone talking to him. Luca strained his ears, but the words came to him in a jumbled mush of sound.

He listened. Then he realized he knew this sound—this voice. In a blur, he heard -

"I think I know the answer now - Luca. I think I'm in lo-"

He tried to call out the name, but his mouth was stiff. He pushed through the mental barrier and tried to regain control of himself.

"b...rto." He managed to get out. Luca tried again and again. Slowly, like someone pouring water into a glass, he regained himself. His eyes opened, blinking away the harsh light. Luca looked to where the sound was coming from.

And there he was. Alberto, holding his hand.

Alberto POV

Luca spent the next five days in the hospital. Mattias wanted to monitor his head injury while making sure his leg wound didn't become infected. Alberto had been discharged and free to go home the day Luca woke. But he didn't leave. When Mattias had said visiting hours were over, it took one menacing glare from Alberto for the doctor to give up and let Alberto stay the nights.

Alberto only left Luca's side for the restroom and to call a nurse whenever Luca showed any sign of discomfort. He walked around on foamy slippers Mattias had given him to keep from breaking open the cuts on his feet. Alberto looked down at the fluffy slippers and bared his teeth. They were bright pink and in the shape of bunny rabbits.

"I'm gonna kill that guy." He said.

Luca laughed, "I think they're funny."

"Well, the second we get home, they're eating trash," Alberto said, flicking his foot, so the ears flopped.

"No! I'll take them if you're just going to throw them away," Luca said.

"Deal. As long as I don't ever have to see them again."

Giulia came by every day. She told Luca and Alberto that the little girl they saved was safe and back with her parents. The village of Carollina was safe thanks to the early warning Luca gave them, but they stayed on the deep side of the reef for now. Just as a precaution.

"Papa said that the police are going to have patrol boats at the front of the harbor every night now," Giulia said, eating a Jello cup that was meant for Luca.

"That's good." Luca sighed. He had been the most worried since the incident.

"Plus," she said, swallowing, "All the hotels and local bed and breakfasts are giving their rooms to any Sireni that want to take refuge on land."

"Wow," Alberto said, his heart warmed by the generosity of the people. "I never would have expected that."

Giulia smirked at him. "Well, start expecting it. The people love you guys."

Both Alberto and Luca smiled.

"But I do have some bad news." Giulia cleared her throat. "A lot of fishermen are losing their boats."

"Why?" Alberto said indignantly. He had sailed with almost every fisherman in the town. He touched the sharktooth necklace on his chest.

"Their investors are taking them back." She said, scraping for any more jello at the bottom of the cup. "Most people in Portorosso took out loans from the bank to get their boats. But when our small bank couldn't give out any more loans, they turned to the richest family in town to do the same thing."

"Who's that?" Luca asked.

"The Viscose family," Giulia said in disgust.

"Wait." Alberto held up a hand. "Viscose? Like Ercole Viscose?"

"The very same slimebag." She confirmed.

"Why are they taking the boats back now?" Luca asked. Giulia shrugged her shoulders.

"Who knows. But what I do know is that a lot of people are going to be in trouble without their boats. Papa is furious."

"His boat isn't one of them, is it?" Alberto asked.

"No, no. Papa owns that boat."

Just then, the door to the room opened, and Doctor Romano walked in.

"Busy as usual, I see." He said, looking at Luca's two visitors. "How are you feeling?"

"Very good, Doctor Romano," Luca replied politely.

"No, he isn't," Alberto interjected. "His leg is hurting. I can tell. He needs another dose of pain killers."

"Albeeeertooo." Luca warned. Luca had taken to hiding his pain so Alberto wouldn't worry. It didn't work.

"Oh really?" Mattias said, raising an eyebrow.

"No! I'm fine, really," Luca said, waving his hands.

Alberto took one finger and pressed it by Luca's knee, keeping far away from the wound. Even that made Luca recoil in pain. He groaned.

Alberto looked at Mattias. "See?"

"I'll have a nurse come in and give him another light dose."

"Thank you so much for taking care of our dear little Luca." Giulia suddenly said, looking at Mattias with sparkly eyes.

"Of course." Mattias smiled professionally. "And I didn't get your name?"

"Giulia. I am Alberto's sister."

"Um. Are you also a Sirena?" He asked quizzically.

Giulia laughed and waved a hand. "No, no - adopted brother."

"Oh. Then what a special family you have." He said nicely. "I'll be back to check on you later." And he walked from the door.

Giulia giggled and did a small dance in her chair as soon as the door closed.

"What the heck was that?" Alberto scorned.

"What?" She said.

"That!" He said, pointing at the door then back at her. "Are you serious? You like Mattias?"

"So what if I do?" She said defensively, flicking her hair behind her back.

"Uh - two reasons," Alberto said, leaning back in his chair. " First of all, he's gotta be like thirty years older than you, and secondly, aren't you moving a little fast? Didn't you just get over liking someone else?"

Giulia blanched.

"First of all!" She said, pointing aggressively. Luca shrank back into his pillows. "He is only eleven years older. I checked."

"That's still bad!" Alberto called, but she continued.

"And secondly! - If you're talking about when I crushed on Luca, then just say so."

"Guys, guys," Luca said, trying to ease the situation, but they ignored him.

"I got over Luca pretty fast when I learned a certain something." Giulia continued. "At least I had the guts to confess my feelings. What's your excuse? Just tell him alrea-"

"Hey!" Alberto shouted over her cutting her off. "Shouldn't you go looking for some more jello cups or something?"

She glared at him. "Fine." And with that, she left the room, slamming the door behind her.

"Albertoooo." Luca groaned. "You shouldn't fight. You're family."

"She needs to learn when to keep her mouth shut." He simmered.

"What did she mean, though? About... you know. Confessing feelings and stuff?" Luca asked, his cheeks a little red.

"It's nothing," Alberto said.

Giulia really needed to keep her nose out of this. He wasn't ready. Telling Luca? No way. Not with so much going on in Portorosso right now. He needed to be focusing on other things, namely, keeping Luca as far from those mercenaries as he could.

A few days later, Mattias finally said Luca could go home. Alberto helped Luca stand, offering his shoulder for support. Luca's body slumped against him, but Alberto held him easily.

"He's so light." Alberto thought.

Ever since Alberto had started to acknowledge his feelings for Luca, it was harder to be near him. He had to focus twice as hard on holding himself back or not saying any of the thoughts running through his head.

Luca would be using crutches for a few weeks. Alberto helped slip them under his arms and get the hang of using them. They walked out of the hospital together. Luca took a deep breath, letting the sun beat down on his face.

"Feels so good to be out." He said, melting into the sun's warm rays.

"Don't worry," Alberto said, touching his shoulder. "You'll be causing trouble with me in these streets in no time."

Luca laughed. "I think you're the one that usually causes the trouble."

"Yeah, but I need you there to keep me from doing the really dumb stuff."

"Deal."

Massimo gave Luca a gentle hug as soon as they walked into the house. Alberto had to help him up the stairs and into a chair for dinner. Giulia was quieter than usual. Alberto hoped she wasn't still mad over their argument at the hospital.

"Hey," Alberto whispered to his sister as Massimo told old sailor's jokes making Luca laugh so hard he could hardly eat his diner.

"What?" Giulia said back.

"You aren't still mad about what I said - you know I am just looking out for you, right?"

"Don't worry about it. I already forgot." She said, twirling her pasta with a fork, not eating.

"Then what's wrong?" He asked.

"Well, Luca is home now, and of course, I'm happy about that, but..." She sighed.

Alberto rolled his eyes. "He is too old for you!"

"What do you know about it?" She hissed.

"What are you guys talking about?" Luca asked, recovering from another joke.

"Nothing." They both said at the same time.

"Buonanotte ragazzi," Massimo said as he went to his room.

It was late, and everyone was tired. Giulia gave Luca a big hug, punched Alberto on the shoulder, and went to bed. Luca tried to reach for his crutch.

"Here, let me help," Alberto said, taking it and helping Luca to his feet.

"Thanks." Luca winced as a pang went up his leg.

"It's time for another dose of your medicine. You'll need it to sleep." Usually, Luca protested taking any painkillers, but Alberto could tell he was hurting more than usual.

"Ok." Luca agreed and hobbled on his crutches to the room. As he sat down on his bed Alberto grabbed the orange pill bottle and poured a tablet into his hand.

"Here." He said giving Luca the tablet and a glass of water. Luca took both gratefully, then relaxed onto his pillows. Alberto watched him wince every time he moved.

"I wish I could take some of it away," Alberto said quietly in the dark room.

Luca smiled sadly. "It's ok, Alberto. It wasn't your fault; you saved me."

"That doesn't change the fact that I wish I could take the pain for you."

"You don't mean that," Luca said, leaning his head back against the wall.

"I do," Alberto said so seriously that Luca turned to face him. "I mean every word."

Alberto felt his heart quicken with his own words and the intensity with which he meant them. Luca turned away.

"Am I just making him uncomfortable? Does he want me to stop saying those kinds of things?" Alberto's mind scrambled, trying to read Luca's thoughts.

"How can I tell him? How can I tell him what is in my heart?" Alberto wanted to. He wanted to shout to the person sitting in front of him, to spill every feeling built up inside his chest.

But he couldn't. Because there was only one person in this world capable of breaking Alberto's heart, and that person was sitting right in front of him.

"Good night," Alberto said and left the room. He couldn't stand to be alone with Luca anymore than that. His mind would explode.

Alberto walked into his own sparsely decorated room and turned out the lights, pulling his thin covers over himself. He felt the pull of sleep and fell into it, thankfully.

Luca lying on the beach in a pool of crimson. A steel net wrapped around him so tightly, it cut into every part of his frail body. Alberto screamed as he saw Luca's disfigured face, his flesh falling off as the steel cables cut him open.

Alberto ran to him, pulling the cables off. But the more he pulled, the more the nets cut into Luca's body. Soon the love of his life lay in pieces on the beach, Alberto kneeling in the bloody remains.

"NO!" Alberto yelled, throwing himself so fast he fell from the bed in a tangled mass of limbs and sheets. He thrashed until he realized he was in his room.

Loud thundering footsteps flew down the hall before Massimo burst into the room.

"Figlio! Are you alright?" He said with concern.

"Yes!" Alberto detangled himself and stood. "Yes, sorry. Just a nightmare."

Massimo looked at him with a worried expression.

"If you need to talk about it, I would be happy to listen." He said earnestly.

"No, no. I'm ok, just startled me a bit." Alberto waved his hands, already climbing back into bed.

Massimo grunted but didn't seem convinced. He wished Alberto good night before closing the door.

But Alberto didn't sleep.

He stared at the ceiling, his mind a complete mess. All he could see were the mangled remains of Luca. Luca's body in a net. Luca still and unmoving. His green scales littering the beach, his blood dyeing the water.

Alberto took several calming breathes, trying to slow his heart. But nothing worked. He couldn't take it anymore. He walked from his room and stood in front of Luca's door.

"This is stupid." He thought to himself. He knew Luca was ok. But nothing would calm his heart except seeing it with his own eyes. Alberto cracked the door open and peeked inside. Snoozing peacefully in his bed, Luca gave a cute snore. Alberto smiled and closed the door.

"There see? He is fine." But the second Alberto stepped back into his room, the visions started again. He took to sitting outside Luca's door, pressing his ear against the wooden planks. Occasionally he could hear Luca's steady breathing. Only then did Alberto relax.

He realized that he hadn't been apart from Luca since... well, since it happened. Alberto had been by his hospital bed day and night. But now - he couldn't stand to be apart. Or his heart would crumble with worry.

"You're being a complete creep." Alberto thought, cursing to himself. But even so... he couldn't leave. He eventually fell into a fitful sleep, his head still pressed against the wall.

~.~.~.~

Alberto woke in the early morning to the sound of Giulia walking to the restroom. He scrambled to his feet before she could see him and waited in his room.

He left his room at the same time as Luca, pretending to yawn. He had hardly slept.

"Gmornin." Luca slurred as he rubbed his eyes groggily.

It was so cute. So simple and alive that Alberto couldn't hold himself back. He took a step towards Luca and gently wrapped his arms around Luca's shoulders.

"A-Alberto?" Luca questioned.

"Just wanted to say good morning too," Alberto said into his ear, not letting go. He held Luca for one - two - three more breaths.

Eventually, Alberto released his grip and looked at Luca. Luca stared back at him, his ears unmistakably pink as he balanced on one leg with the crutches.

"He smells so good." The scent of the Sea washed over Alberto. Their faces were so close to each other. Alberto could feel Luca's breath.

"I want to kiss him." Alberto thought, leaning in closer. They were so close that their noses nearly touched when...

(Credit to: inkendz on Instagram)

"Boys! Breakfast is ready."

Alberto's eyes widened with shock at what he was about to do. He took a few stumbling steps back and cleared his throat aggressively.

"Be there in a sec!" He called back. He looked at Luca one more time. All that desire in his chest was still raging inside him.

"Alberto I..." Luca started to say, but Alberto cut him off.

"Let's go get some breakfast! C'mon, or Giulia will eat all your bacon."

"I heard that! And I will." A voice called back from the kitchen.

Alberto turned without looking back at Luca.

"WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?!?!?!" He screamed inside his head. His stomach churned.

"What was he about to say?" He thought back to Luca's words.

"Alberto....I - Don't see you that way." Alberto finished Luca's sentence in his head. He just knew that Luca was about say that...he wasn't interested. Alberto had stopped him from saying anything. He couldn't stand to feel Luca's rejection. Not now. It would destroy him.

Luca hobbled over to the breakfast table a moment later.

He and Alberto avoided eye contact all through breakfast.....

Italian Translations

Sireni - Merpeople (Plural)
Sirena - Merperson (Female)
Sireno - Merperson (Male)
Buonanotte - Good Night
Ragazzi - Kids
Figlio - Son

Authors Note:

Thank you all for your support! Stay tuned for Chapter 9! I think you're gonna like it ;)
- TaraZamir
Follow my Instagram: tara_zamir

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38 0 10
After years of hiding in the shadows, from plain sight, their species have been revealed to the world. Mercenaries from across the oceans have begun...
284K 6.9K 20
Portorosso has fallen, and life has changed forever for all Sea Monsters. Mercenaries rule the ocean waters, and Sea Monsters have to hide or perish...
27.6K 734 28
I don't usually write fan fictions, but I figured I would give this a try, I've watched Luca ALOT and I am a huge shipper, so this is about their reu...
629 24 21
We've all seen the movie Luca, but have you ever wondered what the characters were thinking? Or what Giulia does other than training? Well hopefully...