The Forgotten Duchess

By MoonlightHunter3

After fleeing her burnt village, a woman with a mysterious past takes refuge in the home of a reticent duke... More

The Forgotten Duchess
Chapter One | Insolence
Chapter Two | Voices
Chapter Three | Surprise
Chapter Four | Mistake
Chapter Five | Research
Chapter Six | Confession
Chapter Seven | Roles
Chapter Eight | Kitten
Chapter Nine | Noir
Chapter Ten | Study
Chapter Eleven | Aunt
Chapter Twelve | Dress
Chapter Thirteen | Menu
Chapter Fourteen | Promise
Chapter Fifteen | Riding
Chapter Sixteen | Friends
Chapter Seventeen | Pale-maille
Chapter Eighteen | Moonlight Sonata
Chapter Nineteen | Unrequited
Chapter Twenty | Village
Chapter Twenty-One | Hunt
Chapter Twenty-Two | Saviour
Chapter Twenty-Three | Dismissal
Chapter Twenty-Four | Irrigation
Chapter Twenty-Five | London
Chapter Twenty-Six | Urchin
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Bond Street
Chapter Twenty-Eight | Wellington
Chapter Twenty-Nine | Debutante
Chapter Thirty | Waltz
Chapter Thirty-One | Parliament
Chapter Thirty-Two | Dowry
Chapter Thirty-Three | Chess
Chapter Thirty-Four | Wish
Chapter Thirty-Five | Return
Chapter Thirty-Six | Theatre
Chapter Thirty-Seven | Offer
Chapter Thirty-Eight | Garden
Chapter Thirty-Nine | Truth
Chapter Forty | Lineage
Chapter Forty-One | Lost
Chapter Forty-Two | Companionship
Chapter Forty-Three | Key
Chapter Forty-Four | Wedding
Chapter Forty-Five | Gossip
Chapter Forty-Six | Backbone
Chapter Forty-Seven | Departure
Chapter Forty-Eight | Governess
Chapter Forty-Nine | Torture
Chapter Fifty | Darkness
Chapter Fifty-One | Water
Chapter Fifty-Two | Rescue
Chapter Fifty-Three | Hope
Chapter Fifty-Four | Belief
Chapter Fifty-Five | Awake
Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Other Stories

Chapter Fifty-Six | Duchess

8.5K 516 129
By MoonlightHunter3

A special dedication to all the readers for staying till the end of Vivienne and James' journey.

"I BROUGHT YOU something to eat!"

Vivienne tore her gaze from the book she'd been reading to see Agatha standing in the doorway with a tray of food in her hands.

"What are you doing? I thought one of the maids would bring it up for me," she admonished.

As much as it annoyed Vivienne, she still hadn't gained enough strength to climb down the stairs and join the others for meals. Hence, she'd requested a tray be sent up to her room.

Agatha placed the tray on the bed, before lifting the metal covers. Dozens of pleasant scents filled the room. The bed dipped as her governess sat down, her warm brown eyes meeting Vivienne's, "I wanted to spend some more time alone with you."

Vivienne simply reached out and squeezed Agatha's hand in response. Her eyes filtered down to the tray, where an assortment of delicious toast, rolls, and jams were laid out.

"Did you bring the entire table up here?"

Agatha rolled her eyes, "Of course not. Lady Torrington would not let me leave until I'd taken a sample of at least half the table. She proclaimed that some of these delicacies were your favourites."

Vivienne's heart warmed at hearing that the dowager countess paid enough attention to her eating habits to know what she liked. She picked up a piece of toast, with a bright red jam on top. Taking a large bite, she chewed the food slowly, taking a sip of tea to help her digest it.

She gestured towards the food, "Help yourself, I cannot finish this all."

Her governess shook her head, "No, I already ate downstairs."

Vivienne nodded, as eyes drank in Agatha's appearance. Her dark hair had a few streaks of grey but besides that, her governess looked the same. "It still seems like a dream to me that you are here."

Agatha smiled softly, and her eyes crinkled in response. "It is the best dream then, no?"

Vivienne grinned, "It definitely is."

Agatha's brown eyes travelled to the pendant on her neck. Her smiled dimmed, as she gave Vivienne her full attention, "I'm so sorry for keeping the truth of your heritage from you. I should have told you earlier. It might have prevented many events that ultimately unfolded."

Vivienne returned the toast to the plate, "There is nothing to forgive Agatha. You did what you thought was in our best interest and what my father would have wanted. I might not have understood your decisions at first, but I do now. Not to mention that you held off the mercenaries and told me to run. I felt guilty for the longest time, thinking I was responsible for your death."

Warm hands cupped her cheeks, "That is nothing to be guilty of Viv. I would have died to protect you. You are my family."

Tears gathered in the corner of Vivienne's eyes, "And you are mine." she gave a weak laugh, "But I'm glad that you didn't die. I've missed you so much in the time we have been apart."

"As have I sweetheart," Agatha brushed the strands of hair out of Vivienne's face. "I'm also sorry to have missed your debut into society, I remember making a promise that I would stand beside you on that day. But it brings be great joy to see that you've become quite the fine lady; your parents would be proud."

The compliment meant more to Vivienne than she could ever express. She huffed out a laugh, "I don't think my debut would be deemed a success..."

"There is always next year Viv, do not fret. You have me now and we can face it all together."

"I'd like that very much," Vivienne admitted. "A fresh start with you."

Her governess smiled, "And you shall get that." Agatha held up the plate with the toast, "Now eat, there will be time for us to speak later as well."

Vivienne accepted the plate, doing as Agatha commanded. With her governess by her side, a bit of her heart slowly mended itself. An important piece of her family was with her once more.

***

Vivienne scowled. Her feet were tired from walking back and forth across the plush rug. She was bored of being cooped in the room, with nothing to look at but cobbled streets. Vivienne would never take the view for granted after what she'd been through, but seeing other faces and fresh air still appealed to her. There was a knock on the door, and she eagerly walked towards it, pulling it open.

On the other side stood James. Vivienne took her time to view his appearance in the sunlight. Although his dark hair was still set in place, the circles underneath his eyes showed her that he clearly wasn't sleeping much. His framed seemed thinner, even in his usual smartly pressed waistcoat and cravat.

"May I come in?"

She stepped to the side and got a smell of his musky scent as he walked by. She didn't close the door fully, leaving it ajar. He stood in the middle of the room, glancing around.

"How have you been?" she asked softly.

James blinked once, evidently taken back by her question. He cleared his throat, "I'm fine. I wasn't the one who was unconscious for the last week."

Vivienne shook her head and sighed, "No, but you were the one who dove back into the water to rescue me. I did not get the chance to thank you for it earlier, so thank you."

"You don't need to thank me Viv," he said gruffly, even as his face warmed slightly.

Vivienne saw the slight blush, but she shook her head. It had to be because of the lighting, James never blushed. "Agatha shared with me how you also fell ill after the first night. I do hope you are taking care of yourself."

The scowl returned and James' features hardened, "She had no right to share that with you."

"But she did."

James' gaze left her face and travelled to the tray by her bedside. She'd eaten a bit of the toast and nibbled on a few other dishes, but a large portion remained untouched. It seemed that it would take her sometime for her appetite to return.

"I can see that I've disturbed you," he said walking towards her and extended his hand. "I just wanted to return this back to you, since it was originally yours, and I took it without your knowledge."

Vivienne picked up the key from his hand, and she stopped herself from shivering when her nails scrapped his palm lightly. She held it up to the light, feeling the initials engraved in them. It was amazing that the key had been in her pendant all this time only for her to never notice. It was also remarkable that her father had known that her and James' destinies would intertwine one day and thus placed the key in her care, and the safe in James'.

She held it for a few more seconds before passing it back to James. "Keep it, the key is useless without the safe and conversely the safe is useless without the key."

James nodded, taking it back. This time, Vivienne was careful not to let their fingers brush. There was silence and Vivienne cleared her throat, "I may need a few more days but Agatha and I shall leave soon."

James' brows furrowed, "What are you talking about?"

"I know I probably cannot return to my aunt's house—"

"And you never shall," James vowed. "That woman is despicable, and I had a very unpleasant chat with her, but I do believe my words were impactful. She will not bother you any longer."

Vivienne swallowed the rush of emotions that arose. James was always looking after her, even when she didn't know. He really was her guardian angel. She met his amber coloured-eyes, "Another thing I must thank you for. Truly, I am glad that you spoke with her. I only feel terrible for Grayson now, he will grow up without a father..."

She could imagine her cousins sorrowful gaze and tears threatened to slip in the corner of her eyes. No, she wouldn't abandon Grayson. Vivienne would ensure that she was allowed to visit her cousin even if she had to forcefully let herself into their house. Thinking about Grayson made her remember her uncle. She was reminded of the fact that she had not been able to visit his grave. The funeral had occurred while she was unconscious, but she knew she needed to visit him to close this chapter in her life.

"The boy shall be fine," James said, snapping her from her thoughts. "We both grew up without father's and turned out alright."

Vivienne eyed him suspiciously, the light attempt at humor did not go unnoticed by her. Her lips curled upwards, "I do believe we did."

James eyes moved across the rest of the room, narrowing on her trunks in the corner. His lips dipped. Apparently, James wished for the room to be cleared as soon as possible. She cleared her throat drawing his gaze away from the trunks, "Agatha said she would begin looking for a place immediately, do not worry, we will be gone soon."

"There is no need for you to go anywhere else, you can stay here," James said stubbornly.

"James, I know this is your bachelor residence and I would not want to disturb any guest you might have..." the last few words made her skin warm with a blush. "Besides, you may bring a duchess one day and then I'll have to leave anyways."

The silence stretched uncomfortably between them as she saw James' eyes darken, "Yes I will bring a duchess—"

Vivienne's heart sank upon hearing the words.

"—You."

"What?" she spluttered. She evidently hadn't heard him correctly.

His amber eyes glazed, turning almost an orange hue. He stepped closer, determination filling his face. "You heard me Vivienne, I said this before when you were unconscious which was cowardly, but I'm not afraid to admit it anymore. You are the only duchess I ever want. I want you to nag me throughout the days, I want to go riding with you, play chess and swap books, dance at soirées, laugh in the sun and have dozens of picnics. I want it all with you, because the truth is, I love you."

Heat rose in Vivienne's cheeks. Surely, she was dreaming because James had not just confessed his love for her. She opened her mouth foolishly, "Do you truly want me, even with the scandal attached to my name? I do not belong into society, and they have not welcomed me. Surely you deserve a duchess with a pristine reputation..."

James laughed, but it sounded more like a choking sound. He stepped closer, holding both of her hands into his warm ones. "Vivienne, didn't you just listen to me? I don't want anyone else, only you. It is you who brightens up my day, who found a place in the heart I was afraid to open after my parents' death. But somehow you crawled in, and I want you to stay, now and forever."

Vivienne saw the raw honesty in his gaze. Finally, James' walls had come crumbling down and he'd laid everything out in the open. She'd waited for this moment forever. There was a flutter in her stomach, and she reached to place her right palm on his cheek. The stubble scratched her hand.

She liked the feeling. Usually, James kept his face clean shaven but there was a different appeal in the various textures of his face. James was still under her exploration, but she felt his warm breath caressing her.

She reached up to the points of her toes and pressed her mouth against James. He was still for a moment, unresponsive before something clicked within him. His arm snaked around her waist, and he pulled her tight to his body. Her every curve was pressed against his hardness. His mouth brushed against hers fiercely as if he was burning and taking Vivienne with him.

She opened her mouth when he bit her lips gently as his tongue claimed hers. Her body flushed, and she let out a moan. It had been too long since she'd felt this. Her body ached to be closer to James and heat pooled into her core, as he expertly played with her mouth like a skilled musician with his instrument. She raised her other hand to rake her fingers through his dark hair. He groaned and she smiled at the sound. She liked hearing him be vocal.

"Ahem."

They broke apart, both breathless and panting. There was a shine in James' eyes and Vivienne was sure it was mirrored in her own.

"I leave for one moment and then I come back to see you both locking lips!"

Vivienne blushed a bright red as she turned to face Lady Torrington in the doorway. Her governess stood behind the dowager countess, and she could see the disapproving look on both their faces. Vivienne tried creating a larger distance between herself and James, but he still held her hand in his, as if it was a perfectly normal occurrence.

Lady Torrington's grey eyes narrowed at their hand holding before she looked up to meet her nephew's gaze. "What do you have to say for yourself James?"

James shrugged his shoulders. "That you should expect this more often?"

"James!" Vivienne admonished as her mouth remained open at his words.

He looked down at her, and she could see the laughter in his face. Vivienne turned back to Lady Torrington, horrified of what the dowager's expression might be but it seemed like Lady Torrington's face was also twitching?

A harsh laugh burst out of the dowager countess. "Ah, I was expecting this. It's about time that the two of you got together. I must say, it took longer than I had predicted."

Vivienne was surprised that the dowager countess approved of their relationship. Her eyes travelled to Agatha, who was also smiling. "I'm guessing this means that you will not be having another season..."

"Precisely," James cut in. "You can also forget about the idea that Vivienne will be living with you because she will be staying here, with me."

Lady Torrington narrowed her eyes, "That is completely preposterous! Unmarried individuals do not reside together. It will be the scandal of the season."

Privately, Vivienne agreed with Lady Torrington's assessment. However, it seemed that James was not to be deterred. "I can procure a special licence so it will no longer be scandalous."

Vivienne gasped audibly. "I want to be courted properly first," she said stubbornly.

He had avoided her this season, but she would no longer let him do so.

"And what exactly is included in that definition of yours?"

"I want to dance with you at balls, visit Vauxhall, watch plays, take carriage rides around Hyde park, receive flowers..."

"Would you also like me to write you love poems?" James quipped, but she saw the glint in his eyes.

"I don't believe you need to take it that far..."

He stepped closer to her until his mouth was near her ear. "You know we can do all of this when we are married as well," his voice lowered, "Besides, being husband and wife will allow us more freedom to do much more."

Vivienne felt her cheeks pinken, "James!" Her eyes met Agatha and Lady Torrington's and although both looked at James and her suspiciously, it appeared they thankfully hadn't heard his words.

James let out a sigh, placing a hand on his temple. "Fine, I shall go along with it. You will however stay here with me. After all, we have two chaperones under our roof now. Aunt Esme, I hope that is more to your liking?"

The dowager countess nodded her head.

"—I will also remind you that I will not venture out more than twice per week."

Twice? James was being extremely generous. She'd thought he would only settle for a soiree every other week. A wide smile bloomed on Vivienne's face. She was going to be able to do all the activities she wanted with the duke.

"Shall we give them a moment alone?" Agatha suggested to Lady Torrington as her eyes met Vivienne's.

"We did earlier, and it only resulted in them kissing," the dowager said flatly. "Heavens above if we turn our backs now."

"Oh, they will be fine," Agatha lead Lady Torrington away before the dowager countess had a chance to protest.

The door shut firmly behind them.

Vivienne's voice turned softer as she looked up at James, "I was hoping that you could accompany me to my uncle's grave. I know you don't necessarily see him in the same light that I do, but it would mean a lot to me."

He squeezed her hand in response, "We can go tomorrow if that is okay with you."

"Really?"

James saw the surprised look on her face, "Yes really. I don't know if you've realized it by now Vivienne, but I'll do anything for you. All I want to see is your happiness."

Vivienne's chest warmed, "I love you," she said softly. It was like a weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She'd been dying to say those words to him for such a long time and somewhere along the road, she'd expected to keep them close to her chest forever.

"Do you really, my lady?" he asked with a smug smile. "I wouldn't know unless you vowed to marry me."

She wanted to roll her eyes but refrained from doing it. She liked his playful mood. Vivienne leaned into his chest, as James curled his arms around her.

His chest rumbled as he spoke, "I have one more surprise for you."

"I don't need any presents James, being with you is enough."

Just as she finished the words, there was another tap on the door. She sighed, "Who is it now."

James ignored her question and untangled himself from her arms. Vivienne barely had time to open her mouth a utter a protest at the lost warmth when the door was pulled open. She spied the figure of a maid, but James' body blocked the rest. They chatted for a few seconds, before he shut the door. He spun around, holding a basket in his left hand.

"What is that?"

James gave her a smile, before pushing the basket towards her, "your present."

She took the basket from him, lifting the cloth over it. "Ginger!" she cried, as she cuddled the feline.

The cat meowed. Tears sprang to her eyes. She had missed the cat more than she could have imagined and to have James bring her here meant everything.

"Thank you," she choked out. "You don't know how much this means to me."

James nodded, looking at her tenderly before he kissed her lightly on the temple. "Here is to happier days and new beginnings my love."

Vivienne leaned into him, basking in his and the cat's warmth. Her life had been leading up to this moment and she'd never known. For all the difficulties and challenges she'd been through, it had helped her grow as a person. But it had also helped her find the love of her life, James. The pendant on her neck twinkled in the sunlight and she gave it a brief glance. Her lips twitched upwards, and her heartbeat settled. This was just the beginning of her new life with James, and she couldn't be happier. 

---------------

And that marks the end of Vivienne and James' story. I can't believe we are finally here! Thank you for giving this story a chance. There will be a short epilogue posted next week. What did you think of the ending? What was your favourite scene from the entire story? If there are unanswered questions, feel free to pop them in the comments and I'll do my best to answer. Please remember to vote or comment if you liked this story :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

108K 4K 64
Medieval England - Year 1450: Eleanor was a poor shopkeeper's daughter whose only hope for a better life for herself and her family was to marry well...
Husband Wanted (HC #1) By Flo

Historical Fiction

66.5K 4.2K 29
Elizbeth Anne Humphrey wants a husband. Her expectations are not outlandish; all she asks is that he be reasonably handsome, reasonably wealthy and...
684K 42K 43
***COMPLETED!!!*** ---- Everyone has secrets... Vincent, Viscount Thorne, perfected his wicked grin and his good-humored mask years ago. He has no ti...
2.7M 93.7K 24
When the arrogant stranger Bess is forced to marry unexpectedly becomes a duke, she'll find herself at odds with her growing feelings as he hunts for...