Rules are meant to be broken

By starwarsisgas

The Galaxy is divided by the Clone Wars. Melanie Altine, the Advisor to Naboo Senator Padme Amidala, must hel... More

Back to Coruscant
Trouble on Naboo
A serious plot
Feeling Blue
A terrible sickness
The council's mission
Crash Landing
Morals
No update today
Okay this is bad
A Battle against Pirates
An old friend
motion and emotion
High stakes
So I'm back?!
Success
The search
The watch

Movement

280 18 0
By starwarsisgas

Melanie sat on her sofa as the middle of the day passed by her. She stared out the window and watched the sunrise and fall. Her heart still ached but tears no longer fell down her face. Her endless crying had caused her to have an immense headache and now it seems she had run out of tears

Around the middle of the afternoon, Melanie came to the realisation that this is not what Mina would have wanted. Mina would have wanted her to carry on her life and remember her for who she was, not reflect on the past. If she was here right now, she would smack the back of Melanie's head and tell her to get to the Senate building to finish what she started. 

Melanie smiled at the thought and lifted herself up from the seat. She slowly moved her aching body up the stairs to the bathroom. The power had fully been restored in her building, so she turned on her shower. The hot water soothed her, flowing down her body. 

When she got out, she avoided her perfume, opting for her scented body lotion instead. The perfume was a gift from Mina before Melanie had left her service. Now Melanie could barely look at it. She didn't want to think about not seeing Mina again. Putting on a midi-length black dress with long sleeves and her normal heels, she packed a small bag with her datapad and waited for the elevator. 

The journey to the senate was a sensory overload for Melanie's grieving mind. People everywhere were talking of the bombing, the power outage, or anything exciting that had happened lately. Some even mentioned the Raxus Senators death, which Melanie flinched away from. She ended up taking a private taxi to escape the voices for a moment.

By the time she arrived at the Senate building, darkness had fallen. Melanie quickly made her way to Padme office. She avoided all the hallways that she knew would be swarming with senators.

A majority of those who knew that I was close with Mina would only say that they were sorry for her loss as an act of sincerity, Melanie thought bitterly. 

Finally, she made it to Padmes office. She could hear raised voices inside and had second thoughts about actually entering. However, she heard Mina's voice in the back of her mind, urging her to enter, so she did.

"25% interest? That's a lot of credits." Bail Organa's voice said incredulously as she entered. 

In the room was Padme and Senator Organa, who turned to face her as the doors slide open.

"Hi." She said shyly. 

"Melanie..." Padme said as she moved across the room to draw her friend into a hug. "I'm so so sorry..." 

"Please," Melanie whispered weakly. "Don't speak about it... but it's good to see you're safe."

"Okay... Just know I am here if you need to talk."

"Thank you, Padme." Melanie smiled at her friend. "Senator Organa, it's good to see you. Now, who is charging 25% interest?"

For the next few moments, Padme and Bail caught Melanie up on everything that she missed throughout the day. Apparently, the bombing had caused the Senate to turn in favour of deregulating the banks in favour of funding more clone troopers.

"That's terrible... and the Banking clan is saying that they will charge 25% interest?! That's unworldly! That interest alone could completely bankrupt the Republic!"

"As it is, social services have suffered because of this war - education, infrastructure, health care." Padme continued thinking.

"If we go deeper into debt, the basic needs of our people will evaporate."  

"This is good." Bail said.

"It is?" Melanie and Padme said together. Melanie felt a stab in her heart as she remembered how Mina and her used to say things in synchronisation, but quickly shook the thought out her head. 

"Clearly taking out a loan on such obscene terms would essentially destroy the Republic, regardless of the outcome of the war." He continued, building his argument as he went. "We only need to sway another handful of senators, as long as they don't buckle to the threats."

"What threats?" Asked Melanie. She was out of the senate for one day and it seems she missed a whole lifetime of action and events.

"Some members have received messages warning them not to vote against the bill. Considering what's happened to your friend Bonteri," Bail paused with a small glance towards Mina, who looked down quickly, "They're frightened."

"And for good reason." Padme stood from her seat. She placed a hand on Melanie's shoulder. "I think it's time we go home. It's been a long day."

And with that, the three exited the office. While they walked to the landing platform, Melanie talked with Bail of other ideas to support their argument, eager to help as much as she could. 

Bail suggested that they contact a Jedi to protect us, however, Melanie and Padme turned him down. They sat in silence for the entire journey home. 

When the elevator arrived on Melanie's floor, she hugged her friend. She knew Padme probably needed to talk but Melanie lacked the energy to supply therapy. She knew Padme would understand.

That night, Melanie sat on the floor of her shower, fully clothed. The water was turned up to the max heat. She stared at the opposite wall, trying to think straight. The shock of Mina's death was slowly wearing off, being replaced by the pain of realisation. Melanie felt her wrath raising its ugly head, not something that happened often. However, she started to feel bitter and twisted that her death may come to nothing. She was going to do anything to make sure it counted. Even if she failed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The next day Melanie woke up in the early morning in a twist of bed sheets. The sun had not risen as she unraveled her body from the sheets. All night she had tossed and turned, having vivid dreams of dark scenes. 

She shook them off as she stood up. Her morning passed in a blur. Melanie ate something absentmindedly, without realising its taste. She dressed in another black outfit, repulsed by the bright colours.

As the sun peaked over the horizon, she exited her apartment. Padme wouldn't be up for a while so Melanie took this time to get a head start on the days work.

There weren't many space cars in the sky, or Senators in the Senate corridors. This was a welcomed change.

Throughout the day, Melanie continued to work. She attended the Senate meetings with Padme, worked on reports, and helped compile arguments against borrowing more money from the banking clan. 

She was thankful for the work. Some logical part of her brain said that working would keep her mind off the events of the past day, and aid her to come to terms with Minas death. The day passed by quickly as she worked tirelessly.

As the sun fell, Bail Organa entered Padme's office. Apparently, a number of Senators had been attacked the night for opposing the deregulations. It seemed the other side of the argument was attempting to use scare tactics to get what they wanted.

"As long as Senators are being threatened and attacked, I'm afraid we don't stand a chance." Melanie said, rubbing her temples. A strong headache had blossomed above her eyebrows.

"Intimidation wont work on everyone," Organa tried to comfort the two worried women. "Senator Farr is proof of that."

Padme had a dejected look on her face. "Even so, we're still at least six votes short of a majority, and you saw how effective my plea was today." 

"Some minds can't be altered no matter what they hear." Melanie said from her desk. She was still working but was also listening to their conversation on the side.

"From my experience, it depends a great deal on who's sending the message."

Bail took a step back from Padme, narrowing his eyes, "And what are you thinking."

"Bail, you're the finest public speaker I know. If anyone can convince the Senate that voting for this bill will bankrupt the Republic both financially and spiritually, it's you."

"It will be dangerous..."

"With all the attacks going on lately, how is it not dangerous already." Melanie let a little bitterness seep into her voice. Didn't he realise Mina had already given her life for this cause?

"I urge you to speak before the full Senate."

There was a pause as Bail considered his options.

"I'll need some time to prepare." He agreed, but Melanie was already a step ahead of him.

"I have prepared a number of documents and files that should help your argument." Melanie handed him a datapad which she had loaded with information, originally for Padme. 

"In the meantime, I'll pay another visit to those still undecided." Padme said.

"I will send for a Jedi to escort you everywhere you go." Melanie reached for her computer, reader to patch a message through to the Jedi council.

"No!" Padme exclaimed before clearing her throat. "We don't need to involve them. I can look after myself. Plus I will be with Senator Ono."

"If you say so..." Melanie said sceptically as she tidied up her desk for the end of the day. Together the trio left the room and headed to the land platform for their transports. Melanie told her friend to be safe and nodded to Bail before entering the transport back to her apartment. 

When she arrived she changed into some more comfortable clothing and slumped on the sofa, refusing to move for the next long while. Her mind swum with thoughts, but she was proud of herself for going to the Senate building today. It had made her immensely tired yet fulfilled. She just knew that Mina would be proud of her.

At some point she rolled over and curled into a ball, falling into a deep sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

468 1 12
Set in the Legend of the Jedi Princess-verse, this is the tale of how Padme Amidala and Anakin Skywalker fell in love while their illegitimate child...
31K 497 33
ObiWan and a badly injured Anakin face Palpatine together on Mustafar. Afterward, Anakin discovers emotional wounds can cut even deeper. When Padmé f...
84.7K 2.7K 28
COMPLETED, phoenix knew obi-wan since she was a teenager and when she became a senator, she was more than happy to show off the fact that she had wel...
12.8K 378 27
Anakin and Jetta had been best friends for most of their lives, so alike in their rule-breaking behavior yet never addressing the electric chemistry...