Harry Potter and the Reluctan...

By espeonqueen

When someone dies, they lose their memory and are reborn as someone else. That's how it should be. "Should" i... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13

Chapter 10

7.2K 373 111
By espeonqueen

3rd person

Azkaban prison. A place where the most evil of criminals are sent and left to rot in their cells. They are forever trapped within stone walls and their own minds. But this was an unusual evening for the prison. A beautiful and large snowy owl landed on the never-used mail area. The owl looked as if it wanted nothing to do with this place, but remained still when a dementor floated over, minus the nervous clicking of her beak.

The dementor paid no mind to the bird. It took the letter and without looking at who it was addressed to, floated to its intended cell.

There, sitting on the damp floor was a hollow man, scraggly from lack of care or rather a lack to care. The man gave a weak glare at the creature, constantly repeating his head the one thing that kept him sane in this prison.

'I am innocent. I did not betray my friends. The traitor was Peter Pettigrew.'

The dementor dropped the letter in the cell and left, most likely to feed on someone of more interest.

The man straightened at the sight of the letter. Was that really for him? No one has ever sent him mail before, not in the last 10 years of his imprisonment. The envelope was a soft green with a silver border; Slytherin colors.

The man weakly crawled to the envelope, senses overwhelmed by the new material, smooth paper contrasting the rough structure of Azkaban. The smell of ink and parchment reminded the man of simpler times long forgotten. He opened the envelope, noticing there was more in it besides a letter.

He didn't recognize the handwriting, many words ended with sharp flicks of a quill or the quill dwelled far too long onto the page, as if the writer stared at the parchment randomly. What didn't end with flicks or small blotches were words that he could tell were written with the conscious effort to be readable and straight.

Dear Sirius Black,

Hi there! Hope you're able to read this. Sansa wasn't too keen on flying over to Azkaban and away from her boyfriend, but she loves me. :)

The man, Sirius, felt the corner of his mouth twitch at the random smiley face and continued reading. Okay, this had to be a kid sending him a letter.

Was it... no, it couldn't be...

To be honest I have no idea what I wanted to put in this letter, didn't know if the ministry or dementors read the mail (can dementors even read?). But after checking a few books I realized this was fine. Where are my manners? My name is Harry James Potter, son of James Potter and Lily Potter.

Sirius' heart clenched as he read that name, eyes scanning it over and over to make sure he hadn't gone mad and this wasn't a trick. Harry... his godson... his best friends' son knew about him! Harry wrote him a letter!

Sirius kept on reading with an energy he didn't know would return to him.

I learned about you through Hagrid. He was talking about my mum and dad then accidentally mentioned you and a few of dad's other friends. You guys sound a lot like a pair of twins I'm friends with. Don't worry, haven't gotten in trouble for my pranks just yet! Not like they would believe I would do any of that. But anyway, I have so many questions to ask you, but I don't even know if you're getting this letter or can understand this. If you are able to, I have a paper and a pen (a muggle writing utensil, you press down on the opposite end of the point until you hear a click) in the envelope and you can respond back to me. I was told that the dementors would give it back to Sansa.

Ask any question you want and I will answer the best I can. I can't send too many letters too often, no one knows I'm sending these. In fact, I was told to not send a letter to you, but I don't care. I hope we can meet each other in person one day.

I know you didn't do it.

With love, your godson,

Harry Potter

That was it, the tidal wave that broke Sirius' composure. The curled into the ground, pressing his forehead into the stone. Tears pouring from his eyes as he clutched the letter to his chest with the intensity that if it was paper, it would have torn. He knew the dementors would have a field day with him soon but Sirius didn't care. He would latch onto these emotions for as long as he could.

I know you didn't do it.

Such simple words meant more to him than anyone could ever know. For the last ten years, he was the one that was blamed for his friends' death, branded a traitor and a coward. But his godson... his godson somehow knows the truth! How? Sirius had no idea, he needed to know how. Needed to know his godson was safe, that's all that mattered.

With energy Sirius never knew he would have again, he took the paper -what a weird feeling to parchment- and clicked the pen. He had to write fast, not only for fear of the dementors ruining this energy but also with the knowledge that an owl is waiting for this response. The poor creature shouldn't have to endure this place for his sake.

His godson knew he was innocent... what a beautiful thing to learn around the holidays. Heh... How long has it been since he's acknowledged Christmas?

..... :3..... :3..... :3.....

Harry's POV

Breathing to calm my racing heart, I draped the invisibility cloak over my body and left the Slytherin common room. It was dark, way past curfew and any teacher up right now would most likely have my head if I was caught. But I guess the simplest thing is to not be caught, which is why I'm wearing socks and not my trainers.

'Let's see... start at the library...' This was honestly the smartest part of my plan. Start with the library then wander aimlessly- did Rowling ever consider the layout of this castle when she wrote her books? Most likely not, because within minutes I was more lost than my first day of school here.

Why are students not given a map at the beginning of the school year? Is that just an American school thing or is Hogwarts just weird?

I tried to stick to anything remotely familiar, grasping straws of my memory that always seem to fail me when I truly need it. Right turn here, left turn there, avoid Mrs. Norris, send a hex at Peeves, pray to all the gods that I find something of interest- Oh hey! Snape and Quirrell!

"You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell..."

'No, no you really don't, Snape is a scary dude.' I held in a snicker as I started to slinked past them. Only I stopped after a step, 'All I would have to do is send one spell...'

Yes, one spell. That's all it would take to remove Quirrell's turban and reveal the parasite that was Voldemort. I feel my wand hand begin to raise, 'I could prevent the events of the Philosopher's stone, save myself the trouble now and enjoy the rest of my year in peace... garlic, dragon egg, Fluffy-free peace.' Temptation whispered in all corners of my head, telling me to do it. All it would take is a simple spell...

No. This is a bad idea.

I jolted out of my thoughts, planting my wand arm back against my side and kept a firm hold of my cloak. As tempting as this was, it would only cause problems later on. Questions would be asked and besides telling them that my scar has been hurting I don't have enough to defend myself, let alone avoid a truth serum or occlumency session. Not to mention I would be watched from today onward... which would be a pain. I like my privacy.

Then there's Severus. If I expose Voldemort now, Snape would be obligated as a teacher of Hogwarts to take down Quirrell to defend his student. If that happens, who the hell knows what will happen if Voldemort gets brought back in my 4th year. Would he be praised for his determination to keep up a façade? Or would he be punished for attacking his master when Harry Potter was just an Avada Kedavra away from being dead? No... no this wasn't worth the risks, I'll just deal with Quirrell if and when he tries to take the stone.

Snape's head whipped to where I was standing, his eyes wide and I could see the gears turning in his head. Crap, did he see my wand? My feet moved on their own, moving at a diagonal fashion to avoid Snape's outstretched hand and I quickly shuffled away, avoiding making any noises.

'Nope, nope nope nope, all the nopes in the world does not equal to this moment!' I ran the moment I knew I was out of earshot, turning randomly until I hid behind the door of a corridor. "Phew... okay... never doing this again- Hello beautiful~."

How convenient, there was the Mirror of Erised, standing by its lonesome in the corner of this corridor. Removing my cloak and laying it within the shadows, I danced on my feet a little to get myself ready to face what my heart desired the most. Stepping towards the mirror, all I saw was Harry's face and our faces matching the same puzzled expression. That can't be right... that would mean I'm perfectly happy.

Which makes no senses... the Dursleys and Umbridge are still breathing.

But then the mirror began to distort its image. My reflection became taller, the clothes altered and the figure became more feminine until- oh...

"No... this can't be..." I bit my lower lip, tears beginning to form. I was staring at an adult woman, long dark brown hair with obnoxiously annoying curls at the tips that had no pattern to it. Robes became black jeans and a black t-shirt with the Slytherin snake on it. Behind black, rectangle glasses were grey-green eyes and that smirk... oh, how I miss...

"Why...?"

Why did my heart yearn for this?

I placed my hand on the mirror, staring up at my old self as she stared down at me. That look... That's what I would give to things that caught my mild interest, eyes never stopped shifting until she began to squat to my height. I examined every flaw of the face, down to the faded scar above her upper lip. It was me... or what was me... and I didn't want to walk away from this.

"I see you found the Mirror of Erised."

I swirled around to the voice. No... this wasn't right, why was Dumbledore here? He shouldn't be here!

"I trust... you know what it does? I've heard you're rather bright." Dumbledore walked over, but in what could only be described as a cautious manner and he seemed to never get any closer to me. It took me a second to realize that as he got closer, I took a step away.

"It... shows us what our heart... desires..." Or yearns for in my case. I looked at the mirror solemnly. "I see something that I lost a long time ago. Something that'll never be given back, no spell, and no potion could give it to me."

Dumbledore nods slowly as if understanding me, most likely mistaking my words for seeing Lily and James. "Yes... it is a curious item. Many men have wasted away looking into this mirror, and the happiest man alive would... only see himself. But you're acknowledgment is the first step in realizing that you need to make your desires come true without magic. No mirror would tell you as such."

I look back to the mirror and see my past self glaring, familiar twitching of the neck muscle and her eyes locked onto where Dumbledore stood like she could see him. Right... I don't trust this man. He wants me to be a sacrifice for this stupid war. He is the one that left me with the Dursley's because of some protection ward.

"Can the image in the mirror change?"

Dumbledore's head tilted slowly. "It's possible, but it would take a strong change of heart."

"I can't have what is in this mirror..." I glared at the mirror and my eyes locked with myself, emerald meeting grey-green. "And my heart knows it should strive for greater... like a true Slytherin. Why should I want something that is impossible to obtain?"

My past self blinked a few times before breaking into a wide grin. Her hand reached into her pocket and pulled out a cellphone, face turning into one of utter boredom, like she had enough of this conversation. After typing a few things on it, she gave me a wink and the mirror warped again, the reflection returned to me- the Harry Potter me.

I could feel Dumbledore watching me thoughtfully but I focused on my reflection. What do I desire? What do I want from being Harry Potter? Being Harry Potter sucks, everyone either wants to kill you, scold you, or die for you-

Sirius Black stepped up from the misty background, healthy, smiling and ruffling my hair.

Then Lupin walked forward, arm wrapped around Tonk's waist as they smiled at each other. Fred popping up beside Sirius which made the man jump where he stood but then let out a mute laugh. A boy in Hufflepuff clothing came in from the side- Cedric? Dobby snapped by my legs, smiling and wearing half a dozen hats on his head with socks on his feet. Sansa flew from above and landed on my shoulder, smacking Sirius out of the way so she could take up my attention. And then the last to join the group, Snape... he stood at a distant, but he had a reluctant smile on his lips.

These... these were people that died because of Harry... because of this war.

I was curious by the lack of Moody. But then again, I was never crushed by his death like the people I'm looking at right now. I want these people to live, I want to protect them, ensure they can live the lives they deserved. This... this is what I want, more than anything else in the world, at least for now.

"I trust you see something you wish to strive for?" I recoiled at the old man's voice. "Now, if I'm wrong, you got lost. We'll go to my office and I'll have Severus escort you back." Wait, what? "As invigorating this was, you are awake past curfew, Harry."

If I was in Gryffindor you would have totally let me go scot-free. "Yes sir," I gather the invisibility cloak in my arms, thankfully when not worn it just looks like a fancy silk cloak, "Um... Headmaster? What did you see?"

Dumbledore let out a soft sigh, his eyes never losing their twinkle, "I see myself holding a pair of woolen socks. Everyone wants to give me books, but never socks, I'd fancy a pair."

"Were they made by someone special?" That- that made Dumbledore's eyes lose their twinkle for the briefest moment, "I got a sweater from Mrs. Weasley... it made me feel special."

"Ah, no... no, it wasn't anyone in particular." If I didn't know him like a... well, a book, I would have believed his words. But too bad for this man, I know more about him than most will ever know and I still don't trust him. "But I must advise you to never seek this mirror out, it will be moved to a new home soon so that it can be away from the weak minds of people."

Entering the headmaster's office -the password being honeydew- I couldn't help but notice that Dumbledore was a borderline hoarder. The place was organized chaotically with the only sense of organization being his bookshelves. Magical trinkets, telescopes of metals I couldn't identify, and the Pensieve resting in the corner.

That stupid object taunted me with its presence. I could review my memories of this world, the movies and the books, the faces and the words of others and keep it fresh in my mind. But if I asked about it, in particular, it may cause suspicion around the adults. Why would an eleven-year-old need to see into their memories?

"I see the Pensieve has caught your attention." Dumbledore smiled in a kind, grandpa-like manner. "I caught you eyeing it."

Shoot. "I-I didn't mean to be rude, sir." Shoot... shoot shoot, how do I get out of this? Is he in my head?! Just keep replaying old Disney movies in your head! Someday~ My prince will come~

Is it working?! Wait, I'm a boy, should I be singing about a prince?!

"It just stands out so much compared to your other stuff... it just looks so... plain?" What a lovely choice of words there!

"You have so much to learn, for you see, it is what is viewed as plain that has the most uses." He slowly made his way over to the Pensieve. "It allows one to rewatch memories, even ones that were believed to be forgotten... maybe when you are older, I may allow you to use mine if there becomes a need."

'I'd rather ask Lucius to see if he has one.' I blinked a few times. "Th-thank you, sir."

"Potter!"

The doors swung open dramatically and Snape stormed over to me like he was going to strangle my brains out. "What, are you doing, out of bed?"

I could hear the exact moment a wire in my brain fried, "Uh... I uh... um... ah..."

"It is quite alright, Severus." Now my heart stopped while watching the potions master swerve to look at Dumbledore. I couldn't see what their faces were like, but I'd bet there was fire in Snape's eyes. "Harry remained in the castle the entire time and did not enter any forbidden rooms."

"He left after curfew!" I grimaced at the venom in his voice.

"Indeed, but let us make an exception just this once. Afterward, you may give him as harsh of a punishment as you wish. It's late and the boy has had a long night," Dumbledore said, nodding to me as I awkwardly waited for the adults to finish talking.

Snape was fuming, but he inclined his head to follow me and he stormed off with a swish of his cloak.

I followed along with my head bowed. If I was a Gryffindor I could have brought Ron with me, and Dumbledore would have let us off the hook. But give my house scales and it's instant scolding. I want Draco and the others back... I'm tired of being alone.

Snape only spoke after confirming that I was following him. "Reckless, absolutely reckless. Do you understand how dangerous it is walking past curfew?"

"When is holiday over...?"

Snape stopped so abruptly that I smacked into his back. He looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "What?"

"It's fun spending the day with my friends who stayed behind but... the common room is almost empty. I wake up every morning and go to bed alone." I look at my feet, barely seeing the anklet that I refuse to take off now. "I miss Draco and the others."

"So you are... acting out, to get attention? Is that what your goal is?"

"Not really... no." I feel a slight pressure in my head and for some reason, I'm remembering the week after the holiday started. I'm wrapping presents and just rambling endlessly to Scabbers. It was just random nonsense like how much of a pain wrapping paper is, how I'm thinking about trying to find American comics over summer, and how I just love fluffy dogs, especially ones that look like wolves.

Then, I'm remembering Christmas last year. Looking through the cupboard's flap as Dudley complained that he got a white Game Boy when he wanted the limited edition Wario one and promptly breaking the handheld a few minutes later in a tantrum.

Just as fast as those memories came, they leave and I'm left with a minor headache. Snape was staring me down. Oh, occlumency.

Hang on, I can use this to my advantage.

I stumble back slightly, mostly to give myself distance from Snape and I rub my scar. "Ugh... is Professor Quirrell nearby?"

"Pardon?" Snape suddenly looked more alert, looking around cautiously. "Why is that important?"

I shrug in an uncaring manner. "Whenever I'm near him my scar keeps hurting. Just my scar. Always goes away when he's not nearby," I respond and look up at him, putting on my best confused expression. "Is that normal?"

"I..." Wow, I left him speechless. "It is good you told me this. However," He drawls. "I'm going to recommend that you do not... poke your nose in places that should remain unchecked. The last thing you want is to be hurt."

"I'll try, Professor, but I have this odd feeling trouble will follow wherever I go."

"Indeed... To answer your previous question, holiday ends the Monday after New Years Day," Snape grimaced for a split second then schooled his emotions at the idea of me bringing more trouble. Returning to his original course, I'm left in the Slytherin common room.

I return to my room, the mood instantly killed and I hid my cloak at the bottom of my trunk under my pants and t-shirts. "Hey Scabbers sounds like everyone is going to be back after New Years, thank god for that. I'm going nuts only talking to you." I give the rat a quick glare then unceremoniously flopping face-first onto my bed. "Wish you were a cat or something, I like cats, they at least talk back. Or a dog... I should see if Hogwarts will let me have a dog- man, I'm rambling again- I MISS EVERYONEEEEEEE! PLEASE LET THIS HOLIDAY END!"

Well, I should talk to Madam Pomfrey about separation or isolation issues. It's not like I'm alone all day anyway, I've spent most of my daytime with the Weasleys, but it's just not the same without my Slytherin buddies! Yesterday, I said "goodnight" to Scabbers!

I never say goodnight to that rat!

"It's not like I even hate rats!" In my tired state of mind, my rambling continues and I slowly began to sound more American. "Rats are adorable! Sweet little nommers, especially the dumbo rats with their derp faces. But you, little Scabbers, aren't even a rat! Literally, the only thing keeping me from taking you to the Ministry right now is because you'll only cause more of a headache! Do you know this?"

I snap my head up from my bed to look at the rat, he's staring at me with a look of both fear and confusion, nose occasionally twitching.

"I know you do. I don't even want to know what would happen if I took you out of that cage and no one was around. Still, I bet you're wondering why I knew you're Peter... well, that's my little secret."

I blinked a few times, realizing that I'm sharing way too much information in my state of mind. With much-needed haste, I covered the cage with its normal cover and quickly retreated to bed.

..... :3..... :3..... :3.....

Those eyes are the embodiment of murder.

"Um... Hi, girl?"

Here I was, in the Hogwarts owlery with Sansa staring me down. Her feathers were puffed out, neck stretched out to the point where her beak was pressed against my nose and she dropped Sirius' letter in my hand. I had shrunk in my spot when she had started getting closer, but I had to stop when one of her talons latched onto my robes to remain balanced. To an outsider, this must have been quite the sight. The other owls didn't pay much mind except for Draco's eagle owl who I could have sworn stayed with the Malfoys, but he looked about as amused as an owl could show.

"Sorry that you had to experience such a scary thing, dementors aren't fun, are they?" I hesitantly stroke a finger on her breast, continuing when she didn't immediately try to bite it off. "I really am sorry, Sansa... it's just... he's alone in there with those things. My godfather is trapped with murders and those creatures and I can't do anything about it..."

It sucks. I don't have the magical ability or political power to break him out myself. Revealing Pettigrew will only throw Sirius back into Azkaban because he's an illegal animagus, and if I tell Sirius about Pettigrew there are going to be dementors at Hogwarts. Not sure what would be worse, dementors and dealing with Quirrell or the basilisk. I hate being Harry Potter, I really, really do. No matter what all of my options suck.

Either reveal the truth about my reincarnation and forever have eyes and ears on me or play the waiting game until I was "mature" enough to take rash actions. Neither was pleasant and neither have clear paths.

A small screech made me look back at my owl. Sansa had returned to her normal posture and was regarding me with intelligent eyes. She reached out and began preening my hair. My shoulders relaxed at the gesture, well, she's not mad at me anymore. With a soft sigh I open up the letter and I'm mildly surprised that the writing was legible, albeit a little shaky in some spots.

Harry,

Your letter surprised me, but at the same time, you have no idea what this means to me. Thank you... thank you so much. But I have questions and I would appreciate answers.

How did you learn that I'm your godfather? How did you learn that I'm innocent? How is Hogwarts? Are you going to try for Quidditch? What house are you in? Do you have good friends? How are classes?

I gotta say, it's amusing that Sirius asked about Quidditch before my classes.

I do not suggest you reply right away. As I'm writing this I can feel the dementors will take advantage of the joy I felt after reading your letter. Keep your nose clean and out of trouble (but do prank) but send letters when something of interest happens during school. Just please, no fighting dragons or drinking unknown potions.

"Well... he's in for a shocker during my fourth year if I get put in the tournament..."

If we ever do meet, I will answer each and every question you have. I will make it up to you for being out of your life for so long.

From,

Sirius Black

I gave the letter a hug and kissed the paper. I used a transfiguration spell to make this look like a bunch of charms notes and hid it in the inner pocket of my winter cloak. This would be the easiest place to hide it while also being the most believable type of paper to change the letter to. I give Sansa a bunch of kisses on her face -and getting preened in returned- and head out to find the twins to help them prepare pranks for students that return. I'm thinking glow in the dark fingernails for students that have astronomy class.

..... :3..... :3..... :3.....

Me, Fred, and George were hunched over some plans for future pranks during dinner when there was a sudden increase in food on all of the tables.

Ron's eyes lit up. "Blimey! Why do you think they made so much food-" The main door opened, granted a little more dramatically than needed I would think, but soon students that were gone for break entered the Great Hall and going to their tables. "Must have just gotten off of the train."

The Gryffindors came in first and we quickly made our way to greet our friends. I gave Hermione and Neville loving hugs and proceed to latch onto the former. "How was holiday?"

Neville beamed and showed off his wand, it was different from the wand he started the school year with a black twisted handle. "I asked Gran and she took me to Ollivander's as my Christmas present! Dad's wand is stored away proudly in our living room while this wand chose me!" His excitement transferred to the both of us and we both gave Neville another hug, at least now we never had to worry about spells rejecting him.

"I did some light reading," Hermione responded, moving aside while the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws began to enter the room. "Read up on Nicholas Flamel from this book I checked out weeks ago. I also read that book you sent me, Harry. It..." She broke into a shy smile, tucking some hair behind her ear which immediately fell back into place. "I liked it, even though it was different from what I usually read."

"I knew you would enjoy some fiction books!" I fist-pumped in victory. "I can always recommend you more books- DRACO!"

Hermione and Neville stepped aside so I could bolt towards the blond boy bracing himself for the inevitable impact. Draco returned my tight hug, radiating amusement while I started to practice my koala skills. "I told you that you should have stayed with my family for the holiday."

"Yes, yes Draco, you were completely right. Now let me hug you, I spent way too much time talking to a rat." I buried my face into his shoulder.

"Oh? And how were the conversations?"

"Hated it. Hi, Pansy."

Pansy placed her hands on her hips, shaking her head with a smile. Her eyes shifted to behind me and pleasantly waved towards Hermione and popped up over to her to ask some questions, most likely muggle related things. Letting go of Draco, we head to the Slytherin table -after I grab my plate of course- Ron was chatting animatedly to Dean and Seamus while the twins were catching up with their buddy, Lee. Seems like I wasn't the only one anxious for the holiday to be over... granted it looked like the older students were wishing they were anywhere but school.

A glance towards the teacher's table also confirmed that many of them were anything but excited that school was returning.

Oh well, I don't have to talk to a rat almost exclusively anymore.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 39 13
What can I say, he was killed trying to protect the children from the orphanage. Then I thought my whole life was over, but it seems fate had other p...
180 30 22
We all perfectly know the magic story about the "boy who lived". We all love this magical world and its unique characters. We all rejoiced at their v...
871K 33.6K 81
𝗟𝗼𝘃𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗹𝗶𝗸𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗶𝗿𝗲, 𝗹𝘂𝗰𝗸𝗶𝗹𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗵𝗲𝗿, 𝗔𝗻𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗲𝘀 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 �...
66.8K 1.4K 48
Sometimes life seems like a dream. The only difference is that if you die, you won't wake up. - Heliophilia - the love of sunlight, the desire to sta...