Love Me Never

By NightTime_Storiexs

Hate surrounded us. Why wouldn't it after everything that happened in the past? Rhys Archer had already ruin... More

Cast/Characters
1| Birthday
2| Luck
3| Panic
4| Groom
5| Ballet
6| Rings
7| Engaged
8| Missing
9| Replacement
10| Dress
11| FiancΓ©
12| Publicity
13| Vows
14| Tragedy
15| Husband
16| Mine
17| History
18| Crowned
19| Threat
21| Poet
22| Broken
23| Kissed
24| Weekend
25| Rain
26| Coffee
27| Redo
28| Glowing
29| Panic
30| Interrogation
31| Live
32| Critical
33| Epilogue
!NEW BOOK!

20| Story

37K 1.3K 424
By NightTime_Storiexs

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Story

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 20: Story (Rhys' POV)

"Have you officially resigned then?" I asked Ashton before taking another sip of my whiskey. 

"Yeah, I officially don't have to be here now every single day. Well, I haven't been doing that for quite some time, actually. But that doesn't matter anymore, does it? Because..." 

I tuned him out, my eyes finding Ava in the room. She was talking to Victoria until my mother came and pulled her away to introduce her to some people. 

"So does it really... Why?" Ashton mumbled. "Why? Why are you staring at my sister?" 

I blinked, looking back over at Ashton. "Huh?" 

He looked between us and then rolled his eyes. "God, you make me sick." 

"She's my wife, Ashton." 

"She's my sister, get ahold of yourself around me, man." 

"I didn't do anything but look at her." 

"Oh, but that's enough, isn't it?" We both looked over to Liam who walked over, joining us. 

I ground my teeth. "Because you know a lot about the way I look at my wife, don't you?" I lifted a brow. "What does that make you?" 

"A creep," Ashton scoffed. 

"Thank you, that's exactly the word I was looking for," I smiled at Ashton. 

Liam chuckled, "I don't need to be a creep to see the way you look at her. It's not like you two are a secret." 

He lifted a brow at me. "You're staring at her from across the room, I bet I'm not the only one who noticed." 

Ashton looked over at Ava and excused himself to go talk to her since she was finally free from tending to any other guests. 

"Explain something to me, Liam." I put my drink on the bar counter. "Your father left this family years ago, didn't he? Why are you so insistent on sticking around?" 

"Well, why not? Maybe not by blood, but we're still family." 

"We're not family," I gritted out. "Anything but." 

He sighed, "What are you so afraid of?" 

"I'm not afraid of you. I'm afraid of what I might do to you if you try anything," I clarified, glancing over at Ava, making sure she was still with Ashton. 

"Look at you. Aren't you two getting cozy?" He watched me in amusement. 

"Stay away from her. I mean it. It won't take a second to get rid of you and nobody would care." 

"Oh, I don't want her, Rhys. She's not the thing I'm after. We both know that. I think everybody sees it, no matter how much you two deny it, that you two are made for each other." 

I stared at him, anger bubbling up inside of me. 

"That might be the best thing about you two but at one point, it was the worst. Because it could ruin you both, couldn't it?" He smiled, glancing over at Ava. "Especially you." He faced me again. "That just happens to work for me," he sighed. 

"You and your father both, Liam, have a very bad habit of dragging the past into the present. That's why your father was kicked out, let's be honest, he didn't leave on his own accord and you know it. There's only so much you can hold against a person from their past, Liam." 

Ava was walking over the next time I glanced over at her. 

"People change. And anyway, what you're trying to hold against me isn't something I'll be punished for, no matter how hard you try." I turned to Ava, pulling a small onto my face. "Hey." 

"Hey, you," she grinned back. "Mr. Charleston is looking for you." 

"How come?" I grabbed her hand and pulled her closer. 

She blinked in confusion but kept our act intact. "He says he wants to talk business." 

I left my glass on the counter. "Let's go." 

Once we were away from Liam, she asked, "What was that?" 

"Nothing." 

We were passing the door when she stopped abruptly, pulling me to a halt with her. I turned to her. "What?" 

She took one look around and then dragged me outside with her. 

I sighed, glancing at the guests before jogging behind her, both of us walking upstairs and to our room where she slammed the door shut behind her. "What?" I repeated. 

"What do you mean 'what?' What is wrong with you?" 

"What did I do?" 

"Do you even plan to tell me anything, Rhys? About any of what's happened." 

"I told you, I'll explain later." 

"Later when? Explain right now." 

"Ava," I sighed pleadingly. 

"I don't care," she said through gritted teeth. 

"People will notice we're gone." 

"So? They would probably think we're having sex and wouldn't bother interrupting." 

I tried not to let that image get to my head. Of us having sex. 

"I want you to tell me right now. What is your deal with Liam? First, you say he's your step-cousin, then you act like that. How is it possible that he's your step-cousin and I never knew?" 

"People don't know." I sat on the bed, staring at her. "It's a secret. Do we really have to do this right now?" 

"Yes," she ordered. 

I rolled my eyes, taking in a deep breath before deciding it would be best to just get it done. "Liam's dad is my dad's stepbrother. Not even that, actually, half-brother. It's complicated. They have the same dad, but not the same mom, I don't know. My dad doesn't like talking about it. They don't get along. Before my grandfather passed away, they kicked Liam and his parents out of the family. They weren't living with us anyway but my grandpa didn't even want our family to be associated with theirs. Nobody's allowed to know that we're related. And because they're not part of the royal family, they have no rights over the palace either," I paused, not knowing how to explain this next bit properly. 

"While growing up, Liam was like a friend. He was always here, we used to get along. Rarely, but things were fine. And then as we grew older, he started hating me, and he hated me, even more, when his parents told him I would be the prince of Kilthorne and he never would. So we definitely don't get along," I scoffed. 

She watched me, listening intently. "Do you have a story to tell with that?" 

I chuckled dryly, staring at the ground. "Once upon a time, I was very happy, Ava. And then Liam swooped in and killed that right there by taking something that's very precious to me. Now we hate each other more." I stood up and walked over to her, standing mere inches away, looking down at her. "The end." 

She frowned, "That doesn't sound like the end." 

"Why not?" 

"You didn't win." 

I blinked, staring at her quizzically. "I should win because you think I'm the good guy?" 

"You are the good guy. Whether you like it or not. But more importantly, you're the prince." She raised her brows. "That's why you win. It's your story, not his. You're the good guy in your story. Everybody's the good guy in their own story." 

"And who am I in your story, Ava?" I grabbed her hand, pulling her in closer. 

"You used to be the love interest," she said softly, staring up at me. "Now you're the villain." She snatched her hand out of mine, her gaze turning hard and cold. 

"Because I broke your heart?" 

She blinked. "I guess it was very easy for you to do if you can say it like that." 

I clenched my jaw, grabbing her arm, and pulled her forward again when he stepped back. "It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Letting you go is something that nearly killed me. But I had to do it, Ava. I don't blame you for hating me. But you don't know what my situation was." 

"Because you won't tell me." 

"Because it's best for you to not know. Some things are better left unsaid and unknown." 

"Not this," she laughed humorlessly. "I think I deserve answers, Rhys. Are you ever going to tell me?" 

"Maybe," I nodded, moving closer to her, putting my arms around her but she clicked her tongue, pushing them down and away from her. "Ava, please," I whispered, looking down at her. "I haven't hugged you in three years." 

She stared at me incredulously. "You really think you're the one who needs a hug?" 

I ignored her and tightened my grip around her. She stood still, not reciprocating the hug whatsoever. I pulled back and grabbed her wrists, putting her arms around my neck. She didn't pull them back down but she didn't hold me and hug me back either. I was about to pull away when she stood on her toes and finally hugged me back, resting her chin on my shoulder while she let out a sigh of exhaustion and relief. 

We pulled away, looking at each other. I would have leaned in and kissed her had she not taken a step back. "We should get back downstairs. Your mom said the ceremony will start soon." 

I nodded, following her through the door and back downstairs, into the ballroom. I could see it in the way she cracked her knuckles and picked at her nails that she was nervous. I grabbed her arm, pulling her to a halt before we entered the ballroom. 

"What?" She had such an innocent and confused look on her face. 

"You look really beautiful," I mumbled. 

She blinked in surprise. "I... do?" 

I nodded. "Very beautiful. And you're going to be just fine tonight, okay? Try to relax a little. Come on." I grabbed her hand, taking her back inside.

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 20

"You look beautiful.
- How beautiful?
Enough. Enough to make the devil kneel and repent with each kiss he steals, as he falls in love with your beauty and soul."

next chapter: poet

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 68.2K 63
*Book 2 in the Soulmates Series* After Malekh's startling revelation about the deal he'd made with Ashton, Elizabeth's blossoming relationship seems...
9.3K 210 65
ππ€πŽπŒπˆ It was bad enough working in a bakery with karens, but being an assistant is probably worse. Working at Cyber Tech is like highschool all...
220K 7.8K 26
#265 Highest Ranking In Teen Fiction 10/14/2016 #106 Highest Ranking In Fantasy 1/29/18 ||| The First Few Chapters Might Suck, But Please Bear With M...