Love Me Never

By NightTime_Storiexs

Hate surrounded us. Why wouldn't it after everything that happened in the past? Rhys Archer had already ruin... More

Cast/Characters
1| Birthday
2| Luck
3| Panic
4| Groom
5| Ballet
6| Rings
7| Engaged
8| Missing
9| Replacement
10| Dress
11| FiancΓ©
12| Publicity
13| Vows
14| Tragedy
15| Husband
16| Mine
17| History
18| Crowned
20| Story
21| Poet
22| Broken
23| Kissed
24| Weekend
25| Rain
26| Coffee
27| Redo
28| Glowing
29| Panic
30| Interrogation
31| Live
32| Critical
33| Epilogue
!NEW BOOK!

19| Threat

39.2K 1.2K 421
By NightTime_Storiexs

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Threat

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 19: Threat (Ava's POV)

Within two days, the palace was prepared and decorated for the crowning ceremony tonight. Just like Rhys' birthday and announcement ball, and the wedding, we had loads of guests tonight. 

I was nervous. I was going to be the center of attention tonight and I never want that. It's way too nerve-wracking and scares the life out of me. I had a black silk robe tied around my waist while I did my hair and makeup for the night. Yesterday, Mrs. Pearl, my mom, and I all went to Fantasia and picked out dresses for tonight. Rhys was currently taking a shower and the room was dead quiet apart from the sound of the water running. 

From our wedding night up until now, things have been tense between us. We're both scared to say the wrong things in front of each other, I'm scared to question him too. Sometimes I think of asking questions about the past and then I think about the way I reacted to his apology. I just couldn't handle it. It was too overwhelming, too shocking, too unexpected. 

What if I ask about his reasons and what he tells me is something that only breaks my heart even more? What if I'm overthinking and the answer is really simple? What if he broke my heart because he just didn't love me anymore? That's the answer I'm most scared of hearing, so I just stopped asking altogether. 

We both fell into a routine, it's like we're performing on a stage twenty-four/seven. Pretending to be the perfect husband and wife with incredible compatibility as if we were madly in love. In front of his parents, we act normal, we act like we're enjoying being newlyweds. I let him hold my waist and hug me, he lets me hold his hand and link our arms. And as soon as we're out of their sight, we're completely different. Cold, distant, hateful. 

I sighed, setting the compact down on the vanity as the bathroom door opened. 

He came out wearing black sweatpants with a black robe on, leaving it open. His hair was soaked and he had a smaller towel in his hand which he used to ruffle and dry his hair. He walked over, standing behind me and glancing at me in the mirror while he grabbed his hairbrush. 

We've been sharing the same room for three nights and four days now, and he sleeps shirtless every night, comes out of the shower with nothing but a towel around his waist, and I still can't get used to it. I glanced down at his abs before grabbing the makeup brush and applying some blush to my cheeks. He put his hands on the counter from behind me and leaned forward, looking for something. I stiffened almost instantly, holding his gaze through the mirror. "What are you doing?" 

"Looking for something." 

"What?" 

He looked down at the vanity and grabbed my hair serum. 

I frowned at him. "Have you been using my hair serum? Is that why it's running out so fast?" 

"It smells good and it made my hair soft. Although, I don't think I'm doing it right." 

My eyes narrowed. "That is mine." 

"We're married." 

"So?" 

"What's mine is yours, my love."

I opened my mouth to retort with something snippy but nothing came out. 

He put the bottle in front of me. "Can you do it for me?" 

"Can I put that into your hair?" 

He nodded, blinking once. He pulled the vanity stool back and I sighed, grabbing the bottle and standing up, turning around. He sat on the stool, staring up at me with his damp hair falling over his eyes, looking stringy. 

I ruffled his hair quickly and then rubbed the serum into my hands before running my hands through his hair, pushing it back. He watched me for a moment, blinking slowly and getting sleepy when I massaged his scalp. I bit back a smile and pushed his hair back before slapping his cheek softly. His eyes snapped open and he glared at me. "Done. Go." 

He stood up, towering over me while he stared down at me. "Thanks." 

"Hmm," I hummed in response. He brushed past me before I sat back down on the stool and looked at my reflection in the mirror. I glanced over at Rhys while he grabbed his clothes before retreating into the bathroom. 

We built an understanding over the past few days. Putting our emotions aside, we both know that we have a new set of responsibilities on our shoulders, we have expectations to meet, and if that means we have to put how we feel aside, we have to try. 

I finished my makeup and ran my fingers through my blow-dried hair. It was set in perfect ways. I guess I learned how those rollers worked after having them in my hair at the wedding. I looked over at my dress that was splayed out on the bed before standing up. I walked to the desk chair and shrugged off the silk robe, keeping on the slip dress that I was wearing underneath. I thought of changing in the room but didn't want to take any chances of him walking in on me half-naked, so I just waited. 

The door opened just moments later and he walked out with his shirt unbuttoned. While he worked on buttoning that up, a single strand of his hair fell over his eyes, the rest being held back with the way I styled it. I was about to grab my dress and head into the bathroom when he walked up to me, stopping mere inches away. 

I blinked, staring up at him. "What?" 

"How long will we do this?" He looked down, buttoning up his sleeves with cufflinks and then working on the buttons of his shirt. 

"Do what?" I questioned, looking up from his chest and at his eyes. 

"Pretend like everything is just fine and we're not miserable in this marriage." 

"I was prepared for this when I agreed to marry you. I'm fine. Aren't you?" 

He sighed, "No, I'm not. I hate it." 

"You should learn to live with it then," I shrugged, trying to grab the dress but he grabbed my wrist and jerked me forward until I collided with him. I felt his body pressing against mine through the thin fabric of his shirt and my slip dress. I'm suddenly regretting not wearing a bra. 

His eyes traveled down from my eyes to my lips, to my neck, to my chest. He closed his eyes and let out a huff, looking away before meeting my eyes again. "Do we really have to do this, Ava? Can't we at least try to be like every other married couple?" 

"I don't know, Rhys, can we? Do you really think we can be like a normal couple after what you did? Especially when you still refuse to tell me what happened." 

"I have my goddamn reasons, Ava." 

"Then I have mine too. For hating you. Look, why don't we do this later? The party starts soon and if we're not downstairs in another fifteen minutes, we'll be late. So, let me get dressed." 

"Fine." He let me go slowly, stepping away from me. 

I took the dress and went into the bathroom, slowly zipping up the dress before taking a last look at myself. A perfume bottle, a very beautiful perfume bottle caught my eye. I grabbed it off the counter and pulled the lid open, taking a sniff. It's cologne. It's his cologne. I was tempted to put it on just because the bottle looked so good and he always smells so good but I thought it would be weird, so I put it back and then walked out. I put my own perfume on, slipped into my heels while he put on his coat and then we both headed downstairs just as the guests started filing in. 

We took over from his parents and started welcoming the guests. 

"Ava," Victoria grinned, giving me a quick hug. 

"Hi," I sang. "The party is in the ballroom, drinks are in there too. I'll see you in a bit, yeah?" 

She nodded, waving me bye and walking with her parents. 

A minute later, my parents walked in with Ashton. I hugged them all, Ashton lingering behind, standing beside me. "Brooke called," he mumbled through a smile directed at the guests. 

"Saying what?" I whispered, greeting Mrs. Maya. "You look lovely," I flattered her, "please enjoy your night." She walked away and I turned to Ashton. 

"She was asking about you." 

I turned to him. "Me?" 

"Ava." 

I looked forward at Liam. "Oh, hi," I smiled. I expected Rhys to greet him but Rhys only glared at him. 

"I'll tell you later," Ashton mumbled, slipping away. 

I was too distracted and lost in my thoughts about Brooke to realize Liam had taken my hand and instead of shaking it, had kissed the back of it. "Oh, um," I chuckled awkwardly, slowly retreating my hand while Rhys came and stood beside me. 

"Party is in the ballroom. You can show yourself there," he said sternly. 

"Of course," Liam smiled smugly, looking from me to Rhys. 

"Next time, just try not to be twisted enough to kiss my wife's hand." 

"I didn't know you were so possessive over her, Rhys. I'll keep it in mind." 

I looked between the two while Rhys snaked a protective arm around my waist. "Oh, I'm very possessive, you have no idea," Rhys gritted. 

Liam's eyes flickered with amusement while his eyes danced between us, lingering on his arm around my waist. "I think I do." With that, he tucked his hands into his pockets and walked away. 

I don't understand it. Their dynamic. Something has always seemed off between the two of them and I've never been able to figure it out. I even asked Rhys once all those years ago but he avoided answering. Yet somehow, Liam and his parents are invited to every single royalty event. Are they... related in some way? "Rhys." 

"Yes?" He turned to me, letting out a sigh. 

"How does Liam know you?"

He stiffened, straightening up. "What do you mean?" 

"I mean how does he know you? Why is he always there at every event even when his parents aren't? Why is he always lingering around at these parties? Who is he?" 

He glanced at the crowd that was making its way to the ballroom. 

"Rhys, I'm asking you a question," I huffed. 

He stared at me. "He's my step-cousin." 

I'm sorry... what? 

"And he's a threat." 

"A threat?" I asked.

"I'll tell you later, I'll explain." 

"Yeah right," I scoffed. 

"Ava, I will," he scolded. "But right now, I need you to cooperate and stay away from him, okay?" 

"But why?" 

"Just do as I say," he said sternly, giving me waist a squeeze. "Can you do that?" 

"Fine," I exhaled, "I can do that."  

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 19

No poem for this chapter guys

I think it was only @harryhavemybabiespls who guessed that Liam might be related to Rhys lmao 

at least when I checked the comments, they were the only one so you smart, ma'am, sir, whatever your pronouns are <3

anyways next chapter: story

also, this chapter was kind of a filler, sorry

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4M 152K 10
*completed NOW A PUBLISHED NOVEL!* An ancient Cursed bloodline, a world-crossed romance, tyrant kings, a princess with dragon wings, a forbidden love...
5.6M 302K 125
Falling into the fiery hell she created must've been the perfect way for her to die. The other woman would then become the heroine that saved the tow...
81.9K 1.9K 16
Prince William, the Prince of Wales gets a second chance at love with the woman who's always been there. The Prince of Wales is suffering from a brok...
2.4M 84.5K 45
Brielle is the beloved daughter of the town's Pastor. The perfect church girl. The angel child. To the world. River is the prince of Ashbourne. The d...