Ningyō no Ohimesama (The Doll...

By fanfabtasuloustic

An expressionless princess, a fallen imperial prince, and a revolution... this isn't your typical fairy tale... More

Author's Note
Miho's Past
Kidnapping Attempt
Secret Passion
Her Escape
First Meeting
His Escape
Blood-Red Flower
Azalea Blossoms
Akio's Approval
War Preparations
Extra: These Insane Kids
Battle of Fort Cypress
Nobu vs Miho
The Aftermath
Fort Sycamore
Extra: Tora's Secret
Miho vs Kazuma
Smile, Princess
Surprise Visitor
Aoi's Decision
Desperate Measures
Dawning Realization
Marquis Haruka's Ultimatum
March to Citadel
Couldn't be Saved
Asahi's Village
Daku's Death
Fresh Warriors
Extra: Style and Error
Pink Shackles
Battle Begins
Broken Sanity
Kaiju and Eito
The Third General
Kenji's Desire
Extra: Inside One's Mind
His Coronation
Family Reunion
Distress and Repression
Progress Regressing
Boiling Point
Peace at Last
In Place of You
Bloody Rampage
Promise Fulfilled
Suspicious Letter
Two Halves
To Win a Bet
Two Words
Proper Proposal
Hanae's Wish
Imperial Wedding
Postscript
Extra #1.1: Aoki's Memory
Extra #1.2: Aoki's Oasis
Extra #2: Miu's Ambition
Extra #3: The Twin's Curiousity
Timeline and Family Tree

Don't Go, Miho

50 3 17
By fanfabtasuloustic

{MIHO'S POV}
I run through the streets of Wolkitra at night, feeling a sense of déjà vu.

At least I'm better prepared this time. I have food and clothes, and I know exactly where I'm headed. I'm going to see Aoi.

I pause at the very edge of town. Once I cross this threshold, I can never come back. I'll be cutting my ties with my family, permanently. I take a deep breath and lift my foot.

Akegi comes flying out of nowhere.

She tackles me from behind before I even sense her presence, knocking me off my feet. We land on the ground in a tangle of limbs, Akegi using all of her strength to keep me in her death vice.

"Ane... Ane-sama?"

"I'm sorry!" She blubbers. "I was selfish! I had no idea what you went through and just brushed your feelings aside. Forgive me! Don't leave me again!"

Shiro leaps onto the ground with Akegi and I, rolling in the dirt in an un-princely manner. "Asahi-san told us a bit about the war."

I feel cold. If they know what I've done, how are they not repulsed from touching me? I'm a living weapon. I forged myself into a sword for Aoi's sake and killed thousands in his name.

"We want to know!" Akegi wails. "What you went through, in your own words! Good and bad!"

My eyes are watering. They know, yet they're still by my side. They aren't coldly turning away, disgusted by my inhumane acts.

I didn't dare to wish for this but my family came running for me. I break down. "I'm sorry... too! Truth is... a part of me... didn't want to... tell you."

Dad joins the pileup. "Don't shut us out."

All my fear and uncertainty rushes to the surface at once. "I... didn't want you... to look at me... like a murderer... once you knew all... the lives I've... taken. I... I don't want... you to... hate me!"

Mom has already joined our group hug, all of us squatting on the ground together. She—the healer, the one most appalled by the thought of taking another's life—reaches out and cups my cheek. "How could we hate you, silly Miho? You're my precious daughter and I will always love you."

Snot runs down my face. "I love... you too!" I bawl.

"I love you!" We all echo into the night.

Our family, finally connected, stays huddled on the street like that for a long time. Slowly, we rise up together. Arms wrapped around shoulders, we lean on each other the entire way back to Wilant castle.

I still want to see Aoi. That need hasn't disappeared. But I can suppress it for another year and a half now.

When we get back to the castle, Dad leads us to the library. There wait Mitsuhide, Obi, and Kiki with her sleeping daughter in her arms.

Asahi is also there, and she unapologetically admits to sending them out to bring me back.

I hug and thank her.

I proceed to tell my family everything, from the very beginning. Although some of the gory details gross them out, they all avidly listen to the end. It feels good to get it off my chest.

The next day, nothing happens at Wistal castle. Rumors floating around say that Prince Zen, Princess Shirayuki, and their three children, as well as their closest aides, stayed up all night and consequently were dead tired the whole day.

I confirm or deny nothing.

With the mountain of weight off my chest, I begin to notice the jitters from not moving my body as much as I used to. I need to blow off steam.

The knights are entirely unhelpful. Even when I tell them to come at me 20 on 1, they refuse because of stupid chivalry. And when they hold back on me, it forces me to hold back on them in a vicious cycle. Luckily, I know just who to call. He won't hold back.

For my opponent, I go head to, of all places, the hospital in the city. He requested to work in Wolkitra. While I thought it a tad overbearing, right now I'm grateful for his presence.

Rapier strapped to my side, hands shaking in anticipation, I walk into the hospital and aim for the surgical waiting wing.

My hair turns heads. It's a dead giveaway, a color unique to me after all.

I lean casually against the doorframe at the entrance of the surgical suite. Surely gossip has spread about my arrival. He'll come for me.

The surgeons don't seem to have much work. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Bad for the surgeons, I suppose.

Finally, I hear his voice. He walks into the empty waiting area, doffing his gown and surgical cap. His mentor, a tall man with salt and pepper hair, approaches me hurriedly.

"Princess, to what do we owe the honor?"

I nod politely at him. "Actually... I'm here to borrow my... subordinate, if you... don't mind. Thank you for... taking him under your... wing."

"Not at all, it's my pleasure. I've never had such a skilled apprentice. He simply absorbs everything I say like a sponge." The doctor pulls a handkerchief out of his pocket and mops sweat from his brow.

"What can I do for you, Commander?"

"Kazuma." I appraise him. "Fight... me."

"I beg your pardon?" The doctor Kazuma is studying under asks nervously, looking back and forth between us to gauge how serious we are.

"Iryo-sensei, may I take my lunch break?" Kazuma asks smoothly.

Iryo-sensei checks his pocket watch. "I suppose. Be back in 45 minutes. And, I never thought I'd say this, but please don't fight the princess."

"Understood." Kazuma nods.

We exit the hospital together. After walking a few paces, Kazuma and I stop simultaneously.

"I need to grab my gauntlets. Knight's training arena in seven minutes?"

"Deal."

We run in opposite directions. Kazuma towards wherever his lodging is and me towards the knight's training arena.

Mitsuhide is practicing with a group from the Sereg knight circle when I arrive. I explain the situation to him as quickly as I can. Mitsuhide agrees to let us have a match, if he oversees it and the other knights can watch. I agree to his terms.

I roll up on the balls of my feet and bounce excitedly. This is our first real bout in a while.

Kazuma arrives two whole minutes early, metal gauntlets polished and glinting. There are several "Oooooh!" and "Aaaaaah!" from the peanut gallery.

I draw my sword and let it swish through the air a couple times as warm up.

"Both contestants ready?" Mitsuhide asks, looking between Kazuma and I.

We nod, anticipation budding.

"Begin!" Mitsuhide sweeps down his hand in a karate chop motion and jumps out of the way.

Neither Kazuma nor I needs to be told twice. We've both leveled up our speed, clashing three times in the span of ten seconds.

The knights watch with wide eyes, barely able to follow our movement. Rapier against gauntlet, sword against fist. At first, our attacks are exploratory, seeing how much the other has grown.

Now I'm starting to get serious. I push Kazuma harder, putting him on the defensive.

"As if I'd let you!" Kazuma yells, and I spot the problem too late. Damn it. I'm in a disadvantageous position from my last attack. My left side has next to nothing guarding it.

Kazuma's claws arc towards the opening. I mentally brace my arm for impact. His gauntlets leaves four jagged red lines down my left arm. I stagger back, and Kazuma sends me flying back towards the wall, where I collapse in a heap.

"That's it!" There's alarm it Mitsuhide's voice. "The winner is—"

"Hold up." Kazuma interjects, shaking his head.

"What are you talking about? Those last two attacks left Miho-sama unable to continue." Mitsuhide gestures at my slouched form.

"By whose standards?" Kazuma challenges. "You stopped the match based on Clarines' standards. However, we've been fighting based on Zoral's standards. And in Zoral, the match isn't over until one side loses the will to fight. Or dies."

I bark out a laugh, a maniacal sound that draws the attention of all who hear it, and look up. My eyes are dancing with crazy light.

"This takes... me back." I grin dangerously at Kazuma, stepping forward. "Back... against the wall... one arm rendered useless."

Kazuma smirks, also reminiscing. "I'm glad you beat me then. If I had killed you and stayed neutral, I would've missed out on so much fun."

"Beat me?" I step forward again. "You never... stood a chance, then... or now."

I attack with renewed rigor, stabbing and thrusting and slicing. It's a race against time. Will I subdue Kazuma first? Or will my injury overcome me?

Kazuma gets a spear-like jab in on my stomach and almost makes me throw up. I graze his abdomen, arms, and legs, trying to slow him down. I'm causing more damage over time.

Come on, get in a lucky shot.

But unlike me, Kazuma's got good defenses. He deflects my blows so they straight up miss or do least damage possible.

I'm tiring quickly. One decisive hit. That's all I need. Finally, I break through. My speed becomes too much for Kazuma to handle.

"To increase your speed beyond your limits while in battle. Impressive as always, Commander." Kazuma falls as my rapier embeds itself in his thigh.

I level it against his throat for extra measure.

The air is still for one second, two, three. Then a massive cheer erupts from the stands.

"Wow! I've never seen a fast-paced, high-intensity match quite like that before!"

"Miho-sama is super strong!"

"That other guy isn't bad either! I've never fought someone who uses gauntlets!"

"Awesome!"

"So cool!"

They crowd around us, congratulating me and asking for pointers. I bask in glory, until I feel a bit too faint and excuse myself to go to the pharmacy.

Mom's eyes bug out of her head when she sees my arm, and she immediately mummifies it.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.6K 120 27
***IN NEED OF EDITS READ AT YOUR RISK***An assassin known by Dali has gained the attention of Wistal Castle, leading to Mitsuhide and Obi heading out...
3.1K 158 31
Obi finds himself bored with his life at the castle until he comes across an assassin with a dark past. Her job is simple: kill the prince, bring his...
20.8K 690 42
Shirayuki has always been a living on the streets. She has a life style of stealing food and some spare change and taking herbs and books. It has all...
237K 5.9K 38
I'm Mirayuki, you may already know Shirayuki whose my younger sister. I've come back after so long just to find out she ran away with a Prince. So wh...