𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐃 𝐂𝐀𝐕...

By lvndrfucks

✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩ 𝘼𝙎 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙒𝙊𝙍𝙇𝘿 𝘾𝘼𝙑𝙀𝙎 𝙄𝙉 ─── ❛❛ 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘪𝘵 𝘪𝘴 𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘯𝘪𝘨𝘩... More

intro
act i
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
act ii
01
02
03
04
05

06

608 24 1
By lvndrfucks

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
chapter 6: ( in loving memory )

❝ we'll be alright ❞
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

It was peculiar reading from an outsider's perspective. Deena had already stepped into Sarah's shoes, but reading Rosalind's words reminded her of Beckham even more. The two seemed fairly alike, especially their relationships. At least they got to have their happy ending.

"They got married," Sam said, pulling out a small sketch. "They had two kids, a boy and a girl. There names were Hugh and Sarah."

"Woah, check this out," Josh started with the book in hand. "She grew up to become a nurse for the Union when one day, a flu went around. That douche, Kaleb, got infected and..."

"What," Deena questioned impatiently.

"She let him die. She wrote down the last thing she said to him. 'The devil is not so black as he is painted'. Actually, it happened to most of the town. There was a cure, but she only helped those who didn't believe Sarah was the witch."

"Kind of badass," Deena chuckled. She flipped through a few pages before one caught her eye. "Here. February 17, 1667. She thinks it was a spell. 'I've returned to the abandoned home of the widow. They've left all her books and belongings, only disposing her body. She had many shelves filled with books, I didn't know where to start. All I wanted to know was how to make it stop. How do I stop waking up in the middle of the night from the horrible nightmares? I wonder how she died. Maybe she could've helped me.'

"'I haven't told anyone what has been happening. Not even father. I wish not to overwhelm him now that the fate of the Union lie in his hands. But I need answers now. This was something I had to do alone.'" Deena skipped a few pages, skimming over the words with her index finger before stopping. "This was a few days later. 'How could he do such a thing to me? How dare he lay his hands on me to bestow this malediction upon my family. Instead of killing me, he placed a curse upon my future kin. There was no reversal spell, no way to end it. I, my children, and my grand children would have to live so with this. I suppose it would be a good idea to tell Isaac and my father. I only hope the town doesn't find out, or else they might wrongly accuse me too.'"

"So, that's what he did to her in the church," Josh started. "Rosalind fought back so he did the second worst thing he could think of. It's like he poisoned the family tree."

"And look at this." Sam held a different notebook in her hands. "A year later, the Union became split with Solomon Goode ruling one side, and Edmund on the other. The split on the towns continued for generations."

"Even in the 18th century, the two towns hated each other," Joseph bitterly chuckled. He looked to his wife to see her deep in thought and placed a loving arm around her while rubbing her shoulder.

"Mrs. Santos, do you still get the nightmares," Deena questioned cautiously.

"Sometimes," she answered with a small sigh. "They become more bearable growing up. It's nothing to worry about now."

The girl nodded and stood up with Josh and Sam on either side of her. "We should head home now. I'll be sure to keep in touch, though."

"Of course." Jane-Anne gave a small smile. "I'll update you about the funeral arrangements. I know Kate and Simon's mothers wanted to talk it over as well, so..."

Deena nodded slowly. "Yeah, the school was going to have a small memorial for them."

"We'll be sure to stop by," Joseph said.

The three teens showed themselves out and left the two adults to dwell on the strenuous day. Jane-Anne moved to sit on the couch as Joseph was packing away all of Rosalind's belongings. The woman looked around her living room, feeling the empty feeling setting in. Her eyes trailed to the picture frames that held memories of her daughter from over the years. She was going to miss walking into Beckham's room and just seeing her lying on her bed doing homework or just listening to music. Seeing her was one of the most reassuring things in her life, knowing she was safe.

Joseph walked into the living room and sat next to her, seeing the tears fill her eyes. He said nothing and grabbed her hand while giving a gentle squeeze.

"I don't know what I'm supposed to do." Her voice barely sounded above a whisper. "How am I supposed to continue being a parent? How am I supposed to wake up everyday, knowing she's..." She paused while letting out a soft cry. "I just want my baby back."

Joseph pulled his wife into his side as she sobbed into his shoulder. He sniffled while cradling her head, kissing her temple. "It's gonna be okay. We're gonna be okay."

It didn't feel like it, but they were going to be okay. Eventually.

*ੈ

               Returning to school was something no one looked forward to, especially Deena and Josh. With the weekend they went through, it might've been best to take the entire month off. But they had to be strong. They eventually had to get used to the idea that they would no longer be with them.

The ride to school was quiet. The radio wasn't playing either. Deena's fingers would wrap and unwrap around the steering wheel the closer they got to school. A pit formed in her stomach knowing that this would be the first time she'd have to walk in alone. No greeting from any of them. No Beckham to pop up behind her at the entrance, no Kate to approach her locker, and no Simon running down the hallway to wave good morning. But she had to push forward. The only reason she kept going was for them.

Josh stared out the window, counting the trees until he eventually got dizzy at the fast motion. He just wanted a distraction from it all. He may not have been as close with them like Deena, but it almost seemed that way that night. That one night that changed everything. Just like his sister, he was going to keep going for them.

When Deena parked the car, their eyes immediately saw the sign plastered on the building wall.

In loving memory of Simon Kalivoda, Kate Schmidt, Beckham Santos.

The siblings glanced at each other before exiting the car and walking inside together, something they didn't do often. Everyone's heads turned towards them when they walked down the hallway. Since every teenager was horrible at whispering, the two were able to know what they were saying. It was mostly pity on them since everyone knew they were friends. Best friends. But Deena's ear couldn't help but catch one statement that broke her heart.

"I can't believe Beckham and Simon are gone. They were practically soulmates."

Deena wanted to tell the girl that they are soulmates, and they were going to be together forever now. She held her head high to avoid the water filling her eyes.

"I'll see you later," Josh muttered and turned down the hall. Deena nodded his way and continued down the long hallway.

Her grip on her backpack tightened walking past the lockers. There, on Kate's, were notes of condolences and photos of her from yearbook. Flowers were laid out too, along with a single pompom. Deena didn't realize she had been standing in front of it for so long until a few of the cheerleaders approached her.

"Hey, Deena." In front of her stood Elizabeth with a somber expression. "We're really sorry about Kate, Simon, and Beckham. We had to clean out her gym locker today." Deena noticed how her voice suddenly got smaller. "These were in there. We thought you might want to have them." Elizabeth handed her the small photographs that contained their foursome group.

"Thanks," Deena replied cooly, sticking them in her binder.

"Of course. Also, coach was thinking about hanging Kate and Beckham's pompoms in the auditorium later this week, in case you wanna stop by."

"I'll be sure to." Deena tried her best to smile but could feel her bottom lip tremble.

Elizabeth nodded and brushed past her with the other girls following. The brunette took a deep breath, knowing the day was going to be harder than she thought. She barely made it two steps forward before being stopped by another boy.

"Hi, Deena," Jack greeted. "I know we've never talked before, but Simon was in Robotics Club with us. We're having a competition next week and we were thinking of entering one of his inventions if you wanted to come check it out."

The Deena before didn't usually go out to school events or in general. She barely liked interacting with other kids from the school. But, instead, she nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, that'd be great." Jack handed her a flyer with the competition details before leaving.

Deena made a B-line to the bathroom upstairs, since the one downstairs was still a bit damaged. She was thankful it was empty and went into the open stall. As soon as she locked the door, she dropped her binder and backpack on the floor roughly before breaking out into tears. She shielded her face with her hands as her sobs echoed in the bathroom.

No matter how much it pained her and how difficult it would be, she was going to push herself everyday. She had to. Those painful memories were books with chapters, deep and horrible; and so she thought to leave them on the shelf to gather dust. She could pick them up to learn something, to gain a perspective that helped create her own good story. She could use them to re-see situations through the lens of their needs and traumas rather than her own. Deena wanted today, tomorrow and every tomorrow after to be wonderful; She wanted to choose what to write on those blank pages. So walking out of that stall and putting on a brave face was the first step.

It was obvious to others that she had been crying as she walked down the hallway with tear stained cheeks and red-rimmed eyes. Deena took a deep breath in front of her locker before opening it. The first thing her eyes met was a picture of the four of them together. A sad smile painted her lips as she softly reached for the photograph. In the back of her head, she swore she could hear Beckham's voice clearly.

"It's okay. Everything will be okay."

Deena turned around like she hoped they would miraculously appear. But nothing. The bell had rang and students were rushing to get to class, leaving the brunette alone in the hallways. She closed her locker and walked towards the window to gaze at the skies.

"I hope you guys are okay. And I hope you're all together now." Deena sniffled and took a few steps back before walking away.

Author's Note —

Sorry for the huge wait for the last chapter. I started senior year in the middle of writing this and found no time to finish this book off, but I finally did it! It's not completely how I imagined it, but it's better than leaving it unfinished.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9K 113 53
ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʙᴇ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅꜱ (ᴡᴀɪᴛ ꜰᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ʟᴏᴠᴇ) x the vampire diaries. ❀ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ'ᴛ ʙᴇ ꜰʀɪᴇɴᴅꜱ. ʙᴜᴛ ɪ'ᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴘʀᴇᴛᴇɴᴅ. ʏᴏᴜ ᴄʟɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴘᴀᴘᴇʀꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ᴘᴇɴ...
158K 8.2K 24
❛ 𝗦𝗛𝗘'𝗦 𝗝𝗨𝗦𝗧 𝗔 𝗗𝗘𝗩𝗜𝗟 𝗪𝗢𝗠𝗔𝗡 𝗪𝗜𝗧𝗛 𝗘𝗩𝗜𝗟 𝗢𝗡 𝗛𝗘𝗥 𝗠𝗜𝗡𝗗 ❜ ❪ ·˚ ༘ 💌 * ೃ 📼 ˚₊༉ ❫ in which two ex best friends try...
29.3K 676 22
UNDER EDITING!! 𝚒𝚗 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚌𝚑: 𝚝𝚠𝚘 𝚋𝚎𝚜𝚝 𝚏𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚗𝚍𝚜, 𝚋𝚎𝚌𝚘𝚖𝚎 𝚖𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚘𝚗𝚎, 𝚕𝚘𝚗𝚐 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚜𝚎𝚎𝚖...
78K 1.9K 32
❝ 𝐢 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐥 𝐰𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐥𝐞𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐝𝐢𝐞. ❞ ━ fs | simon x fem reader