The Gift of the Princess (HTT...

By PedePaulie

Princess Eira of Torvald is pleased to have found her place in the archipelago. She is doing good work on Ber... More

Daily Struggles
The Dragon Trappers
Gathering Information
Little Progress
Working it Out
An Old Friend
Dragon Training
An Unexpected Turn
Clashing
The Search
Critical Choices
Discovered
Reunion
Fading Fast
New Plan
Recruits and Setbacks
One Step More
Final Preperations
The Brawl
A Stronger Power
A New Chapter
Cut Off
Obstacles
Adjusting
Conversations
Village Life
A Chief's Predicament
Protection
Disappearances
Insights
Getting to the Bottom of Things
The Truth
Figuring Things Out
Striking Back
Roadblocks
Changes of Heart
The Right Way
Hostile Welcome
Working Hard
Differences of Opinion
Options
The Meeting
Brave and Bold
Taming
Conquering Fears
Drago's Plan
Wild One
The Second Attempt
Moving Forward
Pressure Mounting
Lingering Doubts
Taking Charge
Dwindling Chances
Redemption
Taking Sides
Brewing Storm
Fully Prepared
Showdown
New Beginnings
Epilogue

Going All Out

55 2 0
By PedePaulie

Chapter 53: Going All Out

Hiccup arrived on Torleif Island in an extremely good mood. With him were many Vikings from Berk and the allied villages, and some of them were brand new. He found Reidun, Krogan, and Oliver already assembled with the villagers in training in the wide, open space in the middle of town. "Good morning!" he said brightly.

"Good morning, Hiccup," said Reidun. "You seem cheerful. Did something happen?"

Hiccup rubbed the back of his neck. "Uh, I'm just excited to make more progress forming alliances." He and Astrid had not had the chance to make an announcement to Berk yet, so he did not want to say anything now.

Reidun nodded. "Good. What do we have to get done today?"

"If it's alright with you, I think we should split up training new dragon riders and training for our outreach program. I think you and Krogan should handle the first while Eret and Oliver take care of the second."

"Very good. That sounds like an excellent plan. I was just thinking that Eret and Oliver should explain the process they used yesterday to gain success." Reidun looked around at the Vikings in question. "Is everyone in agreement?"

"Oh yeah!" said Eret. "I would love to explain my process."

"And I'll make sure he explains it accurately," said Oliver.

When Hiccup looked to Krogan, the older man said, "I can take charge if you wish, but what will you be doing?"

Hiccup gave him a timid smile. "Well, I thought we could get started on something we're going to need here really soon: saddles." He looked at Reidun for approval, hoping he had not overstepped his boundaries. The villagers had not yet rode any dragons, but he saw no reason why they could not start today. "They really helped for safety reasons. Otherwise it can be hard to stay on."

Reidun dipped her head in acknowledgement. "Yes, I can see how that would be so. Come with me. I know just the person who can help you achieve your goal."

Hiccup smiled in relief. "Thank you." He left everyone else in capable hands and followed her through the village. If all went well, their new allies would soon be a formidable force.

***

Krogan, Reidun, and Ruby stood in front of the villagers who wished to be dragon riders. Previously tamed wile dragons were also among the group of Vikings. Krogan thought the best way to teach them would be through a single demonstration instead of having them all try with their own dragons off the bat, which could lead to chaos and injuries. Of course, as chief, Reidun agreed to take part in the demonstration with Ruby.

"Do not attempt to ride a dragon if you have not earned her trust," Krogan said. "Even then, make sure to approach slowly and greet her." He nodded at Reidun. "Ruby is already familiar with you. She will let you mount her." Then, to the trainees, he said, "watch carefully."

Reidun turned toward the Singetail and looked into her eyes. "Hello, Ruby." She reached out her hand to stroke her head. "May I ride you?" The dragon grunted in agreement. Smiling, the chief walked around to Ruby's side. She examined her carefully before grabbing onto the saddle and hoisting herself onto the dragon's back. Krogan thought she looked like a natural out there. "How was that?"

A smile flickered on Krogan's face. "Excellent. Now, why don't the rest of you practice bonding with your dragons? When you're ready, attempt to mount them. Do not take off. I will instruct Chief Reidun personally so she may assist me in helping all of you once you are up in the air."

"That sounds like a great plan, Krogan, but if I'm on Ruby, which dragon will you ride?"

Krogan furrowed his eyebrows in thought. "I'll be right back." There was only one other dragon he was close enough to who would let him ride her. Thankfully, Hiccup did not need Swiftwings at the moment and allowed her to return to the training group with Krogan. He once more demonstrated proper mounting to the villagers and then looked to Reidun. "Are you ready?"

Reidun smiled. "Yes. Where are we going?"

"Let's circle the island. If you want Ruby to fly, simply ask her."

Reidun stroked the Singetail's back. "Let's fly, Ruby." The dragon flapped her wings and took off. Reidun held tightly to her saddle, but she otherwise seemed to be doing fine. The villagers gasped and pointed at the scene.

Krogan flew up with Swiftwings, meeting them in the air. "Good. Now we'll try flying. You will need to practice to get the hang of it. Do not try too hard to control her."

"Gentle leading, I got it." Reidun's eyes filled with determination. "Let's do this."

Krogan smiled. He liked her attitude. He led the way with Swiftwings towards the shore. From there, they started a circle around the island. He occasionally gave tips to Reidun, but she appeared to have already grasped the basics. For her part, Ruby was patient and understanding.  After making a full circle, they started for the forest for a leisurely flight back to their group.

"Thank you for this, Krogan," Reidun said after a long moment of comfortable silence. "I appreciate you trusting me with your dragon. You have really trained her well. It makes me want to form such a bond myself."

Krogan was glad to hear it. He thought she would make a wonderful dragon rider. "It is extremely rewarding. If you are interested, I can help you find the perfect dragon for you."

Reidun smiled at him. "Thank you. I may take you up on that offer at some point. Really, I appreciate everything you have done for me and the village."

Krogan looked away, feeling slightly uncomfortable with the praise. "It was nothing. I did it as much for myself as for you. Eira was right; helping other with their problems helps me stop focusing on my own."

"And what is wrong with that? I do not think it makes you selfish. I have come to see that there are personal rewards for cooperating with others instead of fighting with them. If those rewards incentivize more cooperation, all the better. Vikings and dragons are learning to work together because it benefits both species, does it not? I would not consider that an ulterior motive, merely the recognition of an ultimate reality."

Krogan looked at her in surprise. She must have been talking to Hiccup. Still, there was some truth to what she said, and he dipped his head in acknowledgement with a small smile. "Perhaps you are right. Thank you."

"Of course I am right. Now, I think we should head back to our training group to see how much damage they have caused."

Krogan nodded. "Excellent idea." Ruby fell into place beside Swiftwings as the two dragons began a slow descent. For once, Krogan felt completely at peace, and he even had a little hope.

***

"Oh, is that her?" Dagur said excitedly. His loud voice caused Luna to shrink back into the bushes, her ears flat. Toothless gave the Viking an annoyed look.

"Don't scare her," Viggo said.

"Yes, this is Luna," Eira said. She had brought her new team here to meet the Light Fury so they could get going on their mission, but it looked like it would take some time for her to become comfortable with them. "It's okay, girl. These are my friends. You can trust them."

"Yeah, you can trust us," Dagur said.

Toothless approached Luna and gently grunted at her. He looked back at the Vikings, smiling happily. Luna took a step out of the bushes but still appeared uncertain. Then her eyes fell on Sleuther and Sigurd, giving Eira an idea.

"Just ask their dragon friends," she said. "You know Triple Strykes and Skrills are hard to befriend, right? These two managed to do it."

The dragons in question moved forward to speak to the Light Fury. Gradually, the white dragon relaxed. Toothless brushed up against her side and walked with her to meet Dagur and Viggo. Sleuther and Sigurd stood near their riders, forming a protective circle.

"Hello, Luna," Dagur said in a much calmer tone. "I'm Dagur, and this is my buddy, Sleuther." When the Light Fury simply stared at him, he looked at Eira and said, "I know it's important we go after Drago, but we need some bonding time!"

"Taking a flight together might do the trick," Viggo said. "It won't do any good if we can't work together."

Eira nodded. "Sounds like a good idea to me." This would give her some time to think of a strategy in approaching Dagur. Right now she had nothing. She turned to Luna with a bright smile. "What do you say? We want to help you get your friends back, but you have to trust us. If we all fly together, you'll get to see how well we work with dragons. We're better as a team. So, will you help us out?" Toothless bumped into Luna's shoulder and gave her an encouraging smile. Finally, Luna let out a confirming noise, her eyes full of determination. Eira smiled. "Excellent!"

"This is going to be fun!" Dagur said. "To the sky!"

***

"I think this will do." Hiccup smiled proudly at the heap of dragon saddles he and the village's blacksmith had been able to create in the past several hours. He had spotted several villagers attempted to fly into the air with dragons, and he knew these would help them enormously. He did not have a dragon nearby, so he decided to carry one saddle to the training group to show them what he made.

As he approached the training grounds, he had to stop and smile once more. The area was filled with Vikings talking with dragons, riding dragons on the ground, and trying to fly with dragons in the air. This place really had come a long way in their relationships with the creatures. Then again, so had Berk. Perhaps his original inclination that everyone could change was correct. Instead of giving in to pessimism due to a few setbacks, he should have doubled down on his efforts to make his dream a reality.

Reidun glanced in his direction and immediately started for him. Krogan followed a moment later. "Hello, Chief Reidun," Hiccup said. "How is training going?"

"Very well, thank you," said Reidun. "I thought there would be more risks t this endeavor, but there have been few injuries and none of them major."

"Well, this should bring that number down even lower." Hiccup held up the saddle for her to see. "I've made a bunch of them. There should be enough variety for the different sized dragons you have here. They're back in the smithy."

"Excellent," said Krogan. "Ruby and I will bring them back here. Swiftwings too."

Hiccup nodded. "Thank you, Krogan." He turned back to Reidun. "Have you had a chance to fly yet?"

"Yes," she said. "Ruby allowed me to ride her."

Hiccup smiled. "Good. Have you given any thought to finding a dragon of your own?"

"I have considered it."

"Well, if you don't have anyone in mind, I think you should consider choosing the titan wing Night Fury."

Reidun's eyebrows lifted. "Vidor? Will he allow it?"

"He allowed me to ride him. If you want him to help defend the village, this is the best way. He should be bonded to someone if you want to ensure he will not go back to causing trouble. And he does seem to trust you." Hiccup thought it was the perfect solution, but he knew the others might be slow to accept it.

Reidun appeared thoughtful. "Perhaps... Let me attend to my people first."

"Of course." Hiccup watched Ruby and Swiftwings return with the saddles. The villagers approached them, and Krogan began to help them pick out saddles for their dragons. "They will need to learn how to fight with their dragons. Krogan or I can help with that." He also needed to find a way to replicate this with the other villages. There was just so much to do!

As if sensing his dilemma, Reidun said, "If it comes down to it, the dragons can simply fight beside us. That will be an enormous improvement over our previous situation. You have already done a lot for us, and I thank you."

Hiccup was about to respond when he noticed Ingrid and Snotlout running straight at him, shouting his name. "We need to start our mission now!" Snotlout exclaimed. "We didn't come here to learn all day."

"Yeah, we're losing daylight!" Ingrid said.

Hiccup blinked. "What does Eret think about that?"

"Of course he's cool with it," said Snotlout.

"Well, I think we should go talk with him first." Hiccup said goodbye to Reidun, handed her the remaining saddle, and started for the other group with Snotlout and Ingrid chatting excitedly on either side of him.

***

This was it. Eira flew to Night Fury Island with Luna, Dagur, and Viggo. The Light Fury had finally decided she accepted the new team members and agreed to join them on their mission. Eira only wished they had a better plan that what they had come up with. For some reason, Dagur and Viggo thought Eira had a chance of getting through to Drago if she was able to get him alone. She still had no idea what she was supposed to say to him.

Of course, this was a moot point if she could not actually get him alone. Now that Drago had launched an attack with his army of dragons, they expected the island to be heavily fortified. Indeed, as soon as they were within range, dragons began to fire at them. "I guess he took back his offer of peace," Eira said with a sigh after dodging a blast.

"Stick to the plan," Viggo said. He and Dagur flew up high, drawing the fire away, and began to attack back.

Meanwhile, Toothless and Luna flew low over the ocean. They curved around the island before entering the forest at an area clear of dragons. Eira thought Drago might be at the fortress he built, so they started that way. Sure enough, they found him in front of his hut, surrounded by Night Furies. Eira did not have a chance to say anything before the dragon leapt into the air and began to attack.

"Drago!" Eira shouted. "I just want to talk!"

"There will be no more talking," Drago said. "You have been a thorn in my side long enough. It is tie for me to deal with you."

"Toothless, do you think you can calm them down?" The alpha growled while dodging the attacks. Finally, the Night Furies paused in a circle around him. Toothless started to draw on his alpha power, but then the dragons suddenly flew at him from every direction. He flew straight up, and Eira caught a glimpse of Duskscales hovering above them before she slammed into her, sending her flying off Toothless' back.

Both Eira and Toothless began to fall. Luna darted out and caught Eira on her back just before she hit the ground. No sooner had Eira gotten on her feet than a large, metal cage fell from the trees, landing around her and the Light Fury. Toothless snarled as he struggled to get off his back.

Drago let out a menacing laugh. "Now I've got you!"

"Eira!" Dagur cried, landing beside Toothless with Viggo. "What happened?" He hopped off Sleuther and ran forward.

"Not another step," Drago said. He stood beside the cage and pointed a sword at Eira while Luna growled at him.

"If you kill her, one of our dragons will kill you," Viggo said.

"And then mine will kill all of you. Do you want to end up with a blood bath?"

"We want you to let Eira go!" Dagur said.

"It's okay, Dagur," Eira said, earning a surprised look from him. "This may be my only chance to speak with him uninterrupted. And Viggo is right; he can't kill me because Luna would kill him. Leave now and come back with others who can help." She hoped he understood who she meant.

"There is no one who can help," Drago sneered, "but try if you must."

Toothless pressed his head against the bars of the cage. Luna did the same, whining softly. Resolve overtook Toothless' face, and he bounded over to Dagur. "Okay, we'll get help!" Dagur said, getting the message and climbing onto Toothless' back. "We're not abandoning you, Eira. We'll be back soon! I promise!"

"I know!" Eira shouted back. Once they were gone, she sat on the ground and leaned against the back of the cage. What a mess!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.1K 596 17
OneArtsyGamer03 here, lovelies Republishing of How to Protect Your Dragon <3 ... Ah, Berk. The perfect island where Vikings and dragons can live in p...
1.7K 23 5
Hiccup had won the honor of killing an agressive Monstrous Nightmare. Since, he wouldn't kill a dragon, his only option: To run away and leave Berk f...
24.7K 1.1K 17
OneArtsyGamer03 here, lovelies... Republishing of "How to Fight for Your Dragon" :) ... Ah, Berk. The seasons are mostly cold, the people are a bit...
193K 6.9K 49
(COMPLETED) Once their time in the Great Beyond had come to an end, the riders returned to Berk for good. But thier search for new islands and dragon...