The Companions of the Old Tal...

By TruthfulNomad

Castiel finds himself stranded on this strange magical world where he encounters a past friend, some new frie... More

Chapter One
Chapter two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 13

4 0 0
By TruthfulNomad

Note: I'm back from my hiatus! Just a reminder that this and my other two stories "Fathers and Sons" and "The Do'Urden brothers" will be updated at a slower pace than they had been previously because I am working hard at my original novel series, but I should be able to update at least one fic every week.

Also, I wanted to give a heads up about the direction of this fic. First off, my writing style is 'spontaneous prose' which means I don't work from an outline, so every chapter is as much of a surprise to me as it is to anyone else. I have always used this style, I love it because it's so liberating. I write what I want. Second, I am contemplating eventually moving the setting of this story to the modern world. I want to do this because when I started this story, I was eager to write in the Faerun world and I started out with just this one fic. But now I have three fics, two of which take place on Faerun ("Fathers and Sons" takes place on Middle Earth) so as such, I kinda want to have some diversity with regards to the settings. Also, seeing a bunch of drow walking down the streets of a major modern city would be absolutely hilarious and adorable and I can't pass that up.

Don't worry, the setting won't change for a long time. All my characters are all spread out and there's a lot to cover in this setting. But eventually, that is the direction I am going in. Perhaps it will happen in a sequel after I wrap out these plots. Who knows, because that's the beauty of spontaneous prose. In any case, I just wanted to give readers a heads up.

Also Note: I am contemplating a fourth fic. Not sure what it will be about yet although I am leaning towards a 'marooned on a deserted island/planet/whatever' trope. I know I want the fic to have Drizzt, Legolas, Dinin, Fili, Kili, and perhaps Berg'inyon and even Entreri in it. I have been reading the Sellsword trilogy, just started the second book and I am really itching to include Entreri somewhere. So yeah, I'm not sure about the plot or setting just yet but something is definitely brewing. Let me know what sorts of stories you might like to see with the mentioned characters. I definitely think it will be another Drizzt/Ellifain Tuuserail pairing like "fathers and sons" but we shall see.

**********************************************************

Dinin Do'Urden was nervous about being in the Underdark this far away from Menzoberranzan. He took comfort in all the protection that went along with him, though he wasn't so confident about his travel partners.

Before Jarlaxle had left the drow city, he had managed to recruit one more dark elf into their intrepid quartet, and the one chosen had Dinin and Berg'inyon both on edge. Even now, as the former elderboy of House Do'Urden gripped the reigns of his subterranean lizard mount as it scurried along the wall, giving him a sideways vantage point of the tunnels and caves they were moving though, he found himself stealing glances at Kimmuriel Oblodra.

The mysterious third house had always been regarded with suspicion for their use of psionics. The mind control powers unnerved Dinin about even being in this one's presence.

"Your thoughts are louder than the cries of a dying troll," Kimmuriel casually commented as he trotted along in between Dinin and Berg'inyon and their lizard mounts. He turned his characteristic stone face Dinin's direction as Jarlaxle only smirked, the mercenary walking casual beside him, twirling his wide brim purple hat around in his hand as if he hadn't a care in the world.

"My thoughts are my own," Dinin sneered, shooting the stoic psionic user a threatening glare.

"And they are mine," Kimmuriel replied simply, his tone provocative, as if he was challenging Dinin to do anything about it. "And they are fascinating to be sure. They've provided me with enough entertainment during this mundane little excursion."

Dinin cringed as he settled into his saddle, prodding his lizard along. He had no doubt that Kimmuriel had been observing his thoughts and his true fears about this mission. It wasn't a fear of the many horrors that lived in the wilds of the underdark. Dinin had battled hook horrors and beholders and was confident in his own ability to keep himself alive in the face of such monsters.

After all, he had managed to survive the downfall of his house, and had even thrived under Jarlaxle's benevolent leadership. He couldn't say he quite understood or supported all of the eccentric mercenary's ways, ways that seem to fly in the face of proper society in Menzoberranzan, but he was grateful to Jarlaxle for giving him this opportunity.

No, Dinin thought to himself- and to Kimmuriel, it would appear- the Underdark was never something the drow had feared. Instead, he feared that this journey would bring him closer to his wayward brother, a drow he had no desire to see again.

"Oh not to worry, Dinin Do'Urden," Kimmuriel continued, making it a point to emphasize Dinin's family name. "For Berg'inyon has the same fears. After all, you've both seen the renegade Drizzt Do'Urden in action, haven't you? And surely neither of you wish to encounter him in battle. And who could blame you? Though certainly bringing his head back to Menzoberranzan would certainly be a prize."

Dinin glanced across the tunnel they were traversing to Berg'inyon as the young Baenre moved along the opposite wall on his own lizard mount. Of course Dinin and Berg'inyon were personally affected by the actions of the renegade. Berg'inyon had been in the same class as Drizzt and though his jealousy over being defeated year after year by him was surely profound, so was his realization of Drizzt's skill.

And Dinin was Drizzt's older brother and the last time he had faced his younger sibling, far out in the wilds of the Underdark, he and Briza had been tasked with bringing his brother back to face his crimes, what he had encountered in Drizzt was nothing short of a monstrous fiend. Dinin had barely escaped the encounter with his life and he sincerely had no interest in ever laying eyes on his brother ever again.

"Drizzt is only one drow," Jarlaxle spoke up as he strode along. "In a world more vast than either of you could imagine, my young friends. Perhaps our paths will cross if destiny wills it, but instead of concerning yourself about what might happen, why not concern yourselves with the adventure at your feet?"

"Adventure in Gracklstugh?" Berg'inyon surmised as Dinin was reminded of the great Duergar capitol they were enroute to. They were nearly upon their destination, they had traveled for nearly five days to make the 100 mile trek to the grey dwarf capitol, and Dinin couldn't help but be intrigued by what they might find there.

"We are here at the request of Matron Mez'Barris Armgo," Jarlaxle explained. "King Steelshadow will certainly entertain our party if he wishes to keep his current trade partner in the second house."

"We are on a trade mission?" Kimmuriel scowled as he eyed the eccentric leader.

Jarlaxle simply put his hat back on his head and chuckled. "Perhaps, under the guise of one. I admit, I am quite fond of the ale and the exquisite smoked rothe cheese."

Dinin frowned as he regarded Jarlaxle. He noted Kimmuriel and Berg'inyon both visibly bristle, their bodies glowing in the infrared drow dark vision as heated by irritation. Their reactions showed they considered this task to be beneath them, but Dinin understood Jarlaxle by now.

"To do the bidding of the second house is not our only reason for being here," he spoke with confidence as he and Jarlaxle exchanged knowing glances. "Perhaps our path will lead beyond Gracklstugh."

"Ahh and on to the wide world above," Jarlaxle confirmed, causing Kimmriel and Berg'inyon to cringe even more. "I have plans for Bregan D'Aerthe. Plans that will bring us fortune and fame both at home and abroad. Think of it my young friends. I have my sights on three surface cities; Luskan, Waterdeep, and Calimport. My arm will reach far and wide from my base in these cities and then I will know more than most drow do for few would dare to venture where I dare."

Dinin had to admit that he had mixed feelings about the surface. He had only been there once and the unknown and unfamiliar was something that he wasn't sure he had the courage to face. But he couldn't deny the allure. Few drow in Menzoberranzan ever left their city for longer than the time it would take to complete a short mission. Even in the centuries that a drow might be expected to live, most spent them within the confines of their city.

Dinin would certainly gain more knowledge than drow many times his age, and certainly that prospect had its allure.

"We find ourselves in the midst of petty house schemes," Jarlaxle continued. "Mez'Barris wishes to secure her trade. Briza Do'Urden wants to reclaim what was once lost. K'yorl Oblodra's mysterious powers make her enemies as well as allies. And of course there is Matron Baenres and her mysterious house guest. I imagine all four of them will call upon the services of Bregan D'Aerthe many times and imagine our hold over them when our power and influence reach all the way to the surface."

Dinin glanced at Berg'inyon and Kimmuriel. It seemed convenient that the three of them stood at Jarlaxle's side considering their family ties. Berg'inyon was a Baenres, Kimmuriel was an Oblodra, and Dinin, of course, was a Do'Urden. And all three of them were more loyal to Jarlaxle than to their own houses. They were all misfits, perhaps. Deposed nobles who had been given a chance for glory instead of destitution as their houses fell, or their usefulness to their houses had come to an end.

As they rounded the last bend in their journey, they came upon the enormous cavern that housed the Darklake. Dinin's lizard scurried down to an even level as the four of them gazed upon the impressive sight. The darkened waters spread out before them, and on the far shores sat the imposing Duegar capitol, Gracklstugh.

The drow were greeted at the shores of the dark lake by a creaking old row boat and a gruff old Duegar who narrowed in on Jarlaxle with his beady eyes, glowing with dark vision.

"Well, what are ye waitn for?" he grumbled as the drow came forth. "Board and let's be on our way with ye. And don't ye even think about getting near me boat with those slimy beasts."

Frowning as Jarlaxle gave a nod to him and Berg'inyon, Dinin dismounted as two other dwarves hopped off the boat and took the reins with assurance that their lizards would be returned when they departed the city. If they departed.

"Come my young companions," Jarlaxle beckoned as he led them onto the boat, tipping his hat to the ferryman as he settled down comfortably. "The king is not a patient dwarf if I recall."

"Aye," the grey dwarf confirmed. "Much less so as of late." The vague ominousness in the dwarf's tone gave Dinin pause as he sat down on the boat.

"He hasn't been hisself," the ferryman explained as he waited for his drow charges to settle in before beginning to row. "Conflict wit surface dwarves has gotten him riled, so they say."

"Never fear then," Jarlaxle said, his tone suggesting this bit of information had piqued his curiosity. "We come to serve, of course."

With that, the drow rowed towards the Duergar city of Gracklstugh, and towards their destiny. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 348 30
After ten years, the apocalypse seems to have ended, but no one can figure how, or why. Dean Winchester and his brother, Sam, had been hiding out in...
2.9K 197 21
Oh, now feel it coming back again Like a rolling thunder chasing the wind Forces pulling from the center of the Earth again I can feel it SAM WINCHES...
256K 14.5K 30
❝ π’πŽ π˜πŽπ” π“π‡πˆππŠ π˜πŽπ” 𝐂𝐀𝐍 π‹πŽπ•π„ πŒπ„ 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐕𝐄 πŒπ„ π“πŽ πƒπˆπ„?❞ ❰ A SUPERNATURAL BROTHER FIC ! ❱...
5 0 2
It started with demon blood. Things have only gone downhill from there. Now Sam is admitted into a drug abuse treatment center where he will have to...