Eliot Strange and the Prince...

By Whywatt57

Eliot and her best friend, Steven, are teenage survivors of the end of the world. Eliot's dad is a world-reno... More

Author's Notes
Prologue
1) It Begins with a Prince
2) The Girl Tells Her Story
3) This is How it Ends
4) The Day of the EMP
5) First Night
6) Summer Camp
7) One Friday Night
8) Steven
9) The Massacre
10) Back Inside
11) Here and Now - Months After the EMP
12) Going for Supplies
13) Back to School
14) Mr. Ramsay's Room
15) A Possible Sighting of a Prince
16) Wanted
17) Confirmation of a Celebrity Sighting
18) The Prince
19) Editor of the Paper
20) Tearing Down and Apart
21) Back Home
22) Your Prince Charming
23) The Resistance
24) The Rebel Editor
25) Stranger in my House
26) Cindy Lou Who
27) Visit to a Neighbor
28) Visit from a Neighbor
29) Birthday Surprise
30) To the Rescue
31) A Trip to the Library
32) Prayer for a Hero
33) Memorial Day
34) An Unexpected Guest
35) Tiffany Jo
36) Last Stand of the Rebel Editor
37) Hit the Showers
38) Leaving
39) The Truth About My Mom
40) A Dream Come True
41) Our Broken Prince
42) My Dream Girl
44) Find the Girls
45) Gone Again
46) Police Car #89
47) Finding Some Old Friends
48) Friday Night Game
49) Game Time
50) Dreaming and Awake
51) For the Win
52) This is How it Begins
Epilogue

43) Lonely

28 14 9
By Whywatt57

 This is what I think about when Torin sleeps. I am alone.

I was really always alone. The life of every only child, I guess. We learn to play alone, stay alone. I can't say we learn to adapt because we really never know any different. Though, I did know my life was not what others were living. My life was not normal, not normal in many ways.

My parents believed that it was necessary for a young girl to learn to kill. If you think this was at times confusing, you are right. My dad explained killing game by saying that it was a matter of survival. "One day we may need animals in the woods to survive. They are a viable food source."

I did not understand "viable food source". I saw small animals killed. This worried me.

"Are we going to kill Fluffy and eat her?" I asked my mother.

"No," she said, "never."

"Why?" I wanted to know. "She's a viable food source?"

"Well, first of all, she's a cat."

"They don't taste good?"

"Umm, well to some cultures, maybe. But to ours, no."

"So, she tastes nasty, and we won't eat her."

"No, but we won't eat her mostly because she is our pet, and she is innocent. It would be disgraceful to kill something that trusts you."

"Good," I said, "because I love Fluffy."

I am not so sure about my father. He may have eaten Fluffy if it was necessary.

Not my mother. If she says it, she means it. She is a woman of conviction. My mother is an independent, self-advocacy kind of girl. She is confident and eager to advance. Like my dad, she can fire a gun and skin a rabbit, and for awhile that was enough for her. Hanging out with dad, growing their small business, traveling to conferences, and taking care of me was enough for her. Then, she grew bored with the normal mom life. She wanted more out of life than being a wife and mother.

I can't blame her. The life of wife and mother is a hard one, no matter its moments of joy and fulfillment. The life of a wife and mother is lonesome. Lonesome because you put everyone before yourself. I guess you never even really get to know yourself. 

It is a sad thing. And boring. And lonely.

And this is why I decide to forgive my mother for lying to me. She has her reasons. She may have a lot of reasons for all the things she did. While none of them seem like they were for me, who knows?

Maybe, my mom has her reasons. And maybe, I was one of them. This is what I think about when Torin sleeps.

It is hard to hate your mama, even when she's done bad things, because if you don't have your mama, you got nobody on your side. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

45 5 4
Matt wanders back into Alexs's life... injured and babbling. Why is he here? Alex doesn't have time to argue, not with Matt's life on the line. Howev...
160 0 36
Trouble will find you where you least expect it. Both Belle and Ben are caught off-guard with it themselves. When an old nemesis comes back to settl...
1.1K 36 23
Welcome to Prideland. Where paradise is an illusion. Prince Ian had everything. A title. A crown. Even the love of his life. But when a horrifying d...
68 0 15
four years ago the end of the world happened, humans almost became extinct. Danny was 13 when her world changed. at 14 everyone she loved died. now s...