The Runaway

By JaneKiley713

Daniel is an aspiring lawyer, like his Uncle Keegan. He has plans to become a member of parliament, even Prim... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Recent Events
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Epilogue

75 4 0
By JaneKiley713

Olivia GoddardDecember 23, 1845

I watched Edith and Matthew as they fawned around their grandmother. She had the latest letter from their Aunty Katrina. Katrina and Henry had moved their family to Canada officially a few months earlier. Henry's family was so excited, as Katrina had relayed, to meet their grandchildren. Before they had left, she had given birth to my niece Cassandra. She demanded that Daniel and I were her God-parents.

Truthfully, being that baby-girl's God-mother helped me heal a little faster. She made me feel whole again, to fill the void that was stolen from me. It brought Daniel and I closer as a couple. He was bedridden for a month after Victor had removed the bullet. Even after Victor forced Daniel to walk, Daniel refused to return back to London right away. Part of the reason was because I wouldn't leave. Isa and the girls still needed Victor's care, and I needed Isa. Begrudgingly, we moved into the empty manor, as a way to help us heal. Isa was physically well by now, but mentally still recovering.

Katrina left us when Cassandra turned three months old. We would have thought that Lady Imogen would have been distraught, losing six members of her family for a few years. But not really. I found I was pregnant in late February of 1845, following the wedding Isa and Keegan. Isa and Keegan followed suit not long after us.

I was excited—Daniel and I were going to expand our family. We were finally free to give Edith and Matthew a brother or sister. By May, at my most irritable, Isa had received a letter from her mother. We hadn't received news about Jacob, but it was assumed that he had passed shortly after he arrived back on the plantation. The letter Isa received shocked us all. Jacob arrived back to the plantation in a pine box. According to his traveling companion, he accrued an infection from his wound. He died in port. When he arrived on the plantation, it shocked their father so badly, he had a heart attack. The bastard died two weeks after the New Year. Her mother said it had taken so long to write her daughter because she had to fight the will. Everything was Isa's.

Isa couldn't travel. Keegan wouldn't have let her, even if she wasn't pregnant. Keegan was ready to set off in August, after celebrating Matthew and Clarissa's birthdays. We hadn't talked about it since January, but Daniel wanted to free my family. All of them—my parents, my siblings, their spouses and families. I didn't think we had the money, even though he had a job and a small allowance from his father. He promised me that he'd go with Keegan, and beg the Mistress if he had to.

The last letter I heard from him was in early October, stating that they were fixing to leave Louisiana in less than a week with Isa's mother. Nothing about my family.

Abigail plopped herself beside me, rubbing her swollen belly. A little over a month until the next grandchild was born. She looked so uncomfortable. In the beginnings of her pregnancy, everything was mostly normal. It was only when she began showing, her body began slowing down. I didn't like seeing her in pain, but she assured me this was the last child she would ever bare.

"How is my little Mark?" She asked, playing with his toes. I smiled, pressing a kiss to his downy head. He had Daniel's beautiful eyes, something he missed while he was in Louisiana.

"Mark is starting to express some teeth," I murmured. "It'd be easier if Danny was home." Abby offered me a sad smile, taking my free hand.

"He'll be home soon. He said by Christmas—that's only a little under two days away."

I nodded, glancing over at her. He never broke a promise, and I had no reason to expect that now. Isa had her same concerns. We tried to manage—God knows we did. Isa and I were only a few weeks apart in our deliveries, and Lady Imogen all but forced us to move back into the manor. I was pleased about that—there were six children under five between us, on top of two new infants. I think we would have cracked under the pressure.

"Well, I think that girl is trying to kill me!" Lady Imogen exclaimed. We all looked towards her, our expressions mostly similar. It seems only the children were interested in the letter.

"What are you on about, Mother?" Albert asked, bouncing his little boy, James, on his knee. Helen was reluctantly on bedrest. She confided only in Abby and me, but she was expecting—again. We weren't to tell anyone until after the New Year—after Abby gave birth.

"Katrina is expecting another baby—and it has been born in Canada!" She cried. "What am I supposed to do? Who knows what the doctors are like over there!"

"My love, you're being a bit dramatic." Lord Derek uttered, cuddling Marie to his chest. Lady Imogen huffed, throwing the letter on the table. She pulled Edith onto her knee, fixing her little braids.

"Edith, is Nanny being dramatic?" She prompted, pressing a kiss to her forehead. Edith shook her head, pressing her forehead into Lady Imogen's neck. "See, I'm not being dramatic."

Lod Derek muttered something under his breath—something about Edith not knowing Nanny for the past 30 years. I snickered at them, hoping that one day Daniel and I would bicker like that. Mark squawked, his little fist hitting my chest. It was nearing his bedtime, and soon, Matthew and Edith would need to go to bed with their cousins.

Mr. Jacobs entered the room as I was ready to collect my children. He wore a sly smile, but wasn't sure why. Lord Derek and Lady Imogen shared a look before addressing Mr. Jacobs.

"My apologies, but there is a visitor in the front hall. Should I turn them away?"

Lord Derek stood, shifting Marie to his hip. I adjusted my straps and stood as well, my heart racing. I prayed it was Danny trying to be funny. Isa stood as well, her thoughts aligning with mine. Lord Derek glanced at us, finally making his decision.

"No, we shall accept them. The girls and I shall come with you." The four of us left the dining room, Isa and I gripping each other's hands. If it truly was our husbands—well, it'd be a Christmas miracle. On a good day, the halls of this house only took mere moments to maneuver. Yet, when the love of one's life returns from spending months abroad, the halls turn into never-ending roads. I could have fainted when we reached the front hall. They were home. Lord Derek embraced them quickly as Isa and I stood there, utterly shocked.

Danny nearly knocked me over in his pursuit of me. He kissed me thoroughly, my knees buckled nearly from just his touch. He pulled away, his eyes glistening with tears. He stood as close as he could, given that the baby was between us. Daniel touched his head, laughing softly.

"When did this happen?" He questioned, peeling back some of the wrap to look at Mark's face.

"October 3rd," I whispered. I glanced down at Mark, his eyes wide as he stared up at his father. "Edith thought he was her birthday present."

"He," Daniel breathed, slowly kneeling in front of me. "What name did we chose for him?"

"Mark James Goddard."

Daniel smiled as he pressed a kiss to Mark's head. He stood slowly, using my arms for support. He still struggled with his leg. He was supposed to use a cane, but I suppose that he had left it with his father for the moment.

"Hello Mark," He whispered. "I won't miss another birth—never again." He promised me. I nodded, leaning into his frame.

"Come, Edith and Matthew will be so excited to see you." I took his hand, trying to pull him towards the dining room. Daniel stopped me, tugging me towards the front parlor. Lord Derek passed him his cane, which he leaned on.

"I've brought something back from Louisiana. I think it's best if you come see it now." He pressed a kiss to my knuckles, pulling me closer to him. "I promise you'll love it."

We walked quickly, Daniel telling me a little about his travels and the people he encountered. He told me of how horrid over-sea travel was, and that if we ever wanted to take a honeymoon, he desperately wanted to stay in England. I laughed, but agreed whole-heartedly. I did not think sea travel was in our future at all. When we reached the study door, he paused, turning to me.

"Close your eyes, please?" He asked, placing his hand on the doorknob. I did as he asked, placing one hand on Mark's back, and the other out for Daniel to take. He pulled me into the room, stopping not too far in.

"Can I open them yet, darling?" I murmured. "You're making me nervous." I heard him chuckle before pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"Whenever you're ready, my love."

I opened my eyes slowly, expecting to find some of my belongings strewn about the room. I was not prepared to see my family. I hadn't seen them in six years. I looked at Daniel, unsure if I was hallucinating.

"How?" I managed, stumbling forwards towards them.

"I was ready to bargain with Mrs. Wilde. I guess Isabella had sent a letter prior to our departure, telling her mother that all slaves on the property were to be freed, and to keep your family on the property until we arrived." Daniel offered, moving with me. My mother pulled me into her embrace, and for the first time in forever, I crumbled.

"Oh, my baby," She murmured. "That boy is just most wonderful thing that has ever happened to you." Soon enough Daddy, Nora, Thom, Aggie, Georgie, and Joey joined our hug, and none of us said a word. We only pulled apart when Mark squawked at his sudden awareness.

"May I?" Mama asked, holding her hands out for my son. I undid my straps and passed Mark to my mother, watching them bond before my eyes. Daddy pulled me into a hug once more, and I hugged him to me. I missed him, beyond words, I missed him. I couldn't help the tears that came from my eyes. I missed all of them, and now they were here—forever, they were here.

"It's alright, sweet girl." Daddy whispered, pressing his cheek to my head. "We ain't never leaving you again. Besides, I heard I have grandchildren to meet." I laughed into his chest, pulling back slightly.

"Yes, you'll meet them soon." I confirmed. I looked back at Daniel, smiling through my tears. "Where are they staying? They must be staying with us—I won't take no for an answer!" With a hefty sigh, Daniel stood, limping his way over to us. He must have been on it for too long today. He reached us, leaning on his cane.

"For now, they'll be staying with us at the house. I've asked Papa—I sent some plans after reaching the plantation, to make some cottages around our property. Enough for your parents and siblings to live on their own comfortably."

I threw my arms around Daniel, nearly knocking him over. It really was a Christmas miracle. I didn't deserve his kindness or generosity. I didn't deserve him. He caught me, wrapping his free arm tightly around my waist. I knew my Daddy was watching, probably my brothers too. My heart nearly burst from how complete it felt.

Edith and Matthew came running in, Lord Derek and Lady Imogen behind them. I pulled away from Daniel, kneeling down to collect our children. Edith wiggled her way into Daniel's arms, peppering kisses about his face. Matthew looked past me at the room filled with his family. My mother stood, walking over to my Daddy.

"I'm getting too old for this," Lady Imogen muttered, trying to catch her breath. Lord Derek took her hand, turning towards my family.

"Hello, I am Derek Goddard, this is my wife, Imogen." Lord Derek extended his hand to my Daddy. "On behalf of my family, we would like to welcome you into our expanding brood."

Daddy looked at Mamma, then my siblings. Without any extra hesitation, he took Lord Derek's hand and pulled him into a swift hug.

"Thank you for loving my daughter."

*

*

*

*

*

Hello Lovelies,

We've come to an end of a chapter. The Runaway is now complete. Thank you for coming along on the journey. Starting next week we will update the FINAL book in the series--The Mystery. Keep an eye out next thursday-ish.

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.6K 4.1K 15
He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce an heir. Giving up being a rake will be...
230K 11.5K 25
| Completed | "I've never been more certain of anything in my life, Kitten. You...were made for me." Elijah Wright, the Duke of Kent, grew up learnin...
837K 20.5K 25
Imogen O'Boyle is the daughter of a poor, Irish shoemaker. Upon her father's death, she learns that he had made a deal with the current Duke of Suffo...
57.4K 2.1K 98
Meet Sarah, 20 years, a sweet and tender-hearted young girl, who, despite facing the harshness of life, always puts others' needs before her own. Her...