The Heretics

By MissFantasyy

BOOK THREE - promised series Espheros is inhabited by more than just the human species. Shifters and Immortal... More

Foreword
Map of Espheros
Prologue
1: Changing Tides
2: Moska
3: Closure
5: Conflictions
6: Filling Holes
7: Echos
8: Customs and Culture
9: Absence
10: New Acquaintances
11: Predispositions
12: Survival
13: The Heretics
14: Assessments
15: Illusions
16: Picking Sides
17: Heritage
18: Blinding Pain
19: The Shadows
20: Down to Business
21: Relentless Assault
22: Facing the Darkness
23: Complete
24: The Influence of Bonds
25: Tied Together
26: Glow
27: Final Control
28: Training Session
29: Strategy
30: Tear of Sadness
31: Heat
32: Family
33: In a Fortnight
34: Complete Control
35: Invincibility
36: The Past
37: The Sermin
38: Regret
38.1: Regret
39: The Sentinels
40: Currents
41: Fooling the Illusionist
42: Echos
43: Fate
44: Darkness
45: An End to it All
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Ancients on Amazon!
Bonus Chapter

4: Leadership

407 37 17
By MissFantasyy

The three Thrakos brothers disappeared in the depths of their prison, below the sand that began to warm as the sun heated it from above. When they finally returned, it was time to go to the center of Polla'Nisia, a place they called 'Cinat'. It was their capital and according to Tyrion, 'more beautiful than anything we've ever seen'.

With a grim mood I moved behind the Thrakos men without paying much attention to anything or anyone. I sensed Kendra in front with her promised and my brothers in proximity. And I was somewhat content that they were leaving me alone so I could wallow in my own sulking. I shocked myself at how emotional I was about being parted from Reagan, especially knowing that he was with another female. Hypocrisy was definitely a term that kept floating around in my mind but it did nothing to change the bad mood I was in, unfortunately. Then again, I'd been with Holden before I met Reagan. Reagan chose to carry Deina over me, after us going so far to complete the third stage.

We walked quite a distance in which I kept my sight on my feet without scanning my surroundings like most of my pack mates probably were. I scolded myself then, reminding myself that even if I wasn't in any emotional state to at least enjoy my surroundings, I should have enough sense to analyse any possible escape routes out of this place should things go haywire.

The damn Promised Bond was excruciatingly annoying, and it was already changing me. Jealousy was an emotion I'd never experienced quite so intensely before.

I wasn't going to stand for it!

And so I tried to put on a brave face and let go of the fear that had begun to take a hold of my heart, making it feel cold in my chest.

For the first time since leaving the prison in which the traitors had been left, I looked at my surroundings and drank in the sight I was fortunate enough to behold.

The sky was drenched in various, intense shades of blue. The sun was hidden behind some clouds which gave the indigo its vibrance rather than lightening it up and making it seem like a light blue. My eyes followed the birds that flew above, large creatures with rainbow-coloured feathers that grew longer towards their tails. Their beaks were black and as far as I could tell, they had white eyes which seemed ghostly but somehow still looked beautiful. Amongst those birds flew a raven, tiny in comparison. I suspected it was Kendra's raven, though I wasn't sure for how much longer it would be permitted to roam the skies above a place that wasn't supposed to exist for the rest of Espheros.

Once we exited the forest and civilization came into view, the sheer grandness of it all took my breath away. Literally.

For a few seconds, I stopped breathing altogether.

The view that stood before me was one I barely believed could even exist. Not even the mansions we'd seen down at the ocean in Everett Valley were capable of being compared to this.

Buildings as large as two mansions put together stood before us, like castles made of white stone. They weren't marble like the interior of the Thrakos mansion had been, but it vibrated with nobility and prestige. The architecture of the buildings was old fashioned and, as far as I'd learned in the Iarhus, belonged to a style people called 'goth'. Windows lined one side from top to bottom, the glass blurred to block sight to the interior. There was no roof in the traditional sense since the building resembled more a castle than anything else.

And where one building seemed to be finished, another was built right beside it in such a similar matter that it almost looked like they were one and the same.

Everything I could see, being so small in comparison, was the same. They were all huge and built with white stones with incredibly large windows. One building in particular caught my attention as I attempted to look up—mostly to see how high up they went—but that one swallowed the horizon like it was the only palace standing in the entirety of Espheros. For that was what it was—a palace.

It stood farther away, that much I could tell. It was at the very end of whatever this was, and it was so big and so high it was endless. Built in the same style as the rest, it had much more pillars and towers. Resembling a U-shape, it probably consisted of two wings. Both tips of the U ended with towers which had enough space for at least four dragons to land. The dimensions were...

They were breathtaking.

And terrifying.

"I've never felt so small in my entire life," Jaxxon commented, bringing me back to the tiny spot we were all in, at the edge of this huge, magical place that was more surreal than anything else.

With my mouth agape, I turned to him and nodded dumbstruck.

"Is everyone seeing what I'm seeing?" Leana added, causing her sister Debrova to chuckle.

Emmet guffawed. "I have no idea what we're even looking at."

A few nods went through the pack. Reece's face had shock and amazement written all over it, his pupils dilated as he marveled at what stood before us in its glory. His jaw dropped slightly.

Suddenly, a wave of euphoria went through all of us and we started bellowing in laughter, the sounds bubbling out of our stomachs.

"This is just amazing!" Debrova screeched and more laughter followed.

"It's absolutely freaking breathtaking," her sister added, and I agreed silently, a grin stretched out over my face.

Yes, it certainly was.

"You should see the interior of the castle. It's even worse than all of this," Dante muttered and I shot a glance to him right away, tilting my head in question.

"He means that the queen has a very extravagant taste. The castle is much more, well, palatial then the rest of the capital," Dante's twin Ryker explained, accompanied by Dante's grunt.

Smiling internally, I figured it was somewhat typical that Dante didn't like the whole display of luxury and I looked at the capital with different eyes now, finding it all a little bit over the top. It was still beautiful––but it was indeed an extreme show of wealth and I wondered if the rest of Polla'Nisia displayed the same level of decadence.

The Thrakos men lead us through the streets of Cinat as Ryker explained that the plastered walkways had only been constructed when mankind came into existence and their ancestors began walking amongst them to find out more about them. Their original homes had been within the mountains, away from any kind of civilization. When Cora asked about the creation of mankind, Ryker did not supply her with an answer but shrugged it off and said, "We do not know exactly how humans were created, just like we don't know how we ourselves were woven by magic. No one from that time has surpassed it since everything that lives dies eventually."

"Adding to that, Ryker doesn't believe in religion. We do have our practices and our beliefs, he just doesn't think they're true," Tyrion elaborated.

"So according to you, Tyrion, when did life start?" Cora pushed.

I couldn't quite understand what it was she wanted to gain, knowing about that. Would knowing where we came from really solve anything? Religion had never much been my strong suit, especially growing up with a sibling that spurted logical explanations like a talking encyclopedia. But talking about it now amidst all of what was going on seemed foolish.

"I think our worries exceed the necessity of knowing about religion. Let's get going. We have much to talk about, I expect," Emmet said, voicing my sentiments, and cut the conversation off.

"Yes. There is a lot of things that we must discuss." Reece gave Ryker a pointed look, who didn't miss a beat.

Ryker nodded. "I agree. But this is a matter you must take up with Reagan." Ryker paused shortly and added, "One leader to another."

----

I hope the descriptions of the castle/palace were fathomable!

Are you liking it so far?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.2K 4.3K 31
Wolves of Ragnarök - Book 1 WINNER OF THE ALPHA AWARDS 2023! **WATTPAD FEATURED STORY** What would you give up to keep your family safe? The time whe...
30 0 29
The world is covered in darkness, the sun is shrouded in clouds of space dust. Water turned to ice and warmth was a rare luxury to the animals still...
89.4K 3K 31
(3RD BOOK OF BLOOD WOLF SERIES) Quinn doubted ever finding someones else after the passing of her mate. Alone. Pained. Joyless. But fortunately for h...