The Exiled Gem

By Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... More

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

An Effortless Revenge

158 14 10
By Maplebell

'Why do you always get head injuries?!' Liam demanded later on from Alexandra. Himself, he was not looking even grazed. 'Are you okay?' He then asked, the two swords he had used again, dripping red. For a while it struck Alexandra as ironical - he was the one who had fought fifty men, and then was asking her if she was okay...

Dispelling that idea, she threw her arms around him in reply. Liam dropped the swords to reciprocate - for a glorious moment, Alexandra didn't feel she was in any dungeon; surroundings didn't matter at all. Then-

'As much as I appreciate the openness - this is not the best time!' Fannel reminded, clearly exasperated.

'Right.' Both of them accepted-  at once, 'and this,' Alexandra continued, unfastening Liam's cloak, 'is too bloodstained to be worn.'

He shrugged, 'Whatever you say,' and let the cloak crumple on the ground, 'now - where's your mad aunt at?'

'Aunt?!' Demanded Fannel, taking a step forward, brows furrowed.

'Sort of an aunt,' Liam corrected, 'more of an inside joke - actually. Anyhow, the mad woman?'

'The highest security Cell.' Alexandra continued hurriedly, before Fannel got more suspicious, 'It will be the lowest one.' She added. The three of them left the groaning sentries on the ground and turned to descend further into the dungeons.

'But why do we need her?!' Alexandra demanded - after recounting in bits and pieces almost all of what had happened. Including parts about Nicholas being alive - hearing which, neither of men appeared very surprised.

'We don't want any more wars.' Liam professed - reminding Alexandra of Nicholas, 'the only way - is to take her to Austin - and end it. The Dovish, meanwhile, will attack if we don't get her to confess her crimes. Before coming here, I asked the commander to follow only his orders - to wait at the border. If we didn't get Sabel's confession out, then he could attack. And... let's say, sort things out his way.'

'Why would you give him your troops?!' Alexandra demanded again, even more hotly - why should there be the need of giving the entire army! Alright - political reasons, obviously - but what?

Liam looked at her for a second, descending the stone steps - Alexandra didn't catch his expression in the dark. 'When you want to marry somebody's sister, you have to keep them happy. And those subtle laws of surrender and defeat in war can be anyone's doom,' he explained, in a whisper, 'because he surrendered, Austin still holds the right to lift off your exile any second and drag you back to Doveland with all brotherly authority. And,' he added the "and" audibly, 'that King was extremely furious and everything - the troops were a peace offering. More of a deal, that in case we didn't succeed and that I, myself, ended up in one of these cellars - there should be somebody to lead them. Though, I spent twenty eight valuable minutes explaining why he shouldn't attack right away and only wait at the outskirts - at least for half a week-'

'But he's already attacked.' Alexandra cried, as they rushed down more steps. No guards were left around: most had run off to call help, reinforcements. But there was obviously no one left to call, because the troops were all in for a battle.

'What?!'

'I heard the messenger say that, the reason Nicholas went away in such a haste - Nicholas said he'd try to talk. But why would Austin listen to him?! He won't even believe that the man is actually Nicholas. Somebody who was supposed to be dead!' She explained. Liam shook his head slowly, cursing.

'That dirty double-crosser - you see if I ever find him-' Then he stopped, looking at Alexandra, who looked ahead of them, into the darkness.

'I agree - that IS a dirty trick, not having an army of his own - so using one that was just entrusted to him.' Alexandra agreed, 'But why did you have to come here?!'

'What sort of a question is that?' Liam frowned, 'the commander is here, my troops are here, you are here - what should I do sitting in Idgard?!'

'Just what you were doing before! Fine, leave it now,' she said, though slightly flattered by the you are here part.

'Go on,' Fannel grumbled, 'keep talking. Don't notice me. I don't exist.' They had been descending into what appeared like never ending darkness to Alexandra, but as he said that, the steps turned towards the right and they entered a depressing part of the prison - cold dread settling on their shoulders like feathery snow.

Alexandra guiltily turned to her brother, yes - she had not given him any attention, 'Mark - I did notice you! I can understand Liam coming - but you, when you're already engaged - did anybody ever tell you how GREAT you are?' The atmosphere of these cells - most empty - was an utmost dispiriting one. The two men appeared unaffected, but Alexandra felt her body shudder involuntarily.

'I did tell him that - five days ago.' Liam supplied, though he quietened after receiving a stop messing around look from Alexandra.

'What's obvious - like my greatness - needn't be mentioned,' Fannel added, running his hand along the stone wall, drinking in their surroundings. 'Heavens, I can't believe I'm joking in a depressing prison.'

'Me neither - because you don't joke even on Earth, with the sunlight.' Alexandra agreed, 'There!' She then cried, pointing to a dingy little prison with not even a single window. The Aunt Sabel stood there, her arms folded and looking murderous. When she saw them approach, she came up to the bars, her eyes widened and her face going through a million emotions at once before getting covered by a mask of unconcern.

'Mark-' Liam began-

'Yes, I'm on it!' Fannel muttered, pulling out his quill-like instrument again - Alexandra wondered how Liam and Fannel seemed to have a perfect understanding of each other. They conversed like twins.

'You are freeing me?!' Aunt Sabel cried, meanwhile, clenching the iron railings. Then she registered Liam, 'You?!' She growled, her eyes widening in rage.

'My name actually, is not You.' Liam enlightened her.

For the moment that Aunt Sabel's and Liam's eyes met - Alexandra was the stranger. The trespasser. Somebody who didn't have any idea of their past. The realization strangely dismayed her. No - she had to know that tale. So what if it was only a memory. So what if it would not affect her at all. So what?

'You vile piece of muck - spawn of vice! You dare talk to ME?! Your mother - the biggest witch of them all - you don't deserve to wipe my shoes!' Aunt Sabel spat, 'A mistake is all that you are!'

Alexandra wondered if she was speaking to her... but Aunt Sabel didn't have anything particularly against Queen Ava...

With a jolt she realized that the Aunt was talking to Liam. Apparently, while Sabel hated Alexandra - she didn't detest her anywhere as much as Liam.

Liam tilted his head, 'I do have plenty of things to say,' he informed, 'but since you already have a lot of bad days ahead - maybe I should have a bit of pity.' And he smiled - refusing to stop gazing at Aunt Sabel, who blazed with rage and seemed to be at her wits' end. Perhaps she couldn't disagree with the "bad days ahead" part.

Fannel did his part. They got into the cell: now it became clear why he had pocketed Alexandra's chains. He pulled them out and tossed them to her, 'There, Sister. You must do the honors.' Alexandra couldn't agree more - as she chained up Aunt Sabel's hands and chest.

'You cannot do that! I a-' Sabel began, but Fannel tore out a bit of his cloak and tied it around her mouth, gagging her shut.

'How about blindfolding her too?' Alexandra suggested, pulling at the chains one final time to make sure that it was secure.

'Good idea.' Liam agreed.

So they blindfolded her as well, 'Now - we better hurry.' Liam advised. They gave the Aunt a push and together, moved out of the cell.

* * *

Even the dim glow of the distant lamps, felt hard on Alexandra's eyes after the dungeons. The Ann's Doom felt no happier than the Dungeons below.

'Which way?' She cried.

'We take the right wall. Just walk along it. We'll come out.' Fannel divulged - so they scooted towards the right end of the corridor.

'Mmmm - mm - mmmm!' Aunt Sabel resisted, all the while.

'Shut up or I'll drag you by the hair.' Alexandra warned, after they had silently tolerated her futile efforts for ten minutes. And Aunt Sabel did stop making noise and opposing.

After a while more of being accompanied by nothing other their own footfalls, they turned around a corner. As soon as they did, Alexandra bumped into something hard. 'Ouch!' She winced, her hand reaching her already injured forehead.

Her eyes travelled up, as beside her, both the men froze.

A group of about hundred, armed and armored men stood ahead of them. Alexandra cursed: at their head, stood the very same pale-blue eyed man who'd earlier tried to woo her. His eyes were on Aunt Sabel, but soon - they fell on Alexandra and he raised his eyebrows - an amused expression with tinkling lust. Finally, he saw Liam who seemed to have registered the intentions of the man.

Mr. Cleft Chin took one step forward. Gesturing his guards to stay behind. Alexandra would have launched herself at this man - so what if weaponless. But Liam held out a hand in front of her in a let me deal with this one gesture.

'So you are her fiancé.' Mr. Cleft Chin noted, speaking to Liam in his husky voice, trying to lace it with disdain but failing miserably, 'Fine then. I think I'll have to deal with you before having her.' He shrugged - like dealing with people was what he did for a hobby - and grabbed Liam's collar in one clean swipe.

Aunt Sabel seemed to have realized what was going on - because she was silent as a mouse and hearing expectantly.

'That's one point to you, Sir - you will have to deal with me.' Liam agreed - his voice slightly vindictive, as the other hundred, armored men waited behind respectfully - letting their leader sort out his brawl.

Liam closed his left hand on Mr. Cleft Chin's wrist and pulled it away from his collar, letting it drop by him. He then smiled charmingly; raised his hand and held Mr. Cleft Chin's jaw between his fingers- their eyes locked, 'Unfortunately,' he continued, 'you will discover this deal to be impossible.' And Liam simply turned his hand around - still holding the jaw - but with so much force, that the face rotated a complete three sixty degree. Where the man's eyes and nose and mouth had been one second earlier - now it was just the silky, curly, white-blonde hair - the neck bone breaking completely.

Mr. Cleft Chin dropped dead.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 278 41
This is a mafia story , which is not lovey dovey . If you still wanna read this carry on . ( Please don't judge the book just by reading first 2 or...
57 0 15
Alex was a good kid in school the only thing that made her different from everyone else were her bright blue hearing aids that had silver and gold gl...
463 23 15
Lindsay is a high school girl. Her and her best friend, Lizzie, are very close. They've known each other since they were little. When Lindsay's paren...
1K 55 35
Elena Marie Owens, a cool, Independent 15 year old. A very well known person around New York due to her talents in the Arts and Crafts, and one of he...