The Exiled Gem

By Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... More

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

The Worst Reunion

166 18 1
By Maplebell

Seeing Aunt Sabel, framed in the doorway of the stone corridor- after thirteen years- Alexandra had never thought how she was going to feel. She got up hurriedly, not wanting to remain crouching at the woman's feet.

One thing was certain- she did not feel happy.

The same slit-small eyes, the crooked nose, the thin- very thin lips. And not only the lips- the Aunt looked almost like a skin covered skeleton. Her eyes were sunken- her cheek bones and jaw was protruding out from the face. The eyes- Alexandra had always been scared of them... but now- now they had a completely mad glint. A completely uncovered mad glint.

'Welcome niece.' Sabel rasped, grinning- to expose a length of crowded, pushed-over-each-other, stained teeth, 'Welcome to Ann's Doom! Which implies- your doom too!' With that, Sabel closed her bare hand upon the blade of Moira- and yanked it out of Alexandra's grip.

Alexandra hated herself for trembling, upon hearing the Aunt's voice. Hated herself for not being able to mask her emotions- once again. But fear is too powerful a feeling to be hidden. It blocks all abilities, powers, strengths. It drains everything- leaving only the worst with a person.

That was exactly was happened. Alexandra had thought the Aunt would be hunch-backed, old, incompetent- toothless. Had she known there would no change- not in Aunt Sabel, nor in her own fears- she would have listened to her intuition and stayed back at Idgard.

'Scared? Already?' Aunt asked, closing a hand upon Alexandra's hair- there was no way to feel in the hair, but Alexandra felt fear and dread ripple through her. She wanted to simply give up- anything she could survive... but not getting caught by Aunt Sabel. 

'I knew you would come. I knew!' Sabel boasted, giving Alexandra's hair a painful jerk and dragging her by it- away from the stone corridor. 'You think Nicholas is alive- you think he never died- bah!' She grunted, walking at a fast pace- leaving Alexandra to walk behind- holding her hair, that was almost being torn apart.

Not the first time she'd been dragged by the hair. But the feeling- the intense dread- the horrible hopelessness she felt... there was no match. All Alexandra could do was hold her scalp, wince and flinch- either walk, or drop to the knees and get dragged. Dropping to knees was something she was NOT doing. Not at all.

'Of course he didn't die! Of course he is still here! Your Dovish medics made the mistake. Your Dovish medics failed to catch his heartbeat! You think a mother can fail?!' The fact- that acceptance from Sabel's own mouth- it felt like Alexandra was being buried under a pile of rubble, 'and of course he knows I am tricking you. That I am having a good, cozy catch-up with you tonight! And guess what Nicholas has sent? He's asked me to avenge him by giving you a slap and punch. It will be fun, won't it?!' Aunt cackled. Alexandra felt herself recoiling- the fact that Nicholas too had turned out like his mother... completely like her. She had always known that he was alive- in some corner of her heart. Alexandra's mission had been to find him out- the mission that had almost failed now... And what did Nicholas talk of, to his mother? Avenge him?! Vengeance for what? He'd said plenty of bad things to Alexandra- and she'd responded! Still, he wanted to be avenged. It was rather invigorating to find out that the only person who knew of Alexandra's capture- was Nicholas. Somebody from whom she couldn't expect ANYTHING.

Of course he didn't die! You think a mother can fail?

'Of course you failed!' Alexandra jeered- with all the strength she had- if there would be no help, at least she wasn't going down quietly, 'of course a mother like you failed! I KNOW!' She yelled, wincing as her head stung, 'I KNOW you never wanted this marriage! I know you swore vengeance on Doveland for it! A mother- and you?! You just used your son as a pawn for your dirty tricks! You used him as your shield!' Two things could be done- keeping quiet or talking on. Keeping quiet had never helped Alexandra. Talking on... had landed her in trouble as well as saved her from it. So obviously, that was what Alexandra was going to do.

'Your talks won't help you out this time, Alex-andra!' Sabel mocked, 'Oh- you could have stayed back,' she sang, 'with that vain son of Ethan. But how could you?! You are my niece! Want for revenge runs in your veins!'

'I am not anything like you- you ugly woman!' Alexandra snarled. Maybe it hit the Aunt too hard, the jibe about "ugly"... because she stopped pulling Alexandra and instead, held her neck from behind, pushing the niece headfirst towards the wall, slamming her forehead on the stone structure..

Stars danced in front of Alexandra's eyes. She could feel hot, burning pain on her forehead- still, for the first time, Alexandra was not being dragged- she was free to use her hands for something other than trying to soothe her stinging, paining scalp. She registered a window right above Sabel.

Aunt Sabel had a bigger, fuller plan. Aunt Sabel had plotted on this from years. Aunt Sabel had all the advantage. And Alexandra's one strength wouldn't help her here...

Your talks won't get you out of this!

There was no way she could find out of all this. Alexandra had no choice. This was the last thing she would have even considered doing... but now it was a do-or-die as well as a now-or-never situation.

Sabel took one step towards her- as she did, Alexandra whistled.

'What nonsens-' Sabel began, but even before she had completed those two words, a blur of blue-green-gray swooped inside, circling Alexandra's head urgently.

'I love you, Jade!' Alexandra almost wailed, holding out the paper- the "I am in trouble" letter. The pigeon tilted her head slightly, as if to say, I sort of hate you, but I can't watch you die either... Jade clasped the parchment in her beak and Aunt Sabel slashed Moira in the air at her, she missed the bird by a whole foot. Jade was just a speck in the sky- by the time Sabel regained her wits.

'You...' The Aunt hissed, grabbing Alexandra's neck in her iron grip- their eyes clashing. Alexandra recoiled, panting like she'd run miles, 'You- dare-'

'Yes I dare!' Alexandra barked back, bravely- though her legs were almost collapsing, and speaking while almost getting choked was never easy. 'I don't fear an ugly hag like you!' She purposefully used the word "ugly", if it infuriated Sabel- she would say it a thousand more times.

'If I'm ugly-' Sabel replied, through gritted teeth, 'who is responsible for that?!' She demanded, freeing Alexandra from her hold- who doubled over, retching- 'The father of your goody-good lover! That Ethan- who destroyed my life! I couldn't have my revenge on him. But I shall definitely have it on his son- and I will begin by destroying you- slowly, painfully Alexandra- so that the great Liam can feel. So that he can feel what it is like to be snatched away from somebody you loved- with no fault of yours!'

Either the world was spinning- or Alexandra's head was. She was just bleakly registering Sabel's words, which somehow made everything spin faster. Ethan. Destroyed my life. Revenge. On his son. Destroying you. Slowly. Painfully. Snatched away from love. No fault of yours.

All she could understand from it was that- somehow Liam's Crook father had destroyed her Aunt Sabel's life. That Liam's and her own life had entangled even before they had been born.

But how?

For that- Alexandra had no answer. All she knew, Aunt Sabel was now thirsty for revenge- and it would begin with her slow, painful death.

Alexandra was not at all excited for the slow, painful death.

They passed corridors upon corridors- ran down staircases. Alexandra's scalp was numb from the pain of constant pulling. She couldn't get her pocket knife out- not right now, when Moira was with Sabel. And she was pretty sure that Aunt knew how to use a dagger.

Keep talking. Keep her in a good mood!

'Right...' Alexandra muttered, now getting half dragged. She wanted to kick the Aunt- but that would be counterproductive- because Sabel would surely survive it, and though hurt, she would be even more furious. The best thing, really, was to keep her talking- 'Why do you hate me? What have I ever done to you?!' Alexandra implored- the first thing that came to her mind. They were, now, in... what appeared to be... the dungeons of the Palace. Alexandra shuddered involuntarily. One thing she had always hated- were the dungeons- cold, dark and depressing. Once you spent even a minute in one of these cells- you became a social outcast- somebody who nobody wanted to relate with. As good as death- because it was a lifelong without any honor, voice, love. No- dungeons was something she was NOT making peace with.

Sabel pushed open the nearest empty cell- and stuffed Alexandra through the low entrance, pushing her inside. Caught unaware, Alexandra fell face-first on the cold, damp, stone floor- again hitting her head; this time- rather hard.

She got up- only to see a skeletal aunt, with a dangerous dagger- towering over her, her eyes glinting with cold hatred. Hatred colder than the floor on which Alexandra had collapsed.

'Because you remind of somebody very special, dear.' Aunt Sabel hissed in answer, stopping to push her face against Alexandra's- their noses almost touching. Alexandra could see her terrified face reflected in the Aunt's eyes, 'and that special person- is the reason- the sole reason for ALL this mess! Had I never employed her- gah! That third class woman! You are everything like her, my dear Alexandra- a bit too much for my liking.'

Alexandra had no idea who Sabel was talking about. But she knew as much- the previous lady had done a lot of harm to the Aunt- the revenge of which, Sabel would take out on... her.

Aunt Sabel moved away from Alexandra's face, she pulled her up- gruffly, 'why sitting on the ground, Cassandra?!' She sang, 'where is my hospitality? Sit here!' And she dropped Alexandra on an iron chair- tying up her arms and legs.

What had Aunt Sabel just called her? Cassandra? Who was Cassandra, now?!

'Who's Ca-' Alexandra began as Aunt Sabel finished tying her securely to the chair- with cold iron chains that dug into her skin and pushed against her muscles- painfully. As soon as she was done, the Aunt smacked Alexandra across the face- not even registering the question.

'That was for Nicholas! And this-' Sabel added, balling her fist and slamming it on Alexandra's nose- the pain was tingly, hot and near-unbearable, 'there! And now that I have avenged my son, I can happily go on with my vengeance.' She announced, viciously, raising Moira and staring at the blade with a gleam in her eye.

She brought it almost to Alexandra's face, stopping it right above her nose, the flat edge towards her, 'Let me see...' The Aunt said, leisurely, 'what if I slash this knife... across your face? Awful scarring, Alexandra dear. Awful scarring! Even after the pain is long gone- every time you look into the mirror- you shall remember it- even if you escape today, somehow.'

Alexandra felt hopeless with that sentence. Even if you escape. So Aunt was not bothered what happened- if she escaped or whatever- all she cared about was ruining Alexandra. As badly as possible.

But that was no reason to compromise with fate. Alexandra gritted her teeth, 'I DON'T care!' She scorned, 'I never cared what I looked like! I hadn't looked into a mirror for TEN years! I won't- even in the future! You can't torture me with that.'

'Oh but I can.' Aunt Sabel assured, 'you might not care, dear niece, but will Liam love you still with that spoilt face?! You are not the only spy in the world! I know a lot about you,' she stopped for a mad snicker, 'was he interested in you when you were the old, odd, not-so-pretty Alexandra? He dropped you off to a Shelter! And suddenly, BOOM! Ravishingly beautiful, elegant, blooming Alexandra- and he's all in for you! "BE MY QUEEN!" he says,' Aunt Sabel stopped for a second, heaving, looking at Alexandra expectantly- for the effect her words were having. 'All men are the same!' She spat- noticing Alexandra's confused eyes- and spotting her opportunity, 'all they care about- is the kind of face you have! Hah- and then, we cannot actually blame Liam, can we? He has inherited the loose character! A roving eye runs in his vei-'

'Stop piling your rubbish views on me!' Alexandra interrupted- she might have believed Aunt a very tiny bit. Sabel might have succeeded in installing some doubt into her mind- had she not said the one sentence:

All men are the same.

No. Wrong. Alexandra knew enough men to say that it was utterly wrong- it was like saying that all Aunts are bad, just because Alexandra had a... beyond bad aunt. That one generalization. That one inclusion, brought Alexandra to her senses. 'Use that knife if you can! Let me see what you can do- or you can only talk!' She taunted, now that everything was bleak- there was no reason to find a spot of hope in all this mess. Sometimes, poison nullified poison. Sometimes, iron cut iron.

Sometimes, more chaos conquered chaos.

It was, however, still scary- as Aunt Sabel snapped with fury and raised Moira above Alexandra's head, just about to bring it down and start the session of torture.

Alexandra shut her eyes. Waiting for the thin slice of Moira- so quick that it was not possible to feel it instantly- and then, the burning, stinging pain. The moment where eyes watered and everything seemed black with pain.

It didn't come.

Instead, Aunt Sabel's distracted, gleeful voice did- 'The ring!' She exclaimed, dropping her hand. Alexandra opened her eyes- only to find Aunt Sabel staring at her right hand.

The Emerald Ring.

In one, single movement, Aunt Sabel thrust a hand forward and pulled the ring clean off Alexandra's finger- so roughly- it made Alexandra flinch. Unconcerned, Sabel turned the little piece of jewel in her hand, watching it interestingly, 'You realize, niece- that this is my ring?'

Alexandra didn't reply- she just gulped, and watched the Aunt's incomprehensible face. Now, what was this with the ring?

'You realize that it belonged to me, originally?! And now- after that woman- you?! To you?!' She stuttered, seeming so furious that she wasn't even able to string sentences together, 'No!' Aunt Sabel declared. 'You shall NOT wear this! If I cannot- if I could not- nobody will!' And with that, she dropped it to the ground and raised her foot above it- as if to crush it.

Alexandra realized what she was going to do- with only a moment to spare, she cried out, in a desperate voice,  'No! No- don't do that!'

'No?' Aunt Sabel asked, a malicious edge to her voice - the foot soaring in air threateningly above the ring, 'Why not, my niece? You don't care about jewels- do you? Like you don't care about your looks? Or do... the rules, somehow, change... when it comes to Liam?'

'Please!' Alexandra almost sobbed- both with helplessness and realization. Realization: of how powerful love was. That it was so powerful- it could make a person like her, a person like Alexandra- beg. 'Please don't break it- anything else- do anything, but don't break it, Aunt!'

'A few hours ago,' Aunt Sabel noted, 'I was an ugly woman- back to Aunt now, are we, Alexandra?! That's how you teach,' she added, holding Alexandra's jaw between her fingers with a menacing look on the face, 'unruly children to respect you!' She stopped to throw her head back and laugh.

'Unfortunately, I also have to teach you how you will have NO mercy from me!' She clucked, and brought her sandal down on the ring- trampling it into a hundred pieces. 'I had no mercy! Not from anybody!'

As the ring was broken, Alexandra almost felt her heart shattering.

'Wipe the tears, my child,' Sabel cooed, 'come on, come on- you can't afford to sob so early on! Save the tears! You have a lot worse to come... ah- I see! Another piece of jewel. You seem to wear none without special reason, do you? This one- interestingly... is a lily pendant! Nice choice!'

'DON'T YOU DARE TOUCH THAT!' Alexandra shouted across the length of the prison. As Aunt Sabel extended her hand to grab it, Alexandra opened her mouth wide and bit into the skeletal hand- with wild abandon, mercilessly- almost as if she had to tear the hand apart.

The Aunt shrieked in agony and dropped Moira. She danced on the spot, holding her hand and cursing the pain. Alexandra steeled herself for whatever retribution was going to come her way for that bite.

Retribution didn't come. Another voice did-

'Very good, Cousin. And now, we can together bring Queen-Mother Sabel to her senses.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 150 11
A "Beauty and the Beast" retelling. Once upon a time, there was a boy in love with a Lilly. Not a flower, but a girl. It all started one beautiful a...
12.8K 366 39
This is my take on a few cliches in the romance-fantasy world, but fear not! I've added quite a few sick twists and turns ;) - - - - - - - He's roya...
57 0 15
Alex was a good kid in school the only thing that made her different from everyone else were her bright blue hearing aids that had silver and gold gl...
248 58 13
There was a major war that happened and now the government is trying a new experiment on the city. The main character, Alex, and her best friends who...