The Exiled Gem

By Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... More

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

Never Tempt Fate

176 20 2
By Maplebell

This could NOT be right. No way- Alexandra was doing something wrong.

For the sixth time, she was back in front of the same portrait of a woman with a kid on her lap- Alexandra suspected the same portraits had been put up at every turn- to confuse people in the Ann's Doom. So, she had pulled out her quill and drawn a bracelet for the lady- so realistic that it was easy to miss against her black dress. And- it WAS the same portrait, anyhow, so Alexandra was now sure that she WAS going in circles.

Even with the dread that settled over her on that realization, Alexandra funnily remembered Diana's reaction on finding out of her engagement. She had tilted her head to the left with a look of mingled disbelief and awe. 'Rather you than me, Mabel- I swear!' Diana had proclaimed.

Alexandra grinned- but it was soon wiped off her face with worry- this was NO time to think about Diana. She'd come here... to the Ann's Doom- in the morning of that day- morning for Alexandra meant at two o' clock. And now... by the looks of the lighting in the Palace... it was definitely four or five in the evening.

'Who is this blasted place's designer?! Moira- you need to slash his neck.' Alexandra fumed, staring at the large portrait. 'And don't you stare at me, woman.' She warned the lady in the portrait. 

Alexandra was feeling crazy: first she'd, on entering the Palace, found herself in a large, spacious chamber that felt- uncomfortably like a bathroom. Cream colored walls and light pink floors- with curtained off bath-tubs. Alexandra had heard footsteps nearing her from the left. In a state of utter panic, she'd pushed the nearest curtain away- exposing a water-filled, gigantically deep tub of water- the royals really seemed to valued their baths. Without a second thought, she had threw off her boots and stepped into the lukewarm water- it submerged her till her waist- and she had then drawn the curtain back, cursing her wet dress.

She'd seen a pair of feet, fashionable soles and a pale, pretty shin. Alexandra had had half a mind to throw her dagger on it- since her pocket knife was still in the boot- but she calmed herself down. Finally, after an excruciating wait of ten minutes, she had been able to step out- dripping and in one of her worst moods. She had wrenched and twisted her cream colored clothes in the tub- to drain the water. But later on- the revolting smell of the cherry-scented bath had stuck to it. Every time Alexandra had breathed in, she had wrinkled her nose and tried to keep her face away from it- because she had realized, that she was cherry-intolerant- the smell made her head spin and cold saliva fill in her mouth- the sensation she had always had before throwing up.

Then, with the smell incapacitating her, Alexandra had had three or four near escapes from guards-in-duty and Royal Attendants.

Finally- the biggest scandal had occurred- which was the main reason for Alexandra's bad mood.

One particular man- he had looked like some important person, with numerous medals pinned to his chest, and a big sword strapped to his belt- a curly crop of white-blonde hair and pale, wintry blue eyes. A chiseled jaw ending in a cleft chin.

Cleft chin...hmm...This means a roving eye! The Dovish face-reader's voice had ringed in Alexandra's ear.

All her instincts had been yelling, Run! But she couldn't- because it would raise a mighty suspicion. And then she hadn't even been sure where she would run to- in this maze. The man here- could know all the routes- which meant she'd just land herself into more trouble by running.

So Alexandra had simply stood there- eyeing the person with a calculative look. Surprisingly though- he'd smirked: a familiar smirk... with a jolt, she had realized that this was Liam's sparingly used I'm the best you can find smirk.

It looked downright ugly on this man.

'Palace Attendant?' He had asked, in a husky whisper. Alexandra stared on for a second, wondering what to do- 'no,' he declared, himself, 'cannot be an Attendant- you look too fierce for that.'

'Er- right,' Alexandra had replied, her mind working furiously, 'but I am a Palace - Attendant.' She had lied. Anything to get away: her hand had almost reached Moira- that was hidden between the folds of her dress rather than the usual strap- but not everything could be solved with a knife and some bloodshed.

'Mhm,' he had agreed, 'but you are rather beautiful for an attendant.' he had added- like that should explain a lot of things. Alexandra, meanwhile, had been trying very hard to keep her feet rooted and her hands away from Moira. Her brain had been working over-time- scanning all the information in her head to find a suitable excuse- no luck yet.

'Okay,' she had noted, 'so?'

Mistake. Big, colossal mistake. Maybe, if she'd acted stupid and flattered, the man would've lost interest. The boldness was a huge mistake on her part; and Alexandra had realized it as soon as the words had escaped her mouth- because now, she had interested Mr. Cleft Chin, a lot more.

'You don't have to be an Attendant all your life. I can shower you with gifts and wealth. Everything you can ask for, I can give you.' He had offered, 'if only you make me happy-'

'N-No,' Alexandra had interrupted, her feet going cold from the uncovered greedy desire in Mr. Cleft Chin's eyes, 'I'm engaged- you just- stay away.' She had managed- yes, that time would have been a good situation to use Moira- but in case the man overpowered her... no, it was best to give him the idea that she was a hapless woman. Alexandra had turned away, like she had places to go to- walking only a few steps when Mr. Cleft Chin called out, from behind-

'You only need to throw that ring away, Lovely. Hah, one day, you will. And we'll have time for cozy talking then, surely!' But he'd let her go- like he was certain that she was the fly stuck in his web that couldn't escape. That if not today, tomorrow he would certainly devour her.

What sort of people could she expect to find here, with Aunt Sabel in charge?

Following which, Alexandra- forgetting all about the revolting Cherry scent, had taken turns without considering the options, fuming. Until just an hour ago, she'd realized that she was walking in circles, coming upon the same portrait again and again- even the rest of the corridor seeming dreadfully familiar.

Jade was flying somewhere around. Alexandra had a letter- written and ready, kept in an inside pocket. A last minute idea of caution by Fannel. In case there was any trouble, she'd just have to whistle, preferably near a window. Jade would swoop in, take the letter- which was nothing but a four word document of "I am in trouble"- and deliver it to the Council. There were gaps visible to Alexandra in the plan- for instance, how would they know where exactly she was?! But Fannel had assured her that he knew what he was doing- which hadn't satisfied Alexandra, because he didn't know that the Ann's Doom was a maze.

Now, her situation seemed infuriatingly stupid to her. She just needed a clue to Nicholas, who she definitely knew was somewhere here- unless it was his ghost haunting those corridors. She had a definite suspicion that he was close by...

Alexandra's eyes travelled back to the lady's portrait- the smug, unreal smile painted upon her face- the hands made extremely plump and yet the collar bone being visible. It all slightly scared Alexandra- especially the imperfect, glassy eyes gazing at her. Everything here seemed to hate her. The very walls, the stone floor, the rosy, red tint of lamps- and the subjects of the portraits. Like all of that knew that Aunt Sabel hated her...

'I said, stop staring at ME!' She finally shrieked at the lady in the portrait- losing her calm- something that always happened upon remembering her Aunt. Without meaning to- she pulled out Moira and stabbed the lady right in face- the same, impulsive, inexplicable thing she'd done with Nicholas. The paint was extremely soft- with the amount of force used, Moira dug rather deep into it.

That was when Alexandra realized what a foolish thing she'd done- as usual, after the deed was done and there was no going back.

'I am a fool. I am a fool. I am a fool- write that ten thousand times, Alexandra.' She muttered to herself, slamming a hand to her head. Then, accepting defeat, she looked up- surveying the harm done. The portrait was definitely ruined. She had also left back ample evidence for anybody who crossed this place. And she'd got her weapon stuck up a non-existent lady's nose.

At least, Alexandra would have to detach the blade. She cursed her stupidity once more and closed her fist upon Moira's hilt.

Alexandra pulled.

Moira didn't even move an inch. The Dagger should have- given the sharp edge, it should have simply sliced through the paper and separated.

Alexandra pulled again, harder. Still no use. She yanked at it with all her force. She put a foot against the wall and pulled with both hands.

'Myyhh!' Alexandra bleated, abandoning all attempt as Moira still remained unmoved and stinging pain flashed across her hands. 'What sort of devilish trick is this now?!' Then she looked right and left- for any more approaching trouble.

Thankfully, none.

Alexandra stared at Moira for a second, 'you're my dagger,' she reminded, 'and I should own you.' For what she mentally knew was the last time- Alexandra gave the dagger a herculean pull. Shutting her eyes and arms shaking from the effort, even her teeth gnashing against each other in a disturbing manner.

Something came free.

But that thing... was much, much heavier than what Alexandra remembered Moira to be. As it loosened into her hands, Alexandra skidded backward- almost collapsing under the added weight.

Moira hadn't come free. Moira was still stuck to the large, framed portrait.

The whole portrait had come out.

After the initial shock had registered, Alexandra redeemed her motto of "first things first"- she pushed the portrait, that was half her height, onto the ground- and yanked Moira out of it. The blade had embedded into the wood at the back- the reason it wasn't easy to pull out. After perhaps five minutes of struggle, Alexandra succeeded in getting Moira free.

Which gave her the opportunity to worry about the wall beyond the portrait- and how she would fix back up on the wall

Surprise! Mind sang, as Alexandra's eyes fell on the wall. Except, there was no wall- where there should have been a continuation of the stone barrier, there was only a gap- a hollow opening.

Alexandra would have to be a fool to not know that it lead somewhere. And not just anywhere- somewhere which housed the most needed-to-be-hidden part of the Palace.

'Nicholas...' Alexandra sang, 'here I come.'

* * *

Never count your chicks before they hatch: Alexandra's lesson for the day- and if she survived- for her whole life.

She had, needless to say, entered the secret passage-behind-the-portrait, lifted the portrait up, flattened the smiling lady's ruined face a bit, and mounted it on the entrance of the passage after entering- which blocked all light. A dark extent of Nothing expanded ahead of her. In fact, she didn't even know if, on the next step she took, she would land on solid ground or not. But somehow, Alexandra kept going. Her arms outstretched to feel the walls around her, which she was able to do- thankfully.

The passage had no sign of being forsaken- the path wasn't smelly- cobwebbed- or inhabited by other pests. Moreover, it was startlingly clean, and straight forward. Alexandra had only Moira as a light source- but it somehow sufficed in the narrow path. Moira, Alexandra had to agree, somehow always sufficed.

She had a dull feeling that something was still wrong. That she was doing something wrong. But whenever curiosity and intuition clashed within her- Alexandra chose to satiate her burning curiosity, rather than listening to her intuition.

One of the reasons, she so often fell into trouble.

Nevertheless, Alexandra also liked the thin, slim prospect that beyond this narrow passage, could be a person she had supposedly killed. And that he'd be alive. Breathing- blinking- living. As much as her, or anybody else.

However, at the end of the passage- Alexandra's hopes almost flattened out. After walking for eight minutes, she'd become used to simply walking on and on- without noting changes. She had been thinking how it was possible to build such a shortcut in the stone wall. How much of efforts that would have taken- because it had to be big enough for a human to walk- but the entrance had to be only enough for a dog-sized individual.

Don't complicate it! It is just another normal corridor. Only, the entrance has been blocked by the portrait. Like your brain had been blocked ever since you were born.

Alexandra always wondered why she was so stupid when her Mind was actually so sharp...

Because you don't listen to me, Foolish!

And as soon as her Mind had thrown that bit of enlightenment at her- Alexandra collided with the wood in front.

'Uff!' Alexandra grunted, massaging her head- 'What is this now?!' She demanded, flashing Moira ahead of herself.

A wooden door with a metal handle. Simple- but sturdy. And most certainly: locked.

Alexandra knelt down by the handle- disappointment layering up within her- there was no lock or hole. Nothing to aid her in finding out what was beyond the door. Which was what Alexandra completely hated: no way of finding information. After the mounting excitement, the curiosity, even the "going to fall in trouble" feeling- after all that, a locked door was simply too bad an ending.

Her fate seemed to be watching from above, a hand to its chin. Alright, it must have said at that point, that's a bad ending, is it? Have some fun, then- sending fresh trouble- specially for you! Enjoy! Because at exactly that moment- as if on cue- the wooden door jerked open.

From the other end- without any efforts from Alexandra.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

366K 2.9K 35
{{Believe in the unimaginable when it comes to love.}} Jane was just an ordinary girl when one day everything came crushing down her life. She lost h...
5K 278 41
This is a mafia story , which is not lovey dovey . If you still wanna read this carry on . ( Please don't judge the book just by reading first 2 or...
4.1K 23 57
Previously titled Could've Been Warning**this does contain some strong language and mild sexual content** 17 year old Kelsie Cole was your classic g...
35.6K 413 13
Used to be I want my brother's beta.. good thing hes too busy with his mate to notice (redone a little bit check it out) Katie is an alpha's daughter...