The Woman in Uniform

By bboydgryffindor

"What are strong men like yourselves doing?" A voice sounded through the dark alley. A woman appeared. Her vo... More

Extended Summary
Playlist
Prologue
That's My Idiot Brother
The Cyclone
Half Birthdays
Amends
The Offer
The First Mission
Hydra?
Pain.
Sunday
Damn You, Stark
December 7, 1941
Drafted
Captain America: First Avenger
Their Return
The Future
The Departure
Girl Talks . . . And Howard
Super Soldier Chorus Girl
Into the Trenches
The Prison Break
Charles and The Question
The Pub
Howling Comandos Around a Table
Spy Discussions
The Prisoner
Knife Flips
The Midnight Fox
Marlene Hits People With Sticks
Date Night . . . and Morning
Bugs On a Windshield
Arnim Zola
Broken Promises
Agent Carter Series
The Call to Action
Peggy's Chance
The Reunion
The Little Girl Soldier
Her Arrival
The Stark Special
Morse Code
The Metal Sphere
Convincing the Stubborn
Stark's Rogue Inventions
Stark's Grand Plan
The Final Showdown
The Winter Soldier
Post Credit Scene
Author's Note

Epilogue

1.7K 82 34
By bboydgryffindor

《《 ☆ 》》

《《 ☆ 》》

Jack Thompson sat in his office at the SSR when he got a phone call that quite literally changed his life. As he set the phone done, ending the call, he finally reacted. 

With one fluid and violent motion, everything that was previously on his desk found itself on the floor. 

The fellow SSR agents looked up in shock. Curiosity decorated their faces. 

Thompson sat at his empty desk for a few moments, allowing a few stray tears to fall from his face. He hadn't known her long, but she was certainly special. 

Finally collecting himself, Thompson made his way to his agents. When he entered they all grew silent. Thompson's grey eyes sought out a certain pair of dark brown. 

"As of midnight last night, Agent Marlene S. Rogers is declared missing in action."

Peggy clasped her hand over her mouth before rushing from the room. She felt like the walls were closing in like she was suffocating. 

That day, Peggy Carter hadn't bothered returning to work. She didn't bother with anything, truly. She didn't bother with manners. She simply went where she wished. 

And that was to see the one person that would understand her pain. 

Howard Stark. 

At first, Howard believed it was some sick joke. However, he knew Peggy wasn't the type to do such a thing. 

It was the first time Peggy had seen Howard express any emotion other than arrogance. That day, he expressed anger, guilt, self-loathing, and grief. 

The news of Marlene Roger's death not only shocked the entire country but the world. While Steve Rogers was a symbol of freedom, Marlene Rogers is the symbol of equality. 

Parades were held in honor of the late Marlene Rogers. Monuments were built. Documentaries were made. War stories were told. Articles were written. 

Come time for her funeral, only a select few were present. 

"She was out Fox," Pinkerton had sniffled. "The one that kept us in line. The one that did what needed to be done."

"She deserved to live," Sousa said. He wasn't entirely sure why he was invited. While he and Marlene were friendly towards each other, they weren't exactly friends. They never got the chance to be. "She deserved to continue to inspire."

"I remember the day she saved us from Hydra is '43," Jim Mortia stated, his eyes red. He had flown halfway across the world to be there. He had spent most of his flight crying. "I thought she was going to die because all she had was a metal pipe. But she didn't. She won. She saved so many lives, mine included."

"Marlene Rogers will forever be in my mind as the strongest woman I've ever known," Dum Dum Dugan declared, taking a swing of his flask. "She'll be remembered as someone who never let me down, even when she wasn't doing well."

"Marlene Rogers was a shock to me," Jack Thompson admitted. No one missed how puffy his eyes were, but they said nothing. "I'm not entirely sure what I thought she'd be like when I first heard about the woman who fought back to back with Captain America, but it certainly wasn't what she was. It definitely wasn't with as high of regard as I hold now."

"She had an odd hatred for me opening the doors for her," Mr. Jarvis said softly, looking down at the headstone that was void of a body. "She was an impressive woman. She had a fiery spirit. She had a flame insider her that would never settle. She had the spirit of a hero."

The next to speak was Ana, Mr. Jarvis's wife. She and Marlene were rather close friends. They often bonded over tea, speaking about anything that came to mind. Marlene would often listen as Ana told her religious tales, and about Judaism. It was something Marlene always enjoyed, learning about the different religions and customs around the world.  

"Miss Rogers suffered a lot in her life," Ana said in a kind tone. She was one of those people that simply radiated kindness. "There's no easy way to say that. In my religion, it is said the righteous suffer in this world so their reward will be much greater in the next. I believe with my entire soul that Marlene Rogers is happy, perhaps even peaceful."

"Marlene Sarah Rogers is, and will always be my best friend," Peggy said calmly as a few tears rolled down her cheeks. "She had her flaws, as did all humans, but she was the perfect person to have by your side. She was brave, loyal, resilient, cunning, and determined. She wasn't the type to leave someone behind. She was the type to drag you back from your darkest corners and into the light. She was the type to fake a smile so you were happy. She was the type to bring a smile to your face. She was the type to bring a hair ribbon to a gunfight and win. She was the type of person to give her life for a better world. She was the type of person that made me remember who I am. She was the type of person that made me realize that I didn't only have a brother, but also a sister. She was either an angel or a demon, depending upon who you asked. She was my best friend, my sister." 

"When I first met her, she told me my equation was wrong," Howard began. He was most definitely worse for wear. He had large bags under his eyes, and his hair sprouted in every direction. "I wasn't blind to her outer beauty. As the time grew, I came accustomed to her inner beauty. She was my partner, my best friend. No matter what Peg says, I was most definitely her best friend."

Howard tried to smile, but it quickly fell. 

"She was the first woman that got to know the real Howard Stark and not the facade that I project. She is someone I'll never forget, even if I wanted to."

When the group finally dispersed, it was only Peggy and Howard left. Neither bothered to hold back their sorrow. Tears fell freely down their faces. 

"I can't do this without her," Peggy whispered. "She was always, always there when I needed her. I needn't say a thing. She already knew what to do."

"Me either, Peg," Howard responded. "She's the closest thing I have to a family."

It was silent for a moment, both with stining eyes. 

"She'd call us a bunch of saps if she were here right now," Howard said, offering a faint chuckle. Yet, much like the one before, it died in his throat. 

"She totally would."

"We were meant to be married," Howard said suddenly, without removing his eyes from her headstone. 

Peggy's head snapped towards him so fast she almost gave herself whiplash. 

"It was a drunken joke before the war," Howard explained, twirling a purple iris in his hand. "If neither of us could find the love of our lives, we'd marry and adopt a few kids."

"That makes loads more sense," Peggy said. It was silent once more before she asked her next question. "What if both of you found the love of your lives . . . well, she did, but he died. I mean-"

"If we both found our person meant for us that was still alive?" 

Peggy nodded. 

"She'd be the Godmother of my children. All of them," Howard answered. "That wasn't a drunken joke. Sure it was made while we were tipsy, but I meant it with my entire heart."

Once again, silence overtook them. Howard leaned down, placing a single iris on her grave. 

"We're a man down now, Stark," Peggy sighed. 

"I know."

"I can't even imagine what it'll be like now."

"Me either."

Peggy withdrew a piece of paper and pen from her purse. 

Howard furrowed his brows in confusion, "What are you doing?"

"I'm writing to her."

"Why? It's not like she'll be able to read them," Howard said bitterly. 

"Closure, Howard. Closure."

From that day forward, both Howard and Peggy wrote her letters. When a day was particularly bad, or when it was a good day, or when something odd happened, or something monumental, they wrote about it. 

And against Howard Stark's previous statement, Marlene Rogers did read the letters. 

She read every single one. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.5K 1K 26
Bucky Barnes was always a pain in Betty's ass. Until he wasn't... Betty Rogers was glad that her brother had made a new friend, someone to look out f...
10K 251 24
"Love the life you live. Live the life you love." -Bob Marley When Yn Rogers and her brother, Steve Rogers, come out of the ice and are the first rec...
312K 7.7K 17
"Steve Rogers...that name sounds painfully familiar. He's pretty cute from the pictures I've seen. Too freaking bad I gotta kill him. And then track...
251K 7.4K 143
Y/N Rogers got the healthier genes compared to her twin brother, Steve. But they both got an equal amount of stupidness and stubbornness. Due to this...