A Court of Lies and Secrets |...

Von Faerietale_castle

An lgbt twist on the ACOTAR series. [GxG] Two females, both grown up in separate but equally hateful worlds... Mehr

Home
The Journey
Night Court
The Tour
Secrets
Confession
Heart-to-Heart
The Letter
Lies
The Truth is Out
Peregryn
Humans and Fae
Stupid Fucking Mating Bond
Velaris
Distraction
Montesere
Montesere Part 2
The Journal
'Til Death Parts Us
Inanimate Emotions
Human Protectors
Ginerva
Illusion
Trap
Hopeless
Iagan
Blood
Daemati
Cauldron's Child
Hybern
Dream
Home
Sleeping Beauty
Broken
Belowdeck
Auzedra Dragon
The True King and Queen
The Rest of Our Lives
The End?

Childish Games

34 2 1
Von Faerietale_castle

~Renae~

I've never told anybody about my parents- specifically my mother. Alirra is the only person I've told the most, and even that's barely a drop in the bucket. She's trapped- kidnapped- stuck with my mother and has no idea how powerful she is or what could possible happen.

I'm stuck staring at the endless flowing waters of the Sidra- the moonlight shining atop it. I've stood on this bandstand many a times and spend most of it thinking about the beauties of Velaris and how happy I would've been if I had grown up here and not in Montesere- not with Iagan and Ginerva. I'm lost in a different thought today, because for the first time in decades, my parents have returned into my life and stolen the female fate has destined me with. I rest my head against my folded arms and wonder whether any of this would've happened if I hadn't kissed a female all those decades ago, or if I had been sent a male for a mate instead- would they still hate me?

I try to pull myself together and gather my thoughts, my sanity, and think of any useful things like where could my own mother take my mate to? or How do I kill a monster that powerful? Things like this deserve long hours in a library- if I had time, I would. I constantly wander through the mental halls of our bond and feel for any indication that she's still there and even though Alirra doesn't reply, my instincts imply enough that she's fine.

I came out here- did the whole dramatic exit- hoping to figure out how to find her or where she even is, but leaning against this barrier, waiting for some answers to sail down the Sidra and land at my feet isn't working for me.

I almost give up and wander through the crowds of nocturnal fae until my High Lady appears at my side- staring out to her people across the bandstand barrier. She's dressed in fresh leathers and behind her stand the entire court including Lucien, Jurian and Vassa who are all dressed ready to fight another battle despite the darkening rings around their eyes.

I would cry if I thought Alirra didn't deserve this.

"We thought about it and if anybody kidnapped Rhysand I would beg each of you to help me save him." They each give agreeing nods and hug their mates tighter to them. My heart stings a little that my own arms are empty but I give them a couple bows of appreciation- trying extremely hard to be professional.

"So where do we start?" Jurian steps forward, empty handed unlike the surrounding fae- holding hands and snuggling their faces against each other. I'd throw up if I wasn't slightly envious.

~Alirra~

I soon learned that ignoring Ginerva's childish games and manipulative words sends her mad enough that she leaves me for a good five or more minutes. The most peaceful times so far. Not that this situation is ideal whatsoever, but if fate insists me to be in captive, they could've chosen a less... talkative kidnapper. I don't even mind when she speaks, it's the need to mess with my head and play games every second that gives me migraines.

Ginerva left a few moments ago and it won't be long until she returns and asks me where do you think you are? or when do you think you'll escape? and whatever my answer is, her reply is a menacing laugh that bounces between the four walls of the tight room.

If she intends to keep me chained to this room for the rest of my life, does she plan on winnowing in and out every five seconds because I think that alone will kill me off.

Being alone scares me. Really fucking scares me. The room is dark enough as it is but to be alone inside it forever is too frightening to think about- so I don't, or at least I try not to. It gets to a point where the walls become so suffocating I'm close to begging for Ginerva's company- only to regret thinking of doing such a thing when she appears from the shadows of the darkest corner.

Spending the rest of eternity alone scares me shitless and I know Ginerva has figured that out. I don't know how she knows but I won't let her know she's correct.

"Do you have any answers for me?" My forehead is dripping with sweat like my hands are clammy. She's been gone longer than usual and my fear is starting to show.

"I don't care where I am, Ginerva." I struggle to say the words without passing out from exhaustion. I would love nothing more than to collapse in a pile and drift to sleep, if only my anxieties about being trapped here forever weren't so insistent.

"You seem like you care to me." She taunts and circles around me, more than close enough for me to attack her. It seems like all I do is dream about reaching out and wrapping the chain around her delicate neck.

"Answer me a single question and I'll take a guess."

"That's not fair, there's a billion guesses you could make."

"And I have a billion questions."

"Then we're even." She smiles and I seriously believe she could be crazy- should be locked up for her psychotic thoughts alone.

"We aren't even until you answer my question," she bites her lip in thought and nods in agreement, "what do you need with me?"

"Long story, short-"

"I'd prefer the long story." I don't know whether I'm saying this out of fear of being left alone again or whether her long version might provide clues on how to escape. Both.

"Nice try. Short story: I need your powers." She sighs after the shortest and most useless response in history. What the hell does that even mean?

"Bullshit. Give me more than that."

"So you can use it against me? Use it to escape, to talk to your 'mate' through the bond?" My eyes snap shut- she knows I tried talking to her.

Her wicked smile widens as I realise what she's learned. Yet again I don't have a clue how she knows this. My confusion entertains her cruel soul.

"You think you can change fate? Make the Cauldron destroy the bond? Or perhaps something more simple like changing Renae's or my views on males and females?" Her smile doesn't widen, nor does it falter. Her exterior gives me nothing.

"Guess where you are?" I stare into her void irises that are exactly like Renae's and I don't turn away. Refusing to respond. Her answer was half-arsed so why should I bother giving her what she wants. She can leave, collapse into the shadows or winnow out into god knows where- I don't care. Once again I'm exhausted by her presence and want nothing more than the peaceful darkness.

She raises an eyebrow- expecting my response as promised. Leaning closer and closer. Taking more and more steps toward me. I won't cower or fall to my hands and knees before her and I won't let it show how much she and being alone frightens me.

"Very well." Her figure fades into the shadows until my eyes can make out the wall behind her- the empty space where she stood. The loneliness seeps into me immediately.

~Renae~

Travelling back to Montesere seems too obvious of a place for my mother to keep Ali captive but nobody can think of anywhere better to at least start our hunt.

Even if Ginerva and Alirra aren't in Montesere, I hope Iagan is preparing for a good old fashioned Night court interrogation. He can gather any soldiers and protectors he wants, force more illusions of mother before our eyes but I will get information from him and I will find Ali.

"What would they even need with Alirra?" Cassian mutters beside me, as close as our outstretched wings will allow. Rhys and Azriel in front and Feyre just below with her sisters.

Rhys thought it best to keep our numbers low and not include so many Illyrians. Not only are all the soldiers tired from the night-long battle, but higher numbers means more injuries and less stealth. Jurian, Vassa and Lucien wouldn't stay in Velaris and are being carried by the Illyrian males. Neither party happy about that arrangement.

"Hopefully, we'll find out soon." I try keeping words to a minimum, securing concentration and not risking emotional breakdowns that would only slow us all down. Let's face it, tears wouldn't be helpful.

"Trust me, we'll get everything we need from Iagan."

"If he's even there."

"I think he'll be waiting." we're probably flying straight into another trap but it's not like we have many options. Ginerva could be keeping Ali anywhere and the best place to start is her own home.

If Iagan is expecting us- if this is a trap- I pray we have enough numbers to at least survive long enough to find Alirra. Not succeeding in finding her means the worst will have to happen. To stop me from finding her they'll need to kill me ; I won't go down without a fight.

I'm pulled from my thoughts as the peaks of pine trees and Montesere towers form through the fog. The steep, jagged edges of the cliff it lays above appearing first. Everybody stops conversation, taking in the location as if we weren't here a few hours ago. Memories of the Illyrians and Montesere soldiers battling amongst the pine forest and Ginerva's mysterious shadows alluring them to their downfall. I let out a prayer that their armies are as tired as our own. That both sides are equally powerless. Knowing my parents, they have back-up plans for their back-up plans.

My feet collide with the mid-calf-high grass atop the cliff and another memory flashes behind my eyes. Alirra in my arms as we land in this exact spot- the mansion of Montesere towering behind the tallest pine peaks.

Renae.. I'm about to gather the court, to form a plan when a familiar voice tickles my mind. The words trailing through me and intertwining with my own thoughts- my own feelings. My heart skips a couple beats, then flutters and then aches.

"Alirra." I mumble as if losing all ability to speak down the bond.

Ali! I shout down the bond, searching frantically down its halls as if I could find her in my own mind. The bond is special, but not that powerful.

Don't forget to vote if you're enjoying it so far :D
Thanks for reading!

Weiterlesen

Das wird dir gefallen

130K 3.8K 53
A year has passed since Seren Marzena returned to the Night Court with her mate, Azriel. Their time of rest is coming to an end. Plans long kept sile...
71.4K 2.4K 46
⚠️TRIGGER WARNING⚠️ This story contains mentions of rape, abuse, blood & gore, foul language as well as sexual content. If any of these has the pote...
2.2K 389 14
In the whispered legends of Prythian, Devina was once a name that inspired ancient tales of a queen whom possessed great might and magic, but she had...
25K 1.4K 53
One year ago, Prythian suffered an attack at the hands of the necromancer, Melantha. She was ultimately defeated, but the marks of her terrible influ...