I Hate Football Players 3 | 1...

By still_just_me

If at first you don't succeed, then level the playing field and take a second chance. Two years ago, Ellie Ha... More

Upfront paperwork
Prologue: Ellie
Chapter 1: Ellie
Chapter 2: Ellie
Chapter 3: Ellie
Chapter 4: Logan
Chapter 5: Ellie
Chapter 6: Logan
Chapter 7: Ellie
Chapter 8: Logan
Chapter 9: Ellie
Chapter 10: Ellie
Chapter 11: Ellie
Chapter 12: Ellie
Chapter 13: Logan
Chapter 14: Ellie
Chapter 15: Logan
Chapter 16: Ellie
Chapter 17: Logan
Chapter 18: Ellie
Chapter 19: Logan
Chapter 20: Ellie
Chapter 21: Ellie
Chapter 22: Ellie
Chapter 23: Logan
Chapter 23: Ellie
Chapter 25: Ellie
Chapter 26: Logan
Chapter 27: Ellie
Chapter 28: Logan
Chapter 29: Ellie
Chapter 30: Logan
Chapter 31: Ellie
Chapter 32: Logan
Chapter 33: Ellie
Chapter 34: Logan
Chapter 35: Logan
Chapter 36: Ellie
Chapter 37: Ellie
Chapter 38: Ellie
Chapter 39: Logan
Chapter 40: Logan
Chapter 41: Logan
Chapter 42: Ellie
Chapter 43: Logan
Chapter 44: Ellie
Chapter 45: Logan
Chapter 46: Ellie
Chapter 47: Logan
Chapter 48: Ellie
Chapter 49: Ellie
Chapter 50: Logan
Chapter 51: Ellie
Chapter 52: Ellie
Chapter 53: Ellie
Chapter 54: Ellie
Chapter 55: Logan
Chapter 56: Ellie
Chapter 57: Logan
Chapter 58: Logan
Chapter 59: Ellie
Chapter 60: Ellie
Chapter 61: Logan
Chapter 62: Logan
Chapter 63: Logan
Chapter 64: Ellie
Chapter 65: Logan
Chapter 66: Ellie
Chapter 67: Ellie
Chapter 68: Ellie
Chapter 69: Ellie
Chapter 70: Logan
Chapter 71: Ellie
Chapter 72: Ellie
Chapter 73: Logan
Chapter 74: Ellie
Chapter 75: Ellie
Intermission
Chapter 76: Ellie
Chapter 77: Harper
Chapter 78: Ellie
Chapter 79: Logan
Chapter 80: Logan
Chapter 81: Logan
Chapter 82: Ellie
Chapter 84: Logan
Chapter 85: Ellie
Chapter 86: Ellie
Chapter 87: Logan
Chapter 88: Ellie
Chapter 89: Logan
Chapter 90: Logan
Chapter 91: Ellie
Chapter 92: Logan
Chapter 93: Ellie
Chapter 94: Ellie
Chapter 95: Logan
Chapter 96: Ellie
Chapter 97: Jake
Chapter 98: Ellie
Chapter 99: Logan
Chapter 100: Logan
Chapter 101: Ellie
Chapter 102: Logan
Chapter 103: Ellie
Chapter 104: Ellie
Chapter 105: Ellie
Chapter 106: Ellie
Chapter 107: Logan
Chapter 108: Logan
Chapter 109: Ellie
Chapter 110: Ellie
Chapter 111: Ellie
Chapter 112: Ellie
Chapter 113: Ellie
Chapter 114: Logan
Chapter 115: Emmitt
Chapter 116: Ellie
Chapter 117: Harper
Chapter 118: Jake
Chapter 119: Harper
Chapter 120: Ellie
Chapter 121: Jake
Chapter 122: Logan
Chapter 123: Ellie
Chapter 124: Ellie
Chapter 125: Logan
Chapter 126: Ellie
Chapter 127: Logan
Chapter 128: Ellie
Chapter 129: Ellie
Chapter 130: Ellie
Chapter 131: Ellie
Chapter 132: Ellie
Chapter 133: Logan
Chapter 134: Logan
Chapter 135: Ellie
Epilogue: Ellie
What's Coming Next..

Chapter 83: Logan

4.5K 225 289
By still_just_me

"Fuck, she's here again."

A rough hand grabbed into the center of my jersey, right between the numbers, and tugged on me like a fangirl. My eyes shifted up from the black glove clenched right at my sternum to the excitement in the brown eyes next to me.

"The hell, Brooks?" I shook Seth's hand off me.

"Sorry, I saw her," he mumbled next to me, his helmet still cranked in a direction over my shoulder while his eyes roamed around the field.

"Who?" I glanced over my shoulder in the direction he gazed but only saw Ellie.

Well, technically I saw Ellie within a sea of purple Husky jerseys that included an airhorn enthusiast next to Monique, who sat hunched over forwards in her seat with her forehead cupped in her hands. The shrill sound cut through even the dulled pregame crowd noise, which I wasn't sure I looked forward to when our bench was within twenty feet from it. I also saw Mom sat very closely to Mr. Reynolds while Brody hunched over, with his elbows rested on his knees and expression like he preferred if he was buried six feet under.

"D-train!" Wes hollered out across the field at Darrius, then caught my toss.

Number fifty-five's large frame trotted right over to the sidelines we looked at, where thankfully Darrius took the air horn from a small yet fierce-looking older woman who I assumed was his mom by the way she kissed his helmet. She sat right behind my mom, who leaned in closer to Mr. Reynolds, spoke into his ear, then put her hand on his shoulder as both of them laughed.

Hmm...

"Somehow I doubt Darrius' mom is who you were talking about." I grinned at Seth.

"Nope, the smoking hot blonde from practice," he replied with his tongue practically dropped onto the turf. "On Ellie's right, bro. Gotta feeling she's a screamer."

"Blonde on Ellie's right..." I looked over again then nearly bent over from laughter when I saw Seth's latest conquest desire. After a few loud laughs that left aches in my belly, I straightened up and gasped, "You can't be serious. Harper?"

"Harper huh?" He rolled her name off his tongue like in a trial run. "You know her?"

"She's... Ellie's friend from California. Be my guest." I chuckled and tossed the ball to Wes again. "Your funeral bro."

"So you could put in a good word," he replied like I needed another good laugh, because that's exactly what he gave me.

"She wouldn't listen to a damn thing I had to say," I admitted with a grin.

Truthfully, name unknown, 'that blonde' AKA Harper Reynolds was the talk of the locker room after more guys than Seth noticed her at yesterday's practice. I'd kept my mouth shut because, first of all, Harper took care of herself. Second of all, my personal amusement factor was higher if the guys discovered her... Harper-ness on their own.

I understood the appeal because obviously Harper was a beautiful girl with her classic California-natural features. She was at least eight inches taller than Ellie but, as with anyone in a side-by-side view next to Ellie, there was no comparison for me.

"Bring her to the house party tonight," Seth apparently hadn't gotten the hint. "Ellie too, celebrate the win for once."

"Gotta get there first," I reminded him. "Gotta get there."

Like the Michigan game, we leapt out to an early lead and never lost. However, Montana put up a much tougher fight and, after our first two quick scores in the first period, the Grizzlies' defense made some adjustments and clamped tighter onto our receivers. I switched to run plays and a few switch-ups and end-arounds, but our offensive steam definitely slowed down.

Despite that, Husky Stadium welcomed us back to the home turf like kings, with cheers and thunderous applause in an electric atmosphere that blew my mind the entire game. The excitement lasted from the first footstep I'd taken as I led the team onto the field to the last steps, where I paused at the tunnel for a few autographs, helmet slaps, and high-fives.

Three games, eleven touchdowns, and zero sacks and interceptions later, I'd won over the cynics who'd written off our season once Emmitt went down. Montana was a tougher opponent but by the end of the sixty minutes, we won 38-15. Offensively, my go-to scorers were again the top contributors, namely Jamal with more than two hundred yards rushed and two touchdowns, both of which earned him the game ball afterwards.

While I checked my phone for a few post-game updates, at 4-0 and tied for first in the PAC-12 with USC, Huskies fans and reporters sung my praises. While I cared less about the news coverage for personal gain, I felt the pride and support from the fans the entire time I stood with turf under my cleats and the cannons fired for each score. The roars pumped adrenaline through my veins and I wanted those fans impressed by and proud of our team.

At one point during the fourth quarter, I glanced up and found L-O-G-A-N painted on a line of guys' naked torsos who danced to the Husky Band's version of 'Tequila.'

Guess that's when you know you've made it.

"I'm still waiting for that," Wes joked with an elbow jabbed into my nearest bicep. "Closest I've gotten was a girl who wrote W-E-S on her rack. W on the right, S on the left, and E right in the middle as she flashed me. Charlie was less than impressed though."

"I can imagine." I laughed slightly then leaned back in my seat and drowned out the loud, familiar heckler's mix of cheers and jeers behind me.

Mom's been pretty well-behaved so far. For her, even though I swear if she calls me Husky boy one more time then I might throw an out of bounds ball in her direction.

The second half of the game was as slow and steady as the second period but we emerged victorious again. After the shared handshake, the Grizzlies left the field with tucked chins while we danced off with raised fists and a celebratory crowd to our still-undefeated record.

"Logan! LT!" A male voice called out to me while I signed the bottom of a fan's jersey. I turned around and smiled at the grin on Mike Sorrell's familiar face. Once I shook his hand, he slipped his interview recorder near my chin.

"Excellent game, seems like you really saw the field well today," he started.

I put my hands on my hips and gave my go to credit, "All the guys did today. We've been working hard in practices, plays are coming together, and we pulled out a big win today."

"A lot of people have had next week's game on their radar, what can we expect?"

"Expect that we're gonna bring everything we've got." I took a slow breath and pushed down the thoughts of the ESPN interview that was scheduled to air tomorrow night during ESPN's College Gameday Football Sunday recap show. "USC has shown how consistent they are, it's a real test for us both sides of the field but we're going to work hard and I know we're gonna bring everything we've got."

Mike nodded slightly, then pressed out another question, "Can you tell us about the fans? Any changes around campus?"

"I get recognized a lot more, especially the grocery store," I joked with a small laugh. "But they've been amazing. Super supportive, especially all the well-wishes for Emmitt Verns. Whole team appreciates it."

I wasn't lying, people had even sent in letters that wished Emmitt a speedy recovery as he geared up for his physical therapy appointments. The number of letters that flooded in for me, along with some 'presents' of sorts, boggled my mind.

Thankfully, the Huskies screened any mail sent to the players, replied to genuine fan mail letters with signed pictures that we'd signed during training camp, and donated stuffed animals or reusable items. Once a week, after film study on Thursdays since Ellie was out at yoga, I stayed behind and signed any shirts or jerseys people mailed in.

A few of the guys on the team refused autographs, like they thought that increased their value, but I couldn't have cared less. If anyone went to the effort where they mailed something they wanted my sloppy signature on, then they'd earned it.

A few mail items snuck through to my new P.O. Box though, which Ellie recommended that I delivered back to the Huskies' fan mail processors. By far the weirdest item anyone sent me was underwear of all shapes and sizes, both men's and women's, as well as sex toys. I'd joked with Ellie to keep some but she was less than enthused at that idea.

"LT." Coach Peterson clapped a palm onto my shoulder, a signal he wanted a word with me.

"Thanks Mike," I closed off the interview with a stiff nod and walked into the locker room with Coach.

"Great game, really clicking on all cylinders," he said quietly.

"Thanks Coach," I replied with a grin as the hallway to the locker room dimmed the crowd noise the more we walked. Results were results and I was pleased with our progress even if there was always more work to be done.

My cleats clicked softly on the cement floors while he continued, "Next Friday before Homecoming and Parents' Weekend, can I bring you out to an alumni event? Big donors expected but if your parents are coming-"

"They're not coming." I kept my eyes down and removed my helmet. "What is it?"

"Golf course event," he replied. "I'll text you the details."

Internally I groaned at the idea I embarrassed myself from my lack of a golf game. "Anyone else coming?"

"Just you and Verns." His answer spurned equal parts curiosity and dread inside me. "Last minute request for quarterbacks. Just you two, not Castle."

"Huh..." I paused for a few steps and wondered why my backup quarterback Andrew Castle hadn't also been invited. He finished the University of Michigan game respectably. "Can Verns even golf right now?"

"Leave the clubs at home," was all Coach Peterson said. "Just show up at the course."

Great.

"I'm not going to cry... I am not going to..." Mom's eyes beaded up with tears and her nostrils visually vibrated as she inhaled a deep, congested-filled breath before she broke down and clung tightly to me. "Oh fudge, yes I am!"

"It's okay Mom." I patted her awkwardly on her back and looked over at Brody's hug around Ellie. Off to the side, Harper stood with her arms over her chest and one hip slightly jutted out to the side.

Brody's cheeks were definitely pink, especially when Ellie kissed him gently on one of them, then patted the spot with her hand. While Harper awkwardly hugged Brody and turned his face the color of a tomato with an exaggerated kiss that left a lipstick mark on his other cheek, Mom detached her starfish-like grip onto my body, then flung herself around Ellie's small frame.

"Have a good flight," I told Brody, then gave him a hand clasp with one hand and a one-armed bro hug with the other before I gestured at my cheek with my finger. "Great to see you."

"You too." He nodded slightly, wiped his cheek with the back of his hand, then rolled his eyes since Mom hadn't budged. With Ellie's tight smile, I questioned whether Mom had cut off her air supply. Brody surprised me when he added, "She's a sweet girl, LT."

"I'm pretty lucky." I realized he'd dodged my question every time so I asked again, "What about you? Anyone caught your eye?"

"Possibly," was all he muttered, adjusted the Huskies' baseball cap he wore backwards, then tapped Mom on the shoulder. "We're going to get the worst seats in our boarding group if you don't let Ellie breathe, Ma."

One soft gasp from Ellie later, I took over where Mom stepped off and tugged Ellie into my side.

"And you!" Mom cried out as she lurched forwards a few steps and choked Harper's neck. "You are lovely dear."

"Oh fuck," she gasped out. "I still plan to come back to California tomorrow, Grace."

"And you two." Mom's tears trailed over her cheeks and her voice was thick and raspy when she released Harper. "Oh here, let me take another picture. Logan you can put it online for me."

"Busted," Ellie whispered and poked one of her fingers right into the nerve spot she managed to hit every time between two of my ribs. My torso flinched from the sharp sting, but I just chuckled at her teasing and tugged her closer.

We smiled for several taps of Mom's fingers for a picture, most of which she'd cut my head off in. Once I found a decent enough one and loaded it to Mom's page, Ellie, Harper, and I waved goodbye and watched as Brody and Mom threaded through the security line. Once they waved again and disappeared around a corner, both my arms wrapped tightly around Ellie. My heart thumped faster right where she pressed her cheek against my chest.

"I love you so much for this, thank you baby," I murmured into her hair and pressed a soft kiss into the top of her head. "You're pretty amazing, know that?"

"Yep," was the laughed response against my chest, which earned her a tighter squeeze of my arms. "Better take us home and show me how much you mean that."

I leaned down and smiled when a trail of goosebumps followed the path I traced with my nose down the side of her neck. One of my hands lifted, swept her hair to the side, and I pressed a soft kiss into the spot where her neck joined her shoulder.

Once her body released tiny shivers, I whispered, "Challenge accepted."

"I'm still here," Harper spoke up in a tight, flat voice. "But really, if you need to, by all means just drop me off at the hotel. Or... I'll be at the smoothie store if you want a round rocking your truck in the parking garage."

I stared at Harper as her last words registered.

There's no way she knows... Is there?

I glanced at Harper but her impassive poker face hadn't revealed if Ellie had shared my explosive release in my truck after she'd teased me. Thankfully, Ellie herself redirected the conversation.

"As much as I want to, we might need to take a rain check tomorrow." Ellie sighed and clasped her small hand in mine while we walked over the airport crosswalk from Southwest's departures to the parking garage. "Harper wants to... do something tonight. Her dad is hanging out at the hotel, working through dinner, remember?"

"That's right." I stood straight up and remembered our pre-interview conversation with Mr. Reynolds. While my personal preference was that Ellie and I celebrated with the two of us completely naked then crashed into sleep, I never would've selfishly kept her away from a friend who visited from a few states over.

"Harper, have you noticed anything between your dad and my mom?" I asked her once we stepped onto the garage's third level because she was around them more than me, both here and possibly back in California.

"Seriously?" Her eyebrows lifted. "Other than they have the hots for each other, nope."

When she puts it like that, maybe I don't want to know.

"Do you think they'll act on it?" Ellie's voice softened the more steps up we climbed in the parking garage to the fourth level, where I'd parked.

"Nope," Harper repeated with a soft grunt. By the way her mouth twisted slightly sideways, I assumed that she wasn't entirely convinced about my mom and her dad.

Not sure how I feel about Mom dating anyone. She's entitled to, just... hasn't. Never even mentions it.

"So tonight," I changed the subject because I wasn't sure how I felt on the current one. "Anything in particular you want to do or just hang out?"

"Ugh," Ellie replied between quiet pants. She threw me a dirty look over her shoulder when I rolled my lips inward and suppressed my smile at her flustered state from the stair climbs.

Her palm was noticeably warmer when she took my hand and we walked through the cement garage level back to my truck. After I opened her door, she threw me not her usual appreciative smile but a coy smirk that raised a few dull warning bells in the back of my brain. Harper climbed in silently from the other side but just winked at me from her back seat.

"Harper definitely has something in mind," was all Ellie said before she pressed a soft kiss into my cheek and climbed up into my truck.

My mind searched through a few options of what Ellie possibly meant and came up completely blank. The fact those two now wore matching smirks from their seats in my truck only deepened my confusion but also piqued my curiosity.

Do I even want to know what they have planned?

____________________________________________________________

Q: How many chapters are left?

A: As of now, I've written just out to Ch88, but in my outline there's approximately 40 more chapters.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.9M 69.5K 48
FREE STORY. PAID BONUS CHAPTERS. ❝Our eyes met, Our bodies touched, Our hearts fell.....all the way down in love,❞ A Shy Senior Year College Girl A P...
4.5M 103K 27
[COMPLETED] WARNING: I wrote this when I was in high school, which was about seven/eight years ago. That reflects so much in the writing of this book...
2.3M 41.6K 61
Football players are assholes. I know; I'm related to their king. My older, and annoyingly overprotective, brother Jake is the star quarterback at Sa...
1M 49.5K 43
Eighteen-year-old Nat falls for five different boys during her first month at college, but never openly admits her crushes - until one night she drun...