The Exiled Gem

由 Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... 更多

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

Mediocre Eights

158 16 3
由 Maplebell

Alexandra had NEVER thought in the wildest of dreams that she was going to return as the Head of Council.

The first person who saw her was Diana. She was sitting on the wet, dewy grass next to the Arena, and as soon as Alexandra crossed over the moat, she stood up.

'Mabel?! Suddenly? Is everything a-'

'Doveland's attacked. We are in war. I'm Head of Council. Everything is alright...' Alexandra sighed.

'Doveland attacked?!' Diana almost shouted, 'You are HEAD OF COUNCIL?!' This time she really shrieked across the length of the council, a few pigeons erupted from the neighboring trees and flapped away hurriedly.

Alexandra nodded, 'Do me a favour, Sister. Call a meeting.'

Everybody sat around the long, polished, Mahogany table. Alexandra feeling uncomfortable in her position at the head of it, as she played with the small, golden key in her hand.

'All of them are here,' Kane announced, 'continue, Mabel.'

'As I said, Sirs - we're into war. Doveland's attacked and this-' she held up the small key, 'is one of the temporary decisions tha-'

'Why?!' Demanded Watson, leaning over indignantly, 'Why should it be temporary?'

'Exactly!' Fannel banged his hand on the table, 'Whom are you kidding?'

'Besides, you will make a good Head,' Henry confessed - Alexandra had to make sure she was not dreaming of it.

'And this,' Kane wrapped up, taking out the fist-sized Head of Espionage batch, and pinning it to Alexandra's chest, 'looks good on you.'

'But it'll look better on me.' Diana contended, pushing her hair back. Then found everybody staring at her mutely, she straightened up and continued. 'Come on - I was just kidding!'

'A second,' Jake, a thirty five year old said, 'Mark - you never told us that Diana was capable of joking...'

'I never realized that, myself!' Fannel replied, shrugging as everyone howled with laughter,

'Alright - peace!' Alexandra yelled over the din, 'Back to business, spies!'

* * *

Diana, Jack, Smith and Alexandra.

That's how many people remained back in the Council after all of Doveland was covered. Even the fifth years were sent away - almost a hundred letters were sent to the Councils in the other states.

Alexandra wouldn't have remained back. She wanted some action, some movement and field work. But unfortunately, as Kane pointed out: Heads had to remain in the Council at times of War.

With Master George it had been easy. But it was difficult for Alexandra to sit still. Things became better when Diana proposed they could duel everyday... or night rather, since the days were guaranteed to be busy.

'Really?' Alexandra asked her,

'Yes, Little Sister.' Diana nodded.

'I hope I'll find her in one piece, then, Diana.' Fannel ventured.

'Of course you will,' Alexandra replied, 'Want me to write to Marilyn?' she asked, of course they wouldn't be telling her of Fannel going to Doveland - the fact that he was a spy, was still, and would be - a secret. They would simply ask her to not communicate for a few days - because of this and that reasons, all of which were excuses.

'I've written - just ask your green-neck to take it to her.' "green-neck" was the official term for Jade. Alexandra took the thick parchment,

'What will you do? Engaged - fine. But who's shifting? Whose making the compromise?'

'Both of us are,' Fannel smirked, 'Akwanda is the magic word - one of the DK, as well as friendly with Idgard. Done. We were stupid to not have thought of it before.'

'I told you - you were being stupid! You should use that genius brain you have got a little more. And by the way, I can't believe I can order you around - this small key is magic.' Alexandra marveled, staring at the golden key.

'Well,' Fannel confessed, 'You and Marilyn are the only ones I'll accept being ordered around by.'

'That's very chivalrous of you, Mark Fannel - I hope to let Diana hear of this.' She nodded importantly, then she turned to Watson,

'So - Elf... want me to talk to Diana?'

'Shh!' he panicked, 'not yet, Captain - I'll do it when I'm ready. And I will do it - so don't you dare.'

'Fine, my boy! Though "dare" aren't words one should use with their boss.'

'Wha-' He began, but Alexandra interrupted him,

'Get going, get going! Or should I call the priest to fix you an auspicious timing?!'

'Master George has possessed you,' He muttered, taking for the exit.

'Head, you'll do well,' Kane reassured - which was somehow needed from him - as he had been the "manager" of the council all this while.

'With your help, Kane.' She replied, 'I need somebody like you to do so much - Master George was extraordinary... we remain-'

'Mediocre,' Kane completed, as Alexandra cracked a smile, 'true. But two eights are greater than one fifteen - if that makes any sense to you.'

'It does,' she confirmed, 'though I never thought philosophy was possible with numbers.' She stopped for a pause. 'Alright then, Agent Alden - I wish you good luck.'

'I think I'll need lots of good luck.' He replied, smiling - which pronounced his crinkles. 'But you - you will need even more.'

That last line kept Alexandra thinking for more than half an hour after they had all left.

* * *

Something was wrong.

Alexandra was sure of as much - in the Doveland camps, something was wrong. Very wrong.

Spies reported that the soldiers had vigor - but their leaders were steadily wanting to discontinue the war. This was something Alexandra had never heard of before. Mostly, the soldiers withdrew - rebelled - refused to continue. Here, there was some reverse procedure going on.

Nobody knew why.

There was no trace of Ethoris in the war. None of Cartania. Needless to say - Doveland was sloshing around in a quicksand. There was no escape from defeat.

Which Alexandra surmised was the reason the leaders were dejected. Ethoris had double-crossed them. Betrayed at the last minute. And they had two options now - surrender, or... get annihilated.

She wondered why whatever was happening, was happening. Maybe after this war - if Austin broke away from the parasitic Ethoris - things would be better.

No hopes, though. He's a dullard. Mind groaned. Alexandra nodded in agreement. She had expected better from her brother - he hadn't been like this when he was twenty one.

Then again, everybody had thought Olivia would turn out perfectly. Did that happen? No. They had expected Rose to be a ceremonial, bedecked doll. Did that happen? No. They had expected Alexandra to be a misfit all her life. Did that happen? No.

Then how could they expect Austin to end up as the predicted person. They had all turned out so very different from what was anticipated.

Nothing ever turned out as expected.

Ever.

'Mabel - are you sure about what you are doing?' Diana's voice sounded distant and unreal, but it broke Alexandra's thought chain. She shook her face and stared around herself.

They were still in the supervisory of the Council. Diana and Jack were staring at her, looking perplexed and frowning. Smith was flapping through pages.

Alexandra realized all her hair was wet. She had been pouring a glass of water on her head rather than drinking it, lost in her thoughts. The parchment in front of her was wet. She crumpled it up and threw it out of the window - it had just been unmindful doodling.

'Sorry,' she turned to Diana, 'I was-'

'Lost in thoughts, we understood as much.' Diana completed, sitting down next to her, 'Mabel- take a break.'

'No I'm fi-'

'You are taking a break.'

'Dia-'

'Come on,' She concluded, pulling Alexandra up, 'by the lake.'

'What were you thinking about?' Diana asked her, as they sat on the Arena wall - as the lake was deemed too far. Alexandra sat above, her legs swinging down, Diana stood next to her, her elbows resting on the prickly, stone wall.

'About my... adolescence.'

'Fancies? Infatuations? Fights?'

'Expectations.' Alexandra clarified, 'I had a box of expectations. And the box just broke along with all of them.'

'My box broke thrice. Once when on Velloi Hills, and then once again when you came along. The old needs to break - if we have to grow.'

Alexandra didn't reply, she stared at the small grove that had come up beside the training grounds in the past ten years. She liked it - none of the plants were recognizable to her but the solitude she could experience walking through it when she couldn't sleep at night was addicting. 'And the third time?'

'Because of that blasted King.' She scoffed and Alexandra couldn't help laughing.

'If he hears of thi-'

'We've got the Ethoris-Doveland alliance points, Mabel!' Smith's voice shouted across the Arena. The two women exchanged looks, previous talks forgotten, and nodded. Alexandra hopped onto the ground.

A week into the war, they had got their hands upon the necessary jackpot.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

4K 146 18
Charlotte King. A bubbly, smart, fun teenage girl to be around. Until her mother died. She becomes nearly mute and almost a loser. Her dad gets an of...
12.8K 366 39
This is my take on a few cliches in the romance-fantasy world, but fear not! I've added quite a few sick twists and turns ;) - - - - - - - He's roya...
5K 278 41
This is a mafia story , which is not lovey dovey . If you still wanna read this carry on . ( Please don't judge the book just by reading first 2 or...
366K 2.9K 35
{{Believe in the unimaginable when it comes to love.}} Jane was just an ordinary girl when one day everything came crushing down her life. She lost h...