His Angel

By BigBballBoy

Starts off from the Quidditch world cup, Harry finds a more important reason to fight for and that sometimes... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
chapter 30

Chapter 29

1.9K 39 18
By BigBballBoy

What were you thinking?!"

He gave no sign of acknowledgment for the speaker, instead choosing to brush past her as he continued on his way.

Would it be a fallacy to believe he could avoid this upcoming confrontation?

Of course it would. He thought resignedly.

He didn't even blink when he found he was no longer at the gates, instead standing at what was now his least favorite place to be. The distant yet familiar sound of the waves crashing into the face of the cliff was recognition enough.

"If you are trying to make me disappear my dear…this is the wrong place." He said quietly, briefly acknowledging her presence with a short bow.

He couldn't see her face beneath the hood, but judging from the way the tip of her sword was pressed against his throat he knew he'd crossed a line.

Which line though…

"You're despicable." She spat. "To think you'd go so far…"

"I'm only doing what has to be done."

"There was another way!"

"Your way would have cost so much more." He said, louder than before. He could feel the blade edge deeper ever so slightly but he was unfazed. "Would you really have done that? All for the sake of one life?!"

"You know how much he means to me!" He winced at the broken note in her voice. "Not only to me but to you as well…or have you forgotten? Have you truly forsaken everything you set out to do?"

"What about you?" He growled, taking a step forward, not caring the blade was embedding itself deeper. "Are you prepared to condemn so many just so you could start over? Just so you could return to a life you once knew? Stop being so dam selfish for a change and maybe you'll see the ruin we were heading into." Another step forward and he allowed himself to pass through her, leaving her standing behind him, her blade now touching nothing but thin air. "I have played my hand and there's nothing I'll allow to stop me from making things right."

"Even if it means making him disappear?" He turned around to see her gazing back at him. Her darkened wings flared out behind her menacingly. She'd lowered her blade but the message was clear. If he was going to go through with it, she was against him.

He already knew this. He also would have been disappointed if it were anything less.

"Yes."

"I won't let that happen." She said, her voice as icy as the wind.

"You want to break all the rules for his sake?"

"I've already broken more than I can count." With that she was gone, leaving behind a single black feather.

He sighed softly, gazing at the feather for a few moments. The temptation was there, yet he could not allow himself to give in. He had to finish what he started. Maybe the boy would understand someday when he learns everything…

But until then, he had one final battle to fight. Only this time instead of being the pawn he is the one in control.

He had played his hand. The only problem was…knowing her, he had an idea of what she was going to do.

And knowing the player she was going to choose…everything was going to be that much harder.

Let the games begin

Fleur repressed a shiver as she walked down past the elf heads hanging above her.

This was one of the many things she hated about this house. That feeling of foreboding she'd gotten the first time she'd come here had not gone away at all…although the place looked much brighter than before. It seemed like Sirius and the rest of the Order had spent some time trying to spruce the place up.

Time wasted in her opinion...there was no way to get this place look any less dreary. Given the first chance she'd apparate out of here in an instant back home to France but no…her idiot of a fiancé simply had to stay.

And her being even more of an idiot who couldn't find it in her to refuse him whenever she looked into his big, green eyes (something he'd really gotten the hang of doing now) was now stuck here with him.

Well…no, she was being too hard on him. Ever since yesterday her head hadn't been in the right place. But then again, who could blame her? She spent most…if not all her time worrying about him even when she had him in her grasp…she was well within her rights to get angry at him as he'd quietly pointed out last night when she'd gotten a bit hard on her words with him. She could not understand why he'd completely refused to tell them anything.

He was afraid of something…that much she knew. But what exactly?

Sighing she continued on her way downstairs towards the only light in the darkness inside this house which seemed to be coming from the kitchen. It was still in the early hours of the morning so no one in their right minds would be up right now…except him.

Sure enough, there he was…standing alone at the counter over kettle which was giving off a faint whistle.

"Didn't mean to wake you."He murmured softly, without turning around. She frowned, leaning against the doorway.

"You do know 'ow I feel about waking up alone? And in zis place too?"

"I forgot how much you hated this place." He said, his face apologetic. "Sorry for forcing you to stay…"

"No one forced me to stay."She huffed, walking over to him. A small smile appeared on his face.

"I stayed…that's enough." She smiled back, glad that he didn't seem too upset with her. They rarely ever had disagreements, so anytime either of them ever raised their voice over the other it stung a little too much. Indeed, she could still remember that time she'd stopped talking to him for his recklessness. It was one of the worst experiences she'd ever had to go through, one she did not want to repeat.

Even if the likelihood of him ever doing what she did was close to zero.

He seemed to have read her mind. "I know you're still frustrated..."

"I'm not…"

"No, listen…"

"But.."

"Fleur…" She sighed before inclining her head at him. "I know you're worried about me...and that you only want to help. But there's just…I have to be sure of a few things before I can tell you."

"Why?" She asked, allowing a note of plea to enter her voice. "'Arry…I can't keep forcing you to let me 'elp…zere's only so much I can take too…" Her words had an immediate effect as it looked like all the fight went out of him. For a moment neither of them said anything. Twice he attempted to speak but seemed to think better of it.

"I just don't want you to think I'm crazy."He muttered finally, his hand coming up to his hair as he fruitlessly tried to tame it for the umpteenth time; a sign she'd gotten quite used to seeing whenever he was nervous.

"I've been wiz you for 'ow long now?" She asked lightly, closing the remaining distance between them before taking his hand in hers, frowning at how cold it felt. "You may not be normal…even by our standards…" She was glad to see the barest hint of a smile grace his features at her words. "…but crazy? Never."

"You don't know what I-" He stopped abruptly, as if realizing what he was saying before shaking his head. "Once…once I show you…I can only hope."

"You know I'll never zink zat of you."She said softly, gazing into his eyes. "You are ze sanest man I know. You just 'ave to trust me more." He seemed to relax, squeezing her hand gently before leaning his head against hers. He felt so cold against her that it was distracting…how long had he been down here?

"I do…"He whispered, closing his eyes. She hummed as his hand came up to her cheek, caressing it gently. "It scares me to think what I would've done without you."

"You won't 'ave to find out."She said with a faint smile, regarding him affectionately. She was surprised when he gently pressed his lips against hers before drawing away a few seconds later, a slight hurt in his eyes at her lack of response, something she immediately got onto rectifying by wrapping her arms around his neck, melding their forms together as she kissed him with renewed vigor.

The loud whistling of the kettle interrupted them before long however…which was both a good and bad thing. Apart from the obvious annoyance at the interruption, it just wouldn't do for them to be caught out here going any further.

Nevertheless, neither of them could tear their sight from the other, the slight stinging in her cheeks informing her she was unable to hide her blush. He smiled at her, his eyes twinkling brightly as he pressed his lips against her temple eliciting a sigh of satisfaction from her as she closed her eyes, enjoying the moment.

"'Ere…let me."She murmured, moving him over so that she could take charge of making the coffee, something which seemed to offend him deeply.

"But I wanted to make for both of us."He said with a slight pout that made her giggle as she busied herself with the cups.

"'Arry…you know I love you right?" She couldn't see him but took his grunt as an affirmative. "So you'll know I'm not trying to 'urt your feelings when I say ze coffee you make tastes like skele-grow."

"But you looked like you liked it the last time I made some…" She heard him mumble as she felt his arms encircle her waist from the back. "Oh…" He muttered distractedly, resting his chin on her shoulder. "So you add the sugar after adding the water and stuff…well…you could have told me you didn't like it…"

"And watch you mope around like a beaten puppy?" She quipped, laughing at the thoroughly offended look he shot her. "Come on…" She pecked his cheek before resuming the task at hand. "Take notes. Alzough I don't know 'ow good zese english brands are…" She trailed off, picking up the can and staring at it doubtfully.

"Oi! Don't you badmouth my stuff alright?" A familiar voice called from behind them making Harry laugh while she rolled her eyes.

"No need to get so sentimental about a can of coffee." She sniffed. "And bonjour to you too Monsieur Black."

"It's the crack of dawn you crazy pair of…" The now identified Sirius trailed off, grumbling incoherently as he slouched in front of the counter, gazing at them with half lidded eyes before cracking the widest yawn she'd seen to date. "I thought Kreacher was back and up to something again so I came to check.'

"Still no luck finding that thing?" Harry asked with barely hidden distaste in his voice. She knew he'd taken a deep loathing to the house elf ever since it'd called her a 'filthy dark creature'.

Not that otherwise it'd be likeable.

"Nope. With luck I'll find his body somewhere." Sirius muttered uncaringly. "Probably tried to smuggled another one of dear old dad's 'heirlooms' into his den and set it off. But yeah, can't be too hopeful."

"You two can be so…" She shook her head, unable to find the word she was looking for. "Maybe it's not 'e's fault 'e's so…"

"Deranged?" Sirius supplied helpfully, leaning on the counter. "Trust me, no one will miss him. But anyway, why are we even talking about him in the first place? What I really want to know about is you two."

"What do you want to know?" She asked as Harry briefly tightened his arms around her before burying his face in her shoulder. Sirius smirked knowingly at her before nodding at his godson.

"You forgive too easily you know…"

"Shut up." Harry's muffled voice fired back making her and Sirius crack identical grins.

"Maybe 'e's right…per'aps I did forgive you too easily." She mused, turning to look at Harry who looked up, his grip to loosening as he gazed uncertainly at her.

"But…I thought…"

"Oh for…stop zat! Mon dieu…you still can't tell when I'm kidding or not?" She asked incredulously, grabbing his arms and locking them back around her.

"Awwww…aren't you two cute." Sirius laughed, reaching over and ruffling Harry's hair who scowled back at him. "You…" He turned back to her, his expression growing serious (no pun intended). "You're going to have to come up with something or else he'll be making you dance to whatever tune he wants you to."

"'E won't." She sniffed.

"Oh he will. He's a male. You're a female who can't seem to stay angry at him for anything. He's found the Holy Grail. And besides, it's you who's supposed to be able to control him. Not the other way around!"

"What am I supposed to do when 'e does zat zing wiz 'is eyes?!" She snapped irritably making Sirius roar in laughter as Harry gave a quiet chuckle.

"Lily made us do things against our will by using that tactic."

"Even you and Remus?" Harry asked curiously.

"Well…" Sirius suddenly looked uncomfortable and slowly started edging away from the table. "Your mother…well, first you have to understand that you both have those infamous eyes. If you have power over a Veela I mean…"

"'E does not…" She grumbled, a blush creeping up her face which was something she couldn't hide from either of them as Sirius's smirk was back in full effect while Harry avoided her eyes.

"You were saying…" Harry prompted much to her relief.

"Well…I would've thought you'd realized by now. I mean apart from the eyes she was very easy on the eyes too. We were all at the prime of our youth and so more than a little eager to meet her every need so…y'know…"

"You all tried to date my mom?" Harry said dryly.

"It wasn't just us alright? I don't think there wasn't one boy alive back at Hogwarts who didn't want a shot at Lily Evans. James of course being the lucky bastard he is did the impossible." He sighed.

"You know…you Potters are the luckiest men in the world if you come to think of it. Your grandmother was quite a looker back in the day…your dad got Lily, you got this lovely lass here…" He nodded at her to which she smiled back, accepting the non-perverted compliment. One of the only times it'd happened. "Me, I get left in the dust."

"You've still got Remus non?" She said bracingly, handing him his coffee.

"Oh ha ha." He said sarcastically. "But yeah, even he's going to leave the bachelor club before long."

"Oh? Remus finally taking some initiative?" Harry asked in surprise.

"Hah…you kidding me? He's getting initiated on. That mangy wolf wouldn't know if someone was flirting with him unless she told him beforehand…" A dawning expression on his face. "You know what? That's what I should tell her to do…"

"Is eet anyone we know?"

"Why spoil the fun? You'll see for yourself soon." He muttered before seemingly sobering up. "Thank you though…for staying." He added, seeing their questioning looks.

"We want to be there." Harry said shortly while she reached out, giving his hand a gentle squeeze making him smile gratefully at them. She wriggled herself free of Harry's embrace to give him his cup before starting to clean up as Sirius started listing all the things he wanted to do once he wasn't a wanted criminal in England.

They'd learnt only yesterday that Sirius was going to be put on a formal trial, courtesy of the new Minister of Magic and some persuading from Dumbledore. And as circumstances would have it, the trial would take place tomorrow.

Needless to say they wanted to be there to support him which was partly the reason why they'd chosen to stay.

The other reason...she didn't really know what to make of it.

Harry'd insisted on wanting to go up to Godric's Hollow yesterday. He'd fought tooth and nail, one of the only times he'd flat out refused to listen to her mother…or her for that matter. It was only after much debate and a lot of reassurances from both Sirius and Remus that her mother was able to stomach leaving both him and her behind. Either way, both her parents would be there for Sirius's trial tomorrow so that probably helped.

They could understand of course, seeing his parent's graves…it was something he'd wanted for a long time…but there was just something about the events from the day before that was making her wary about his rather sudden need. It didn't help that he didn't seem to want to tell any of them what had happened…the only thing she could count on was that he eventually would.

She smiled softly when he pecked her cheek, murmuring his thanks when she handed him his cup.

Sure…he is a handful. But he meant everything to her. She would reach into the depths of hell to yank him out if it came down to it.

"'Ow do I look?"

"Beautiful as always." Harry smiled at his now auburn haired fiancé making her pout.

"Flatterer." She smirked back before performing a quick twirl towards him. "I mean really, do I look like could blend in wiz people?"

"Well…" He leaned forward, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear as her eyes followed him. They'd tried but they'd been unable to change the color of her inexplicably bright blue eyes.

It was somewhat strange seeing those familiar eyes gazing at him from a completely different source than he was used to. Despite knowing this rather short haired (she'd decided to forgo her waist long hair, opting for a more 'common' shoulder length) woman in front of him was Fleur, it was still a slight source of discomfort for him knowing he found her attractive.

"You're always going to turn heads no matter what you change." He said in a resigned voice.

"But I do not look like ze big bad Veela 'oo ensnared ze boy 'oo lived non?" He gazed at her for a moment before nodding. Yes, no one would be able to spot her for a Veela.

He didn't want to make her wear a disguise but he'd relented when Sirius had told him just how easily they'd be recognized and besieged by reporters and the general public if they saw a silver haired young woman accompanying him. Dealing with those was really not something he'd have the energy for today.

"Not to others." She smiled softly, putting her hand on his cheek as her eyes met his.

"I know." She murmured softly. He smiled back, covering her hand with his before lowering them, now firmly intertwined.

"Shall we?"

"We shall."

"Took you long enough." Sirius commented as they came down the stairs.

"But I 'ad to fix myself up!" Fleur whined in a childish voice making most of the onlookers smile.

"Alright." A voice cut in sternly. Harry immediately noticed the slightly hunched figure of Moody who he realized was glaring at them. "We burnt enough daylight already…so if you two're done acting like a pair of teenagers getting ready for a date…"

"As far as I know you're only 'ere to escort us so I'll take as much time as I'd like." Fleur shot back almost immediately, her eyes narrowed at him. "And if we 'ad a choice we'd be going on our own. We're not children you need to take care of."

Harry could only stare in surprise at her. Never in his memory had he seen her snap at someone so…abruptly. And Moody is definitely not someone she'd ever had any real interaction with before, real or fake.

Judging by stunned expression on Moody's face it was not something even he could've foreseen.

"What?" She asked stiffly, looking around the eerily quiet room. Sirius and Remus, the only other two with them looked like they had no idea how to act.

A few more agonizingly painful moments later someone started cackling. Softly at first but it gradually got louder until it was full blown laughter.

Of course they could always count on Sirius.

"A-Alastor…" Sirius gasped, wiping tears from his eyes as he struggled to speak. Even Remus who was usually composed had turned away, his shoulders shaking in silent mirth. "Alastor…you alright there mate?"

"I-" At this point even Harry couldn't help but smirk. True, the man he knew as Alastor Moody may have been an imposter but to the imposter's credit, he had managed to even fool Dumbledore so this speechless man in front of him couldn't be that different.

To see someone like him rendered to such a state by Fleur was simply comical.

"Did you have to do that?" He murmured softly as she pulled him forward, past the unmoving figure of Moody and Sirius who was now halfway on the floor, still laughing hysterically.

"I don't like him." He couldn't help smiling at that.

"Should I ask why?"

"No?" It was her turn to smirk now. "Well…let's just say I don't forgive easily."

Soon they found themselves walking in what looked like a small, quaint little town somewhere in Wales (according to Remus). If they were on track, Godric's hollow shouldn't be more than about a half hour's walk from here on out.

That is not to say the journey had not been tedious. First off, Moody had insisted on taking the Knight bus for some reason. It was actually something Harry'd been rather glad that they'd done instead of apparating there. He still couldn't detested it with a passion. That wasn't to say the Knight bus was a much better alternative though…they'd gotten thrown around like ragdolls with both him and Fleur becoming increasingly irritated with most of the passengers finding themselves near her somehow.

It was quite a new experience for Harry though…being able to be vastly unrecognized in the very country that just over a few months ago had him branded an icon reserved solely for their amusement. He'd come to expect it to a point that his entire posture would stiffen whenever he stepped into any part of Magical Britain.

It still did hurt him though. It was like he didn't have a place from where he came from. He'd essentially lost his identity here. To think it had come to a point that it was necessary for Fleur to disguise herself in order to not give away who he was while he could remain as he is was…

"Harry." Remus muttered, jerking him out of his reverie. He found him pointing at what looked like a small settlement just off to the side below them.

Remus fell silent but he needn't say more as he let out a deep breath he wasn't aware he'd been holding.

An odd sense of familiarity took over him as they started on the slightly winding, steep slope downwards. The pathway was barely non-existant, covered with leaves yet it was like his feet knew where to place the next step in.

"Godric's Hollow…" He murmured softly as they passed by the sign, ignoring the chill that suddenly crept up his spine as he did.

The houses…the trees…they all looked so inexplicably familiar to him. It was like he'd grown up here all his life and forgotten what everything looked like. He had an inkling that he could describe the inside of the aging church in front of him.

None of the people around them seemed to take much notice of their weird procession as they passed through to which he was grateful. He was afraid someone would see him...but…he wasn't scared of being recognized. No, he was scared of looking into any of these stranger's eyes and feeling this odd sense of familiarity.

But…he was not allowed to dwell on it. He did not need Sirius or Remus to nudge him along the way…or Moody's irritable commands. His feet were carrying him…past the church, past the small store, past the row of houses. With each step he grew more sure of his destination.

And then he saw it.

He didn't know if he wanted to smile or cry…looking at the ruins in front of him. This was it. He was finally here. His attention was drawn to the wooden plaque he hadn't noticed before at the side, outside the ruins;

On this spot, on the night of 31 October 1981,Lily and James Potter lost their lives. Their son, Harry, remains the only wizard ever to have survived the Killing Curse. This house, invisible to Muggles, has been left in its ruined state as a monument to the Potters and as a reminder of the violence that tore apart their family.

No one spoke as he stepped into the ruins of what had no doubt, once been a modest, but no less cozy little dwelling. He could see flashes of where everything used to be…despite the ruins he felt as if he could see the rooms the way it was meant to be.

A lump grew in his throat when he found a rather small baby's crib; the only thing standing in these ruins albeit looking as if it could crumble into pieces at any moment. It was at that point that the image of that fateful night flashed in his mind again. The cursed green light…

He was somewhat startled when he felt a gentle pair of arms wrap around his waist, a soft form pressing against him from behind.

It was at that point that he turned away, unable to look on anymore. His eyes met Fleur's concerned blue orbs before she tightened her hold him, her hand coming up to card through his hair as he buried his face on her shoulder. She didn't need to say anything. Her presence was all he needed.

"You had to come sometime Harry." Remus said quietly when he'd drawn away, patting his shoulder as Sirius whined.

"Remus…" Harry started softly after a few long moments of silence. "Where are they…?"

"We'll take you to them." Remus smiled slightly. "You should properly introduce yourselves after all."

Moody had settled on guarding the entrance to the graveyard, casting a minor compulsion charm along the edges to make anyone else coming for a visit with the departed remember a sudden errand they needed to run.

The graveyard behind the church was by no means small…but, despite the rapidly darkening skies both Remus and Sirius guided them through the gravestones with practiced ease. Nevertheless the number of notable names on the gravestones did come as a surprise. Notably the name 'Dumbledore'.

Unfortunately the name looked like it had gotten smudged out. Maybe Dumbledore's parents?

It did not manage to hold his attention for long however as they finally came to a stop. Despite the darkness that surrounded them the tombstone lying in front of them seemed to glow a pearly white making it easy to make out the names etched on it;

In loving memory of James Potter, 27 March, 1960 – 31 October, 1981 and Lily Potter, 30 January, 1960 – 31 October, 1981.

And underneath; The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

He did not know what to do…how to proceed from here. Getting here had felt important at the time. Now…now what?

What was it that he was feeling?

Was it sadness? Regret? No…he was well past that point already. That chapter was over…should be over.

Guilt? Maybe. Here he was, standing in front of the two people who'd laid down their lives for him.

Longing…yes. The longing was there. Not for the first time he wondered what it would be like if he was lying there with them. Death's embrace had never seemed so enticing before.

He felt a hand tighten around his briefly making him gaze to the side, his eyes widening. Fleur…

He clenched the fist of his free hand. Here was the woman who'd stood by him all this time, doing more than anyone had ever done for him. She signed her life away to him, binded her very being to him. Was this how he was repaying her?

"'Arry?" Her concerned voice made him look at her. Suddenly he wished that she'd managed to change her eyes too…it would've been easier to look at her without feeling this self loathing. Just a little.

"I'm sorry." He whispered, bowing his head slightly. He could not look at her…or his parents. Neither of them would be proud of what he was thinking.

"Zere's nozzing you 'ave to apologize for…" She said gently, her finger coming up to trace the side of his face. Her eyes were watery but her voice stayed steady. "Take as much time as you need…I'll be 'ere."

"We did not bring you here so you could wallow in regret Harry." Sirius stepped forward, patting shoulder lightly. "Oh don't worry…" He added at their panicked looks. "Moody has us covered. No one outside the boundaries of the graveyard can see us."

"He's right." Remus muttered quietly. "This is for your parents…I know they would've wanted to see you."

"Well Lily…" Sirius smiled slightly, turning his attention towards the grave. "We fulfilled our promise. We did not corrupt your son. Sorry Prongs…" He added with a wink at Harry. "I owed Lily too much. Besides, he's doing alright for himself."

"Neither of us were there for him during his childhood…we can't tell you how sorry we are for that." Remus added, coming to stand beside Sirius. "But I feel like we never could've brought him up to be the person he is today…one that all of us could be proud."

"He got a Veela too!" Sirius chimed in making Harry smile slightly while Fleur groaned although the amusement was clear in her eyes. Remus face palmed but they could see he was smirking underneath. Trust him to say something like that in the most inopportune moment.

"Yeah…I have to agree." Remus added. "You two don't have anything to worry about."

"We'll see you soon." Sirius muttered softly, his voice cracking towards the end. Remus moved to put an arm around his shoulder and for a few long moments, all four of them just stood, gazing at the grave.

It was oddly calming…the wind was humming softly, almost like a melody while the leaves rustled.

Fleur stepped forward after a while, kneeling gracefully before the grave, a wreath of flowers appearing in front of her as she did which she then laid down gently. She murmured something too soft for anyone to hear before getting back up.

After a while longer Sirius turned towards them. "Ready to head back or do you want to stay a bit longer?"

"You alright wiz leaving 'Arry?" Fleur asked softly.

"Yeah." He murmured softly. "Just…give me a few minutes?"

"'Course." Sirius smiled at him. "We'll be right over there." Fleur gave his hand one final squeeze before letting go, allowing Sirius to put his arm around her and lead her away with Remus following in their wake after a final pat on his shoulder.

He grew slightly apprehensive once they'd left. He was now alone with them. There was not a sound to be heard apart from the faint howling of the wind or the continuous rustling of the leaves.

He slowly knelt down before taking a deep breath. This would be the first time he was going to be doing this but he wanted to do this…he wanted to leave behind something.

He raised his hand, concentrating his magic into the tips of his fingers. A warm emerald glow started forming around them with streaks of blue encircling the tiny orbs. Holding it steady he began to wave a pattern in front of him, long streaks of light twisting in the wake. Petals began to form as the light solidified, taking its form as a circle.

When he was done a beautiful wreath of flowers was left beside the ones Fleur'd left.

"Hope I haven't let you down yet mom…dad…" He said quietly.

He'd almost got up to go when something caught his eye. There was a symbol..an oddly familiar one at that which he hadn't noticed marked there beside his parent's names.

An odd triangular symbol.

Was it glowing?

"He frightens me sometimes…" Remus muttered softly, watching from a few feet away as Harry weaved the wreath out of nothing. The boy was not using a wand…never before had he seen a person control magic so fluidly without one.

"Trace can't get him eh?"

"Not when he's not using the wand." Sirius chuckled before sobering up. "He's taking it hard isn't he?"

"Yes." Fleur murmured. "'E blames 'imself for zem."

"I was afraid of that." Sirius said heavily. "What about you?" She looked up. "You doing alright?"

She took a while to reply, turning her attention back to the darkness where Harry was. She could just make out his silhouette. "Do you really zink 'is parents would 'ave accepted me?"

"What are you talking about? 'Course they would! They'd be foolish not to!" Sirius said indignantly while Remus nodded.

"But…" She bit her lip. "I'm…you know…what if-"

"Fleur." Remus cut in sternly. "Don't be ridiculous. Believe me when I say that neither James or Lily are like any of the people here."

"They're not like any of the old fashioned bigoted idiots here." Sirius added. "Lily…she knows what it's like being discriminated for being different. And James…hell, James would've just been ecstatic to have you as a daughter in law."

"Unfortunately that does sound a lot like him." Remus said fondly. "We wouldn't hear the end of it. James and Sirius are like chips off the same block…you see the way this old mutt acts. James was no different." He smiled at her. "Besides, we've seen how Harry is around you…and you him. That alone is enough to satisfy us. I know Lily only wants the best for him…can't look any further than you."

She smiled embarrassedly at that. "Thank you." She said quietly before falling silent. The darkness had gotten thicker now, she could only just barely make out Harry's silhouette.

"You're still as in the dark about what happened as we are?" Sirius asked after a while, crossing his arms as he stared at her.

"I do not know what to make of eet." She murmured. "Ze last zing I remember zat day was meeting zat man. 'Arry seemed to trust 'im."

"So did we…" Remus muttered, exchanging a look with Sirius.

"When I woke up to find 'im gone I just felt so 'elpless. 'Onestly? I don't remember much after zat eizzer…I know my mozzer 'ad a 'ard time wiz me after zat."

"What happened?" Sirius asked softly.

"I could not feel 'im." She said simply, a pained expression on her face. "My magic…our magic 'as long since intertwined. What terrified me ze most was zat I felt nozzing from 'im. Eet eizzer meant our bond was broken or…" She couldn't find it in her to utter the last word although judging by the looks on their faces they knew what she couldn't say.

"I don't expect you to understand…I don't know if eet's just zat I am what I am but ze zought of losing 'im is just…" Her voice broke as she looked away, hiding her face from view.

"Fleur…" Sirius gently patted her shoulder. "Don't think like that. He's not someone who'd go down that easily." When she refused to look at him he forced her to turn around, his heart breaking at the vulnerable look on her face. "You won't lose him."

"I just can't 'elp feeling like somezing terrible will 'appen." She whispered, tears forming in her eyes as he put his arm around her, pulling her towards him.

"That's what we're there for right? We won't let it happen. We won't let anything happen to either of you." He caught Remus's eye who nodded grimly.

He may not understand the depths of Veela magic or love, but he understood the pain of loss. It was not something he would allow her to feel.

"Harry…" The woman whispered, her hauntingly beautiful green eyes staring at him, holding him frozen in place.

He could hardly believe it. The past few days had him questioning his own sanity but this…this was nothing more than a cruel joke.

These two people in front of him should not be here.

He backed away slightly. That small action seemed to distress the woman as her eyes filled with tears, taking a small step towards him.

"Harry…please…I waited so long." Her voice was so familiar yet it was not something he wanted to hear. What was this? Had Death not done enough? Was he going as far as to torment him with these illusions?

And yet, he couln't help himself as the woman took another step closer. He wanted her to be real. The longing on her face was reflected in his.

"You've grown into such a heartbreaker." She said softly, her hands coming to rest on either side of his cheeks, hovering over them as if she was afraid to make contact. A happy but somewhat melancholic smile on her face. "I wish I had been there to watch…"

He tried to speak, the words dying in his throat at the look on her face. There was such a deep, impenetrable sadness in her eyes that was rendering him speechless.

He flinched when he felt her cover his hand with both her own gently, the warmth forcing his ironclad belief that this was an illusion to waver.

"Please." The beseeching tone in her voice making his heart throb painfully. "This is my only chance at seeing you in person. Let me hold you as a mother would…just once."

Before he knew it she'd pulled him into her arms, familiar warmth flooding through him as his vision was obscured by the mass of red that was her hair. His hands trembled slightly as they came up slowly, hesitating winding themselves around her making her look at him in slight surprise.

"Mom?" He asked softly.

"My boy…" She whispered, a radiant smile on her face as she touched the side of his face, a somewhat timid motion, as if afraid he was going to swat her hands away. "My little Harry…you grew up to be more handsome than I could've hoped for..."

He smiled slightly, letting go of his doubts as gazed upon his mother. His memories…his photos, none of them did any justice. He could finally see what Sirius meant when he spoke of his 'unnerving resemblance to Lily'. They both had the same facial structure, the same shaped eyes, the same high cheekbones.

Her hair wasn't as bright as the Weasley's, instead it was a much darker shade which he noticed was about the same as Fleur's disguise.

Overall he could see why so many people thought his mother was beautiful.

"You little charmer." She murmured. To his surprise and embarrassment he could see the light flush on her face.

"You can…?"

"Oh…it's not like I wanted to intrude on your privacy though!" She hurriedly added, looking somewhat stricken. "I just-…I'm sorry, I mean-it's the first time I saw you, and I let my curiosity get the best of me so I- "

"No! I don't mind! I mean-It's alright, it's just a thought…" He trailed off as a booming laugh made both of them look to the side.

"Just like you to the core Lils…you two could've gone on like that for hours." A surge of happiness coursed through him as he recognized his father who was gazing at the two of them fondly. "And for heaven's sake I know we have the minor inconvenience of being departed souls and all that but c'mon…you two are so awkward it's like watching-"

"Shut up James." Lily mumbled as she glared at her husband who was smirking victoriously.

"Yeah well with the way you watched him over the years one does begin to wo-"

"James…" She growled, making him back away rapidly while Harry watched the proceedings happily.

It seems even in death his father still managed to crawl under her skin.

"Alright…taking it too far, sorry ma'am, won't happen again." Lily muttered something under her breath but he didn't seem to care. "Well? I did give you some alone time with him. So…"

She reluctantly let go of him, letting James lift him into his embrace. He'd never thought his father was so tall though...he was easily taller than Sirius by an inch or two. "You're awfully light…Seeker material of course." James commented, playfully flicking at one of the long strands of hair coming down the side of his face.

"I was on the team." Harry said somewhat timidly making his father smile down at him.

"I know…I've watched you just like your mum has." He said fondly, ruffling his hair and grinning as Harry almost immediately tried to flatten it to no avail. "You fly so much better than I could've dreamed about at your age."

"Thanks." Harry muttered embarrassedly, taking note of how his mother's hand which was on his shoulder. She really didn't seem to want to let go of him longer than necessary, something which James seemed to have noticed.

"Lily…you know we don't exactly have all the time in the world." He said gently, all trace of the earlier playfulness gone as he gazed at his wife.

"I know." She murmured before sighing. "And I'm sure you have questions?" She asked, looking at Harry who nodded.

"A little bit yeah…" They nodded in acceptance. Taking it as his cue he asked the question he knew he didn't really want the answer to. "Is this real?"

"Right to the point eh?" James said approvingly. "Very well, what was the last thing you remember?"

"Being in front of…well…your…" He didn't want to say it but James nodded.

"You recognize this place?" Now that he mentioned it, yes, he did. Even without the ashen tree he'd gotten used to seeing there was no mistaking this place, the faint yet distant sound of the sea.

However, this could not be the same place he knew. During his excursions to this place be it in his dreams or by some interference of death, it had always looked like it was in an eternal night, the ashen tree which had mysteriously disappeared always looming like a bad omen, standing out in the darkness.

Unlike in his previous experiences, this place the three of them were standing in was bathed by a warm orange glow. The sky above them cloudless and containing no heavenly body to explain where the light was coming from. It was oddly unsettling.

"Death's realm?" He asked quietly.

"Well…technically, yes." James muttered, scratching his head.

"We're at the connection…the place between life and death." Lily said. "You say you've been here before?'

"I think so." He replied making them exchange a troubled look. "Why am I here? How did I even get here?"

"You're not really here Harry." She said gently. "But at the same time you are...in a way at least. Time doesn't hold any weight here…what you're seeing, feeling, it's all real and yet it can't be labeled as such because time is not being spent here." She smiled slightly before adding "am I making even a little bit of sense?"

"Does he look like he understands?" James said cheerfully before catching the look on his face and the humor evaporating rapidly. "Dear lord you do don't you…" He trailed off, looking between his wife and son.

"Well…not all of it." Harry said truthfully. "But yeah…I think I can understand a bit."

"Great, even the kid understands more than me and I'm the one who's dead."

"James!" Lily said in a scandalized tone but Harry couldn't help smiling. This was exactly how he'd imagined his parents would act, based on what he'd heard about them. Sirius had always said James was his brother in all but blood...it was not hard to spot the unnerving similarities.

For a few moments he caught a glimpse of the life he could've had. This was how it would've been…if they'd still been alive.

This moment would always be real to him, no matter what.

"Harry…" Lily said softly, bringing him out of his stupor. With a start he realized she might've caught a glimpse into what he'd been thinking. "We will have time for that. We'll be waiting right here for you to come back when you have fully lived out your life. We won't leave for the next part of the journey without you. You have other people to think about too."

He nodded slowly, not trusting himself to speak. He'd done it again. For this one mad moment he'd considered not going back, forgotten who he would be leaving behind.

"That's what I wanted to get you here for." She said gently, tears beginning to form as her voice shook. "I watched over you. I saw what was happening. It was our own personal hell…watching it all happen and not being able to do a thing about it." James put his arm around her but to Harry's dismay he could see even his father looked like he was having a hard time staying composed.

"The one thing we wanted for you was happiness. I waited, hoping that you'd find someone…a teacher, Remus, Dumbledore…anyone. I know none of them would've hesitated to help you but you had already stopped letting anyone in."

"But then she came." She smiled fondly at something behind him making him look over his shoulder. He was slightly shocked when he found himself standing back at the darkened graveyard where he was earlier, even more so when he found himself standing right next to Fleur who was kneeling on the floor beside him, placing the wreath of flowers on top of the tombstones. Only this time he could clearly hear what she whispered; "I'll take care of him."

"I may have had my reservations before…" Lily murmured as all three of them watched her get up as the image faded away.

"Reservations?" James suddenly cut in with a bemused expression. "I know you. You were worried right from the start when these two got together."

"Really?" Harry asked quietly, narrowing his eyes slightly at his mother who glared back at him. This was something he could not forgive, nor something he would back down from.

"I am your mother." She said evenly. "While I may not be a bigoted fool it worries me when my only son starts consorting with a woman older than him." Silence fell at her words as both mother and son stared unrelentingly at each other, neither willing to back down.

Or so they thought until Lily finally lowered her eyes, letting him speak.

"You realize…" He started quietly. "…that what you think of her doesn't matter to me right?"

"Yes. And I would have been offended if you had hesitated." Her eyes softened as a brief hint of a smile returned to her face at his confused look. "I never said I do not approve. In fact Fleur Isabelle Delacour is the only woman I can accept as my daughter in law. I would have been severely disappointed if you had done anything to turn her away."

"Heh…he's already done everything humanly possible that would've sent an ordinary girl running." James sniggered. "That girl is something special."

"She is." He muttered embarrassedly. He was acutely aware of his mother's teasing gaze on him now. She'd been testing him and he'd walked right into her trap.

"Oh Harry….It's nothing to be embarrassed about." She ruffled his hair affectionately. "What you and Fleur have is something rare. I have been watching how much you changed under her influence and I've seen how much she cares about you. We couldn't have hoped for someone better to stand beside you."

"But…" James cut in, all traces of earlier amusement gone. "It all means nothing if you don't allow her to stand by you. You're as stubborn as your mother…" He glanced at his wife who nodded silently, her eyes dimming. "…let go of your fears, pride, anything that's holding you back from reaching out to people…especially her."

"Listen to him." She said softly. "The times that are coming will be difficult. You are strong…far stronger than I or your father put together. But it's not enough…it will never be enough."

He chuckled humorlessly. "That's what they told me the first time." Silence fell for a few moments before he sighed. "Why…why me?"

Lily smiled softly, brushing away a few strands of hair from his eyes. "Because you're our son. You were destined for things some of us can only dream of."

"What if I just wanted to be normal." He asked quietly.

"If only we could have a say in it." She murmured. "Your father passed his legacy to you as I did mine."

"But…" James interjected. "We made mistakes and we're paying for them by not being there to guide you. For that I…we, ask for you forgiveness."

"I can never be angry at you." He honestly couldn't, and the smiles on his parent's faces made it all the more worth it.

"And that is part of what makes you so special." Lily whispered, eyeing him adoringly. "This is why so many of us are willing to sacrifice everything for you."

"Yes…and today will be the last time you blame yourself for anything." James said mock sternly although his eyes looked suspiciously watery, something Lily seemed to have noticed with the way she was smirking at him. "I will not have you living in guilt because of what we did."

"I'll try."

"Good." A new voice muttered quietly from behind him making him jump.

He hadn't even noticed this figure standing behind him. At first glance he thought this was Death, but that assumption was blown away (quite literally in fact) by the black wings that were flared out behind it.

"We're running out of time." It…she said. The voice that was coming from this figure was not as low and disembodied as Death's.

No…it was soft, quiet and distinctly feminine.

And familiar.

"Can't we just have a bit more time?" Lily asked but the figure shook her head.

"No." She said sharply. "Any longer and he'll know."

Harry could not tear his eyes away from the newcomer. This feeling…he could not explain it. She didn't seem to want to look at him or even acknowledge him and the cowl covering her face was making it impossible for him to catch even a glimpse of her but everything about her screamed something at him.

"Lily…" James murmured softly.

Lily gave no indication she'd heard him, instead pulling Harry to her, distracting him from the newcomer momentarily.

"Who is she?" He whispered in her ear as she hugged him, eyeing the figure standing motionless beside his father.

"Someone that knows you." She murmured back, drawing back slightly so their eyes met.

"But-" She shook her head violently, cutting him off.

"You will get the chance to ask her yourself in the future. Now's not the time." She glanced back as she said this, the figure nodding ever so slightly.

"There's never going to be a right time is there..." He muttered out loud despite himself, letting a bit of bitterness seep into his voice as he tore his eyes away from her, instead focusing on his mother and father, the latter who patted his shoulder reassuringly. It felt like for every answer that he'd get close to obtaining, it'd be wrenched away from him, piling him with more questions.

"We cannot tell you what you need to find for yourself Harry…" Lily said softly. "It's your fate that's on the line now…it is something only you can change."

"There are rules that bind those of this world." The other feminine voice spoke, forcing his eyes back to the black hooded figure. "We cannot interfere with the lives of the living without facing retribution. Your parents cannot afford it…but I can."

"What do you get from it?" To his slight annoyance she simply ignored him, choosing instead to look at his parents.

"Think our time's up." James muttered.

"But-"

"No buts. We kept you here long enough. Any longer and the others are going to realize you're gone."

"You will find answers soon enough Harry." Lily smiled bitterly, getting up and taking a few steps away from him. "Our only hope is you don't resent us when you do."

The light was starting to fade. All around them the surroundings were blurring out of existence, time itself seeming to speed up as the stars in the sky were rapidly changing their alignment.

He tried to move but it felt like something on the ground was holding him in place. He glanced back at his parents and the hooded figure who was standing just behind them, watching him intently.

"We're so proud of you." Lily whispered, his father nodding in agreement, his arm around her. "We won't stop watching over you and no matter which path you choose, we will try to guide you as best we can."

"Will I ever see you again?" He asked desperately, and to his surprise, he found himself wanting an answer from not just his parents, but from the silent watcher behind them.

To his even greater surprise, it was the latter who answered before the darkness consumed them all, her voice as gentle as his mother's had been, perhaps even more so.

"I will find you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27 2 1
Little Harry wants to stay with his newest hero. **Really cute little story megyal on Ao3
409K 10.6K 55
The Triwizard Tournament is finally revived after centuries, but this time, seven champions are called for the task. Although this sounds exciting to...
421K 18.4K 85
in which a dark and little bit twisted malfoy sister finds herself staring at a very beautiful blonde witch. violetta malfoy has never been in love b...
51K 1.3K 27
When found in the abyss of jealousy, betrayal, lies, curses, and doubts, the brightest witch of her age wonders whether love is worth it all.