Moonlit Shadows

By Avid_Rdr

20 years have passed since we last visited Blood Mountain. Life has continued on, but for some of Blood Mount... More

Dead Ends
Home Is Where Your Heart Is
Just Like Old Times
On Your Own Terms
Arrivals
Destiny
Getting to Know You
Old Aquaintances And New
Whom Can One Trust?
Moonlight
The Transgressions of a Few
Unforgotten Memories
Confusion
Treating the Wounds
When You Can't Stand To Be Apart
Distractions
Missing Luna
A New Plan
Connections
Getting To Know You
Come Back
Sounds of Grief
The Voice In Your Head
Today We Fight
Doubts and Decisions
The Full Moon
Pain and Hope
To London, To London
To Meet The King
So Close, Yet So Far
Things To Be Done
Sometimes It Takes A Vampire
Betrayal
Every Problem Has A Solution
Suspicion
Unleashed
Live To Fight And Fight To Live
Know Your Enemy
How Does One Win in a Bloodbath?
And It Ends in a Reckoning
The Slowest Way To Die Is To Wait For A Loved One To Live
Appreciation for the Mundane
Narrow Misses
Wounds Can Be Healed By Truth
Finally Home
Wedding Jitters
Two Become One
Overwhelm
The Best Is Yet To Come
Epilogue

Friends Don't Let Friends Travel Alone

400 51 85
By Avid_Rdr

Jungkook wanted nothing more than to grab Jaci by the hands, and beg her not to go anywhere. But the look in her eyes told him that she needed to go.

His hands trembled with frustration and worry. He had so many questions running through his mind and no one that could help him answer them.

He wandered aimlessly through the waning moonlight, finding himself on the bank of Blood River. Looking across the water, he looked longingly at the snow banks just off in the distance. It called to him like a siren of the ocean.

Soon, he had shifted, tearing through his clothing, and rushing across the cool water to the familiar feel of home under his paws. He felt different as he ran, his feet left bigger prints, and his fur felt thicker and fuller.

He had become the Alpha of the Blood Mountain Pack. His wolf must be practically preening, fully releasing everything he had held back as a mere lower ranking pack member.

Jungkook pulled the frosty air into his lungs as he ran, snow flying up as his paws pushed into, and pulled out of the snow. Despite the frigid temperature of the snow, it felt like a warm blanket after getting caught in some rain. He needed this familiarity around him right now. He needed this run. He needed...

Taehyung.

Jungkook froze and sniffed the air. His golden eyes darted around the twilight of the morning, and he made out a dark shadow among the pines.

Taehyung had just finished a meal. The recognizable slouch of his guilt-ridden shoulders and the coppery scent of blood was all Jungkook needed to know that his friend was going to need some moral support very soon.

He sniffed the air, looking for any sign that Sunny was nearby, but he found none. Taehyung was apparently out on his own.

Jungkook stepped carefully toward the scene, casually glancing at the sight of the dead body laying face down in the snow.

"If you had been here a few moments earlier you would have made me break my promise," came the raspy voice of a satiated vampire.

"That promise was always garbage," said Jungkook, his own voice raspy from lack of use. "I know you do what you do to survive. You're nothing like Yoongi, hyung."

Taehyung turned his head to look over his shoulder at Jungkook. "You always know just what to say."

Jungkook scoffed and flopped down into the snow. "Why are you out so early?"

Taehyung sighed and pursed his lips, his hands resting casually on his hips. "I got a bit peckish. I couldn't let this fine specimen find its way back down the mountain. I suppose it was my lucky day."

His pale hand waved carelessly at the body. His expression showed the conflict between his words and his true feelings.

"Hyung, I won't sit here and let you throw up a mask to hide behind."

"Ah, technically, you're lying down. Not sitting. But let's not split hairs."

"Yes, yes, the insufferable Kim Snark. It's good to be home."

Taehyung finally turned around completely and trudged through the snow to Jungkook. "I could ask you the same question. Why are you up so early? And why are you here? Shouldn't you be with Jaci?"

Jungkook turned his face away from the piercing gray eyes of the vampire. Taehyung always knew when Jungkook was lying by just one look. Jungkook never did learn how to keep a straight face, and therefore, any lie he told to the vamp was called out right away. He may as well be honest.

"It's not been a good night," he mumbled, standing to his feet.

Taehyung hummed and nodded. "I see. Well, carry this poor lost soul to the dump and I will let you tell me all about your troubles."

Jungkook snarled in disgust but allowed Taehyung to lay the body across his back. "You're the one with inhuman strength, and somehow I am still conned into carrying your garbage around. Also, I didn't know listening to my issues was such a privilege."

He couldn't help the bite in his tone. After the night he'd had, the last thing he wanted to do was lug some desiccated body to Taehyung's body dump.

"Fine, big baby," mumbled Taehyung. He grabbed the body and flopped it over his own shoulders with incredible ease. "Let's go."

Jungkook followed along beside Taehyung, walking the familiar path to the burial ground. He felt conflicted on where to start with his terrible night, but he finally settled on starting with the good news.

"So, Hoseok nominated me for pack Alpha."

Taehyung paused his steps and stared down at the wolf. "Seriously? I thought he was a better judge of character."

Jungkook snarled at Taehyung's smirk and the pair continued walking. "The pack accepted me. I'm the new Alpha of the Blood Mountain Pack."

Taehyung kept walking, but Jungkook snuck a glance at the proud smile on his face. "My little pup is finally grown up. Honestly though, Kook, I am very proud of you. You'll be a fabulous Alpha. Wait, doesn't that mean Jaci could end up as your Luna?"

Taehyung had stopped walking again and turned to look quizzically at Jungkook.

Jungkook kept walking a few more paces and then halted. "She's leaving sometime today."

"Leaving? Why? What did you do?" said Taehyung, using his fatherly tone that would have made his children, had he ever had any, quiver in their shoes.

Jungkook spun around, his tail and frustration both high. "I did nothing! Absolutely nothing! Hyung, she didn't shift! Nothing happened and I feel like I'm being blamed for it!"

"Did she say she blames you?"

"No?"

"Then stop assuming. You know it just makes you look like an ass." Taehyung resumed walking. "Any idea why she didn't shift?"

Jungkook trudged beside him, the weight of his current situation bearing down on him. "No idea. I saw her just a while ago, however, and she said she's going to London. Something about someone who can give her answers."

"Hm, sounds sketchy."

"I know, but what do I do? I just became Alpha. I can't leave my pack to chase after her. I have to be responsible."

"Responsibility be hanged. You are letting your future fly away to London,  to see someone who is a stranger to you. And that someone might have an answer? What if it's not the answer she wants, or you want for that matter? You need to tag along. I would insist on it, if I were you."

Taehyung flopped the dead body down into a grave plot and with a flick of his hand, the wind increased and shoved the piled up dirt into the hole.

"Why didn't you ever do that when I lived here? You always had me shovel that stuff!"

Taehyung shrugged and crossed his arms. "I was helping you build character, Jungkook. And a sound work ethic."

Jungkook growled his irritation out and the pair walked towards the house. "I would insist, but I get the feeling she doesn't want me tagging along. Not to mention I didn't leave on a good note."

"Please tell me you did not lose your temper."

"Not quite. But I did get agitated. I just don't understand why she won't let me help her. I mean, yeah, I don't know what to do, but why can't she let me just stay by her side and share my strength?"

Taehyung sighed. "I really thought I had gotten through to her during our talk. Something must have changed."

"I don't know what happened. All I know is when she didn't shift, her demeanor changed."

Taehyung tramped up the stairs, stomping his boots off with each step. "Maybe my wife can help us. She's a woman."

Jungkook rolled his eyes at Taehyung's weak logic, but followed him inside. But not before he shook the snow off his coat. He dared not trek snow into Sunny's house again.

"Tae, I just finished my coffee- Kookie! You're here!" Sunny rushed over, past Taehyung, and reached down to scruff Jungkook's furry ears.

"I really hate when she ignores me for you," grumbled Taehyung, glaring at Jungkook.

"Oh, is my Tae Tae feeling left out?" Sunny reached up and grabbed Taehyung's ears, rubbing her fingers over them until he grimaced and pulled away.

"First, we discussed this. Never call me that in front of him. Secondly, you know playing with my ears gets me excited." Taehyung pulled his wife into a hug and held her tightly to his chest. "But first things first, Kookie has a problem."

"It's not just a problem, Hyung, it's a major issue!" Jungkook jumped up onto his old bed and laid down with an adorable wolffish huff.

Sunny frowned and pulled away from her husband. "What's going on? Is everything okay with Jaci?"

"No, everything is not okay," grumbled Jungkook.

"She didn't shift," said Taehyung.

"She didn't?"

"No, she did not," said Jungkook bitterly.

"Okay, so how is that a major issue? I see how it could be a bit inconvenient, but nothing to be this upset over." Sunny sat down on the bed next to Jungkook.

"She wants answers as to why she didn't shift. I don't care if she ever becomes a werewolf, I like her a lot, noona. She's all I think about. Why is she so worried over this? Why is she risking her safety by going to see some stranger in London?"

"Wait, she's going to London?" Sunny's jaw dropped open.

"Yes. Said someone there can help her. I don't know who," whimpered Jungkook.

"I told him to go along in case she needs protection," said Taehyung. He had seated himself in his rocking chair, slowly going back and forth.

"She doesn't want me to come. I could sense that much. I don't even know if she will even come back."

Sunny reached her hand up and stroked the black fur between Jungkook's ears. "Hm, your fur is thicker."

"Oh, he's the Alpha now," said Taehyung proudly.

"Wait! You are?! Jungkook, that is amazing news! Congratulations!"

"Thanks," sighed Jungkook, feeling less excited than before.

"Well, now, that changes everything," said Sunny.

"How so?" asked Jungkook.

"Jaci didn't shift and you're the new Alpha. Maybe, just maybe, she's worried she can't be an effective Luna."

Jungkook cocked his head to the side and stared at Jaci. "You really think that's it? You don't think she just wants an excuse to leave me? She hasn't had a change of heart?"

"Now, Kookie, don't take my words and run with them. It's just a theory. We can only know by asking Jaci herself."

"I didn't ask her for her reasons. I was more upset that she was leaving right away without even letting me try to help."

"Well, talk to her. Catch her before she leaves. Don't try to hold her back, just ask for a little clarification on why she wants these answers. Okay?"

Jungkook let out a heavy sigh and moved to get off the bed.

Sunny's phone buzzed and she pulled it out of her pocket. "Huh. It's a text from Hoseok."

Jungkook's ears perked and Taehyung's chair stopped rocking.

Sunny read the message aloud. "If Jungkook is there, tell him Jaci left. I don't know when, exactly, but she's cleaned out her cabin and gone. Tracks lead down the mountain. That's all I know."

Sunny looked at Jungkook. "Why are you still here? Get out there and find your girl!"

Jungkook ran to the door but stopped short. "She wanted to go alone. I need to respect that."

Sunny groaned and rolled her eyes. "Taehyung, talk some sense into him. He's being too nice."

"Well," said Taehyung, rising slowly from his seat, "she said she wanted to go alone. So, let her. But that doesn't mean he can't go to London on a different flight. Technically, she'd still be alone, per se."

Jungkook growled his disapproval while Sunny pinched the bridge of her nose. "You're impossible," she muttered.

Jungkook pondered Taehyung's words for a moment, then his ears perked up again. "Wait, Hoseok could serve as interim Alpha until I get back. The Pack has no trouble with him so it wouldn't be a problem, unless he just wants to get out of town right away. But also, I don't want to go alone. You guys need to come with me."

"What are you? Five? Be a man, Jungkook," said Taehyung, frowning.

"He's such a homebody. I'm sure you remember that," whispered Sunny. "Tae, our friend needs us. We can't refuse this. Plus, I haven't been out of Korea in over twenty years. I think a change of scenery could be romantic for us," she said, winking slyly at Taehyung.

"I can't get out of this, can I?"

"Nope," she said, smiling victoriously.

"Fine," he whined. "But wolfie there gets his own room."

"Wolfie?" barked Jungkook.

"Yes, wolfie. Grow a pair and be a man, and I'll upgrade you to wolf status," teased Taehyung.

"She will probably be traveling normally. Do we still have the info for that airline Namjoon told us about?" murmured Sunny, walking around the room, looking through various books and papers.

"It's in the bedroom. In the bottom drawer of my nightstand. All the important stuff is there," said Taehyung.

Jungkook observed the look of sadness that passed over Taehyung's face when Sunny mentioned Namjoon. Apparently, the pain from Namjoon's death was still very fresh with Taehyung.

"I'm running home to pack. I'll meet you guys at the foot of the mountain in an hour, okay?" Jungkook looked at Taehyung, his eyes wide and hopeful for the first time that day.

Taehyung turned the knob on the front door and opened it, letting Jungkook run out into the snow. "Deal," he called after him.

To Taehyung, this trip felt like a goose chase, but he was never going to let Jungkook go on said goose chase without backup.

"You're such a softie for him," said Sunny, smiling as she wrapped her arms around his waist from behind.

"It's your fault I've gotten so soft. A few decades ago I would have shoved him out the door and locked it behind him."

Sunny giggled and laid her face on his back. "I don't believe you for a second."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 287 26
A vampire, a werewolf. the werewolf has a mate and so does the vampire. Of course, it was each other. But what if the werewolf had another mate that...
875 75 14
[COMPLETED] Jungkook and Jimin had to stay with Ji Ah and her family but they are not ordinary human beings. They have to hide the fact that they are...
278K 16.8K 33
Jungkook is the most loved and prized omega in the werewolf world. Son to the Red Lotus pack, he is kind, loveable and beautiful. All he wants is to...