The Exiled Gem

By Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... More

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

Let's Reunite

181 15 4
By Maplebell

It was complete darkness outside, by the time they had set out on their five kilometer long journey. Diana had spent some time with her terrorist-men. She'd asked a man to nurse Alexandra's wounds, so now, there was bandage on her head, another on her cheek with some thick herbal paste beneath it that made her cheek burn horribly and other small bruises were all looked after.

'I'm-' Alexandra said, when she considered it safe enough to talk, 'Not Emma. I'm Mabel- like you're not Celyn. You're Diana,'

Diana didn't reply. She seemed lost in thought.

'How - how did you end up their - leader?' Alexandra then asked, limping by Diana, 'They didn't - kill you?'

'They would have,' Diana said finally, her eyes were glassy - expressionless, 'I passed through the same thing as you. I killed sixty five men. Fifty armed. Then, the man I killed today - their leader - he was Jason - their head for the past fifty one years, I dueled him. Dagger to dagger. I won.'

'You ... won,' Alexandra said, 'And then?'

'He offered me a place as his partner,' Diana said, 'I became one of them.'

Alexandra didn't reply, with all her mixed feelings, she wasn't sure she could. She couldn't imagine what sort of life Diana had led for so many years. She was ... what? Thirty five, now? Yes. For the past nineteen years ... what all she could have done. What all might have happened. Alexandra had thought her life was difficult. If it was, then Diana's life had been hell.

'I wouldn't like to talk of it. These men, the terrorists? I've asked them to return to Vedessa and join the army- in small groups, so that they raise no suspicion. They will. They have been brought up like that - all of them were abducted when they were really young. They are hammered to never disobey the leader. They will obey even if I ask them to fall on their swords. I don't care anymore. All these years, the only thing that has kept me alive - stopped me from becoming like Jason, was Mark's memory. He always used to say he'd end the terrorism. The shine in his eyes, the - the way he spoke everything in one breath-' Diana's lower lip quivered. Alexandra put a hand on her shoulder, 

'We could sit down for a while,' Alexandra suggested, as gently as she could.

'Ye-s,' Diana said, sitting down on the pavement, and looking down, 'I was - I was so alone without him-' She said, taking in a deep breath, Alexandra could dimly see shining tears on her cheeks, Diana put her dagger down and pulled of her left boot, massaging her sole, 'I didn't know whether I had succeeded in saving him or - not. I was such a bad sister, I was always abusing him. Or were we fighting? I wouldn't know, he just never won - didn't cry either, though came close to it several times. Mabel,' she said, holding her hand in both of her own, 'I have never seen Mark cry! And he hasn't seen me do it either!'

She was not crying anymore, she was laughing.

'I have,' Alexandra smiled. 'But you are luckier. He looks rather bad at it.' She assured. 'And Diana,' Alexandra added, finally finding her own voice. 'You are the strongest woman I've ever met. And Mark's your brother. Once he has said something, he does it. You've had so much pain. But even the darkest nights end in dawn - this is the dawn. Don't let the past haunt you. Those days were tough, but you were tougher. See, they are over, and you can watch the beautiful Sun rise now. Look,' Alexandra said, pointing to their House, 'That's where the Sun is - that's where our Brother is. Come on,' She said, standing up, 'He's a bit hurt, but after seeing you nothing's going to hurt him anymore.'

'Hurt?' Diana asked, 'How?!'

Alexandra recounted the previous night's incident... when she was done, Diana looked at the Blue Lily pendant in her hand, 'This,' she said, 'belongs to you, Mabel.' And before Alexandra could protest, she put it around her neck,

'But-' Alexandra began,

'Keep quiet,' Diana said, smirking now. How swiftly emotions changed! 'We'll surprise him.' She added.

Alexandra grinned, 'Good idea.'

* * *

Watson opened the door - he had a stack of empty glasses in one hand - Kitchen duty. Alexandra stood in front, Diana waited behind.

One look at Alexandra and Watson dropped all his glasses.

'What's the matter?!' Asked Daniel, sticking his head out from behind the chairs of the dining table, where he was penning down another letter. He had one look at Alexandra, dropped his quill and stood up.

Great welcome, Alexandra thought, I must be looking bad.

'What - what happened to you?!' He demanded.

'Oh so much-' Alexandra said, 'So, so much- but, I've got someone special with me...'

'Not another terrorist- please, not another terrorist!' Watson said, bending down to gather his glasses.

'Not another terrorist.' Alexandra agreed, 'Only, Mark Fannel's real sister.'

Watson had only managed to collect his glasses and stand up, when he heard her and the things tumbled out of his grip once more. He showed no inclination to pick them up anymore.

Daniel sat back down, a hand to his chest - his mouth slightly open and his eyes round in shock. The letter could have been burnt in front of him and he wouldn't have noticed.

'I'm Diana Fannel. Nice to meet you,' she told Watson - who looked like he had swallowed a lemon whole.

'Elf - you should open the door wider and let us come in, at least.' Alexandra told him, taking the door's handle, not ungently, and opening it wider. 'Come on, Sister. They are people you should meet.

'So, you all are spies?' Diana asked, looking around at the faces.

'Pretty much ... yes.' Kane confessed, he looked the least shocked - but knowing him - Alexandra knew he was the most astonished. He still had his cloak and dagger on. 'Though - that Mark had a sister... Not doubting you - not doubting anybody - but-'

'He never told?' Alexandra asked. 'Kane, how many people would you tell-?' And Kane flashed her a dangerous look, like don't open my past. She replied with a placating gesture, 'The point is - since my very first year - I've known. Because ... well, because he saw-'

'Me in you,' Diana completed, and Alexandra nodded, she wasn't liking this being said in front of everybody - it felt like somebody was baring her, making her vulnerable. 'I see why.' Diana continued, 'But - we can do these later - can I see Mark?'

'Er-' Said Watson, 'He's with Mary,'

'Mary?' Asked Diana, 'Who Mary?'

'Your possible sister-in-law,' Said Daniel, then stopped for a small smirk, which was reciprocated by the rest of the spies and answered with a drop of jaw by Diana. 'Anyhow - they are just friends for now, so you can go ahead.'

Diana nodded, looking like she'd kill the next person who dared to stop her. Alexandra took her hand, 'Let's reunite.'

* * *

Marilyn was telling a very amusing story, perhaps. She was again perched on top of the rocking chair, her legs curled up- she was rocking and talking and laughing.

Fannel listened with this charmed look on his face- but his eyes were fixed on the crescent moon earring dangling from her left ear- like he was hypnotized by its to and fro movement as Marilyn shook her heard.

Alexandra was about to walk in, when, 'Stop,' said Diana. Alexandra obeyed - anyhow disobeying a tall, fighter girl with a lethal jagged blade in her sheath was never a good idea.

Diana peeked in - her eyes fixed on her brother's. Alexandra gave her the time to drink in every feature - match it with what she would have last seen.

'Marilyn should not know we're spies,' Alexandra whispered to her. Diana nodded, then she stepped back-

'Let's go - I just hope, I just hope - the shock won't do anything serious to him.'

Alexandra laughed. Fannel heard it and he turned towards them, tearing his eyes away from Marilyn's earring - Marilyn looked back herself.

Fannel stared, as Diana stood there, not doing anything.

Alexandra stayed behind- Marilyn looked at her, a quizzical look, as though asking at one time- Who is this? And WHAT happened to you?!

Alexandra walked over to her, putting a hand around her and gestured shh.

'Mark...' Diana finally said, Fannel didn't seem to register. He kept staring.

'You are not- not...' He said, 'Are you?'

'Yes!' Diana said, her eyes brimming over and her voice sounding like she had that familiar lump in her throat, 'Oh dear,' she said, raising her hands till her shoulders like she wanted a hug, then dropping them back down.

'Mary,' Alexandra told the Losianish, 'Let's leave them alone,'

'But-' Marilyn began.

'Believe me, it's a good idea.' She repeated, almost pulling Marilyn up, 'Let's give them some time.'

'But-' Marilyn began again.

'Come on,' Alexandra interrupted again, pulling her away, she stopped just for one second, to put a hand on Diana's shoulder and then, they left. Closing the door behind them.

'Mabel!' Marilyn cried, finally getting herself free, 'What was that? Who was that?! It was not- not Mark's-'

'She's his sister,' Alexandra said.

Marilyn looked at her for a second, her eyeballs moving to and fro, 'Right,' She said, nodding slightly and pulling her hand free from Alexandra's grasp, 'Right,' She repeated. 'Then why was she dressed like a - I know terrorists, Mabel - and she definitely IS one. No wait- let. Me. Complete.' She said, raising a hand as Alexandra opened her mouth to explain. The perfect elder sister-in-law demeanor. 'Let me speak. What sort of a sister are you? Mark's hurt- and you're leaving him alone- locking him alone with a terrorist?! You have got no conscience- no - utterly no sense? I me-'

'Marilyn!' Alexandra said, 'Let me explain! Will you?!' Marilyn didn't reply, 'Thank you! That woman IS a terrorist. Yes. But she is ALSO his sister- his own, blood sister. And now- if you will SO kindly listen, I will tell you!'

Still no reply.

'Thank you!' Alexandra said, launching into the whole tale, trying her best to describe everything without giving up the fact that they were spies. She'd spent one whole year on learning to do this- but when the time came, it was annoyingly hard. 

'I- oh,' Said Marilyn, when Alexandra had finished, 'Oh,' she repeated, moving away and holding a table, as though for support, 'I'm - I'm really sorry... but - how all this happen- you're so hurt!'

'Er- actually I'm not hurt... I was just practicing these- medicines on myself. I'm quite interested in medicine!' Alexandra said, wow, you're lying skills are improving! Her mind approved.

'Is it? Really?' Asked Marilyn, narrowing her eyes,

'Yes! Or wait- I'll pull them off an-'

'No. No. No. I got it... yes, I believe you,' She said, 'let them stay.'

Alexandra shook her head slightly- Marilyn reminded her of Rose.

* * *

It was three in the night. And Alexandra couldn't really bring herself to lie down - to go and shut her eyes with the intention to sleep - too much was on her mind. SO much had happened in only one week. Her life had NEVER picked up this much pace.

She wasn't thinking anything. She didn't want to. For sometime, Alexandra wanted to shut off her mind and only listen to the dull beating of her heart.

Thud. Thud. Thud.

She was still alive. That day- third January- it had almost been burned into her existence. As long as she lived- Alexandra would remember it.

And then, she also felt like a huge weight had been lifted off her chest. I'll also find Diana. I don't know how, but I will. And I'll make sure you see each other again, even if that is the last thing I do!

You will see her again, I promise you.

Those weren't empty words anymore. She had done it. As she sat in the darkness of the hall, curled up in a blanket, one small lamp flickering by her, Alexandra could hear the Brother and Sister still talking in the room. It was what - eight hours? Eight hours of continuous talking... then again, they had nineteen years' worth of things to discuss. Listening to them, Alexandra felt her chest expand. Nothing gave her more happiness.

Alexandra had a fiery attitude, Alexandra was immature, but nothing made her happier than seeing the few people she loved, happy.

It's the same for everyone. You're nothing special, okay? Her vehement mind replied. But Alexandra felt happy enough to laugh at his taunts.

Definitely a He. Mind is always a He. Heart is always a She. No matter whom it belongs to.

Alexandra pulled the blanket closer around herself.

Diana found her way back. One day, maybe I will- too. Not that I'm particularly excited for it. I'm not excited for doing anything related to Doveland, actually.

Her thoughts were messy as usual. Contradictory. Chaotic. One of the main reasons she sometimes wanted to shut off her brain and simply NOT think.

'Mabel?' Diana asked, sticking her head out of the door, in a whisper. Alexandra shook out of her thoughts. First she looked here and there and then saw Diana, she stood up hurriedly,

'Yes? All fine?' She asked,

'Perfect,' Diana said, without smiling - but she looked a lot younger. A lot more ... humane. Still, she was a little emotionless, 'Mark's asking for you.'

Alexandra took a step forward, 'Sure... you aren't staying?'

'No,' Said Diana, 'I think it's my turn to sit in the dark and think about my thoughts.' She said it like it was a joke - but she still didn't smile. Those tears on the street had been ALL the emotions Alexandra had seen her with. Diana seemed pretty uncaring. She seemed like - almost like one of them. The ones Alexandra and all the other Secret Agents were supposed to exterminate. 

That, though, didn't discourage Alexandra from laughing, 'Why not,' She said, 'Have the blanket.' and she handed it to Diana, who wrapped it around herself.

They exchanged places.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

366K 2.9K 35
{{Believe in the unimaginable when it comes to love.}} Jane was just an ordinary girl when one day everything came crushing down her life. She lost h...
57 0 15
Alex was a good kid in school the only thing that made her different from everyone else were her bright blue hearing aids that had silver and gold gl...
115K 4.7K 36
Alexandra Williams doesn't like the idea of staying in a house cooking, cleaning, and sewing all day; so she leaves her home and runs into two men dr...
597 41 18
Edit: THIS IS ONE OF MY OLDER BOOKS SO IT'S MOST LIKELY GOING TO HAVE TERRIBLE GRAMMER... JUST WARNING YOU 😂 Alexandra Campbell, or as she's known a...