The Arrogance of Elegance

By afkopp

England, 1816. "Mr. Nicolas Burns was a man of high esteem, and I knew without a doubt that I would be his wi... More

Part the First
Part the Second
Part the Third
Part the Fourth
Part the Fifth
Part the Sixth
Part the Seventh
Part the Eighth
Part the Ninth
Part the Tenth
Part the Eleventh
Part the Twelfth
Part the Thirteenth
Part the Fourteenth
Part the Fifteenth
Part the Sixteenth
Part the Seventeenth
Part the Eighteenth
Part the Nineteenth
Part the Twentieth
Part the Twenty-First
Part the Twenty-Second
Part the Twenty-Third
Part the Twenty-Fifth
Part the Twenty-Sixth
Part the Twenty-Seventh
Part the Twenty-Eighth
Part the Twenty-Ninth
Part the Thirtieth
Part the Thirty-First
Part the Thirty-Second
Part the Thirty-Third
Part the Thirty-Fourth
Part the Thirty-Fifth
Epilogue
New Story on Wattpad!

Part the Twenty-Fourth

286 25 4
By afkopp

Apparently, Nicolas was going to be there. At least, not at the moment, but as soon as I stepped through the doors of Elmswood, Audra rushed to me with the so-called good news. Her brother had sent a letter a while ago, announcing the day of his return—which happened to be today to my misfortune. So, I knew I must be in-and-out before he should return. I couldn't bear to face him again with him in fear of another quarrel.

Audra brought me to the parlor where tea was already set up. Mrs. Burns was in there but quickly got up to leave us alone, though she was quite fond of children after they were introduced. Mrs. Burns even offered a special embroidery lesson for Anne which I found remarkably exciting. I knew Audra's mother was one to withhold such compliments to only such deserving, so I knew that Mrs. Burns held Anne with high regard already. She was the image of Marjorie except with different coloring, and I knew how much Marjorie meant to Mrs. Burns. There was a point when it was rumored that Mrs. Burns wanted her son to be wed to my dear Marjorie, but alas, John Irving came along and stole my sister's heart.

"How was London?" Audra asked, as one of her servants poured a tea for her.

"It was exciting," I said, thinking over all of the events of the trip. "It was a pleasant time, indeed."

"So, you got along with the children?" Audra asked, raising a brow teasingly. I chuckled before rolling my eyes. Ever since I had once said I didn't enjoy the company of children, both Audra and Nicolas would tease me about it. Yes, in the past I wasn't the best with children, but being in the company of my sister's children changed my mind completely. I couldn't imagine a life without them.

"Yes, I actually did," I said, pausing as I thought over the next words. "I chose to be a governess per my sister's request actually."

"You? A governess?" Audra said for a moment before smiling. "I never would have thought, but I am sure you did amazingly well."

"I feel in some ways I did, but I fear I spoiled them with my riches," I said.

"Not true," Anne whispered beside me which caused me to smile.

"And I feel that they taught me more than I could teach them," I said solemnly. "Some wise words of Anne made me seek the Lord for strength rather than to live in my own. Without Anne, I would have never sent you the letter, I fear. If not, it would've been delayed."

"Well, I'm glad for the wise words of Anne," Audra said, sipping her tea.

"As am I."

"As am I," Lucy Hannah repeated, trying to sip her tea while holding the cup correctly—but failing.

"Here, allow me," I said, as I corrected how she was holding the cup. "Better?"

"Much," said Lucy Hannah who's voice was muffled in the cup as she drank more. "Thank you."

"My pleasure, dear," I said, smiling at my niece.

"You will be a great mother one day," Audra stated. I looked up at her before seeing her gaze was on Lucy Hannah.

"I thank you," I said, before sipping my own tea. "You shall be a fine mother as well. Far more patient than I ever could be."

"I am just having a hard time finding anyone who I think would be a good father to my future children," Audra said quietly, taking a sip of tea.

"There is Mr. Brunswick," I said, looking at her slyly which caused her to spit out her tea in shock.

"Magdelline!" Audra said, wiping the tea off of her face with a handkerchief before beckoning the servant over. "Ambrose, could I have a new cup? Thank you."

"I was just stating an eligible bachelor," I said with a shrug. "Not to mention he also has similar interests to you. Theology, patience—"

"Patience is not an interest, Magdelline," Audra laughed, setting her handkerchief down. "Besides I feel he's got half of the female congregation madly in love with him, though he has done nothing to rile it."

"Sometimes just being a gentleman can get any young lady eager for matrimony with the said man," I stated, gently. "Isn't being a gentleman quite the most respectable trait a man could have? He could be lacking in handsome features, but if his heart is good, that is what truly matters, is it not? I'd rather marry an ugly, gentleman than the most handsome man with a rotten heart. Beauty fades, doesn't it?"

"Those are very wise words, Magdelline," Audra said quietly. "I am a bit bewildered, though. I always knew you to be intelligent, but you rarely let such wise words come from your mouth."

"It's probably because wisdom and knowledge are two very different things, Audra."

"I see," Audra said before taking the new cup of tea from Ambrose. "Thank you."

"Can I have some sugar?" Little John asked out-of-the-blue.

"Of course," Audra and I said simultaneously causing us both to laugh.

I watched as Little John went overboard of the sugar. Not one or two, but five cubes of sugar in his half-finished tea. I knew I would have to talk to him about teatime etiquette as well as health, but my thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. A footman entered the room bowing to us.

"Miss Burns, I was told by Mrs. Burns to inform you that Mr. Nicolas Burns will be here shortly. His carriage has pulled into the stable."

"Oh, good!" Audra said, brightening up at the mention of her brother. "When he comes indoors, would you escort him in here?" My eyes widened as I realized if I wished to avoid Mr. Burns, I would have to get out and fast. As soon as the footman left, I finished my cup of tea, setting it down on the platter.

"I must be going, then," I said, standing up. "Come on, children, let's finish up." The children whined a bit, but promptly obeyed.

"Magdelline, you never cease to amaze me," Audra laughed, before walking over to me with a sincere look of concern on her face. "Whatever is wrong? You have never missed a chance to see Nicolas. I know you fought once, but you used to quarrel often when we were younger, I'm sure it will be fine."

"Audra," I said, lowering my voice as the children got ready to leave. "I happened upon Nicolas in London and I also was not the kindest, though I did not say anything cruel. Though my tone was not the most welcoming. And his— his reaction to me was very bitter. I do not think he wants to see me..."

"He did not mention meeting you in London," Audra said, a bit surprised at the news. "I understand why you do not want to see him, but do you think running away from the problem will fix it? In Nicolas's eyes, it will only prove you to be more guilty than you are—and we both know you are ready to move on and are truly apologetic."

"Oh, Audra, I do not think I can face him," I said, tears threatening to form in my eyes. "I fear I shall weep and he will think it a facade. Or worse, I'll snap or accidentally let another lie slip and make matters worse."

"Stop worrying, Magdelline, and trust the Lord," Audra said, getting a bold edge to her voice which snapped me from my wallowing. "I know that things will clear up. If not, I will give Nicolas reason and he will be the one crying." She then curled her hand into a fist with a look of determination on her face. It made me laugh.

"You truly know how to make me laugh," I said, chuckling as I took a deep breath. "I think I must face him."

"Good," Audra said before the door was flung open to reveal the footman from before along with the auburn-haired young man I had been trying to avoid for far too long.

"Audra, you'll never guess who I saw in London—" Nicolas started, taking off his hat before his eyes landed on me. His eyes darkened in recognition as his demeanor shifted. "Miss Forsythe."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 401 29
(Completed) When his best friend's cousin, an heiress, is kidnapped, Lord Oscar Seymour is inclined to oblige aid in the search. In the wake of the d...
17.3K 930 18
What happens when you put two people who don't want to be together in a week-long country house party? Adelaide Kendall has hated Philip Wyndham far...
34.4K 3.1K 81
Year 2095, couples are now decided and set by the Marriage Matchmaker application, and any other romantic interaction besides this match is strictly...
522K 38.1K 46
Penniless and lacking the looks to attract a worthy husband, Jane Burton is forced to trick a man into marriage to save her family from an uncertain...