The Exiled Gem

By Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... More

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

Watson's Shortcuts

188 12 0
By Maplebell

'You think they'll talk anything important?' Alexandra asked Kane, as they sat huddled behind the bushes of a Royal Garden. Alexandra had bittersweet memories of Royal Gardens: had it not been for Royal Gardens, she wouldn't be who she was today.

They'd hurried after the Sponsor couple, the manager had cried for his money and Alexandra had flung her whole purse at him.

'THIS ISN'T EMPTY, IS IT?!' He had cried out again,

'YOU BETTER CHECK FOR YOURSELF!' She had replied. She wasn't going to cheat anybody- there were seventy five gold coins in it, their bill had been VERY HIGH: sixty gold coins, nothing given to eat even. What did couples come here for? Hearing the crows caw outside? She let the fifteen others go too, anyhow. For the unreserved table... maybe.

'Hearing is the only choice to find out,' Kane replied, squatting beside her, 'You're smaller, why don't you try to-'

'I've already told you- no!' Alexandra replied, Kane was suggesting why she didn't go ahead and hide under the Lady's HUGE gown. 'Why don't you hide in that dustbin?!' She added.

'Fine, got it, Madam! Just telling,'

'No Minister, we won't be able to do it any longer.' The Sponsor Man said, in front of them. Kane swung his head so fast in the direction, that Alexandra heard it click, he grimaced and massaged it, staring above them.

'Why, Sir?!' Asked the minister, 'I thought we had a deal!'

'We did,' The lady replied, 'But Aaron and I have decided that we don't want to fall into this mess. You're taking the fund for terrorism. If the rest of the kingdoms find out- we're going to become WANTED criminals worldwide. We're stepping back,'

'That's good- one sponsor less,' Alexandra whispered,

'Shh,' Kane said. 'Follow me- we don't need to hear more,'

'But you shall have to pay the sum of ten million gold coins- we warned you, withdrawal is only possible if you pay it,' the minister was saying in the distance, as Alexandra and Kane squat-walked behind, in the thick bushes. Kane in the lead, pushing aside any twigs or leaves stamping which could make noise.

The herbs' scent reminded Alexandra of the Palace Infirmary.

'Ten million?!' The man was saying, 'You said one million...'

'See the papers you've signed, Mr. Topsyne,' the minister shrugged, an evil hint in his voice. 'I don't know, might have been my slip of tongue- but it was ten million.'

'You're a cheat...' The lady was saying, but her voice was already too low to be heard anymore- they were at the edge of the bushes. A final look behind her shoulder, and Alexandra plunged in the orchards to her right.

'So what now?' She asked Kane, as they navigated through a series of strange-fruit bearing plants, 'We got proof there are sponsors- now?'

'We'll write to the Council of this development. They'll see what to do in that case. Our job with Sponsors is over- our trial's job is trying to locate terrorists,' Kane replied, plucking a brown fruit off one of the trees.

'That's not yours,' Alexandra rebuked,

'The hungry's name is written on every grain of food,' Kane replied, biting into it. 'That stupid Club, didn't give us anything other than the violent rose smell- this is good,' He added, looking at the fruit. 'Wonder what they call it...'

'They call it Luring Trap, I guess. Because you are certainly lured. Now come on!'

'Just a minute,'

'Shut up. And by that I mean- shut your mouth to stop eating, not speaking.' Alexandra said, pulling him out of the orchard.

Alexandra, actually though, was pretty surprised at how normal Kane was behaving, like nothing had happened. If she had told somebody of her own life story- she'd be a bit more thoughtful, had she done the right thing? Would they keep it to themselves? Kane didn't seem to have any such qualms.

It perhaps showed how valuable trust was. If it was earned, it gave you a proud tingling - every time Alexandra thought it over, rolled that thought in her mind- they trust me, she felt the same unexplained pride and happiness.

Then again, valuable things are always fragile. Trust. Respect. Love. They didn't come easy and once gone, return or replacement was impossible.

* * *

'Come on, spill it out.' Fannel urged her. But Alexandra didn't reply, staring ahead and rocking.

They were back at the house and Alexandra sat curled up in the rocking chair in one corner of a room. She'd tried to act normal, but after hearing Kane's story- It was a bit difficult.

'It's nothing- really,' Alexandra replied.

'Lying is a skill, Sister. And you have to work harder on it,'

'Look- fine, I'm telling you - I haven't told a single person about Diana and that has been our secret,'

'So you mean - you mean you have Kane's secret now, too?' He said, putting a hand on her shoulder.

'Yes. But just as in your case, I can't tell,'

'That's good.' Fannel told her. 'Gives me the idea that my own secrets are safe in your stomach. Be in the Hall in five minutes, we've got to discuss somethings Daniel found out today,'

Alexandra nodded, glad Fannel understood as much.

Nobody can defeat you until you accept defeat. Where had he learnt these philosophies?

Where there is a spiritual mind, philosophy finds its own way. Her own mind replied.

'Goodness, I'm not much better, am I?!' Alexandra exclaimed to herself.

* * *

'Look, we need to check out this Drum's Corner. It seems too important,' Daniel said, marking out a drum shaped piece of land on the Map of Losiane.

'Why?' Asked Kane, glancing at Alexandra and giving her a small nod.

'We visited it today- as normal people- tourist.' Watson said, 'and they have these huge hills there, which they keep roped off. If there ARE terrorists here, I'm sure-'

'You alone?' Fannel asked him,

'We're sure,' Watson corrected, 'That they are being trained in these hills.'

'Caution: We don't have time to waste and this could be a very normal Rope off.' Alexandra said,

'Caution rejected.' Watson replied, off-handedly. 'The place had small small encampments. And if the area goes quiet, like it did today, for a while, we can hear men grunting from those Hills. As though they are in strenuous exercise. And the hills have NO other sign of being harmful, so there's no practical reason for it being roped off.'

'I say - two of us should go and check,' Said Fannel.

'I'm staying in, tomorrow.' Kane said, raising his hands up, 'Watson and Mabel?'

'The two juniors? Alone?!' Daniel asked,

'Then you go with them, Dan.' Kane told him.

'Yes, that sounds fine, Kane. You three- I'll scout more territories and you can stay in,' Fannel nodded, putting a hand on Alexandra's shoulder. She was thankful he didn't ruffle his hair, at least.

'Agreed.' Daniel said. 'Let's book that Drum Corner for tomorrow.'

* * *

'What are we even supposed to do, here?' Alexandra asked the two men, they stood on the edge of the Drum Corner. Sure enough, not-very-high hills rose in front of them, like small boulders fixed to each other. Alexandra didn't see any encampments- but maybe they were hidden strategically.

'Our job is to only confirm that this is a terrorist training centre,' Daniel replied, 'Then write to the council. They'll see what is to be done.'

'Yes, we've got a terrorist plague to end, only, we're not the front-line warriors,' Watson said,

'We are sort of Offline Warriors- no lines exist for spies,' Alexandra said.

'Captain, you have got the drollest of ideas.'

'End it, you two,' Daniel commanded. 'Let's approach from behind.'

'How many kilometers would that be?' Alexandra asked,

'A hundred, but I've got shortcuts.' Watson replied, grinning in his mischief-maker way.

Alexandra got it hammered into her brain that day- NEVER trust Watson's shortcuts.

He first led them through a thicket of musty, damp woods- a tiny tropical forest, mostly. It was small, slashed out from the hills for some reason. And Alexandra was glad it didn't extend too much. That was fine. Then, ahead of the three spies spanned an endless abyss. The only way to cross which, was a rickety, old, narrow wooden bridge.

'No!' Cried Alexandra, having one look at it, 'This can't take our weight!'

'Of course it can,' Watson replied, 'Watch me.' And he hopped on to the wood, it creaked horribly with each step, but Watson walked uncaring of the huge, irreversible fall he'd have in case it snapped. It made Alexandra remember of the ropewalking in their first year... how much everybody had changed! He finally stepped off it on the other end, then gestured frantically from there - urging them to come on.

'After you,' Daniel said.

Alexandra had no much choice. She took a deep breath and put a foot on it. Her mind seemed to be yelling at her in panic, Have you gone crazy?! Step right back and don't you ever try this again! But for once Alexandra ignored it.

At least the bridge didn't break.

'I'm never coming with you on a trial again!' She told Watson, glad to be on solid ground once again, 'Next don't ask me to swim,'

'Not swimming,' Watson agreed, 'Only avoiding scorpions and giant spiders. That forest there? It's full of them. And that's all we have to cross. About ten kilometers and we'll be at the back of the Hills.'

'Can I just die?'

'Not an option.' Watson replied brightly, not even a little perturbed.

'Come on,' Daniel said, looking sick. 'And I'm having your salary cut, Mr. Watson - if we don't reach the Hills.'

'Keep that offer,' Watson replied, 'Because we ARE reaching them. Alive or dead.'

'I don't like the sound of that,' Alexandra swore. 'Not one bit.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

248 58 13
There was a major war that happened and now the government is trying a new experiment on the city. The main character, Alex, and her best friends who...
366K 2.9K 35
{{Believe in the unimaginable when it comes to love.}} Jane was just an ordinary girl when one day everything came crushing down her life. She lost h...
57 0 15
Alex was a good kid in school the only thing that made her different from everyone else were her bright blue hearing aids that had silver and gold gl...
511 289 22
The secret seemed to be etched across my face, the words "traitor" branded on my forehead. I wondered how everyone would feel if they knew what I'd j...