Clopwyck River (Book One)

By ya_yarnspinner

Cover image - © Gemphotography | Dreamstime.com 15-year-old Demi-Louise knew that her new life in Clopwyck Ri... More

Clopwyck River Part 1
Clopwyck River Part 2
Clopwyck River Part 3
Clopwyck River Part 4
Clopwyck River Part 5
Clopwyck River Part 6
Clopwyck River Part 7
Clopwyck River Part 8
Clopwyck River Part 10
Clopwyck River Part 11
Clopwyck River Part 12
Clopwyck River Part 13
Clopwyck River Part 14
Clopwyck River Part 15
Clopwyck River Part 16
Clopwyck River Part 17
Clopwyck River Part 18
Clopwyck River Part 19
Clopwyck River Part 20
Clopwyck River Part 21
Clopwyck River Part 22
Clopwyck River Part 23
Clopwyck River Part 24
Clopwyck River Part 25
Clopwyck River Part 26
Clopwyck River Part 27
Clopwyck River Part 28
Clopwyck River Part 29
Clopwyck River Part 30

Clopwyck River Part 9

9.8K 474 104
By ya_yarnspinner

Chapter Nine

It's a good job I've not exactly been chatty with Daria and Andrew since I arrived, as they haven't picked up on the fact that since Leo shared Clopwyck's worse kept secret with me, I've found myself speechless. I've been processing everything that he told me, and keep drawing the same conclusion; it's crazy.

            I can't argue with what I've seen though. I know my history of seeing things doesn't exactly put me in a good position to trust my own eyes, but what I saw is beyond anything that my own mind could trick me into witnessing.

            Thank God it's Friday, and I've made it through my first week of school in once piece. I've been avoiding Leo, but I think he knows it and he's been giving me the space I need to digest what he told me in the woods. Ruby on the other hand is impossible to hide from, but to be honest it's nice to have someone to talk to about anything apart from witchcraft and all-consuming power.

            "Morning, Demi." Andrew is leaning against the kitchen counter and drinking his morning coffee. I guess we're bonding in our own way as we've had the same exchange every morning for the last week. I'm glad he's here. If it were just me and Daria I wouldn't be able to check my vocal chords until I get to school. She is sitting at the table completely immersed in a newspaper. I think about what Leo told me and realise that I know so little about my sister, I'm not even sure where she was born.

            "Morning." I sit down, dismissing the briefest consideration I've ever given Daria, deciding I don't really care. I pour myself some corn flakes and watch Elliot massaging his own cereal into his hair. I smile at him, which is his cue to dunk his head into his bowl. I laugh and Andrew tries to stifle his amusement as he stops Elliot from this toddler form of a good hair wash.

            "What's on the agenda for today then?"

            "Don't know really."

            "You meeting Ruby again this morning?"

            "Yeah."

Like I have a choice. She's been waiting for me at the bottom of the drive every morning. It's like walking an enthusiastic puppy to school. She chatters the whole way and I just respond when she stops for breath. I'm growing to like her though, and not just because there's no chance of her setting me on fire or turning me into a frog.

            "Have you got anything planned for the weekend?" Andrew never gives up, even when I'm being my most monosyllabic self.

            "Not really."

No. Nothing at all. What am I supposed to do in this small town? I have no idea what the crazy inhabitants do for fun. For all I know they'll be flying around on broomsticks, whacking balls at each other.

            "Maybe you could do something with Ruby. You're welcome to invite her here." Daria glares at Andrew. "We want you to feel at home here. Its fine if you want to have friends over."

            I look at Daria who is doing her best to not make me feel at home. I mumble my thanks, clear away my bowl and shuffle into the hallway to get myself ready to meet Ruby. As I'm about to leave, Daria shouts from the kitchen.

            "Make sure you wear a coat. It's going to rain later."

            I look at my coat hanging on the bannister. It would be so easy to run back and get it, but instead I open the front door, stride out and let it slam behind me.

"Hiya!" Ruby is smiling as I emerge from the front door. I don't know why she would be so eager to get to school. I can't imagine how she's been treated here but she doesn't seem to let it bother her. I feel a pang of guilt as I remember how I used to treat people at my old school. In my old life.

            "Hiya."

We fall into step with each other and she fires questions at me about what music I like, what it is was like in Cambridge, who my friends were, what my favourite book is, a long list of questions that seem to come to her without time to draw breath between each one.  Undeterred by my one word answers, she's quizzed me on every angle of my personal life by the time Clopwyck Academy is in view.

            "I'm so glad it's Friday. What shall we do this weekend?"

            "No idea." I wonder if she's been talking to Andrew. "What is there to do?"

            "Well you could stay at mine tonight if you like? We could get a pizza and watch a film. My mum won't mind. Or we could go shopping? Or we could go hang at the coffee shop in town? Sunday night I think there's a party. Or........UHHH!!"

            Ruby stops reeling off possible activities as a small red sports car swerves into a huge muddy puddle, soaking us both. The car doesn't stop to apologise but does have time to wind down the passenger window allowing a mop of golden blonde hair to pop out and shriek with laughter. I catch my breath and shout a few choice words as Ciara and, I suspect, Sullivan drive through the school gates.

            "Are you ok?" Ruby's staring at a spot on the ground, her jaw tensed as she tries to contain the tears that are pooling in her eyes. "Don't let them get to you Ruby. It's not that bad, it's just water. And some mud."

            "God, I hate those two!"

            "I know you do. They're idiots."

            "You don't know. You have no idea what it's like to have them...every day...God, I hate them!"

            "I know." She glares at me. "Sorry." I watch the car disappear into the car park. "Was that Sullivan driving? Is he old enough to drive?"

            "No, but nobody stops him."

            "What about his parents? Don't they care?"

            "It's not that."

            "What then?"

            "They're scared of him."

            Icy fingers tickle the base of my spine and I try to suppress a long shiver as we cross over the road.

***

We walk across the playground and decide to go to the toilets around the back of the school so Ruby can get dried off. Of course the first people we see are Sullivan and Ciara who are both extremely pleased with themselves.

            "Good look, Ruby." Ciara is standing by the red car with her arms folded as Sullivan comes around from the driver's side and slings his arm around her shoulder. She fixes her eyes on Ruby and reaches her hands out in front of her, waggling her fingers. "I could wash that right off for you in two secs if you like. Just say the word."

            "No, I....." Ruby screws her eyes shut tight and I take her cue to do the same thing.

A sudden clap of thunder signals a rain cloud that opens up above our heads. Just our heads. A heavy downpour soaks us completely, and water rushes past my ears, a faint soundtrack of laughter in the background, punctuated my shrieks of delight from Ciara. There's nothing we can do but give in to the rain and Ciara's torment.

            As suddenly as it started, it stops. So does the laughter. It takes me a minute to blink all the water from my eyes, then I make out a figure standing between us and Ciara and Sullivan. It's Leo. A bone dry Leo. A very angry looking, bone dry Leo.

            Ciara and Sullivan slope off together without saying anything, but Sullivan manages to give me a sly look over his shoulder, winking at me before turning back to Ciara. Leo glares at them as they walk across the playground, before looking at us to survey the damage.

"Oh dear." He looks me up and down appreciatively. "Not a good day to wear a white top and spotty bra Demi."

            I look down at myself and my cheeks illuminate like break lights; I may as well be standing in front of him in my underwear. I grab the front of my shirt and pull it forwards, although it's a little too late to protect my modesty. Leo is grinning, already having had an eyeful of what's under my shirt. I wonder if he can use his power to make the ground open up and swallow me.

            "Thanks Leo." Ruby smiles as she looks me up and down. She made much better wardrobe choices than I did this morning, wearing a dark blue top, jeans, and a coat.

            Leo manages to tear his eyes away, and looks at Ruby. "What are you idiots up to anyway?"

            "We were just deciding what to do this weekend."

            "Well, how about the cinema? We haven't done that in a while."

            Deciding its best to pretend that everything is normal and I haven't just been completely humiliated, I join in. "You have a cinema here?"

            Ruby has returned to her old, excited self. "Yes, the Magnus, it's fab! Its nearly 100 years old, you'll love it! They're showing Jurassic Park!"

            "Jurassic Park? Really? I've seen it about fifty times."

"Not at the Magnus you haven't." Leo shares a knowing smile with Ruby. "It's in 3D. We'll go tomorrow. It's a date."

Hope you've enjoyed Part nine of Clopwyck River. It would be really great if you could vote and/or leave a coment or two. Have a nice day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

599 127 50
"If reality can destroy our dreams, then let our dreams destroy reality." Juliette and Maya were only fourteen when they went missing. When they retu...
1.9K 84 33
*Completed story* Samuel is a typical jock, used to moving and changing schools often, and fitting right in like nothing happened. At this new school...
1.6K 230 60
She is fierce. She is the future queen. She is a whole definition of power. The powers she has are amazing but she keeps them hidden. She doesn't tru...
34 0 5
17-year-old Ophelia Falls has never had an easy life, or a sense of normalcy within it. As an infant, Ophelia was mysteriously discovered in a basket...