The Cursed Relic

By AvaFics

Since when did I start hating him? Since when did I start falling unto darkness? When they showed him their l... More

Note
Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Author's Note
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 23

3.2K 170 55
By AvaFics

~*~

(Past)

Ainchleim's 1037th Imperial Year...

The ten year old Rosh looked at his parents and twin brother smiling and having tea from afar.

It was a day after their birthday, he was forbidden from going out because of the mistake he made yesterday.

His eyes were all filled with envy and sadness seeing such happiness Josh is receiving.

'They're having fun..'

Rosh clenched his fists and bit his lip. The corner of his eyes warmed as he felt his tear duct filling.

A big hand then patted his head. Rosh turned around and saw his grandfather.

''Young lad, why the sad face?''

The old noble, who usually lives with a stern face, showed a smile. Emmanuel del Razon, the retired duke of the dukedom. And the only person who knows what Rosh truly feels.

''Grandpa..''

Rosh took a glance at the pavilion where his family are and looked down.

His grandfather followed his trailed sight and saw his greedy son, his daughter-in-law and his other grandson having tea.

Emmanuel's face flipped into a furious expression. How could his own son neglect his grandson like this?!

''Why, that foolish man!''

Understanding his grandfather's reaction, Rosh held his arm.

''Calm down, It's alright, grandpa. Father would be even more mad at me if you scold them.''

''My boy, you shouldn't tolerate that stupid father of yours!''

Rosh shooked his head and smiled. Although his father treats him like that, he can't. He shouldn't. Since he must surpass Josh and prove himself better.

''I'm truly fine, grandpa. Now that grandpa's here, I feel better.''

''Hm, you're getting more skilled in using flattery, my grandson.''

''Simply because of you, grandpa.''

Emmanuel felt pleased. His anger for his foolish son died down because of his grandson. He really doesn't know why Jeremiah couldn't appreciate his own flesh and blood.

The old man laughed heartily.

''If that's what you say, why don't you come with this old relative of yours?''

''Uhm, alright, grandpa!''

The two turned their backs and left hand in hand.

Rosh followed his grandfather inside the deep forest part of their estate grounds.

He kept looking everywhere as his grandfather quietly leaded him somewhere. Rosh looked up on Emmanuel.

''Where are we going, grandpa?'' Emmanuel looked down at him and smiled. ''A secret place of mine when I was younger.''

A few minutes of continuous walking, the two arrived infront of a temple. It looked fascinating. The pillars and walls were purely made with clean light marble, the double doors doesn't have any knobs, and many corners of the temple seems to have a line segment.

The young boy plastered an amazed face by the sight.

''Woah..''

''What do you think, Rosh?''

Rosh magnanimously showed his expressive happy feelings.

''It looks heavenly. What is this place, grandpa?''

''This is a place called Gehoves, a temple exclusively made for demi-gods to communicate with humankind back in the days.''

''Really? How did you find it?''

Emmanuel stared at the Gehoves and reminisced the time where he first stepped foot on such a sacred place.

''It is quite a long story, though.''

''It's alright, I can listen to it very well, grandpa.''

''But I don't think you'll be able to listen before your stupid family calls you back, Rosh. And I have to return to my home too. How about I tell you next time?''

''Hmph, fine. But promise you'll tell me next time, grandpa!'' Rosh said happily.

''Of course, I promise.''

*

-

Ainchleim's 1039th Imperial Year..

Rosh and Josh's birthday are now nearing. It was only a few weeks before their 12th birthday.

''The stable horses seems gentle and well trained!'' Josh said as he brushed his hand on the horse's short fur.

A not-so-normal day for the reunion of the Razons. Rosh was standing beside his grandfather while watching his parents and brother have fun. This outdoor activity was planned a few months ago, though he felt a bit annoyed, Rosh was also quite excited to see his grandfather again.

''You look happy, my son.'' The duchess Roxanna said lovingly.

''My, that horse are one of the most picky ones in our estate, yet it is very calm with you. As expected of you, Josh.'' The duke said proudly.

Rosh sneered with narrowed eyes of jealousy. His family is openly neglecting and ignoring his existence, all because of that Josh! He clenched his jaw and glared at his twin.

Emmanuel then pat his shoulders when he felt a dark gaze from his grandson. Rosh clicked his tongue as he retracted his look, instead he glared at the horse who his twin loved so much. His heart wished that it would be enraged so that Josh will be disheartened.

''Father, the horse likes me. Do you think I can take it to——Aah!''

Unexpectedly, the big horse became aggressive and started to rapidly move and attack uncontrollably.

''What's happening!?''

''Calm that thing down or I'll burn it myself!''

The duke and the duchess was shocked and mad. How could those peasants give their son such a crazy horse!

The horse bolted his body acts and a screeching sound of its snort bounced against the area.

''Neeeigh! Neeiigh!!''

Everyone tried to calm it down, but couldn't.

When the horse was about to hit Josh, Rosh noticed a moving figure from his peripheral vision. Everything slowed down.

It was his grandpa, Emmanuel, running towards Josh to save him.

Rosh was surprised and displeased. Angered once again, that even the person he loves the most wanted to save his damned twin.

His eyes glimmered in plea as his vision traced the actions made by his grandpa, he wanted to stop him, he wanted to beg but he was too late.

Thud!

''Grandpa!''

...

That day, Emmanuel was hit in the head as he covered his body to defend Josh from the animal.

The old man was taken and was assisted by many famous healers all throughout the kingdom. It was only then that they found out, the old duke have also been diagnosed with a heart failure but hid it.

For weeks, no signs of improvement was found on him. Even the doctors couldn't understand why Emmanuel slowly becomes weaker even with proper medication.

After that incident, the old duke experienced excuriating pain in every inch of his body, especially his chest. His health continued to deteriorate, as caused by the accident and his current body circumstances.

The doctors started to give up. They cannot help anymore, the knowledge they have isn't enough to heal such a complication. Rosh wanted to kill them. Aren't they supposed to be healers? Why aren't they doing anything!?

On the day of their birthday, the estate wasn't displayed with a harmonious celebration, instead, the manor was covered in sadness and gloom.

Emmanuel...was dying.

In the last moments, Rosh wanted to talk to his grandfather.

He went and kneeled beside his grandfather's deathbed and held his hand.

''..grandpa..? It's me, Rosh. Can you hear me?'' His voice trembled.

Emmanuel felt his familiar presence and tried his very last strength to open his eyes and speak.

''...Rosh?'' It was a very small mutter, almost nothing was heard. But Rosh rose his body and put his ear near his grandfather's lips. The mumbles of the man is now properly heard.

''Yes, grandpa, it's me..'' A small smile escaped his lips.

''...Rosh...Rosh..my, grandson..''

He firmly tightened his grip on Emmanuel's hand.

''H-hmm, how are you, grandpa?''

Rosh expected an answer but was responded with silence. His grandfather doesn't have enough energy to speak more.

''...''

''Everyone..says that you're going..grandpa.''

All except him have given up. They are expecting him to pass early already. Thinking about it, Rosh flared up. How dare they use their dirty mouths to decide his grandfather's death?

His eyes reddened as he did his best to prevent a stream of his tears from falling. It was painful, seeing the only person who cared about him in such a state.

''B-but you won't right? You will never leave me...grandpa..I believe you.''

''...eung..''

Rosh gently brushed Emmanuel's white hair to the back and smiled sweetly.

''You know, grandpa? Remember when I was ten, you promised to tell me your story about Gehoves, right?''

Emmanuel hummed and Rosh nodded.

''I-I'm sure, you wouldn't break your promise. So, don't you think, you should fulfill your promise now?''

His grandfather started to break down. Emmanuel's breathing fastened and became heavy. It was the action of perseverance, the insistment of his body that reacts from Rosh's pleas.

''Haah..eung..mm..''

''Sshhh shh, it's alright grandpa, don't f-force yourself, alright?''

Leaning his head towards his grandpa's chest, he listened to the heartbeat, it was weak and continues to weaken by time. Rosh started to sob.

Time is running out.

''Grandpa, why did you do it? Why did you save him?'' He clenched his other fist.

His grandpa didn't made a sound and just smiled. His eyes are slowly falling to closure.

Rosh understood.

That was it. He knew. His grandpa was tired, he wanted to rest. And he won't stop it. He doesn't have the right to do so.

He kissed his grandpa's palm.

''I love you, grandpa. Take a good rest.''

To his surprise, the old man stopped his eyes from closing. Rosh was confused. Why is his grandpa trying so hard?

Emmanuel lifted his weak arms and pointed at the table beside Rosh. He looked at the table. There was a small box.

The young boy took the box and immediately opened it. A black ring embedded with beautiful sapphire gems. There was a short letter written with the item.

As he read it, Rosh looked at his grandpa with more tears flowing on his eyes.

Emmanuel smiled, a content one.

'Happy birthday, Rosh.'

***

(Present)

The four noble children suddenly heard loud noises from above the dungeon basement. An interesting event was actually occuring.

''What was that?!'' Enzo panicked.

''Something's wrong.'' Samuel said.

Rosh and Eveia didn't speak. The youngest Schneider was glancing every few moments at the Razon boy, she was 'glaring' at him specifically.

As he felt Eveia's eyes peircing him each minute, Rosh rolled his eyes.

Slowly leaning towards her ears, he whispered.

''I might pluck your eyeballs if you keep glaring, Eveia. Be careful. Remember who your master is.''

Eveia felt chills and looked away. All the internal curses she had in her mind was directed to Rosh. She hated him, but she couldn't even do anything!

A small yet strong explosion then surprised the other kids, except Rosh who was secretly grinning.

Samuel, although feeling helpless, knew that danger was coming.

''We have to escape.'' He said seriously.

''Eh? Why?'' Enzo asked.

''There's something that, ugh, I couldn't explain long but, I can actually feel a bit of mana presences.''

''Oh yeah, and?''

''Above this dungeon, there are three more people. I don't know who but I don't think they're with our abductor.'' Samuel explained.

''How are you so sure? What if they're his subordinates?''

''Then we'll just have to escape from them with all our might. We have to get out, I can sense danger.''

''Cool, you rock!'' Enzo exclaimed.

''But how are we supposed to do escape? Not only are we tied with special ropes, we're also stuck in this dirty cell.'' Eveia said with irritation.

Samuel wondered for a while. He started to think about the things he learned about nullifying ropes.

These items were made to prevent magicians from breaking it off. Since mages are mainly focused on magic improvement, they mostly have weak defended bodies.

..! Samuel's eyes shone.

Rosh noticed the glimmer in his eyes, he smiled. He expected this much. There's no way, Samuel Rome, the future leader of the magic tower won't solve a simple puzzle such as this.

''I got it, guys! I know a way to get this ropes broken!'' Samuel said.

''Uhm, what is it?'' Rosh asked.

''All-out physical non-magical conduct.''

''Conduct? Non-magi——Oh yes, yes of course I understand! Haha..'' Enzo said acting as if he truly understood what Samuel meant.

''Explain more. We're not as knowledgable as you.'' Eveia stated.

''Well, nullifying ropes are illegal restrains made to capture magicians. Since magic isn't effective, what if we don't use magic? Instead, we use physical exploits.''

''You're saying that 'maybe' it'll work if we try to break it manually. Emphasize the 'maybe' please.'' Eveia said.

''Exactly! I'm not saying it'll work, we'll jist have to try right?'' Samuel said.

Eveia thought for a moment. There was no guarantee that his theory will work, but that doesn't mean it won't either. All they have to do is find out.

''Fine then, what do we need to do?'' She asked, showing that she agrees to cooperate with his idea.

''Yeah, what do we do? This is so cool! It's like we're action entertainers in a play!'' Enzo said excitedly.

Rosh sweatdropped at him. Can't he see that lives are on the line here?

Samuel nodded. ''First of all, does any one of you have a sharp object or something?''

''Like a knife?''

''Yes, anything we can use to try and cut the ropes.''

His red eyes schemingly glinted in expectations from the brats. It seems, it's his turn to act.

Rosh took their attention. ''Uhmm..''

They all turned their heads and looked at him. He stretched his left leg, a small sharp bump was visible. He used his other leg to lower his socks. They saw a short metal blade peeking out.

It was a small dagger.

''...I may have the thing you needed.''

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.4K 1.6K 49
She lead a rather tragic life. The black sheep of her family due to her lack of affinity for fire. Her affinity was quite the opposite. Water in fac...
259K 11.5K 19
It's terrifying. Waking up on a unfamiliar surrounding and realize along the way that I was reincarnated. Was I given a second chance of life? I cou...
1.5K 3 47
I have always been a hopeless romantic, always daydreaming of my prince charming to come, sweep me off my feet and we would ride off into the sunset...
MATES By ~MK

Werewolf

406K 19.4K 46
Two Brothers...One Girl...One Choice Who would you choose? ~ "How Dare You?" I shoved him until he was pressed up against our sliding glass door "...