papercraft

By asphodelgrey

A collection of all the Breddy Oneshots I wrote (oneshots or more!) I am currently trying to get back on trac... More

table of contents.
lilacs in the tomb.
dead's blood vessel.
stupid uncles to the beat.
psyche and the cupid's kiss.
little nightmares.
orchestra of broken typewriters.
the one deceit.
phascolarctos cinereus.
a heart for an eye.
angel of music.
i want to eat your pancreas.
i see you.

requiem of red.

184 6 4
By asphodelgrey

oh woa, from my drafts !

the warnings and tags are on the table of contents.

--

Sometimes I get this weird feeling that my bestfriend is hiding something from me. I mean, it's not like we have to update everything we do to one another but I just think that he's hiding something from me. Ever since we we're kids he'd always been avoiding any questions about his scarf. He told me his grandmother gave it to him before she died but he never mentioned it after that anymore. And of course, as his bestfriend, I understand that and respect it fully so I never brought the topic up again since then.

He knows he's very special to me, I just don't want him to feel like he can't tell secrets to me. I've always been a great secret keeper my whole life, probably because I really do have no reason to spill secrets everywhere. He always reminds me that he trusts me, but perhaps, not enough.

And now, we're walking home together again, like what we always do.

"Do you wanna eat something before we go home? We don't have that much homework today anyway." I suggested while watching him unwrap a candy that he bought from that nearby store.

"Sure." came his short reply.

I smiled and nodded, "Hey Brett, you know you can tell me everything, right? As in everything. I don't mind at all, you know I'll always listen, right?"

He tapped my shoulder, "I know that. But I am fine, you don't have to worry. Now let's go because the clock is ticking."

"Okay. Let's just go."

.。*♡✧*.♡*。.

"Wow!" I stretched my back and yawned, "That meal was so good. Let's go back here again to eat sometime, there aren't many customers also."

"Yeah for sure." He wrapped his scarf tighter around his neck. I observed him for a bit then, started walking.

He paused and turned to me, "Eddy, you should go straight home, it's almost dark now and it's dangerous." He went the other way after that, we aren't neighbors after all. I took his advice and went straight home. I don't wanna get kidnapped also.

I unlocked the door to my house and called, "I am home." I removed my shoes and my jacket before stepping in. I checked my phone for a while, no new notifications. I saw my mom in the kitchen and showed her the results of the tests I took this morning.

"How nice. High scores again, very good. Keep on studying, okay? Look how nice this looks, straight high scores." She praised me.

"Are you gonna let me buy a new book, now?" I pulled one of the chairs and sat on it, "I studied hard for that, Mom. And plus, there's a new volume of that book I've been reading recently." I pleaded.

She laughed and placed the tests gently on the table, "Yeah yeah. You can buy two since I've been seeing progress a lot with your scores."

I cheered and grabbed my bag to go upstairs. I thought about my bestfriend again, I hope he went home safely. I checked my phone, still no new notifications. I selected new clothes from my closet after showering. I really needed that shower, it helped me relax now.

While showering a while ago, I thought about just letting Brett. He'd tell me whatever it is that is bugging him when he's ready. I trust him enough. I buttoned my polo shirt and laid down on my bed. No home works to do, too. It feels so boring. I grabbed my bag to look for a pen and paper, perhaps I'd draw something to kill time.

I was surprised when I blinked awake. Oh, it looks like I fell asleep. I reached for my phone and checked the time. 3 AM. I missed dinner? That sucks, I wonder what they had for dinner. And also, still no new messages. Suddenly, I remembered about that red scarf again. "Maybe it has some sort of symbolism? But for what?" I muttered to myself. I searched it on google and nothing really specific came up. Well at least not what I was looking for. Maybe someday I'll just give up finding what he is hiding from me under that scarf.

I sat up on my bed and thought for a solution. Maybe I should invite him to my house and just grab the scarf when he's not looking? That's kind of disrespectful and rude though, I would never do that to him. I really don't know what to do, if I somehow find a way to bring the topic up again, it'll gonna be so awkward and he'll never answer that. Maybe I should just give up now.

"But I am fine, you don't have to worry." I am really hoping you're telling the truth, because unlike you, I can't read people that well.

.。*♡✧*.♡*。.

"Good morning, Brett!" I waved at him at the bus station. We always take the bus to go to school, sometimes I'll bring some games so we could play while sitting there. But if the driver is sick, we just walk to school and wake up a bit early than we usually do. I ran up to him and we both sat on the seats in the bus that we already claimed.

"Good morning, Eddy." He said.

The ride felt like it was 2 whole years before we reached our destination. Brett and I aren't really in the same class since he's one year older than me but we always meet up during breaks to eat together. And sometimes, skip classes to just sit on the rooftop and eat sandwiches. After our first class, I went on my way to the rooftop like I always do to meet Brett there.

I saw my classmates sitting together at the canteen. One of them spotted me and told me to come with them. "Hey Eddy! My guy, join us for once. You're the only one in our class who is always not here eating with us. Where do you eat your snacks anyway?"

"Somewhere else with a friend."

"Ohhh" They all looked at each other with glint in their eyes, teasing Eddy. "Oh no it's not like that. He's a guy, and he's in a grade much higher than me." They all nodded and continued eating.

Hazel pointed her fork towards me, "And what's the name of your friend? I have a brother in the higher grade too and I am certain he knows him. We would wanna meet your friend too." The others agreed to her.

I smiled at them, "He's Brett. We've been friends since we were in elementary."

There was a moment of silence before one of them spoke, "Brett? I know someone named Brett. Before, that is. I really do hope you're talking about a different Brett because...." I looked at them curiously as they we're communicating silently with their eyes alone.

I don't know what's happening but at that moment, I knew I was curious and wanted to know more about what they'll say. But it was interrupted by a loud ring from my phone. It was Brett, but he ended the call early, I saw his message and ran straight to the rooftop.

When I reached the very top, I saw him just standing there. The wind blew harder and I struggled to cover my face.

"Eddy, I know you're talking about my scarf yesterday." He started, as soon as the wind stopped.

I sat on the floor and faced him, "I am sorry, I admit I am still curious about the history or something of your scarf but if you don't wanna talk about it then that's perfectly fine with me. Let's just ea-"

"I am honestly scared."

I frowned, "Scared? Scared of what exactly?"

"I am scared that well- you're bound to find out what's really this scarf is all about." Brett turned to face me, his eyes all red and all I can see are tears, "I am sorry if you think that I am coming off as secretive and keeping stuff away from you. You must be very confused."

My frown deepened, "I am. I don't know what you're talking about..."

"Then let it be that way, Eddy." He sat down next to me and hugged me for a split second then moved away, "I understand your curiosity but I am just doing all of this to buy some time. I still wanna be with you, I never want to leave. You'll understand soon enough."

"O-okay..." I hesitated before agreeing. "If you want that then I'll just give up. Let's just eat our food for today, shall we? Let's not think too much."

"Sure." I stared at the scarf for a while before taking a bite of my sandwich.

There was a moment of silence before I talked again, "Brett, do you wanna go to my house tomorrow? It's Saturday tomorrow, let's have a sleepover and play games."

He nodded, "Of course, that'll be fun."

"Just promise to bring your books, okay?" I looked up at the sky.

"Do you wanna borrow them?" He asked.

I smiled, "Yeah.... You know when you've repeatedly read the same three books for 20 times you get tired of it. I wanna try reading something new. Maybe horror."

Brett sipped his juice, "You had good scores right, that means your mom would've agreed to buy you a new book, though I am gonna let you borrow mine regardless."

I chuckled, "You're right, maybe you should help me pick later after class, I wanna try reading horror stuff, you seem to like it very much and you've got good taste so I am trusting you on this one, Mr. Horror Lover."

"Horror? Are you sure? Don't come crying to me or your mom or your sister when you can't sleep and can't take a bath alone after reading those." He laughed. "I should read with you so you don't feel scared."

"Yes please. I would like that." I nodded, "Also probably just pick some light ones so I won't get scared."

.。*♡✧*.♡*。.

After class, we went to the mall to check out some books, my mom said I can buy two after all, maybe I should just always study hard instead of going behind her back. I honestly didn't do anything and just let Brett pick out some good ones for me, and some not-that-scary ones like I requested. I shivered and wrapped my jacket more tightly around me, why is it so cold here, geez.

"These are not that extreme, I am sure you'll handle it. Here you go." He handed the books to me and I quickly scanned through the pages.

"Yeah this is pretty chill, thanks a lot."

We walked home together today again. Casually talking about our favorite anime then favorite songs then favorite movies. But then, I suddenly remembered something.

"Oh, I forgot we're gonna have prom soon. Who are you gonna bring with you?"

Brett shrugged, "No one. I don't even know if I am gonna go. I just don't care anymore. It's going to be a shitshow again."

"I got no one in mind too." I sighed then laughed, "What if I just take you to prom at least we won't be cringy and awkward all that, I don't wanna have a bad prom memory."

Brett chuckled as well, "Sure."

"Oh nice."

.。*♡✧*.♡*。.

When I opened my eyes, it's already morning. I reached for my phone to check the time, although I know it'll probably be 9 AM right now.

And I was right. I rushed downstairs to tell my Mom that Brett's coming today. She agreed but she said that we have to behave or else she's gonna make Brett go home anytime. Of course I said okay and then I called Brett to check up on him.

"Hey."

"Hey. Am I late? I thought I would go there after lunch?" I heard Brett yawn from the other line.

"No, of course not. You know that you're never late dude." I sat on my bed and lay down.

"Oh alright, so what's up?"

"Well I called you to confirm if you're really coming. And do you want anything, like food so I can go grab some for us right now? I have nothing to do anyway." I sat up and went to my desk to look for my wallet.

"Maybe some bubble tea? I'll bring snacks, don't worry."

I reached for my wallet and checked if there's enough money, "Hm. Okay. See you then. Anything else?"

"Nope, bubble tea is fine."

"Okay, see you." I ended the call and grabbed my jacket to go outside.

The line was sort of long for my liking but it's not like I am in a rush so I waited patiently for my turn. It started to rain outside while I am in line and just my luck, I forgot to bring an umbrella, at least I have a jacket though. I can just shield myself with it.

After a couple more minutes, it was finally my turn. I ordered my usual order for the two of us and sat on a table and waited til' the rain would stop. It was then when I saw a figure holding an umbrella outside the store. He closed the umbrella and stepped inside the store, looking for someone.

And then, he spotted me and walked towards me. At that moment, I thought I was gonna get kidnapped but then I laughed to myself, "You scared me man. Why are you just casually wearing all black?"

"Did I look like a serial killer to you? Come on, let's leave here." He chuckled with me. I stood up and gave Brett his bubble tea. We walked out of the store and headed to my house. "I came back for you."

"How'd you know?"

"The what?" He turned around to face me, "Oh, I figured you would forget to bring an umbrella so I came here to fetch you. And wow I was right."

When I opened the door to our house, Brett greeted my mother and we both put away our shoes, jackets and the umbrellas. We both went upstairs, I saw Brett carrying a bag, must've been the books I was meaning to borrow.

Brett placed the books from the bag on my desk and sat on my chair. "You came early. Have lunch with us later."

Brett shook his head and waved his hand, "No need, I am full. I've already eaten at my house. You can just go downstairs and I'll wait here, I'll be opening up the TV."

I paused to think for a moment, "Speaking of your house, I've never been to your house ever since we were children."

"You couldn't go there even if you wanted to anyway, and I would suggest that you shouldn't attempt to. Our street is highly dangerous, so many crimes have happened there. Some sick murderers, thieves and burglars. You wouldn't last a second if you don't perfectly know your way." Brett wrapped the red scarf tighter around his neck. "I wouldn't go there and save my life if I were you."

I frowned, "But if your street is that dangerous as you described it for me, then how come you're still alive and well?"

"That's a secret of course. I am a spy."

"Wait... actually?"

"No, you idiot. I can't believe you believed that." Brett chuckled to himself and sipped his bubble tea. "It's because I know my way. If you've been living there all your life, you would be immune to those kind of stuff."

I smiled, "Then you will guide me there and take me. I'll have to pick you up to prom anyway."

Brett shook his head, "What a nice excuse. I am a man too myself. We can meet at a different place."

I just gave up again, "Fine ...."

He turned the chair to face me, "Let's play a game then eat?"

"Yeah good idea."

.。*♡✧*.♡*。.

I went downstairs after some series of rounds of our video game, it's lunch. I sat down on one of the chairs and my mom looked at me, "Where's Brett? He isn't joining us?"

"He said he wasn't hungry and that he already ate." I grabbed a plate and a pair of utensils from the containers.

"Oh he will be skinny, tell him to come down and eat with us, tell him it's fine."

I gasped when he suddenly appeared behind me, "It's alright Mrs. Chen. I've already eaten and we also have some snacks upstairs, I am sure I'll be fine." I heard his quiet footsteps.

My mom looked at both of us before nodding, "Alright Brett. I hope you're sure, I don't want you getting skinny, more illnesses if skinny." He smiled politely at my mom and nodded. I looked back after a while and he's gone, he probably went upstairs. That was quick, though. Surprisingly, I finished my food a little too quickly perhaps excited to play again with my best friend.

I hurried upstairs and found him reading some manga from my bookshelf. "You liking that so far?" I asked. He turned around and nodded, "Yeah, this is your favorite, right? To be frank, you also have good taste. This is interesting. You do like crime cases, don't you?"

I nodded enthusiastically, "Yes I really do."

"I've been researching about those lately, actually. Want me to tell you something?"

My eyes brightened and I sat next to him. "I read this case about a boy, he's supposed to be the same age as ours if he was still alive today. He lived here as well like us. He went to the same school as ours. The cause of death was, he was decapitated by an unknown murderer, that is still living freely as of today. Tell me, do you think he needs justice? How could his killer be living his life right now knowing he killed a young and innocent boy. How unfortunate."

"Of course, he was killed. And I hate decapitation too. That must've been painful, poor guy." I caressed my neck like someone was about to cut it off of my head. I felt a little bit of fear that time, like what would have happened if it was me instead of that guy. I would've been totally fucked.

"Me too. I think his killer didn't deserved to live. I despise murderers." He smiled at me and turned the TV on. "Now let's start this video game."

We played the whole afternoon while sometimes pausing the game to eat, have some chat about school and other interests just to resume the game again. My clock went off and it was a signal that it was dinner that time now. The two of us went down together and sat on the chairs. The meal was good and we we're both full the moment we finished our meals. My mom told us to brush our teeth and go to sleep, and no more gaming which obviously saddened the both of us but we managed to obey her.

"You also don't take off your scarf when you go to sleep?" I asked quietly while he was brushing his teeth and I was washing my face.

"I don't. Or maybe because you're around, who knows." He said. That time, future me now would've screamed that I should just mind my own business and forget about the scarf thing and just endured being curious.

I eyed him as he lay down on the other side of my bed, he removed his glasses and before drifting off to sleep, he muttered those words to me with a tone that I have never heard him use my entire life, it was hard to explain what tone it was, till this day I still can't explain it properly to anyone.

"Good night." I heard him mutter goodbye as well but I ignored it, thinking it was just because after this night, he's gonna go home.

I went under the covers carefully and faced his back. The scarf was there, waiting for me. I decided and told myself that I am gonna pull the scarf off, and he wouldn't know, right? He's fast asleep. And I can just lie to him tomorrow.

I slowly reached for the scarf. I put my hand on top of it, it was soft and I sighed to myself, now I understand why he never takes it off, it feels warm and comfortable. I gently pulled it, slowly as to not wake him up. To my surprise, when I pulled it off completely...

His head fell off.

I took a step back, shocked. I saw his eyes widened, "Looks like you can't take me to prom after all. I am really sorry, Eddy."

He knew.

He knew that this was my last day with him but I didn't.

[ end. ]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 64 20
Eddy Chen tells about himself, being a sensitive guy and how his friendship with Brett Yang formed him as a person. These short stories are more like...
2.3K 21 11
Welcome to my angsty oneshot book! This books will be rarely updated but I hope you guys like it! P.S. If you're the real twosetviolin, please read i...
37.7K 997 18
the title says it all :) feel free to leave requests in the comments or via dm!
25.5K 1.1K 29
"Do I miss you? Maybe." "Do I like you? ..." Brett and Eddy has been having some friendship problems. Between juggling university, social life and in...