It's Not Just Business

By soulstrings

No one told Regan how miserable it could be to care for your husband and not have that returned. Aaron keeps... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Six

179 3 0
By soulstrings

It was Sunday, a day after Angela's event, and I was sitting on the living room with my laptop. Finishing the last of my assignments. I was graduating high school in a week and had to give all my teachers my last extra credit sheets.

Not graduating was out of the question.

So here I am, typing away, stressing over everything and sipping coffee like an addict. When all of a sudden Laurel is dropping down next to me and making me nearly spill coffee all over my laptop.

"Jesus! Are you trying to kill me?" I exclaimed. Saving my work and closing the lid of the computer, then carefully setting down the cup on the coffee table.

"I have a question." Laurel got comfortable on the couch and looked me straight in the eyes.

"Well, what is it?"

It was quite strange for her to be asking me something and in a somewhat nice tone. Plus she looked kind of nervous as well.

"I was looking at some websites the other day and," she sighed and this time she looked away from me. Her eyes set on the floor. "I'm thinking of putting the baby up for adoption."

What?! Okay. This is really serious.

I sat up straighter and cleared my throat.

"You do know that once you sign any sort of agreement you can't back out, right?" just needed to make sure she hadn't already chosen any family or place for her to leave her baby at.

"Yes. But, Regan, I don't think I'll be a good mother. I wont be good to this kid." she pointed a finger at the slight bulge of her stomach. "I'm barely going day through day. It takes me every inch of self control not to actually sneak out and go to a bar. I'm craving a drink so much its scary. The doctor said to focus on something else, to try drinking or eating something else to calm a bit of the anxiety. But its all driving me insane! I just want this baby out so I can live my life again." there was hurt and anger in her eyes as she tried to hold back the tears.

"I think its best for you to think things through. There's still time left before you give birth. Don't rush things, Laurel. You might change your mind once you have your baby in your arms." I sighed and continued without really thinking much. "And if you still don't want your baby, Aaron and I can take care of them."

"What?" her eyes went huge with surprise, her mouth creating a perfect oval. "You would take my baby just like that?"

"Its family." I shrugged. "Aaron's nephew which makes him mine by default. I'm sure Aaron would agree with me that we don't want your baby with another family." when she just kept staring at me I continued. "And if you decide to actually keep them, well Aaron and I can look after it while you go on rehab. If you're going to be a good mom you need to look out for what's best for your child."

Laurel kept staring at me as if I'd suddenly grown additional limbs. She sat very still and wouldn't take her eyes off mine. It was getting really uncomfortable. Staring for a long period of time is beyond rude.

"I- I ah, I'll think about it." she quickly got up and rubbed her neck, still staring at me. "Thanks for the talk."

"I'm here when you want to have another." I smiled softly and waited until she left to grab my phone and call Aaron. He'd run to the office and should be back in an hour or two.

"Hello, love." Aaron's voice made me smile.

"Hi. How are things?"

"We found the contracts and Arlene's been fired. I'm on the look out of a new secretary. One who doesn't misplace important papers or gets nail polish all over out equipment." he sounded annoyed and I was sort of happy that I wouldn't have to deal with Arlene anymore, but sorry that she lost her job.

"I can be your secretary."

"My sexy secretary?" he hummed. "I'd like that."

"We can have lunch breaks every hour in your office." I chuckled, wiggling my eyebrows completely forgetting he couldn't actually see me.

"Oh, I definitely like that." his voice got lower and it made me shiver.

"Right. Changing the subject," I held back a giggle. Imagining having sex with my husband in his office was not something I should be doing right now. "I talked with Laurel. She's thinking of putting her baby up for adoption."

"What?!" I had to pull the phone away from my ear with a wince.

"Calm down. Please listen to me." when he gave me a sound of approval I continued. "We talked a little and I told her not to rush things. To think things through and offered to take care of her baby for her while she was in rehab. Or to actually adopt your nephew, or niece, if she didn't really want to keep them."

There was a minute of silence and then disbelief in Aaron's tone. "You did that?"

"Yes. I mean, is it alright with you? I just didn't like the idea of the baby not being with the family." then I quickly went on. "But, I wanted to talk to you about it first."

"Of course. Right. I mean, why don't we talk when I get home alright? I'll be a little bit later than what I said, but we'll talk when I get home." he sounded a bit off and I decided to blame it on the stress.

We said our goodbyes and I went back to finishing my work, until I got a text message from Alice.

Leah and I were thinking of having a girl day out today. Are you in? We're thinking some shopping -A

I looked from the text to my laptop. The work was nearly finished, just a paragraph more and a bit of editing. I could easily do that later today. So saving my work and shutting off my computer I replied with a yes.

Is it okay if I bring Laurel with me? She's Aaron's sister. -R

I quickly made my way upstairs, left the laptop on the cushion chair and walked into the closet. My phone vibrated with a new text and I grinned.

Sure! Meet you two at the mall in half an hour? Main entrance. -A

Done. -R

And okay, now I have to go ask Laurel.

I walked to her room and knocked twice before she opened the door.

"What do you want?"

"My friends invited me to the mall. Do you want to go? It'll be fun, a day out of the routine." I smiled. Aaron didn't let her out by herself yet. And as much as I loved being home, there were times when you just wanted to go out. To take some fresh air.

"Alright. But don't expect me to talk or like your friends." Laurel closed the door on my face and I sighed. Her moods were going to drive me crazy.

So I went to change into something comfortable.

When we arrived at the mall, Alice and Leah were waiting for us talking to each other animatedly. It was quite the sight.

"Why did I come again?" Laurel scowled.

"To have fun." I shrugged and went over to my friends.

"Regan!" Alice threw her arms around me. And Leah did the same after Alice let go.

"Hi, how was that party?" Leah wondered.

"Not so bad." I shrugged, then motioned for Laurel to get closer. "I want you to meet Laurel, Aaron's sister."

The three mumbled their hello's and Laurel scanned the mall. It probably wasn't what she was used to, but I'm glad she didn't comment on it.

And I really appreciated my friends for agreeing on Laurel coming. She must be bored of the routine she has. After all she can't set foot out of the property if she's not with me or Aaron or her parents. We have to make sure she doesn't do anything to harm herself or the baby.

It was an hour in to our shopping that we passed the lingerie shop. At this, Laurel decided to side with my friends and pushed me in. Well, I'm happy she's a bit more talkative now but ganging up on me wasn't nice. Plus how awkward is that your sister-in-law is helping you pick something to surprise your husband? I mean, she's going to know what's going on.

But I have to be honest with myself, without them here I probably wouldn't have gotten inside the shop. And the pieces of silk were beautiful. Hopefully Aaron liked them as much.

"Leah, this is totally you." Alice held a piece of white lingerie. The v-string panties had a little pink bows on the sides and a baby doll to go. Leah blushed a crimson red and shook her head.

"Why would I need that?"

"Apart from making yourself feel good," Alice started looking for the right size. "Greg will love it."

"B-but, Greg and I, we-" Leah's eyes were huge.

"Oh, but you'll get there honey. And when the time's right, you'll use this." Alice finally came back with the right set and handed it to Leah. "You can thank me later."

"And this Regan, will kill my brother." Laurel held a midnight blue garter belt together with matching thigh high stockings, a bra to go with and nothing more.

"What about the panties?" I went to reach for what was actually a thong.

"You won't need it." Laurel chuckled.

"Oh my god." I covered my face in embarrassment. I'm never doing this again. Okay, maybe I will. It was actually quite fun. At times like these I wished I had a sister.

In the end I do grab the thong and Laurel rolls her eyes at me. Hey, I might change my mind. And Aaron probably won't like it.

Oh who am I kidding? He'll love it.

When everything was in bags, we walked out of the shop and decided it was time to eat.

The food court was crowded. I searched for a table while the rest of the girls went to grab something to eat. I counted on Laurel bringing me some Chinese. And waited patiently for them to get back.

-How's everything going? Laurel giving you any trouble?

Aaron's message read and I rolled my eyes.

Everything's fine. Great actually. And I have a surprise for you ;)

Alice was the first to come back, tray filled with a foot long subway. "I haven't had one in ages!"

I'm excited now.

Aaron replied and I didn't write back. Let him over think things and see if he gets on the right track.

"Texting the hubby?" Alice asked with a mouthful.

"Yes. He's a bit worried about Laurel." I raised my hand and caught the eye of Zeke. I'd told him to keep some distance since all of this was a girl thing. And I mean, what could go wrong right? But he'd insisted on being close enough to actually be able to cover us if something happened.

"Yes, ma'am?"

"You can grab something to eat. I won't accept no for an answer. How embarrassing would it be if you passed out?" I pressed. Zeke fought back a smile and nodded. He was about to leave when it happened.

Leah and Laurel were walking back to us together. Both carrying a tray in their hands, talking to each other. I really can't explain how it happened. It was all too fast. One minute their walking and the next they are on the ground.

Alice, Zeke and I run towards them. A couple of people started to come closer trying to see if everything was okay.

It wasn't.

Leah sat up groaning, pushing the tray away from her lap. Covered in food. Laurel on the other hand...

"It hurts. It hurts. Oh God, Regan my baby!" Laurel is sobbing as she clutches her stomach and curls into herself.

"Everything's going to be okay, Laurel." I wasn't all that sure. So I turned to Leah and she began to explain.

"Some kids knocked into us. My tray dug into my stomach, I'm guessing the same happened to her. It does hurt pretty bad, the kids landed on top of us."

"We're sorry. It was an accident. I swear!" they were around their thirteen's, both looked scared.

"I called an ambulance. They'll be here any minute now." Zeke informed.

"It hurts. Regan, I don't want to lose my baby. I don't!" Laurel was breathing heavily, eyes looking at me pleadingly. Her hand now holding mine tightly.

"She's pregnant? Oh my god." a woman said, her hand was on one of the kid's shoulder, so I'm guessing a relative.

"Why does it hurt so much? It was just a slight push. I didn't even feel it at first. Why is it hurting like this?" Laurel was frantic now.

"I don't know, but the medics will be here soon. They'll make sure you're alright." I soothed. Then looked at Zeke.

"Call Aaron, tell him to meet us at the hospital."

"Yes, ma'am." Zeke pulled away from the crowd that was everything but quiet.

"Regan, she's... she's..." Alice whispered, pointing at Laurel's bottom. She was bleeding.

This can't be happening.

The paramedics came and in what seemed like an eternity we were rushed into the hospital and Laurel was being treated by Dr. Murdoch.

"Regan, what happened?" Aaron got up as soon as we went to the waiting area.

"We were in the food court, Leah and Laurel were coming back to the table. Then some kids ran into them. Leah said that her tray dug into her stomach and we're thinking the same happened to Laurel. We're not sure. But, it couldn't have been that hard right? The impact? Not hard enough for her to lose the baby, right?" and I was bawling my eyes out onto his chest.

"Lets wait and see what the doctor has to tell us." Aaron ran a soothing hand down my back, trying to appear calm. But his heartbeat was giving him away.

Leah, who was being checked to see if she didn't get any sort of serious injury, met with us at the waiting room. Alice rapidly threw her arms around her. They sat down while Aaron and I paced around the room. Neither of us could stay still.

"Excuse me?" a woman's voice came and I snapped my head, disappointment washing over me as I noticed she wasn't a nurse or a doctor.

"Yes?"

"You came with the woman from the mall right?" when I nodded she continued. "My son and my nephew were the ones who ran into those two ladies. We came to see how they were."

"I'm just a little bruised from the fall, but I'm okay." Leah smiled.

"And the pregnant lady?"

"We still don't know anything." I sighed and rubbed my face. This is all so stressing.

"I'm Jane." the woman extended her hand, remembering she didn't really introduce herself before. And well, neither did we.

"Regan," I shook her hand. "This is my husband, its his sister Laurel inside."

"Aaron." he nodded his head and started pacing again.

It was a bit awkward after that. But at this moment I couldn't bring myself to small talk. In some way it was my fault that this happened. If I hadn't insisted on Laurel coming out of the house, she would be safe.

"Scarlatti?" Dr. Murdoch came and Aaron and I quickly made our way to him.

"How are they?" Aaron asked.

"I'm sorry," Dr. Murdoch sighed. "Laurel had a miscarriage."

I felt the blood drain from my face and Aaron looked just as pale. We just couldn't say anything. Both paralyzed.

"It wasn't because of the fall. That just pushed it over the edge. She admitted to having back and abdominal pains and severe cramps in the past days. Those are all miscarriage symptoms."

"So she was going to lose the baby either way? How does that make it better?!" Aaron snapped and I had to hold onto his arm for support.

"How is she doing? How is she coping?"

"She's still in shock. And I think it's best if you take her to counseling. Then make her go to a rehab facility, as she might go back to drinking after this. Its important that she's not alone in her grief. So keep a close eye on her." Dr. Murdoch informed.

"Can we go in?" I wondered.

"Just give her a couple of minutes." the doctor sighed, mumbled a sorry and left. He'll let us know when we can go in to see her.

Aaron and I finally sat down.

No one said anything.

I still couldn't believe this was happening.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 269 28
Elijah's best friend is always trying to hook her up and pressuring her to go on dates. Normally, Elijah knows from the start that Dani's plan is goi...
2.3K 37 21
(A Connor Stoll fan fiction) Heart beats fast Colors and promises How to be brave? How can I love when I'm afraid to fall? But watching you stand alo...
25.4K 967 21
It's been four years since you and Leon broke up. Four years since the 'incident.' Your inability to work together is starting to hinder missions, wh...
50 11 12
Part Two to the first IDID:TB This time Aaron clears the past and Michael's name becomes less and less refined. All while new threats are growing beh...