It's Not Just Business

By soulstrings

No one told Regan how miserable it could be to care for your husband and not have that returned. Aaron keeps... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

239 7 0
By soulstrings

Seeing as Aaron was going to be busy working in the study, I decided to get the help I needed. I have to admit I was completely certain that my idea would work, but I had to try. Not remembering things I'd done wasn't to my liking. So I searched for my phone and prayed I had one of my friend's phone number saved.

It turns out I had an Elliot on my contact's list. The only Elliot anyone has mentioned is the guy from school, so I took a risk and sent him a text.

Hello, Elliot. This is Regan. I was wondering if

No. No! If I had his number it meant he had mine. So I started all over again.

Hi. I was wondering if you guys could come over to my house today? I'm not sure if you're out of school yet, but if you could manage to visit me today... I would appreciate it. I have something important to discuss.

It didn't look so bad so I hit send and waited.

And waited for twenty minutes, during which I spend by changing channels like a mad woman.

Couldn't reply sooner. Was in P.E. class. But yes, I can make it. I'll ask the guys and see if they're free too.

A relieved sigh escaped me. Good. If they came, they could tell me about myself and I hoped with all my heart that I could remember at least something.

Thank you. You can eat here, if you like.

He ended up agreeing and I walked over to where the intercom sat.

"Fuller, some friends will be coming over. I want you to inform me as soon as they get here."

"Of course, ma'am. Would they be staying over for dinner?"

"Yes. I'm not sure if they're all coming, though."

"Don't worry, miss. I'd have Emil prepare enough food." Fuller said matter of fact and I wondered if he'd ever met my friends.

"Thank you." and I walked back to the bed, grabbing the laptop that sat on one of the cushion chairs in the room. I recognized it as mine. I'd had that thing for quite a long time now.

So I immersed myself in looking at everything I'd done in the past months. It turns out it was mostly school work. Most of which wasn't yet finished. So I read back lessons and reviews, notes and such that I'd made and began to try and finish what I could. It helped to get my mind off things. I needed to stop worrying. I'm sure I'll remember everything soon enough. Then it'll all be like nothing happened.

A soft knock at the door startled me off homework.

"Come in."

"Your friends are here, ma'am." Fuller informed.

Good, my head was starting to hurt from so much words and numbers.

"Thank you. I'll be right down." I saw him hesitate to leave and I sighed. "I'll be fine."

"Of course. Excuse me." and he was out of the bedroom.

Feeling alright with my appearance, I left the comfort of my bedroom and walked down the stairs. Of course making sure to keep my hand on the rail incase I got dizzy.

I was a bit disappointed to only see two out three of the guys. But I smiled nonetheless.

"I'm happy you could make it. Do you want anything to drink?" I asked as I led them to the living room, where we all sat down.

"Water would be fine." Elliot smiled, Alice nodded in agreement.

I turned to Rita, who was waiting for me to add anything but I simply nodded and she walked away.

"Is everything okay? Your text was a bit off. You sound a bit off right now, actually." Elliot commented with a frown.

"That's true. You're acting too polite. Too distant." Alice also looked concerned.

"I'm-"

"Fuller, have Fred ready I'm- Regan!" Aaron stopped mid sentence as he saw me. "What are you doing? You should be resting! Do you feel nauseous? The doctor said it was going to happen. Maybe you should sleep. Let me carry you and-"

"I'm alright Aaron." I interrupted his rant, taking his hand and squeezing it reassuringly. "Not nauseous or anything. I just had to explain to my friends my situation."

"Oh. Okay. Alright. Fine." he frowned and looked at war with himself. "I have to take some things to the office. But I'll take the helicopter and be back in no time."

"I'll be fine." I smiled and rested my hand on his cheek. "Take as long as you want. It's important."

"Not as much as you." he kissed my forehead. "Twenty minutes tops."

"Sir, Fred is ready." Fuller came into the room.

"I'll be right there in a minute." Aaron ordered and Fuller left again. "Are you sure you'll be alright?"

"Yes, I am. Now go. They're waiting for you." Who ever it is.

Aaron sighed and pressed his lips to mine quickly then left.

So... we have a helicopter. Nice. Strange but still nice.

"Regan, what's going on?"

"You have a helicopter?" this time it was Alice mirroring my thoughts.

"I have something important to tell you guys. And apparently we do have a helicopter."

"Forget the helicopter. What is it that you want to tell us?" Elliot insisted.

"It can't be that you're divorcing Aaron because the way he was acting just-"

"Don't mind her. Just explain." Elliot smiled reassuringly at me as he covered Alice's mouth with his hand. She rolled her eyes and pushed his hand away, not speaking.

"Things are worse than they appear to be." I sighed. "Alright its not that bad, but its bad. As it turns out, I apparently hit my head before on that trip we made. Now this other hit with the concrete, it brought some complications. Combine them and the short period of time between them... it caused some damage. What I mean is that... I remember everything up to my wedding. After that? Let's just say it's a blurry page."

I stayed quite, waiting for a reaction. All I got was wide eyes and mouths hanging open. Apart from that, they didn't move an inch. Okay, now I'm nervous.

"I called you guys, since we seem to be friends. The thing is... I vaguely remembered your faces, but I don't really know who you are. So I thought that if you talked to me about our relationship, then maybe it could help me to remember."

That snapped them both out of shock. Blinking several times and closing their mouths they leaned back.

"You don't remember us at all?" Alice said, tearing up a bit.

"I get this short flashbacks. Nothing much. I remember something orange coming at my face. Then falling into a lake. But the memories are gone in a second."

"What did the doctor say? Are you going to get your memory back?" Elliot's voice was laced with hope.

"All he said was that each person is different. Some people manage to gain their memory back, some just don't. But considering I'm getting flashbacks and my memory wasn't completely wiped out. I mean, I saw your faces and though I'd seen you before, just didn't know where. That has to mean something. I really want to remember. I really do."

"Did they give you any sort of medication?"

"Just vitamins, because of how long I was there. Some pills for the headaches. But nothing more." Elliot shook his head in disappointment or maybe it was disbelief. I continued. "Apparently I have to remember by myself. I think it's easier to have some help."

Once again they were quiet for a short period of time.

"I'm guessing that orange thing coming at your face could be the time that Jenny threw a basketball at you."

"Why would she do that?!" I asked Alice. "Wait, who's Jenny?"

"They just wanted to get back at you for practically ignoring them. She doesn't particularly like you since you're married to her fantasy boyfriend." Alice explained.

"So she threw a basketball at me because I'm married to Aaron. I can assume that her sisters don't like me either?"

"That assumption is right." Elliot grinned for reasons I didn't understand. "And the falling into the lake part. The only time you were in a lake, that we know of, was back at the camp. Aaron threw you in."

"Aaron did what?!" I can't believe this. Of course it was a misunderstanding. He would never do that. Aaron was a mature and serious man, he would never do something so childish. Even though the thought thrilled me a little.

"Yeah. He hauled you up over his shoulder. Walked right into the lake and when you insisted on him to not throw you in, he ignored you. We were quite surprised. It just never occurred to us that your hubby would do something like that. But that's not all, he laughed! He laughed at you. It was priceless." Alice shook her head at the memory, a grin on her lips.

"Don't forget the bonfire. He danced as if he was a professional. Pretty impressive." Elliot chimed in.

Okay, now I definitely want to remember.

"Maybe we should come by another time. Have the rest of the guys here would be better." Elliot said after I hadn't made a comment.

"Yes. That would be better." they started to get up and I frowned. "I though you guys were staying for dinner."

"It's best if we go. We have to come up with a storytelling strategy for the next time we see each other. Plus you need to rest. And Aaron is going to kick us out the minute he comes back." Alice shrugged.

"You guys don't get along?" he did ignore them when he left...

"Let's just say that Aaron's priority is you." Elliot came over to me to hug. Alice did the same and then they were leaving.

I felt relieved, happy and excited.

With that excitement in my head, I walked to the kitchen to inform Emil that it was just going to be Aaron, Laurel and I eating.

"Ma'am." Fuller stopped me before I reached my destination. Once I gave him my attention he continued. "There's an Angela Ridgeway at the gates."

"At the gates?"

"Mr. Scarlatti ordered that we mustn't let anyone inside before knowing who they were. We've never heard, or have any records on the list of visitors, of a Mrs. Ridgeway."

"I don't know any Angela Ridgeway." I frowned. "Are there any cameras at the gate?"

"Yes, ma'am. Follow me."

I did. Fuller led me to a room near Aaron's studio. It had a set of mini-screened monitors. Apparently there were camera's surrounding the outside of the house. He pointed at the one at the gates. There was a young woman on the backseat of a black Mercedes.

"Angie Kenny." So she married. "I do know her. Let her in."

"Right away, ma'am."

When Fuller left, I stood there thinking. What in the world was Angie Kenny doing here? And why now Ridgeway? But it all came back to why she was here. We had left in bad terms, her being here just didn't make sense. That much I remembered.

With a sigh, preparing for the worst, I walked back into the living room just as Fuller was helping Angela settle down.

She looked way different than what I had memory of. Her dark skin made a beautiful contrast against the yellow designer dress she was wearing. Those heels made her taller than me, given that I was wearing slippers. Her hair was done into a wavy neat fall, all brown and silky.

"Regan, it's nice to see you." Angela said. I didn't miss the disapproval look in her face at my attire. I didn't let it bother me.

"Angela. Always a pleasure." I smiled like the polite woman my parents taught me to be and turned to Fuller who had yet to leave. Which meant he had something to say.

"Mr. Scarlatti called. He said he'll be ten minutes late. If there was a problem, to call."

"Thanks, Fuller. Do you know where Laurel is?"

"In her room, ma'am. Cindy just went to give miss Laurel her dinner." Fuller explain, to which I nodded and he did his usual one quarter bow and left.

I turned to Angela, who was looking at the house in appreciation. I motioned for her to sit down and we both did. Across from each other. It felt like a battle.

"Impressive staff you've got. A little over the top with the gate ID confirmation. Did something happen?"

"Just a precaution. Aaron likes things organized." the last bit I guessed from what I'd also seen. "Nothing happened."

"I heard that Laurel is pregnant. Is that why she's living here?"

"Going a little bit too personal, Angela. You don't know my family. Well, Aaron's family, in a personal level. So, why don't you tell me what brought you to my home?" I went for it. She was just pressing for gossip. I really hated that. Not really the gossip, but what ways it had to get twisted before it reached a destination.

"Are you always this rude to your visitors? No wonder this place looks empty. It's meant for reunions, parties, dinners. Without them, its just a waste of space." Even though she was two years my senior, even though we used to be the closest of friends, I couldn't bring myself to care too much of what she said to try and hurt me.

"Aaron and I like our privacy. This place is beautiful and the space is very well used." I smiled at her slight frown, which of course she covered immediately. "Would you like anything to drink?"

"A martini."

"Cindy? Bring Mrs. Ridgeway a martini, please, and a cup of juice for me." I asked of Cindy as she was walking down the last steps of the stairs.

"Right away, ma'am."

"Indeed, very efficient. I heard you were in the hospital. Are you alright? What really happened?"

So she came because of that. Now I really began to appreciate Aaron's decision on paying off to not have out wedding scandalized. Only his business partners and close friends know about our marriage. They were the ones gossiping. And there's the fact that Aaron mentioned, Laurel getting in the hospital. That brought a lot of attention to ourselves.

"I got stabbed and shoved into the pavement by a stranger who wanted to hurt Laurel." I said, remembering the story. Because that's how all this felt like, a story.

A disappointed look crossed Angela's face. I guess she wanted it to be something worse. What a great friend I had.

"You married a Ridgeway." I stated more than asked, seeing as it was her new last name and the huge diamond ring on her finger. Good thing mine wasn't as flashy. It probably would get caught in everything.

"Oh! You noticed." Angela waved her left hand with the sole purpose of me seeing the unnecessarily big ring. Thank God it was only the engagement one that was flashy.

"I married Carter." now she was intently studying my reaction.

Carter Ridgeway. . .

Who- Oh! The Carter Ridgeway I was going to marry. The one she stopped talking to me for. I mean, I didn't know she loved him. And when she finally told me about it was when she left for London. So I went to my mother to call the marriage off, if it was possible, and she surprised me by telling me I was marring a Scarlatti.

Best decision my mother has made of my life.

"Congratulations." I gave my best wishes to her, even though she wasn't taking my reactions so well. Ever since that time she's been trying to make me look bad or find something bad about me to share it with the world.

We all have something to hide. Something bad. None of us is perfect and if one was, well that would be creepy.

"How long have you been married?"

"A month. Everything is going so well! We flew all over Europe for our honeymoon and it's been the best time of my life. Carter is just so perfect! I really love him. We settled down in Paris for the time being. So we're just here on a business trip. But you're not going to believe the amounts of clothing and accessories he's bought me. It's out of this world. He bought a sailing boat and named it after me! Isn't that so romantic?!" She was close to tears.

"Yes it is." Nope. I don't like sailing boats. If the Titanic sank, so could a boat way smaller than that. I'm just not taking any risks.

"Oh! And he bought me a horse! Can you believe it? I have a personal trainer and I'm doing better each time! Everything is just so surreal."

"Sounds very real to me." Considering Carter is nearly as rich as Aaron and Angela was addicted to shopping... "How's Carter doing?"

"Very well. You know business men, always working." she waved me off, finishing up a martini I hadn't seen Cindy place there. Either I was also going blind or I was distracted or that maid was invisible.

"What about your husband? Anything you want to share?" for some reason her suggestive look nearly made me laugh, so I coughed and took a sip of my juice.

"He's-"

"I know I said twenty minutes, but I got held back at the office. How are you feeling? Fuller said you haven't eaten. What if I carry you back up to our room and then we can eat there? That way you're not over doing yourself." Aaron walked up to me after setting down his briefcase on one of the cushion chairs.

"Why do you want to carry me around all of a sudden?" I asked with a smile.

"I don't want you tripping over unstable feet. There's also the fact that I like touching you." he placed a soft kiss on my lips as a promise of more.

I'm still asking myself how we haven't made love just yet.

"We've got company." I chuckled as I pulled away from him.

It was as if he'd just noticed there was someone else in the room. That was comforting. Apparently I do come as a priority.

The way he was looking at her made it seem he wasn't very interested in knowing who she was, but of course he didn't tell her to leave.

"Aaron meet an old friend of mine, Angela Ridgeway. Carter Ridgeway's wife." I explained to Aaron, maybe he knew him. "Angela, my husband, Aaron Scarlatti."

"A pleasure." she smiled, extending her hand in a manner as if expecting him to kiss it.

"Likewise." Aaron said in an unemotional polite tone, leaning in just enough to shake her hand and then turning to look at me. "You can't over do it."

"I'm fine. If I start feeling tired I'll lay down."

"Sir, your father is on the phone." Fuller came in just as Aaron was to comment.

"I'll take it on the study." Aaron said then turned to me with a wince. "Work."

"Go ahead."

"We'll eat together." it was more like a promise than a statement, so I nodded in agreement. "I have a surprise for you."

"You do? What-" I stopped myself as he began to correct me. "Yeah, it'll defeat the purpose of a surprise. Can't help to be curious."

"You're going to like it. I hope." Aaron smiled but there was a fire in his eyes I couldn't remember seeing.

He nodded towards Angela in a manner of saying goodbye and started walking towards the study to just come to a halt and turn to look at me once again.

"Where did Elliot and Alice go?"

Ah, so he did notice them being here but decided to not acknowledge them. Pretty rude and unlike him. I say unlike because if I'm not wrong, we were raised to be very polite even to those who we can't stand. Lashing out at people only made you look back, didn't accomplish anything and pleased the aggravator. But there was also the thing where Elliot and Alice didn't even flinch or looked mad or hurt that Aaron hadn't paid them any mind. They just brushed it off like it was normal. As if they were used to it.

"They had to leave. I'm pretty sure they'll be back soon, all of them. I asked for their... knowledge of past events that I could use."

Aaron's face turned to one of utter confusion, then slowly his eyes brightened and he nodded.

"Great idea. Explain me the details during dinner." And he was off to talk with his father whom I assumed called to either give him more work or take some weight off his shoulders.

"You're pregnant. You're pregnant aren't you?!" Angela laughed as if it was unbelievable. "That's why he seems so attentive. Why he doesn't seem to be interested in anyone else, why he wanted to carry. The reason he's worried for your health. Wanting to spend time with you."

"I'm- I... Angela..."

"Oh my God, you're pregnant! When were you going to tell me?"

"I'm not. I wasn't going to mention anything because there is nothing to mention. I'm not pregnant." I haven't even made love with my husband, how can I be pregnant?

Okay there are ways but I'm pretty certain I'm still a virgin. I remember being one when I married and I'm not the type to cheat on their husband.

"But... How? Why is he acting the way he is then? How can you explain that?" Angela looked really confused and slightly doubtful.

"He's just concerned. I had some serious injuries and it's only natural for him to be worried. Aaron and I aren't having a baby."

Her frown of disappointment was a tad bit confusing. I know why she came here. It was just to gather enough gossip to talk over at a club or whatever reunions she involved herself in. Ever since she confessed her love for Carter we drew apart. She never trusted me and I started to loose my trust in her because of all the different things she came up with to make me look bad. To say that our relationship was complicated was underrated.

For various reasons I felt relieved that Aaron wasn't one to engage in many reunions unless they were absolutely necessary. Well that's what I got from his argument with my mother and all the social media pictures. There were so many images of the Scarlatti family but none actually involving Aaron or myself. It felt relieving that not everyone was aware of my every move.

"Carter and I've been trying to have a baby. Okay, he's been trying to make me have a baby. I really don't want to."

"Why not?" Okay, so we're back to talking about her. That I can deal with.

"I'd ruin my body." She looked at me as if I'd grown another head for not coming up with that conclusion myself. And I was actually thinking there had to be something wrong with her. Who wouldn't want a baby with the person they loved? Maybe not so soon after marrying, but actually agreeing and wanting one in the near future. Not just scratch it off like an old itch.

"But there's also the fact of having a mini Carter running around that has nearly convinced me." Angela shrugged and got up. "I must get going. Carter will soon be back at the hotel. We just came here on strictly business matters. But maybe you guys can come to this small party we're planning if Carter can sign the contract with his client. I'll send you an invitation."

"Flying all the way to-"

"Don't worry about it. We'll probably still be here in the States. If not, I don't see what's the problem in flying to Europe to celebrate a friend's success."

Oh, so now we're back to being friends? Nice to know.

"Send the invitation. Aaron and I will get back at you if there are some compromises that complicate our attending your success party." I smiled, trying to copy Aaron's polite tone. Failed completely but managed to send the message across.

This is not making up for past disagreements.

"We'll stay in touch. Oh don't bother, I know the way out." Angela waved a dismissive hand at me when I tried to show her the way. "Lovely seeing you again Regan. Now that we're on equal ground. Both married I mean."

"Of course. The feeling is mutual."

With a nod of her head, a bright grin on her face and eyes wanting to smack me for my lack of interest, or for simply being distant, she left with a royalty air she believed she had and deserved.

Making true friends in a society like ours was a miracle. One you must hold on tight to. There're always envies and like. That's mainly why I felt comfortable with my high school friends. They treated me like a person, like an equal. Not secretly plotting to bankrupt my father or to play on who had more money or who could buy the best pair of shoes. There were really few people who didn't let the money get to their heads. If they had it, they used it and managed it well.

Just like my husband who was working in the study and had almost promised to have dinner with me most likely in our bed and said he had a surprise for me.

My first thought now was sex but I don't think Aaron is that type of guy. I'm thinking he's more of being carried away at the moment sort of man. Despite his hard side. Maybe it was something completely off my expectations. Maybe it wasn't something romantic or excruciatingly planned sex.

Only way to find out is hurrying dinner up and maybe convince him it's time to go to bed.

Could it be that if I tried to seduce him I'll be able to get a goodnight kiss? But not the gentle and harmless one but the one that stops your heart and brain and can't let you breathe and...

Once again, only one way to find out.

"Fuller!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

372 88 18
The first chapters might be cringe, but please bear with me as it will get better. "Are we over?" Aaron and Ashleigh were two friends who would both...
18.8K 384 30
Idk when I post new chapters it's the last 2 months of school and I have been EXTREMELY busy: Wednesday suddenly realizes that she is in love with so...
121K 4.5K 15
Jasmine was not given a choice of who she was able to love but rather told who she would love. Since the time she was little she was shown only the d...
3.2K 278 100
Love is the glue: it makes people want to keep their commitment to someone, no matter what happens, just a shame that Regan and Gray's relationship w...