It's Not Just Business

By soulstrings

No one told Regan how miserable it could be to care for your husband and not have that returned. Aaron keeps... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Nine

205 7 0
By soulstrings

When I walked out of the bathroom, Aaron was sitting on our bed holding a small bottle. He stood up as soon as he noticed me, extending his arm to give me the bottle.

"What is it?" I asked as I took it.

"It's the ointment. Cream. Whatever. You need to put it on, it'll help to numb the sting of the cuts." Aaron looked a bit flustered.

I set down my dirty clothes, planning on throwing them away.

There was something in Aaron's eyes that I couldn't read, his face was set, not giving any emotion away.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked.

"Am I okay? Am I okay?!" he laughed bitterly this time. "I'm not the one who took a roll down hill!"

"You don't have to remind me. I'm embarrassed enough." I opened the lotion bottle and started applying some on my arms.

"This was a bad idea," Aaron cut himself off as his phone vibrated on the nightstand.

"Answer. It has to be important."

Aaron sighed and grabbed the phone, placed it by his ear.

"Yes?" there was a long pause, but the expression on Aarons face worried me. "What do you-- no, I'm going. Yes, I'll cover all of it. Of course. . . Can you inform my parents? Ah... no it's fine, I'll be there as soon as possible."

He didn't move, just held the phone in his hand as he stared straight head. Worry all over his face.

"Aaron? What's going on?" I stood in front of him, watching him blink several times as he looked up at me. There was pain and fear in his eyes, emotions that I rarely got a glimpse of.

"Laurel." he swallowed and closed his eyes tightly before looking straight into mine. "She's been in the hospital for two days. My parents aren't taking responsibility for her. Laurel has always been trouble, and now she had an alcohol intoxication. She's pregnant, Regan, and she and the baby barely made it out alive."

I didn't know what to say, I was too shocked to even try. So I wrapped my arms around him and felt him do the same. I'd never seen him so vulnerable. Ever. It tore my heart apart.

When he didn't make a move to call anyone to come for us after I pulled away from him, I took the phone in his hand, too worried to search for mine, and called Fuller.

"Fuller, it's Regan."

"Hello Mrs., what can I do for you?" at the same time he asked that my friends knocked on the door and came into the room. They paused when they saw Aaron and I, but I motioned for them to come in anyways. They were very quiet about it too.

"We need to you send a driver for us. Make sure to let him know he's going to be taking Aaron's place in staying here at the camp, only until tomorrow evening." I paused to look down at Aaron who was holding my hand with a worried gaze. I pulled the phone away.

"Are we taking Laurel home?" I asked Aaron. He glanced at me with a bit of a surprise look. Then he simply nodded.

"Fuller, have Rita and Cindy prepare a guest room for Laurel. Also, make sure to have all alcohol beverages under lock and key." Aaron tightened his grip on my hand, I guess it was a form of thank you.

"Of course Mrs., anything else?"

"No, that's all for now. Thank you." I hung up, placing the phone on the bed. When Aaron didn't move I started packing everything, then paused to look at our attire.

"Is Laurel in this city?" I asked Aaron.

"Yes. She was on her way to my parent's. I guess her flight got canceled or something." he let out a shaky breath. "Regan, the baby-"

"Both are going to be fine." I assured as I held his face in my hands. "We're going to make sure she doesn't do anything stupid until the baby is born. Now change into this, knowing her there's going to be a lot of reporters."

I handed him a pair of black jeans and a white button up shirt. It was the closest thing to decent for reporters not to make much annoying comments. And if my gut was right, Aaron wont have the energy to pay them off to not post anything. So I pushed him into the bathroom for him to change and I started to do the same. I looked for my best dress.

"Turn around guys." I said to my friends who rapidly obeyed. As soon as I was finished, I slipped on some shoes and started closing the suitcases, leaving Aaron's open to pack the clothes he was taking off.

"I'm sorry about this, but Aaron and I have to go. We'll leave a person behind to take his place." I explained.

"What's going on Regan?" Elliot asked.

"Aaron's sister is in the hospital. She's pregnant." I rubbed my temple as I felt another headache forming. "We have to go and--" I sighed again. "It's complicated."

And that's how things got from bad to worse.

"Do you want us to come with?" Leah got up from her sitting position on her bed to come to stand in front of me, offering a reassuring squeeze on my forearm.

"No. We'll be fine. It's best if you guys stay here. Laurel isn't the nicest person out there, she's going to be having withdrawal." I ran a hand down my hair, shutting my eyes tightly. "Fuller's going to send a driver, he's going to stay with you guys. I'm sure whoever he sends will be to your liking."

"Don't worry about us, darling." Greg smiled at me. "We'll be fine."

"Plus we'll be the center of attention once you leave. Everyone is going to be asking us what happened." Jared shook his head as he rolled his eyes.

"I'll appreciate if you didn't say anything. Aaron is very conservative about his personal life and so am I. We'll already have drama going on at home, I don't need to find more in school."

"Hey, don't worry. We'll just go around saying: "No comments", we're going to be pros at this. Just call us if anything." Alice said, making me relax.

The bathroom's door opened and Aaron came out wearing the outfit I handed him. Of course his sleeves were rolled up to his elbows. But now wasn't the time to be fantasizing about my husband. So I took his clothes and placed it inside the suitcase.

I grabbed my purse and dumped the medication I just recently received in it. Now we have to wait.

It was half an hour later and we were all still inside the cabin. I was sitting on the bed Aaron and I shared, staring at my phone to check the time every now and again. My husband was walking back and forth near the door, looking at it several times as if waiting for someone to pop in. All the while my friends gathered on Alice's bed and Leah's bed as they waited patiently and quietly.

In all honesty this waiting was killing me and Laurel wasn't my immediate family. We didn't share blood or childhood memories or any sort of good memories together. But Aaron, for him it was a whole different feeling. Laurel was, is, his sister.

Aaron's phone rang and he beat me to answering it. The look on his face turned grim. Then he grabbed our things with one hand, inclining his head to the door, letting me now we were leaving. I did a similar motion with my hand to my friends. I opened the door for Aaron and then we were making our way to the office where I assume whoever was on the other end of the line was at.

Sure enough there was one of Aaron's cars parked several feet from the main office. No one seemed to be inside, but Aaron left all the bags on the ground beside the car.

When he hung up, Fred came out of the office. His face was serious and he had the no-time-for-jokes cloak on. It didn't surprise me when he hugged Aaron and then me.

"I heard what happened. It's all over the news, so you're going to be swamped with reporters by the time you step out of the car. I shouldn't be staying here I could help." Fred sounded frustrated.

"These guys need an adult and you're their only option. They leave tomorrow evening. The bus will only stop at the school, I'll call Fuller to send someone for you." Aaron ran a nervous hand down his hair. "I'm sorry to make you get away from your wife."

"It's alright. I work for you. I'm doing my job. And I honestly hope Laurel gets well soon." Fred patted Aaron's arm in reassurance and turned to smile at me. "Make sure he behaves, darling."

"Of course." I kissed his cheek in a goodbye gesture. "Don't be too harsh on my friends. I'll let Leah do the introductions, we have to go now."

I pointed at Leah so he knew who I was talking about. Fred nodded and helped Aaron place all the bags on the trunk of the car.

"Let's go Regan." Aaron ordered as he got behind the wheel.

"Call us if you need anything!" Elliot shouted as I closed the door of the car and Aaron didn't waste a minute to start on our way.

He broke many speed limits, red lights, and all these laws for driving safely. I didn't blame him of course. But I did fasten my seat belt, just a precaution.

"She's going to be fine." I offered, Aaron didn't answer or made any sort of acknowledgement so I didn't try to soothe him in any other way. I just sat and stared straight ahead. If he didn't want words or actions of comfort, I wont give them.

The silence was eating me but I didn't make an attempt to stop it.

We arrived at the hospital and Aaron parked the car close to the entrance that was blocked by a mass of reporters. I guess I never took it too seriously that anyone would want to know about the Scarlatti family. I mean it's not like they're movie stars or any of the sort. They're a business company. But I guess many still wanted something to gossip about.

Aaron got out of the car and I followed his act. Then when I was by his side, his arm went around my waist and he held me close.

"Don't say anything. Just keep walking." he ordered as we neared the entrance of the hospital.

I noticed guards, I guess they're the ones blocking the reporters from sprinting in. And the commotion began when they noticed who was trying to make his way through the mob.

"It's Aaron Scarlatti! Mr. Scarlatti!"

"What are your thoughts about what your sister did?"

"Is it true Miss Laurel Scarlatti is pregnant."

"Who's accompanying you?"

"Was it drug overdose? Alcohol poisoning? Did she have an abortion?"

"Miss! Miss! What is your relationship to the Scarlatti family?"

I hid my face in Aaron's chest. Trying to block all the lights and faces. I even felt someone try to grab my arm to pull me, but Aaron's grip on me was strong.

"Aaron Scarlatti. Let me through." Aaron told one of the security guards who hesitated. "I don't have time to show you my ID. Let me through."

The security men eyed each other and then they finally nodded. The door opened and Aaron and I hurried through it before any reporter got in. Aaron let go of my waist to grab my hand as we nearly ran to the reception area.

"Laurel Scarlatti, what room is she in?" Aaron demanded.

"I'm sorry. Family only." the woman in her early fifties said without looking up.

"We are family. Room?" Aaron sounded exasperated.

The woman looked up from the desk to stare at Aaron with a bored expression.

"I said family only. No reporters are allowed."

"I'm her brother. Which room?" Aaron placed his ID on the desk, the woman looked at it and then at Aaron. Her expression didn't change.

"Second floor, room 204." she handed the ID back and Aaron pulled me to the elevators.

"We should take the stairs." I tried to pull him, but didn't succeed.

"Why? This is faster." Aaron gave my hand a tug that had me stumbling back to his side.

"I'm claustrophobic! If you don't want another thing to worry or annoy you then we should take the stairs." he simply stared at me. "You don't want to see me panic, Aaron. We're taking the stairs."

"Fine." he dragged me up the stairs. I had to hurry my pace otherwise I would be left behind.

There were another pair of security guards standing outside of Laurel's room. Once they saw us, one stepped forward and placed a hand on Aaron's chest to stop him. That was a bad idea.

"No reporters allowed. I don't know how you got in, but you can't go pass this point." the guard warned.

Aaron looked ready to punch his way through so I went to speak for both of us. I mean, what's with all of them confusing us with reporters?

"We're not reporters. Laurel is Aaron's sister and we'd like to see her." I explained.

"You're Aaron Scarlatti?" it seemed as if the guard was accusing Aaron of an unforgivable crime.

"Yes. And I'll like to see her."

"You can go through but she can't." the guard pointed at me.

"She's my wife and she's going where I'm going." Aaron pushed pass the stunned guard and we went through the door.

Laurel laid there, looking too pale to be normal. Her eyes were red, her lips dry. Her arms and legs where tied to the bed. An iv stuck in her arm. I didn't notice any bump in her stomach, so she may not be that many months due.

I tried not to grimace at the sight.

"Hey brother. Afraid I disappointed you." she said with a laugh and this time I did grimaced. She didn't seem to care about her situation.

"What were you thinking? Laurel, you're pregnant! You can't drink while you're pregnant. Do you know what it could've done to the baby?" Aaron scolded as he went to stand closer to the bed.

"Oh please, they were just a few shots. The baby is fine. I asked them to take it out but I'm already two months and they refused." Laurel said in a disgusted tone.

Aaron stared at her open mouthed for what seemed like an eternity.

"You wanted to have an abortion?" something flashed in Laurel's eyes, it seemed like guilt and regret but it was gone all too soon.

"Look, I don't want to be a mother. I'm not even a good woman, how am I going to raise a child? I'm a mess Aaron, you know that."

"You are having the baby and after you give birth I'm sending you to rehab, whether you like it or not. And when you come out you're going to be a damned good mother Laurel. It's past time you took some responsibility." Aaron said in a firm voice. There was no point in arguing with that. Well I wouldn't have, but Laurel didn't seemed the last bit intimidated.

"I'm not going to rehab. I'm not an addict. The damned condom ripped, I was being careful. And I don't want the baby. I'll hand it over to an orphanage then get on with my life."

How could she be so cold about all this? How could she talk that way about her baby? Doesn't she have a heart?

"Laurel, I'm not giving you a choice. You are going into rehab. You are keeping the baby. You are taking responsibility. And I'll make sure you don't do anything stupid, if it's even possible. You're going to live with Regan and I until the baby is born. Afterwards Regan and I will take care of the baby until you get out of the clinic I plan to send you to. And if you don't come out with a sense of responsibility, care and love for your child, I'm going to send you to a psychologist." Aaron said eerily calm.

Laurel had a staring contest with him, which she lost. Then she glared at me. I didn't look down or made any sign that her stare bothered me or that I was scared of her. I wasn't about to let her step all over me again. It happened once, wont happen again.

"You two are still together? I figured my brother would've dumped you already." Laurel laughed. "You're not pregnant are you?"

I simply shook my head and she laughed again, this time she looked at Aaron with an evil glint in her eyes.

"Afraid she'll die giving birth like the other one, brother?"

Aaron took two full steps back, he looked as if Laurel had slapped him in the face. He was pale and looked at her with so much pain that it made my heart ache for him.

"How could you?" Aaron managed to accuse and then he got out of the room.

I finally let Laurel's words sink in.

Aaron's previous wife had died. I never knew how. But now, thanks to Laurel that question was answered. She'd died giving birth.

Was that one of the reasons Aaron didn't want to make love with me? Was he afraid I'll get pregnant and die? But there were several methods of protection. What was Aaron really afraid of?

My head snapped towards Laurel. She was crying and regret was all over her face.

"Grow up Laurel." I said and walked out of the room. She's older than me and behaved like an inconsiderate little girl.

"Where did Aaron go?" I asked the guards at the door.

"He went that way Miss, he entered the restrooms."

"Hey you cant go in there!" they other yelled as I entered the men's restroom.

Aaron was crying.

He was kneeling on the floor crying.

I had a thought in which I told myself to just leave him alone, that he needed time by himself. But I decided against it. He's my husband and he's hurting. The least I can do is try to comfort him, to be next to him. So I locked the restroom's door and walked up to Aaron. His shoulders were shaking, his face was hidden by his hands and I could hear the occasional sob. I finally knelt beside him and placed a hesitant hand on his back. I began running long circles, trying to sooth him somehow.

"You shouldn't be here." that stung coming from him.

"I know." I continued running soothing circles at his back. Then he was holding me. Well, his face was on my chest as he continued to cry. I cradled it in my arms and didn't comment on anything as he held onto me like a lifeline.

We knelt there for a very long time. I held back the tears. Granted, I didn't really know what it was to feel that kind of pain. No one I held close to my heart had died. But Aaron had lived through that. And that's what pained me. His grief pained me because I cared for him. I was starting to care too much.

The cries and occasional sobs stopped and Aaron pulled away, not letting me see his face. He got up with his back to me and all I could come up with a reason was that it embarrassed him to have cried on me.

"I would like to be alone for a second." Aaron finally said, his voice cracking a little. "Please."

"Of course. I'll go talk to the doctors. See when we can take Laurel home." I wanted to get near him but now wasn't the time. He needed to be alone and I was not about to fight that decision. So I walked out of the restroom just like he wanted me to.

I walked inside Laurel's room to ask her which doctor was in charge but found said man already inside. His back was to me as he scribbled something on a sheet. Laurel was glaring at him and then she noticed me.

"How is he?" she dared to ask, making the doctor look up from the notes he was scribbling to stare at me with curiosity.

"Better." I said in a sharp tone making her scowl at me and the doctor raise an eyebrow at my tone. Then I directed myself at the doctor. The sooner we left the better.

"When will she be able to leave?"

"Anytime today. She hasn't been let out because the medical services haven't been paid. And no one has taken responsibility for her." the doctor explained.

"I'm a grown woman to be taken care of. And if you'd called my parents they'll have paid you already." Laurel accused.

"They were informed and refused to take care of the expenses." I didn't have any satisfaction from the hurt and confusion shown in her face. I was far too mad at her. "But we'll take care of that."

"Are you going to pay?" the doctor looked me up and down. "I'm afraid you aren't of legal age. You certainly can't-"

"Her brother will pay, don't worry." then I turned to Laurel. "And you should apologize to Aaron since you'll be living with us for quite a while. You don't want him mad at you."

"Oh I know my brother better than you, girl. There won't be any problems. He's going to let me be and I'll let him live in peace." Laurel shrugged getting off the bed. I noticed a pair of clothes at the end of the bed. She grabbed them and walked into the bathroom.

"Don't be so sure." I said before she closed the door. I sighed and glanced warily at the doctor. "Is the baby going to be fine?"

"We're hoping he's born healthy. But she should refrain from drinking alcohol or taking drugs. She should eat very healthy. I would hand you a diet." he started scribbling down on the sheet again. "May I ask what is your relationship to Miss Laurel? You two don't seem to get along."

When I simply stared at him he blushed a little.

"I'm sorry, it's none of my business. It's just that you're the first person who has come to visit her."

"It's alright. I'm married to her brother. We just found out she was here." I rubbed my neck uncomfortably.

"He doesn't hit you." it wasn't a question but an accusation sort of thing.

I stared blankly at him. Why would he ask that? Then I remembered the fall at the hill and blushed in embarrassment.

"No. Of course not. He wouldn't." I was nearly a hundred percent sure. I mean he does have his temper, but not once has he raised his hand at me. I hope it stays that way. "We were on a trip and I graciously took a roll down a hill."

"Well that sure changes from the running into doors routine." the doctor kept staring at me as if waiting for me to brake down.

"Aaron doesn't hit me." I stated firmly just as Aaron came into the room. His eyes were still a bit red from crying and he looked a bit pale.

"Where's Laurel?" he asked me. Completely ignoring the doctor who stared accusingly at him.

"She's changing. We can take her home as soon as we pay the services."

"Okay." Aaron sighed, running a hand over his face. "You're still taking care of everything at the house. Only your orders and mine are obeyed. She's not going anywhere for the next eight months."

"You don't intend to keep her locked up." I stared at him. "Do you?"

"I'm grounding her."

"Aaron, she's twenty-four."

"And acts like a fifteen year old. It's time someone kept her in line." Aaron argued to which I nodded.

"All ready to go, brother. You can drop me off at Mal's house. I'll have someone-"

"Shut up." Aaron ordered in a stern voice. Daring anyone to defy him. "You are moving in with Regan and I. You will follow our rules. No more parties for you. No more getting drunk or high. You will do what's best for the baby. You're an adult Laurel, it's time you started acting like one."

"Just because Lillian died doesn't mean I will too!"

This time Aaron didn't even flinch.

"Lillian was far more mature than you are. Don't compare yourself to her! You are going to be responsible for your actions. And you're going to be a good mother." Aaron snapped angrily. "Don't even bother calling mom or dad, they don't want to hear from you. And you're not allowed to have visitors. All your friends are a bad influence anyways."

"So you're keeping me prisoner?"

"Yes!"

This time Aaron turned to the doctor who stared back and forth all of us. If I didn't know better I'd say he was awed by us. Or the situation.

"You're her doctor?"

"Yes. Samuel Muldoon."

"I would like if you'll come check on her every two weeks or so. I would pay for your services, of course."

The doctor seemed startled by Aaron's proposition but he ended up agreeing. I'm sure Aaron had a family doctor but maybe he wanted Mr. Muldoon because he was the one who kept Laurel healthy up to now. I think. But I didn't dare question him now. He was far too mad.

Aaron paid and it was another adventure to go through the mob of reporters outside. He once again held me close to him, having Laurel on his other side. He was very careful in seeing that they didn't get too close to hurt her or me for that matter. Once inside the car he pulled out and we were heading home.

My phone vibrated and I saw a text from Elliot.

Girl, you and your husband are all over the news. Are you alright? How did everything go? Do you need anything? Give me a call when you can.

I smiled a little and replied.

Everything's good. No need to worry. I'll call when I get home.

I was really hoping I could keep some of my sanity not to throw something at Laurel. The day I met her she'd been mean, disrespectful and mad at me for some reason. I can't imagine what she would be like now that she's going to live with us. Not forgetting that she didn't have permission to get out of the house or that she didn't have any authority in said place. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

372 88 18
The first chapters might be cringe, but please bear with me as it will get better. "Are we over?" Aaron and Ashleigh were two friends who would both...
4.6K 126 14
This is the sequel to my best friend and I'll have the first chapter up as soon as possible!
339K 11.9K 41
RECENTLY EDITED "I know you hate me but can't we at least pretend to be in love?!" Aaron is a strong silent boy who cries in his nightmares and stru...