It's Not Just Business

By soulstrings

No one told Regan how miserable it could be to care for your husband and not have that returned. Aaron keeps... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Eight

225 9 1
By soulstrings

We all gathered in the cafeteria for breakfast. I sat between Aaron and Elliot, with a plate of pancakes and scrambled eggs, bacon on the side of course. Aaron had gone for the same thing while Elliot had just a pile of pancakes in front of him.

Jared sat on the chair on the side of the table, with a plate full with scrambled eggs and bacon. Alice, Leah and Greg sat across from Aaron, Elliot and I. Leah and Alice shared a salad while Greg had a chicken sandwich.

Aaron and I drank coffee while the rest had a big cup of orange juice.

"We were thinking," Jared started, earning eager nods from Elliot and Greg. "That since its early and we're all full of energy, maybe we could go hiking."

All their heads turned to look at Aaron. Who seemed to enjoy having the last word. He let them suffer for a few minutes, not saying anything as everyone continued eating a bit gloomy.

"Alright." he finally said, making my friend's face go from miserable to ecstatic. "But," my friends groaned. "We're going to town to grab some food."

The guys visibly relaxed when they noticed it was just that what Aaron wanted. They really felt wary around him. Always thinking he was going to ruin their plans.

It turned out we had to let Mr. Parker know where we were going. But first we all had to dress properly. Elliot, Greg and Jared went into their cabin while Alice, Leah, Aaron and I did the same.

Alice and Leah started undressing right beside their beds, Aaron had his back to them. After grabbing his clothes, he went inside the bathroom to change more appropriately.

I changed into a pair of faded blue jeans, using a belt just in case. Then I slipped a plain white blouse on, I tied the necklace Aaron had given me around my neck. I proceeded to change my sandals for a pair of tennis shoes. And decided to pull my hair into a pony tail.

I turned around and the girls were wearing something similar to myself. Alice had black jeans on with a bright pink blouse while Leah had brown jeans and a white blouse on. Both wore tennis shoes and had their duffle bag in their hand. I followed example.

Seconds later Aaron came out of the bathroom wearing a pair of jeans with a white shirt on. We matched.

"Let's go. We still have to stop by the office, grab food and start the trip. I want to be back before dawn." Aaron voiced his thoughts, taking the duffle bag from me so I could wear messenger bag. I guess we're storing food there too. The duffle bag was filled with blankets, a first aid kit that Fuller said was essential in places like these, also a change of clothes for Aaron and I. I think there was even a bottle of liquor in there.

"What did Fuller pack in here?" Aaron asked as we walked out of the cabin, waiting for the guys to come out of theirs.

"You don't want to know." I chuckled.

Moments later Elliot, Jared and Greg came out of their cabin. All wearing similar outfits as us. Each with a duffle bag.

We started making our way to the office. Aaron was a bit reluctant about letting people know of his every move. But I think it was more likely the fact that he was sort of asking permission. He's used to ordering people and stating facts, never really having to ask permission to do something. Much less ask permission from our P.E. teacher, who I know Aaron dislikes.

As we all entered the office, our teacher was sitting behind a desk. He was eating, it looked awful and he was enjoying every bit of it.

"Mr. Scarlatti, what can I do for you?" Mr. Parker ignored the rest of us.

We all crowded the room. There were already two students, and a person I didn't recognize, inside the office.

"I'm taking them to town and we're going hiking." Aaron stated.

Mr. Parker frowned giving us disapproving looks.

"Mr. Scarlatti, I don't doubt your methods in keeping these kids in check but-"

"I'm not asking permission. I'm letting you know so you don't have anyone searching for us. We'll be back by dawn."

"But-"

"If I remember well, you don't have authority over these kids. Their parents signed a permission slip, they will be within the camp's grounds with adult supervision. And you certainly have no authority over me or my wife."

"I won't take responsibility if anything happens to these kids. It's all on you Mr. Scarlatti." Mr. Parked said annoyed.

"Of course." Aaron grinned triumphantly and we walked out of the office.

"Why weren't you here last year?" Elliot chuckled.

"We've been trying to go hiking for two years and they never allowed it." Jared grinned.

"It's going to be unforgettable. Did you bring your camera Alice?" Greg turned to his friend.

"Damn right. Now let go get food!" Alice threw her fist in the air, the guys cheering as we started to make our way to the town.

After a few minutes, Aaron and I were following the guys since they were the ones who knew the way. But of course Aaron had the last word in everything. Like when he told them not to walk on the street, someone could run them over. My friends rolled their eyes but always did as told.

"You enjoy this, don't you?" I asked, hiding a chuckle as Elliot tripped and nearly took Greg down with him.

"Enjoy what?"

"Being in full control. Being the absolute voice of authority." I replied. Aaron frowned, looking straight ahead. Watching my friends with calculated manner. I have a feeling that if he had something in his hand to throw, he'll aim at my friend's head.

"Maybe." he answered at last.

"I like it." I paused as he looked down at me. "To some extent."

He opened his mouth to say something but I ran up to Alice, taking the camera from her to take a picture of her and Leah as they walked. Then handled it back to take one with them. I felt Aaron's eyes on me but did my best to ignore it.

He didn't want clingy? Well, I'm not going to give him clingy.

I want him to feel as confused as me when he goes from all cuddly and kissing me, touching me, to distant, emotionless and cold. But the bigger thing was that I also wanted to spend time with my friends. I have a feeling that when Aaron and I get all cuddly or are left alone too much, they get uncomfortable.

So half of the way to town I walked along with the guys, laughing at their jokes and taking pictures now and again as we walked.

It was when we were close to town, enough to see some stores, that I walked back to Aaron. He didn't acknowledged my presence and I cursed myself. I felt guilt eating me away as he practically ignored my presence, just like I'd done minutes ago.

If I didn't want him to treat me the way he does, I shouldn't treat him the same way. If I want love, I should give him love. If I want attention I should also give it.

I didn't try to make conversation, not until my friends were busy enough to not hear my apology and what would most likely turn into an ugly argument. Like usual.

My chance came when we entered the town's busy store. It was small but filled with what we needed. The guys dispersed and I stuck close to Aaron.

"I'm sorry." I blurted.

"What for?" Aaron looked down at me confused, then turned to look at the bags of chips in front of him.

Oh how I wanted to slap some sense into that thick head of his, but I refrained myself from doing so.

"For ignoring you half the way here." maybe if I apologized first, he'll do the same.

Oh how wrong I was.

"Apology accepted." was all he said as he grabbed two different bags of chips and started walking away. Of course I followed him. This time he stopped in front of a bunch of packaged cookies.

"You're really going to ignore me. Just like you always have." I sighed, trying to not let the hurt show in my face or voice. I don't think it worked. "But I apologized."

"Regan-"

"I apologized." I repeated more firmly in a low voice. "I did when you, not even once, have apologized for the way you treat me. What is it that you want Aaron? Because I can't keep guessing."

Once again I walked away. But this time I did wait for a reply. I got none.

Tears threatened to spill, so I walked to where the drinks were at. I grabbed some water, a soda, an energy drink and some orange juice.

After all this time, I still haven't figured out what I did wrong. I still haven't figured out what makes Aaron snap. One second he's all over me and the next he pushes me as far away as possible. Does he have a double personality or something?

No.

He just doesn't know what he wants. And his indecision is hurting me.

"Hey Regan, do you want a ham sandwich or chicken one?" Leah came into view, holding a basket filled with junk food and sandwiches. On her other hand she held the choices of sandwich she was offering me.

"I'll take both." I extended my hand to take them, barely managing to not drop anything.

"Where's the hubby?" Jared came behind Leah, holding another basket filled to the top.

Where did they get them and why didn't I have one right now?

"Grabbing things." I stated.

"You guys had a fight." Leah concluded.

I guess I didn't hide my emotions as well as my husband did. But I played it cool with my friends, just shrugging like it was no big deal.

"It's nothing."

"Is it because we're going hiking?" Jared frown, the guilt evident in his face.

"No. Of course not. It has nothing to do with you guys. Just some minor differences." I assured.

Minor my ass.

"How you can keep up with his mood swings is impressive." Jared smiled a little at me. "Was he always this way? If he was, how you accepted to married him is beyond me."

"You've got to learn to love the person's flaws too. Love them for what they are." I explained and wished I could take my own words and apply them to my marriage.

I didn't love Aaron. Not yet, anyways. And it's not like he was encouraging me to do so.

After buying whatever we thought we would need for the hike, we all headed to where Jared said was the right direction.

I've never been hiking or gone anywhere with so much peacefulness. I like the woods.

Alice walked next to Jared, squished between him and Elliot. They were leading the group. Supposedly a friend of Jared had done this last year and had given him specific directions of where to go. In a few words, we were trusting Jared with our lives here. If we got lost... he'll pay.

Greg and Leah walked behind them, talking over random things. Aaron and I walked side by side behind all of our friends. We didn't say a word to each other, of course.

"Let's take a picture!" Alice said excitedly as we came to a stop.

"I'll take it." I offered, extending my hand to take the camera, which was quickly moved out of my reach.

"No way. We're all coming out. I'll just set it here and..." she started pushing buttons away as we all gathered to fit the picture.

The ground we were standing on wasn't the best. It was a bit down hill, you could say. With so many twigs. I'd tripped over a few on our way up. Aaron had to keep steadying me and I know it annoyed him. He'll catch me and let go immediately. He'll also murmur something under his breath, but it was so low I couldn't even guess.

"Alright. Three seconds!" Alice came running back to us.

She stood between Leah and me. Aaron was behind Leah with the rest of the guys standing, with big grins on their faces, next to him and Leah.

I shifted my footing, trying to get more solid ground. Still smiling when I slipped. I let out a scream, naturally, as I fell.

Oh but I didn't just fall in place. I rolled down. Yeah, so attractive. God it hurt so much. I heard shouts, them calling my name, cursing. I didn't stop rolling until I hit a three with my back. I think it was a three.

I tried to stand up but my body hurt too much. My vision turned blurry now and again.

"Regan!" I recognized Aaron's frantic voice. Soon I could see his pretty face and I tried to smile, to assure him I was okay. I couldn't.

Soon the faces of my friends joined his and everyone was talking at the same time. Making my already headache worse. I tried to block their voices but it was no use. My head was throbbing and my body ached.

"Quiet!" Aaron ordered, succeeding in shutting my friends up. "Regan, can you move your legs?"

"I- I think so." I mumbled, still a bit disoriented.

"How about you try moving them for me?" why is his voice so gentle? Why is his hand holding mine as if his life depended on it?

But I didn't dare to argue. I knew what he was doing here. Making sure I could still move properly. So I moved my legs and groaned a little.

"Okay. Okay. That's good. It's good right? Okay." Aaron sounded frantic as he pushed my hair off my face. "Does your head hurt?" when I nodded he continued. "I'm going to move it a little. You tell me if it hurts. Do you understand?"

"Yes." I managed. He started probing my head with his fingers, then he reached a spot and I hissed. "That hurt. A lot."

Aaron pulled his hand away and I saw blood in it. Ironically, all the blood of Aaron's face disappeared. He looked pale as a ghost. His eyes wide. I heard a curse that wasn't his, so I assumed it was one of the guys.

"Does anything else hurt?" Jared's face came into view.

"Everything." I let out a whimper as I tried to get up. Keyword: tried. I failed miserably.

"I'm taking you back to the camp. They have a doctor there. Right?" Aaron asked no one in particular but Greg had the need to answer.

"There should be a nurse there."

"Okay. Okay." Aaron's hands were shaking. "Can someone bring me my duffle bag. I think she mentioned there was a first aid kit there. We need something to stop the bleeding."

I heard movement, twigs snapping as someone went up to get our things.

"Hey it's okay. I'm ok-"

"Regan!"

Everything went pitch black.

When I came back to my senses, I was so dizzy I thought I would throw up. Then I noticed I was being carried. Strong and firm arms held me close to a chest. I raised my eyes and saw Aaron's firm expression. He was sweating, pale, looked about to pass out.

"Aaron?" my voice sounded hoarse.

"You're going to be fine. We're almost there." he assured me.

Sure enough, a few minutes later the camp came into view. I hid my face in Aaron's chest to avoid everyone's stares. But curiosity had me lifting it once in a while.

"I'll go get the nurse." I recognized Elliot's voice.

"I'll go get the bed ready." I saw Leah and Alice run ahead of us.

"What's all this commotion?!" a male voice shouted. I didn't hear anything at first. I think everyone was just shocked to see us. I can only imagine the picture we must make.

Elliot running off to get a nurse. Alice and Leah running away as if their life is at risk, to go fix a bed. Aaron, pale and sweaty, carrying me. I imagine my hair is filled with twigs, my clothes torn and dirty, my body filled with bruises and scratches. Oh and lets not forget the fact that I was bleeding.

"Move out of the way people!" Greg and Jared started pushing and yelling at students stupid enough to stand in our way and watch with awe and shock.

"Mr. Scarlatti what's going on here?" so it was Mr. Parker who had shouted before.

"Are you blind or just brain damaged?!" Aaron snapped as he hurried his pace. "Anyone with a resemblance of a brain can see that my wife is hurt. Stop asking stupid questions! I need a doctor, a nurse, anything!"

There was a short silence before Mr. Parker spoke again. "I hate to say this, but I told you it was risky to go hiking. And now you see the consequences."

Aaron came to a halt and turned around. His grip on me tightened.

"If I wasn't holding Regan, if she wasn't hurt, I'll punch you and make sure you never were able to work. I'll appreciate if you refrained from following me, or getting anywhere near me. I'm asking nicely." Aaron's voice dripped venom.

I managed to lift my hand to cup his cheek and make him look down at me.

"Please." was all I said. He nodded and started walking again.

As soon as he set me down on the bed, Elliot came in with the doctor. It was a young looking man. He wore casual clothing. If I had seen him I would've never thought he was a doctor.

"What happened?" the doctor asked as he started taking things out of his kit. Aaron moved out of the way to give the doctor space.

"We went hiking. She slipped and rolled down. Hit her back with a tree. Her head was bleeding, I placed several gauzes to try and stop it." Aaron explained rapidly.

The doctor made me sit properly and started examining my head.

"It won't need stitches. I'll just clean the wound and put gauzes over it again." the doctor explained as he worked. "Did she seem confused or unable to recognize any of you?"

When Aaron didn't answer the doctor sighed.

"I'm going to need to contact her parents or legal guardian. We need to make sure everything is okay with her memory." the doctor informed as he kept probing onto my wounds, earning a hiss from me. "The rest are minor scratches. They'll heal quickly. The bruises will disappear in about a week. Only thing I'm worried about is her head."

"I'm her husband. I take full responsibility for her." Aaron stated, still looking a bit pale.

"Alright. I'm going to give her some pain killers. An ointment for the cuts. Anything she's allergic to?"

"No. Nothing."

"Okay. Now, I'm going to ask some questions, just to see if there's any damage. You'll verify if what she's saying is right." The doctor told Aaron who just nodded.

"What's your name?"

"Regan Scarlatti."

"How old are you?"

"Eighteen."

"What year is this?"

"Two thousand and thirteen." I wanted to punch him. He's making me feel like a little kid. My memory was intact. But Aaron's penetrating stare stopped me from being rude. He was worried I had memory loss or any sort of brain damage.

I only want to rest.

"Are you married?"

"Yes."

"To who?"

I started to make a joke, just to lighten the mood but Aaron's gaze once again stopped me. He looked beyond worried. Anxious to know my reply. So I pointed at him as I said his name.

"Aaron Scarlatti."

"Can you name the people in this room?" the doctor asked as he stepped to the side to let me see the grim faces of my friends.

"That's Alice, Leah, Greg, Elliot and Jared. They're friends from school. We came here on a three day trip, my husband is supervising us, you could say. I'm a single child." I sighed. "I don't have memory loss doctor. I'm just tired."

"Alright. But you need to shower. You don't want those cuts infected." then he turned to Aaron. "Make sure she takes the pills and puts on the ointment, it'll help to heal the wounds faster. Don't leave her alone. I don't like the wound in her head. As soon as you leave take her to a hospital to have it checked. Just in case."

Then he was gone.

"I'm sorry for ruining your day." I apologized.

"None sense. Now you're going to shower and sleep this off." Aaron handed me two pills and a bottle filled with water. "Take them."

"It's a good thing we leave tomorrow at noon. You can have your head checked." Leah smiled at me.

"And don't worry. We had our fun. Accidents happen. After all this is over we'll be laughing at our selves." Elliot grinned.

"Alright guys, let's give them some space." Alice started pushing the guys towards the door of the cabin. "We'll be in their cabin to let you rest."

"Thank you." I smiled. "Even though you don't want to hear it, I am sorry to have ruined your day. My clumsiness come out on the worst of times."

"It's alright. We'll just hang out and check out the pictures. Once we get back we'll make copies and give them to you." Alice assured as she finished pushing Jared out of the door. Leah was behind her, she made a motion for me not to worry about a thing, mumbling she'll talk to Mr. Parker about what had happened.

Once they were out Aaron was pacing the room.

"We shouldn't have gone. I knew it was a bad idea."

I managed to stand, trying not to wince at how much everything hurt.

"I'm fine. It's not my first fall. You married a clumsy girl, get used to it. I also bruise easily, so don't fret over it. I'm not as delicate or fragile as everyone seems to think. The bruises and the cuts will be gone in a couple of days."

"They shouldn't be there in the first place. Maybe I should hire a home tutor. This school is only giving you trouble."

"You wouldn't. I finally have real friends. Well, honest ones. If you get me a home tutor I wont have any more. And the sons and daughters of your coworkers and associates are a bunch of hypocrites and so judgmental I'm impressed they haven't drowned in it." I sighed. "This happens everyday. Someone trips, someone get into fights. It nothing to be worried about. I'll be fine. Now stop worrying or whatever it is that you're feeling. I'm going to shower."

He didn't say a thing.

I grabbed my towel and a new change of clothes. Then walked inside the bathroom. That's when I finally saw how I looked. There were still twigs, dry leaves and dirt in my hair. My clothes were torn, spots of dirt, even small drops of blood, I assumed it was from the small cuts the doctor talked about.

With a sigh I took off what was left of my clothes, carefully until I was just in my underwear. There were several small cuts over my torso, legs, arms, together with bruises on those same places. My face was free of scratches but I had a bruise on my cheek. I let another sigh and took off my underwear too, soon I was under the warm spray of the shower.

Way to start my day. First Aaron practically jumps me in the bathroom, nearly eating me alive. Then he acts like nothing happened. And when I try to give him a taste of what I feel like, I ignore him on our way to the town. Succeeding in only feeling guilty and apologizing moments later. Of course I get no response, then he's the one ignoring me. To top it all, we were going to take a picture and my graceful self decides it's a good time to take a roll.

But now I can't complain that my life is boring and uneventful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 269 28
Elijah's best friend is always trying to hook her up and pressuring her to go on dates. Normally, Elijah knows from the start that Dani's plan is goi...
372 88 18
The first chapters might be cringe, but please bear with me as it will get better. "Are we over?" Aaron and Ashleigh were two friends who would both...
50 11 12
Part Two to the first IDID:TB This time Aaron clears the past and Michael's name becomes less and less refined. All while new threats are growing beh...
120K 4.5K 15
Jasmine was not given a choice of who she was able to love but rather told who she would love. Since the time she was little she was shown only the d...