It's Not Just Business

By soulstrings

No one told Regan how miserable it could be to care for your husband and not have that returned. Aaron keeps... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter One

554 16 7
By soulstrings

It's nothing out of the ordinary to be married off to unite two families, more if the families are trying to close a business deal.

Sure, it's nothing of out of the ordinary in our society. Nothing out of the ordinary to the generations who have been doing it since ever. But to everyone else... let's just say we kept it secret.

Since my family is one of those generations, I was married off to the Scarlatti family.

I was actually pretty exited. This is something I had been training to do my whole life. I'd been taught how to be the perfect wife. And I'll give everything to make my husband happy.

The only problem we had is that I turned eighteen on the day of the wedding and well, being eighteen I still haven't finished high school and we moved to a different state.

Aaron, that's my husband, set down some pretty strict rules. The top one is that I must not fall in love with him. The second is that I mustn't be clingy, he hates that. Third, we are not to sleep in the same room unless we have guests staying the night; we have to keep up with appearances. Fourth, I have to finish school; he doesn't want a mediocre in his house, his words not mine. Fifth, I must not bother him when he's in his study unless it's a life or death thing.

Those are just the top five. And each one of them hurt me.

We've only been married for a week. He hasn't touched me once. Even the kiss at the church lasted two seconds.

It didn't help that today is my first day of school, I feel terrible. Aaron is still locked up in his study, he hasn't left it since yesterday. Maids just go in to take him food.

I sighed and finished combing my hair. My attire consisted on a blue summer dress, sandals and my hair down. The only make up I wore was mascara.

I grabbed my bag and walked out of my room and downstairs.

The house we moved into was really old fashioned, it looked more like a mansion than anything. I knew the Scarlatti's had money, but not this much.

"What would you like for breakfast Mrs.?" one of the maids, I think her name is Rita, asked.

"Just coffee and toast."

She nodded and left the dinning room, leaving me alone.

Alone.

That's how I've felt these past days. Aaron didn't pay much attention to me. He ignores me most of the time. But he made sure that the servants obeyed my every demand. That doesn't mean much to me. I want his attention.

Rita came back with my breakfast and I ate fast. Being late to my first day of school is not something I'm looking forward to. I'd looked into several schools and managed to convince Aaron to let me apply at a public one. I'm tired of all the drama and if I were to attend one of which his family friends or my family's friends go to, there will be a lot of it.

So I went for something simple. It's not like anybody knows I'll be attending school. If someone ever gives it a thought they'll come to the conclusion that I am home schooled.

With bag in hand I walked to the front door where the butler opened the door for me.

"Mr. Scarlatti said he wishes you a great time at your new school. He'll like you to be here for lunch." Fuller lied. Not about Aaron wanting me in time for lunch, he hates waiting, but the part were he wishes me good luck.

"Thank you, Fuller. Please let Aaron know I'll be here on time." I faked a smile and walked over to Grant, the chauffeur, who opened the car's door for me.

The drive was quiet, which didn't bother me much. All I could think of was the day ahead of me.

Four months and school will be over. I'll graduate and perhaps go to university, we still haven't talked about that.

Being as I am just enrolling, I'll have a lot to catch up to. Finally something to do with my free time.

Grant parked by the school where a bunch of teenagers like me were walking towards the entrance. A lot of them turned to look at the car, some even stopped as Grant walked out and opened the door for me.

"Thank you."

"Should I wait until you're finished?" Grant asked politely.

"No, that's fine. I'll call you."

He gave me a nod and then drove away.

Alright, here we go.

I walked straight into the office.

"What do you want?" the lady behind the desk asked in an annoyed tone.

"I just enrolled. Regan Scarlatti?" I asked to see if my name ringed any bells.

My family wasn't that well know but the Scarlatti Industries were and she instantly sat up straight and smiled.

"Mrs. Scarlatti, give me a second."

I waited more than that.

She came back with a man wearing a suit, he looked ready to burst.

"Mrs. Scarlatti, we are glad you are finally here. Let me take you to your first class, we'll have-"

"No, that's fine. I'll like to do it on my own. Just give me the schedule, please." I interrupted.

"Why, of course." the man handed me a piece of paper with my schedule printed on it.

"Thank you." I smiled and left the office.

Then I frowned at my schedule.

I'd handed them my previous school schedule and asked for something similar, these wasn't even close. The worst part is that I specifically asked for nothing creative and they go ahead and give me writing.

The only good thing about the schedule is the free period after lunch, I can use it to catch up in some other classes.

I didn't even bother going to my locker, I just went straight ahead into the classroom. It wasn't hard to find, all the doors had a number above them with black bold ink. Hard to miss.

"Excuse me. I just-"

"You're the new girl. I'm Ms. Callahan, nice to meet you Mrs. Scarlatti." we shook hands and she held me there until the bell rang and everyone was sitting.

"We have a new student, Regan Scarlatti, so please be nice." she told the classroom and then smiled at me. "You can take any seat, I'll have a set of copies of the things you need to catch up with."

"Thank you." I faked a smile just like her and took a the seat that was not surrounded by students.

We took some notes and I tried my best to pay close attention. I seriously suck with numbers. Everyone else seemed okay with everything that the teacher was explaining. I'll have to get some books from the library if I want to pass this class.

"Five minutes 'til the bell, have fun." Ms. Callahan waved a hand at us and hid herself behind a book.

A sigh of relief escaped me, no more numbers! I put my notebook and pencil inside my bag. When I looked up I was surrounded by three girls.

"Can I help you?" I asked politely.

"I'm Jenny."

"Danny."

"Claire."

The three introduced themselves. Hard to remember who is who. They're triplets. Matching blonde hair, brown eyes and pale skin.

"Nice meet-"

"Are you Aaron Scarlatti's sister?" Danny, I recognized her as the second who spoke.

"God he is so hot!" Claire sighed dreamily.

"He makes me wet. Did you see that picture on that old magazine? Of course you did, you're his sister." Jenny smiled.

"His wife actually." I grinned at their stunned expressions.

It's no surprise, their reaction I mean. Nothing regarding Aaron and his personal life has been placed in any magazine or news paper for quite some time. He paid a lot of money for that. He wanted to keep his personal life just like that, personal.

And apparently these girls were mistaking me for Laurel, Aarons sister. She's not the nicest of the bunch.

"What?" one of them finally managed.

The bell went off and I got up.

"Got to go." I smiled and walked away.

How dare they talk like that about Aaron? He's my husband. Mine.

I went straight to my next class. Literature, great! Not really, but might as well try to make things fun.

Introductions went nearly the same in this class, except that I told Mr. Braddock to just call me by my name. I don't want anymore scenes like the last one today. Because people will eventually know who I am.

And here I thought marrying Aaron was going to be fun and wonderful.

The class went by fast, the lesson was interesting and Mr. Hicks gave me a list of the things I had to catch up with.

Next came Mrs. Lane Chemistry class. That one was so tiring. But I was glad when she didn't hand me anything of any sort. Just said she'll start grading me from now on.

Now's lunch time.

I searched my bag and was glad to find my wallet.

With my head held high I avoided mean stares and curious ones. I thought I was going to love this but it's been really stressful. Maybe I should ask Aaron to find me someone who can home school me.

I grabbed a sandwich, some salad and a juice. After I paid for the food I was stuck. Where do I sit? It didn't help that most students were wondering the same damn thing. I saw a hand waving me over. The triplets. I pretended to not see them.

"You can sit with us, if you want." A short looking girl smiled nicely at me.

Finally, a real smile!

"Thank you." I smiled back and followed her.

She led me to a table with four other people sitting already.

"They're Alice, Greg, Jared and Elliot." the girl pointed at each one of her friends.

Alice had her hair cut like a boys, really short and flaming red with brown eyes to match. Greg had piercing hazel eyes and hair black as a raven's. Jared's hair reached his shoulder, his pale skin was a great contrast with his bright blue eyes. Elliot on the other hand had eyes that looked nearly black with brown hair that reached down to his neck in crazy waves.

"I'm Leah." the short girl smiled and motioned for me to sit down. Her hair had to at least reach below her waist and her eyes were miss matched. One was a deep muddy brown and the other a mossy green.

"Regan. Nice to meet you." I smiled at all the friendly faces.

"So, everyone's saying you're married." Greg began.

"To Aaron Scarlatti." Jared followed.

"That the reason is pregnancy." Alice took a sip of her coke.

"Is it true?" Elliot leaned in curiously.

"Guys!" Leah blushed red.

"It's okay. Everyone's going to find out sooner or later." I smiled reassuringly at Leah.

"So you are pregnant?" Alice smiled eagerly.

"No." I nearly laughed at her disappointment. There's no way I can be pregnant if Aaron doesn't even lay a finger on me.

"I am married to Aaron but not because I'm pregnant." I explained.

"Why then? You're eighteen!" Elliot threw up his hands and leaned in again to await my answer.

"Seriously guys?" Leah covered her face in embarrassment.

"It's fine, really." I reassured Leah, then turned to look the her friends and lied. "Because we love each other."

"You could've waited a couple of years, don't you think?" Jared said matter of fact.

"And isn't he like thirty five?" Greg looked at me with a grossed out face.

"He's twenty six. He's not that old." I said to my and his defense.

"That's eight years of difference!" Leah looked at me shocked now.

"It's-" my phone rang. "Give me a second."

"Go ahead." Alice smiled.

"Hello?" I asked, not sure which one of the house was calling.

"Mrs., it's Cindy."

"What's the matter Cindy?" I sighed.

"Mr. Scarlatti wanted you to decide what is to be served at lunch today." she said politely.

"Tell Aaron that whatever he chooses is fine by me."

I heard one of the people sitting by me squeak. What?

"Give me a second, ma'am."

I waited.

"Can we go to your house?" Alice whispered.

"Alice! We just met her." Leah whispered back.

"We can always help her catch up..." Elliot grinned hopefully.

Before I could answer Cindy picked up the phone.

"Mr. Scarlatti says if chicken carbonara is to your liking."

"It is. Cindy, is Aaron near? I'd like to speak with him."

Cindy hesitated and then it wasn't her voice anymore. It was Aaron's.

"Regan." he said in acknowledgement.

If he could only say my name with just a little hint of care or love...

"Aaron, I was wondering if there'll be any inconvenience if I invited some new friends over..." I trailed off.

"The Roland's dinner was postponed to tomorrow. Invite your friends over. You know how to behave." Aaron stated.

"Yes, of course." I smiled.

"Goodbye, Regan." and he hung up.

"Bye, Aaron." I said even though he couldn't hear me.

"Would you like to come to my home this evening?" I asked.

"Yes!" they all smiled.

Lunch was over and I headed to the library for my free period. I grabbed some books and started on with the things needed to be done.

I finished just a quarter of the work and the bell rang signaling that it was time for next period. And I'm off to Italian.

I knew enough about the language to get by so the class wasn't as dreadful as creative writing, which came next. I wasn't kidding when I specified that I was not to be placed in any creative electives.

Mrs. Quinn asked us to describe someone. I chose the first person that came to mind, Aaron. Of course I didn't write his name on the paper, I just started to describe him.

Six feet tall, broad shoulders, slightly tanned skin, ripping muscles. Blue-green eyes that harden when angry. Short cut beard. Graceful walk. A straight forward personality. Hates to wait.

I groaned. This is why I hate these sort of classes. I just go down to the facts, I'm not creative or detailed or anything about it. I can't even describe my own husband!

At the end Mrs. Quinn told us to keep the papers, we'll be using them tomorrow.

When the bell went off I walked to the school's physical ed. Classroom. We sat there until the teacher came in.

"I'm Mr. Parker, we occasionally come in here to do some health study but most of the time is just exercising outside. I guess it's your lucky day Mrs. Scarlatti. Please make sure that tomorrow you have a set of work out clothes. We're not picky, bring any color you want." the teacher explained to me.

"Hey." Elliot came to sit beside me.

"Hello." I smiled.

"Are you sure it's okay if we go to your house?"

"Yes. There's no problem at all." I reassured him.

"Alright." Elliot grinned.

It seemed I only have a class with him. Well at least there's someone I know and hopefully we stay friends.

The final bell went off. Elliot and I went to the main entrance to wait for the rest of the guys. I'd called Grant and he'll be here in five minutes.

"I can't believe I am going to Aaron Scarlatti's house." Alice grinned.

"It's also Regan's house." Jared pointed out.

"I thought we were going to help Regan out, not to drool over a house or the husband." Greg rolled his eyes.

"We can drool over Regan too." Elliot winked at me and I laughed.

"God, you guys are so embarrassing!" Leah blushed deep red.

Apparently she's the most serious of the group.

I saw a black large car stop by.

"Let's go." I said as Grant walked out and opened the door for us.

They followed me and we all got inside the car. Aaron must've told Grant more people were coming because the car was larger and more spacious.

When we arrived home, Fuller opened the door and smiled at me.

"How was your day Mrs.?" he asked.

"Great, thanks. Please tell Rita and Cindy to put five more plates on the table and let Aaron know I'm home."

"Of course." and he walked away.

"Come on in." I smiled at my new friends.

"Wow." one of them mumbled as they gawked at the house.

"It's beautiful." Leah grinned widely.

"Thank you." I said and waited as they all seemed to look around.

We ended at the living room.

"Rita, bring us some lemonade while we wait. Please."

She nodded and left.

"Thank you guys for coming, I really appreciate your wanting to help."

"That's what friends do." Leah smiled sweetly at me.

"And that's what we are now. Friends." Jared winked at me.

As I started to reply I heard a door close.

"Honey, I'm glad you're finally home." Aaron came into the living room wearing a dark gray suit which means he went to the office today or was planning on going later.

I faked the smile just like him and got up to go to his side. He placed a hand on my waist and pulled me closer to lay a soft kiss on my lips. Oh I wished it'll last longer, or that there was some sort of emotion behind it. Nonetheless we smiled as we pulled away.

"How was your day?" he asked in a sweet voice.

"Great. Meet my friends." I motioned him to my new friends. "They're Leah, Elliot, Greg, Alice and Jared."

"Nice meeting you. Aaron Scarlatti." he gave a friendly smile.

"Oh we know who you are." Alice said in a suggestive way.

I frowned a little and Leah elbowed Alice's side in a warning tone.

"I'd like a word with my wife, if you'll excuse us." Aaron gave them his charming smile and started leading me to his study. As soon as we were in he let go of me as if I disgusted him.

"The Roland's dinner is tomorrow. Do you have a black dress? The long type." Aaron asked as he leaned on his desk and looked at me with disinterest.

"I do."

"Good. Remember how we must act, we-"

"Would it hurt you a little to try?" I finally snapped.

Aaron looked baffled. "That's what I'm-"

"No, Aaron. You're ordering, you're acting. I'm your wife for Christ sake. A little attention wont kill, to show a little care wont kill you. I get it if you don't see me as a woman, I get you don't want to touch me. But being friendly or a little caring wont make me profess my love for you. I know you told me not to be clingy, I haven't. You told me to not fall in love with you, well you're making it easy by trying to make me hate you."

Something flashed in his eyes, some emotion I couldn't pin point but then it was gone.

"Do I really disgust you that much?"

Aaron's eyes widened. "You don't disgust me!"

"Then what is it? We've been together a week and I already feel miserable." I paused and winced. "If you're in love with someone else I am willing to sign a divorce. You don't have to be tied to me if you can't even stand touching my hand."

"There's no one else, okay?" he ran a hand down his face. "Let's go, your friends are waiting."

I sighed as he put his arm around my waist when we came into view. I can tell he hates this. But if I don't disgust him and there's no one else... why does he pushes me away?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50 11 12
Part Two to the first IDID:TB This time Aaron clears the past and Michael's name becomes less and less refined. All while new threats are growing beh...
104 12 12
This story is told from the perspective of Sierra White, who is being forced to go through with an arranged marriage to a complete stranger. She look...
284K 15.7K 34
Georgiana Abel is a formidable business woman and her high powered, fast paced lifestyle doesn't leave much room for romance. Luckily it's something...
25.5K 969 21
It's been four years since you and Leon broke up. Four years since the 'incident.' Your inability to work together is starting to hinder missions, wh...