Bring Me Home // Bucky Barnes

By povsandfangirling

When Elizabeth Halsted was rescued from an uncomfortable situation on her way home from work in August 1943... More

Chapter I - Safe with a Stranger
Chapter II - A Night to Remember
Chapter III - Where He Goes
Chapter IV - Far From Home
Chapter V - An Agent's Duty
Chapter VI - Caught in the Blue
Chapter VII - Before We Began
Chapter VIII - Tsunamis and Canyons
Chapter IX - Searching for The Sergeant
Chapter X - Returning
Chapter XI - I Can Live With That
Chapter XII - Whispers In The Night
Chapter XIII - A Playful Exchange
Chapter XIV - The Right Mind
Chapter XV - Dammit Dugan
Chapter XVI - Screams Into The Nothingness
Chapter XVII - His Brother. His Confidant.
Chapter XVIII - The Deepest Pain
Chapter XIX - Someone To Blame
Chapter XX - No Going Back
Chapter XXI - Oblivion Never Came
Chapter XXII - Mission Focus
Chapter XXIII - If She Was His
Chapter XXIV - Fire and Ice
Chapter XXV - Alive and... Deadly?
Chapter XXVI - Bewitchingly Broken
Chapter XXVII - There's A Story
Chapter XXVIII - Remind Me
Chapter XXIX - Without Command
Chapter XXX - Breathtaking. Devastating.
Chapter XXXI - Misty Memories
Chapter XXXII - I Just Feel Pain
Chapter XXXIII - Frequency
Chapter XXXIV - The Same
Chapter XXXV - Forget The Forgotten
Chapter XXXVI - Obliterated
Chapter XXXVII - Waiting For Them
Chapter XXXVIII - It Was Simple
Chapter XXXIX - Soldier On The Stairs
Chapter XL - Reach and Rein
Chapter XLI - Triggers
Chapter XLII - Ache
Chapter XLIII - This Moment
Chapter XLIV - Hers, Completely
Chapter XLV - My Home For So Long
Chapter XLVI - An Entire Lifetime
Chapter XLVII - A Plan
Chapter XLVIII - Not a Need
Chapter XLIX - Wounded
Chapter L - Stains of The Past
Chapter LI - It's Done
Chapter LII - Separated
Chapter LIII - Promise
Chapter LIV - Secret Agreement
Chapter LV - Lay Low
Chapter LVI - Shattered Peace
Chapter LVII - Manipulation
Chapter LVIII - Warmth of Red
Chapter LIX - Held Prisoner
Chapter LX - Head First
Chapter LXI - The Ring
Chapter LXII - Memory Lane
Chapter LXIII - My Lifeline
Chapter LXVI - Set to Become
Chapter LXV - An Agent's Memory
Chapter LXVI - A Fragile Thing
Chapter LXVII - Savouring the Simple
Chapter LXVIII - Essence of The Stones
Chapter LXIX - Brother
Chapter LXX - Amara
Chapter LXXI - This One
Chapter LXXIII - No Second Thought
Chapter LXXIV - Unplanned
Chapter LXXV - Miss Halsted
Chapter LXXVI - Mrs Barnes
Chapter LXXVII - Would You Want That?
Chapter LXXVIII - Bring Me Home
Epilogue - A Different Momma
More from POVSandFangirling

Chapter LXXII - Weakened

2.7K 90 21
By povsandfangirling

Bucky sat with a microfibre cloth, scrubbing at his knuckles as Peter tapped his pen against the coffee table repeatedly. The silence around them was thick with tension as Peter glanced nervously up from his homework towards the super soldier whose silver hand was now gleaming. With Lizzie out for the day Bucky had become progressively crankier and his eyes kept darting towards the door.

Sam sat beside him, a pen scratching across a sheet of paper, acutely aware of the cloud of worry growing over Bucky's head and unsure of how to help him. In all honesty, the threat of Thanos, still looming over them all with the dark presence of a force they could not anticipate, had everyone on high alert. With the wedding now just three days away everything had been set up. This morning's efforts in the yard had been the final touches, and now, without the distraction of the big day right in front of them, everyone was becoming more and more fractious. He focused on the words he was trying to get just right when Bucky grunted in his direction.

"Can I help you?" He rolled his eyes as he continued to write.

"You're not getting a speech."

Sam smirked. "I think I am."

"I can tell you now Pigeon Poop Brains," he watched as Sam grinned at Lizzie's little insult for him, "you aren't."

"I'll ask Lizzie."

"And she'll say the same as me: no chance." Bucky smiled a little as Sam shook his head and carried on writing. Placing the cloth down, he pulled his phone from his pocket again and his jaw tightened. Worry settled in his chest once more as he stared at the blank screen in his hands and wondered what was taking Lizzie and Steve so long. And why Steve hadn't text like he'd said he would. The tapping across from him halted and he glanced up at the kid now chewing his pen with his head in his hands and an expression that screamed of confusion.

"Hey Parker?"

Peter's eyes snapped up from the page and the pen fell from his mouth.

"Wanna fight?"

The kid paused, his eyes flicking down to the unfinished history essay on the coffee table and considered saying no. He had been slacking a little in class with the additional training the whole team had been doing in the last few weeks and his essay was due the day after the wedding.

"I'll talk you through that after." Bucky shrugged as he returned to polishing his knuckles. If anyone could get Peter through the topic of pre-war America it was him. Hell, Lizzie could probably help too.

"Training room in ten Mr. Barnes?"

Bucky sighed as he watched Peter jump to his feet and scoop up his textbooks and papers. He was smiling widely, balancing piles of work precariously as he fought with the zip on his back pack, opening it up and shoving things in quickly.

"Make it five. Outside?" Bucky huffed. "And stop calling me Mr. Barnes, it makes me feel old."

The kid's grin settled into a cheeky smirk and he raised an eyebrow at Bucky as he folded his arms over his chest and puffed up his shoulders.

"Aren't you like one hundred or something?" Peter cocked his head to the side, not unlike Dugan when he'd been caught chewing on something he shouldn't be, and paused before grinning. "You are old."

Sam barked out a laugh as Bucky grimaced and sighed and Peter bounced on the balls of his feet, pleased with himself. Bucky shoved Sam roughly and glared up at the teenager grinning over at them both.

"I hate you Kid," he stifled his own laugh. "Go get ready."

With Peter sprinting from the room and up the stairs Bucky rounded on Sam. He watched as his shoulders shook and his eyes streamed with tears. He watched as Sam tried to stop laughing and failed, repeatedly.

"I swear to God, if you don't stop laughing I'll take away your Groomsman duties." Bucky chuckled, running his hands over his face and pushing back into the cushions again.

*

Elizabeth grinned as she watched Dugan bound up the stairs behind Peter, tripping on his own paws as he skittered across the floor and bounced away from where Bucky and Sam sat laughing. She threw her keys onto the unit beside the door and strolled into the room, the peace of knowing the dress was paid for and perfect warming her as she approached her soon-to-be husband.

Her eyes danced with happiness as she watched him give in to his chuckles and a grin swept across his face before he pushed his hands over his eyes and up into his hair, dropping back as he spoke.

"I'll take away your Groomsman duties," he threatened playfully.

"No he won't, he actually kinda loves you a little Sammy." Elizabeth smirked as Bucky's eyes snapped to her and his lips relaxed into her favourite easy, lopsided smile.

"There she is!" Sam clapped his hands together as he got to his feet, nudging Bucky as he did so. "You can stop checking your phone every five seconds now Cyborg."

Bucky rolled his eyes, quickly getting up from where he sat and pushing Sam out of his way before rounding the table and moving towards Lizzie. When he was just an arms reach away from her he grabbed her by the hips and pulled her close, his lips finding hers instantly as his fingers pressed lightly into her skin. She sighed against him as she felt his tongue gently coax her lips apart and her stomach tightened with his touch.

"Jesus Christ. Do you ever stop to think that you don't need an audience guys?" Sam groaned, throwing his hands in the air in exasperation as Lizzie pulled from Bucky's lips and glanced apologetically over to him.

"Sorry Sam," she smiled sweetly, playing in mischief as her eyes gleamed with false embarrassment and Bucky snaked his hand around the back of her neck and into her hair, caressing her gently and never looking away from her.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah." Sam sighed as he rolled his eyes. "So can I see it?"

Bucky ignored the interruption as he held on to her, watching as her eyes softened and her nose scrunched. She dropped her gaze as she thought about it and his heart beat picked up its pace, racing for her as he watched the soft blush blossom and bloom beneath the snow of her skin. She was excited about the dress and he was intoxicated by her.

"No." She shook her head, laughing as Sam went to protest. "It's tucked away safely in one of the safes and no one sees it until the big day."

"But -"

She held up a finger to silence Sam.

"Not you, not Nat, not Wanda or Vision or Pietro. Not Clint or Thor or Loki or Peter. Not Maria or Bruce. No one. And especially not this guy." She looked back to Bucky who was grinning down at her like a lovesick teenager and her heart fluttered. She felt the fire of his gaze as his eyes traced along her cheekbones and her jaw. They danced over her lips as he licked his own and she felt that tightening in her stomach again.

Slowly and softly, she pressed a tender kiss against his lips, pulling herself up to him as she gripped his t-shirt and stood on her tiptoes, before pulling herself away from his touch.

"I need to train."

He pouted as the emptiness of his hands left him craving her touch again.

"Bird Brains?" Her attention went to Sam. "Want to join me?"

"You know Lizzie," Sam pouted as he crossed his arms and whined, "I think I preferred our friendship when you hadn't adopted your boyfriend's nicknames for me."

Lizzie grinned as she walked to where Sam stood and gave him a tight hug.

"You mean fiancé, thank you very much." She giggled as he squeezed her back. "Now move it."

*

Elizabeth had been training for hours; switching between Wanda, Nat and Sam as they each pushed her further, pushed her harder. Her body ached with exertion and effort and her chest was heaving from energy spent. She rounded another kick, crashing into Nat's side and lost her balance, slipping and falling to the floor in a twisted contortion. Across the green, just shy of where the wedding preparations had been set and readied, Bucky felt the air shift around him as Peter landed another blow to his stomach, pushing him backwards and onto the floor, and his eyes snapped back to the teenager now frowning at him.

"Mr Barnes, erm, Bucky - Sir? I've beaten you three times now." Peter crossed his arms and then uncrossed them, unsure of himself. "Are you okay?"

Bucky's eyes flicked back to Elizabeth, now back on her feet and fighting once more and he sighed. She was slower than usual, her right hook not weighted enough, and her aim wasn't centred and precise as it usually was. When she had fought with Wanda the wisps had been thin and translucent, not their typical cerulean whips that held fast and strong, and her force field had fractured more than once. She was waning.

"She's tired," Bucky half whispered as he traced her movements and flinched when Natasha aimed a swift kick to her stomach. He watched as Lizzie's hands flew to protect herself, grabbing Nat's ankle and twisting it so that she flipped to the floor. It was the first hit Natasha had not connected and Lizzie panted as she backed away. "She needs to take a break."

Peter held a hand out for Bucky, pulling him from the floor as his eyes followed over to Elizabeth.

"How do you know she's tired?" He asked.

Bucky smiled. Watching Elizabeth fight and train fascinated him. The girl he had met in the forties would never have held her own against Natasha like Lizzie could now. She was strong, and quick, and agile. She was powerful, not because of the infinity stone, not because of whatever serum had pumped through her veins on that train that night, but because she had worked to become stronger. She was incredible.

"I just know," he murmured, watching as she pinned Natasha to the floor before rolling from her and clutching at her side.

"My balance is off," she panted, "and my punches held no weight."

Elizabeth rolled to face Natasha as she caught sight of Bucky making his way towards her, a small v forming between his eyebrows as he watched her intently and frowned slightly.

"Again?"

Natasha smiled and jumped back to her feet.

"Bring it on Halsted."

As Elizabeth pushed herself up to her feet she chuffed out a giggle and tried to shake off the dizziness that was blurring her vision and wrapping itself around her mind. She stretched her arms out above her head, hoping to clear her mind, and darkness encroached on her senses, pulling her down and pushing her to stumble forwards. The grip of strong hands on her waist held her tight as vision came back to her and she sighed as Bucky pulled her back against his chest.

"Doll, maybe you should take a break?" His voice was low and swimming with concern. "We could grab some dinner, maybe even nap a little."

She sighed as she turned her face to look up at him. His eyes were soft and worried, and he raised his eyebrows as he waited for a response. Surely he knew her answer wouldn't be the one he wanted? It was written all over his face.

"No Buck," she smiled as he sighed and placed his head against her shoulder. "It's okay, I promise. I had the whole day off today. I need to be ready."

His fingers loosened on her waist as his lips pressed a small, defeated kiss against her shoulder.

"Nat? Again."

"Okay." Natasha glanced towards Bucky as he stood watching Elizabeth walk away from him.

Go easy on her, he mouthed. She nodded slightly and turned to face her opponent. Lizzie was paler than usual, her hair was sticking to her forehead and neck with sweat and her breathing was ragged and pained. Perhaps Bucky was right.

As they fought Natasha watched her carefully, as did Bucky and Peter, Tony, Sam and Wanda. Even Loki watched from a distance. They watched her intently, unaware of the presence hidden close by, his sights fixed on her and his mind set in stone. The girl was weakened. The time was upon them.

The grey sickly skin of the being seemed to glow in the setting sun as he turned to the blue creature stood beside him, her lips upturned into a sharp snarl as she followed the fighting across the lake. They had waited and observed as instructed. They had played their part to perfection and now, just two weeks after their arrival here, they had what they were looking for: opportunity.

"The girl is tired," the grey one spoke slowly, softly. "She is weak. His time is now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.9K 1.3K 8
Short Story X reader of the one and Only James B. Barnes. You're a doctor living in New York, doing your best to help injured veterans adjust to thei...
The Promise By me

Fanfiction

2.1K 61 18
Bucky Barnes X Y/N (Fem) Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers, and yourself are a close group of best friends. You guys have been through everything. Life is p...
311K 7.7K 17
"Steve Rogers...that name sounds painfully familiar. He's pretty cute from the pictures I've seen. Too freaking bad I gotta kill him. And then track...
6.6K 132 23
70 years later, Kathryn wakes up, disoriented, afraid and seemingly alone. Now she's back in New York and back with her best friend but missing the...