The Exiled Gem

由 Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... 更多

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
Greetings of Exile
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

Infirmary Visits

225 16 1
由 Maplebell

When Alexandra opened her eyes, she had to stay still, frown and blink and try to remember what had happened exactly. When her memory was revived, she instantly recognized her surroundings to be a part of the Idgardian Palace. The easy security she felt, to be back in home territory after four unbearable months in Akwanda, made her lips curl up into a grateful smile. Around her was a room different to anything else she had seen before. A dark, high ceiling that almost reflected her, modest pastel walls and silk draperies. But the silent, soothing and spotless environment identified the chamber for an infirmary. It was twice the size of the the one at the Council. Perhaps thrice or four times, if the curtained off portions was also a part of it.

As far as her eyes travelled, there were herbs. The amount of mint was double the quantity of all the rest combined. Mandrakes tumbled freely from containers, Olives - hopefully they weren't snacks - were arranged mutely in a corner. Half-made balms in mortars and pestles were stacked on every corner. Her own chest felt cool, the skin slightly irritated - as though a generous dosage of some minty ointment had been spread upon it. The thick smell of bitter pastes hung in the air, and they didn't smell bad, but it was not uplifting either. Her hands were stiff, and moving them around, she felt her bed. Smooth cotton, light and soft as feather, spanned out. Her waistband was still intact - Moira was untied, it lay on the side-table. 

And now? She thought, what?

'Miss Mabel,' spoke a Nurse, in a low drone, as if on cue. She had seemingly appeared out of nowhere and was now bending over Alexandra. Her lips were thin as a single, pink line, and she had even thinner, stringy black hair pulled back into a neat bun. Her eyes were smaller than Aunt Sabel's, but they were very much kinder - and she smelt of slightly-pleasant-than-the-rest herbs.

'Uh?' Alexandra replied, at once terrified at how much her ribs ached upon that small word. She exhaled - and that hurt as well. Ribs, were apparently used more than she had known.

'Don't push yourself, Miss Mabel.' The Nurse advised. 'And speak as little as possible. Breathe slowly - but be mindful to do so more frequently than usual - avoid deep breaths. Pray don't try to get up. Broken ribs, but it is nothing very serious. You shall need two months of complete bed-rest - and then it just depends on how fast you heal. Anything you want, ring the bell. I will be here. For now,' She began, nodding.

'Now?' Alexandra prompted - then grimaced - but she was getting used to the dull ache. 

'You have visitors. One claims to be your brother, the two other, your friends. Would you like to see them?' She asked, tilting her head, as if she expected a "no".

'What are the friends' - names?' Alexandra managed, for she very well knew the brother.

'Ah, one said he said it was Watson, and ... Alden.'

Alexandra cracked a smile. Thankfully, smiling didn't hurt. 'I'd love to see them,' she said. And she meant it. 

***

'You're promoted, Agent Mabel.' Was the first thing Kane Alden had to say. And it was a thing that made her grin the widest in so long. And she felt ecstatic seeing the familiar faces around her, after the looming danger, the sword upon her neck hanging loosely all the time in Akwanda had lifted. And that was why she was grateful in the first place - to be back among her tribe, in her land.

'Promoted - which means you can now order me to shut up,' supplied Watson, making her laugh. Alexandra put a hand to her ribs as she did. Laughing hurt - and that would be a pity if she saw Liam anytime now. After the previous night, their total number of meetings went up to three: and still, if anybody asked her who her closest friend was - she would take his name. Alexandra couldn't pinpoint why - and she knew she would never be able to do so. But the circumstances under which they had met, the uncomplicated acceptance and simple attentiveness - all that bound to have made him special. 

Special - but she was not special. Spies did not get a day's leave; two months were outrageous.

'What about these two months? The bed - rest?' She asked, with a frown. And noticing that saying "r" was particularly tough now - for her Dovish accent made it low and deep.

'Have you hit your head somewhere?' Kane asked, bending over, like the nurse. But it was much better a face to have over one's head. 'Remind me what she did yesterday night?' He then straightening up and turning to Fannel, who was looking like he hadn't slept the previous night, and was now looking torn between laughing and asking of her health.

'She came all the way back to Idgard from Akwanda,' Watson informed, with the air of a seasoned teacher. 'And she saved a particular person ... wait, my memory's deceiving me ... who was that person she saved, again?' He asked, shaking his head and turning to Fannel.

'The King of Vedessa,' completed Mark, nodding and deciding upon a grim look at last. 'And she wonders if she can have two months off. I think we really should check for some head injuries.'

'Fine, I got it, Agents!' Alexandra exclaimed, grinning at the same time. She didn't need reminding - that act had been heroic and thankfully, on time - but she had never foreseen colliding with Liam. Of course it made her go red - and less eager to see him. Just to get over that slightly embarrassing thought, she shook her head and asked - as casually as possible, 'So - what's new?'

'Master George said he was proud,' Mark replied, immediately. 

'And he wants us to tell you that you have a long way to go,'

'He feels that if he now dies, he's going to leave the council in good hands. Our hands, to be precise - so you don't think you'll have an autocracy in the Espionage.' Kane added.

'Tell him to not be stupid, he's not dying anytime soon,' Alexandra told him, not registering the joke. 'He will continue ter-ror-izing us until all our hai-rs turn gray.'

'I said that,' Watson nodded, he then showed his palm to Alexandra with three distinct red, cane marks on it. 'And here's the reward,'

Mark snorted - it was uncharacteristic, but appreciated - since he was better when he was not upright and serious. Watson rolled his eyes, his ears going red. 'Just because you're one of his favorites,' He scoffed.

'No,' Alexandra intervened hurriedly, scared they'd start arguing again. Ever since the third year, the two had become very much better, still, not enough to be considered safe together. 'You've got potential too, Elf. Perhaps more than hi-' but she stopped midway at the glance Mark was throwing at her. 'I mean - equal to-' the stare became sterner. 'A little less tha-' it was still there. 'Look, I just mean to say,' she relented, accepting defeat in the comparison, 'that you both are great spies - and a little at loggerheads because of it. And Watson, Master George just thinks you should be more disciplined.'

'Your brother isn't exactly disciplined,' Watson replied.

'But he is smart enough to show that he is, in front of the teacher.' Enlightened Fannel, running a hand through his hair. Watson looked like he wanted to murder him, for a second - Kane raised his hands in a placating gesture - at which he dropped his gaze.

'I-I suppose you are right,'

'A Watson-Fannel pact! Why - that's a first!' Kane exclaimed, then remembering that no pact was permanent, changed the topic at once. 'Whatever so - tell us more, Mabel,'

And when the three men were gone, Alexandra felt she was already half healed. She tried for some sleep, but it was next to impossible. It was a long standing habit of hers to curl up on her side while asleep - and she never slept on her back. Now that she was confined to the particular position and had slept for fifteen hours straight, her body demanded physical strain.

Which was quite impossible. However, it was all the better that she was awake. 

'Miss Mabel,' the Nurse walked in, bouncing upon the balls of her feet. 'You have another visitor,' she announced.

'Who's it now?' Alexandra asked, her neck ached with being in the same spot for as long as she remembered. And the sun had set outside, but she didn't know what the time was. It was hard to believe that a day ago, she had been riding a black horse at this time - and her ribs had been intact.

'It's His Majesty, the King himself,'

Took him long enough.

She found it annoying that her face brightened up at the very mention. Just to cover it up, she darkened back and made a face. 'Yes, and next you will be telling me, God is coming.' She replied, hating the immobility. Her spy's reflexes hated everything slow. But after having said that, it made sense - agreed, she had ... if no other word could be used ... saved his life. But certainly Liam had other things to do. An attack by Akwanda, increased the work. Why would he be coming? Out of a moral sense of duty? Gratefulness? Or perhaps, to sew her mouth up?

None of them, I'm sure.

'Miss Mabel, I am not joking. He really is. You'd like to sit up ... you know and get your hair do-'

'Madam,' Alexandra interrupted, smiling as all her irritation evaporated in an instant - because the Nurse had reminded her of Betty. 'If you did not notice, I can barely nod.'

'Oh,' replied the Nurse, 'Yes, I forgot. Alright, I'll take leave...? Yes, I will.' She nodded, more to herself, and went away - a bit red in the face.

Alexandra was seeing Liam, since the previous night did not really count, after almost seven years. She had often wondered what he would look like then. Most of the times, she had expected him to be similar on the exterior, since it was already near perfect. And no longer be that person he was earlier - for with age came maturity, and with maturity, some attractiveness died out. But when she really saw him, the smile vanished - and her jaw dropped.

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

472K 6.6K 51
The night after her parents death, she's forced and threatened by the Queen at the age of ten to get engaged to the princess whose father is the murd...
597 41 18
Edit: THIS IS ONE OF MY OLDER BOOKS SO IT'S MOST LIKELY GOING TO HAVE TERRIBLE GRAMMER... JUST WARNING YOU 😂 Alexandra Campbell, or as she's known a...
1K 55 35
Elena Marie Owens, a cool, Independent 15 year old. A very well known person around New York due to her talents in the Arts and Crafts, and one of he...
5K 278 41
This is a mafia story , which is not lovey dovey . If you still wanna read this carry on . ( Please don't judge the book just by reading first 2 or...