Nowhere to Hide

By Aidanlmao

Ash Ketchum, former Champion of the Alola region, disappears without a trace. He knows he needs to do better... More

1: Today and Tomorrow
2: City of Smog and Sweets
3: Mental Battles
4: Memories in the Wind.
5: Fanning the flames
6: Alola, Kalos!
8: Exhibition of Power
9: Endurance
10: Opening Memories
11: Finally it Begins.
12: Old Friends
13: Amour in Alola
QNA

7: Rivals Renewed

1.3K 24 29
By Aidanlmao

With Ash...

"You've missed food from Kalos, haven't you buddy?"

"Pika pi!"  

"My cooking is still better though." 

 "Pikaaaa..." complained my disloyal, piss-coloured partner.

I took a sip of my Sawsbucks™ coffee. It was overpriced, but I really needed coffee.

"Don't deny it!" 

"Pika chu." The mouse pokemon replied stubbornly.

I sighed, as a continent of stress seemed to crush my soul. "We still need some way to pass time before the opening, and I don't want to check out the dorms before I know who my roommates will be."

"chu."

"No Pikachu, I don't want to socialize!"

"Pikachu pika chu chu pi." he argued adamantly, hoping he'd force me into a social situation. Fortunately, his efforts were in vain.

"I'd prefer to train. You just spent the past hour lugging Thunderbolts at Charizard. That's training him, not you."

It was obvious that Pikachu wasn't going to budge. We've been training for three years straight without rest, but he still has an attitude.

Hard life. 

Still, I had too many things on my mind, mainly what I was going to do about my little name predicament. I can't just appear as Ash Ketchum after three years of silence. My reason for leaving was 100% justified, but that didn't matter. Luckily (according to Zinnia anyway) I look and sound pretty different than I did three years ago, but I still need a suitable nickname.

Luckily, fate would force my hand.

"Is that a Pikachu?" A childlike voice asked from behind me. I turned around and looked downwards to see a young boy, probably 10 or 11 years old.

"Yeah, this is Pikachu, he's my best buddy!" I clarified, causing him to go wide-eyed.

"wow he's soooo cute!" the starstruck boy shouted, clearly unaware that Pikachu is probably older than he is. "Hey, what's your name."

Dammit, he asked the question.

My eyes searched my surroundings, desperately praying that the condiments at a second-rate coffee shop would mend my bad life choices.

"My name is..." I stammered, my eyes dancing around the room like the author does when he reads your kind comments <3. 

"Mustard... no. Coffee bean? Even worse. Ketchup.... I got it!"

"tt...Tomato... Y-Yeah, my name is Tom Ato!

In hindsight, I could've chosen a better name.

"Oh hi Tom, my name is Joey, the trainer of the best Raticate in the world! Can I hug your Pikachu!?" the boy quizzed, bursting with enthusiasm as words whizzed from his mouth like Bullet Seeds from Sceptile.

"Umm I don't think-"

"Okay thanks!" the clueless kid shouted, grabbing Pikachu into a death hug.

"No Pikachu dont-"

I panicked, snatching Pikachu at the last second as pure electric power scorched my body.

Pikachu isn't a big fan of hugs.

"WOAH! That looked like quite a thunderbolt!"

"I know. I felt it."

"Maybe you can even challenge the champions in the exhibition battle! Then you might be able to approach the incredible power of my awesome Raticate!"

I blinked. "Wait, please repeat that for me."

"My Raticate is top percenta-"

"No, the other thing."

"The champions of Unova and Kalos are doing exhibition tag-battles against random challengers. You should totally try it, it already started, and they're destroying everyone! Pow Pow!"

"Alright, see you!" I called as Pikachu jumped on my shoulder.

"You didn't even ask for directions!" He shouted, as I abruptly stopped by the door. "It's at Battlefield Centrico! Also can I get your phone number?"

I mean, he already has my number. So what's the harm, right?

"Alright, here!" I replied, throwing a miniature paper aeroplane made from a sticky note. "My number's in here."

"Thanks! I'm gonna tell Gold all about this!" yelled the hyperactive youngster, bursting with excitement. Confused at what he meant, I just ran off towards the battlefield.

After a Quick Jog, I approached the massive marvel which was Battlefield Centrico. I knew it was the largest battlefield on campus, but that's underselling it; forget hosting a league here, you could host every league here at the same time and still have wasted space. I guess this is why it was chosen for the exhibition match and for the finals of the Pokemon League World Tournament. 

The battle lounge was amazing. The marble walls almost made me feel unworthy of being here, and it's clear the other trainers here felt the same way.

I looked upon one of the lounge's many TVs, where the champions were battling challengers. On the battlefield were an Excadrill, a Hawlucha, a Chandalure, and a Kabutops. I recognised immediately that the Hawlucha and the Excadrill were on the same team. They seemed to complement each other well, Isolating and attacking Kabutops, with Chandalure only able to watch. This battle wouldn't last long. 

I walked up to the front desk. "Hey Nurse Joy," I said. "How do I go get myself in this match?"

"Well it's easy." she responded. "Just tell me your alias for the tournament, and you can be up next!"

"The thing is..." I muttered, "I haven't exactly registered yet..."

"Oh, are you planning to register?" Asked Nurse Joy.

"Yeah," I responded. "Can I register here?"

"Sure you can!" She said. "Audino, can you get the form?"

I choked up a bit. "Au-Audino?" Nurse Joy giggled a bit. "They brought in Joys from every region. They're's 13 of us on the premises, but I know I'm the cutest!"

"Yeah, sure sure," I responded, taking the form from Audino. 

"Pikachu chu pika."

"Yeah, he'd love the place." I commented.

Somewhere, I'm sure Brock sneezed.

While I as writing, I tried to make conversation. "I'm surprised at how empty this place is..."

"Oh, it was a lot more full an hour ago. They're called Champions for a reason."

"Well that's okay," I said. "Because I'll be their last challenger today."

I filled out my name, tournament alias, date of birth number of pokemon I will use, and all the other stuff until I reached the bottom of the form, where I had a choice to make.

"What does it mean 'Common Room' or 'King Room'." I asked.

"Oh, that's referring to your Hotel Room. A 'common room' is a suite shared with as many as four of your competitors. Don't worry, you all get your own bedrooms, but it's more like an apartment. A 'king room' is a suite you get to yourself, or at least, whoever you want."

"Ahaaaaa." I said. "So I'd want a King Room."

"King Rooms are actually more expensive." she commented. "It's on the form."

Sure enough, I looked on the form.

I sighed. "This would use up all of my savings... all the prize money."

"Pika pi." 

"I know you want a fancy room to yourself and all, but we're going to have to go with a common room."

"Keep in mind." Nurse Joy said, "You automatically get upgraded to a King room... if you make it to the round of 64."

"Well I guess that's settled then." 

"I'm not finished," she said. "If you are using an alias, your roommates will know your real name. It's a safety thing."

"Oh..." I sighed. "can I sign up for the tournament without getting a room?"

"Afraid not." she said. "I think the Rocket organization wants to make up as much returns as possible for this tournament."

"I'll just beg them not to tell." I decided. "My roommates, I mean."

"Who are you, anyway?" she asked. "Are you someone famous."

"Kinda. I replied."

"Oh well, it looks like the battle is ending. I'll take your form now," she said.

"Okay." I said. "But you cannot react to my name."

"I'm paid not to." 

I handed her the form. Her mouth hang for a second, but she quickly composed herself.

"Not paid enough apparently."

She unmuted the TV.

"...SO THE LAST TWO TRIED THEIR BEST, BUT WE ARE NOWHERE NEAR DONE! WILL TWO BRAVE TRAINERS MUST STEP FORWARD AND CHALLENGE TWO OF THE STRONGEST POKEMON CHAMPIONS IN THE WORLD! ANY TAKERS?!" 

Wait a minute... that sounds like Iris's voice. No, that's definitely Iris. Arceus, it must've been 5 years. Wait, does that mean she is a Champion.

Before I could make my move, a lone, lavender-haired trainer stepped forward. He was silent like the dead of the night as he made his way towards the challengers' box.

He only raised his head to mutter two words. "I do."

Paul.

I smirked, knowing that this was my opportunity, briskly running to the challengers' box.

"I also challenge you!"

Paul just gave me a judging glare. "Don't get in my way." He muttered coldly, clearly disapproving of the fact that, on my shoulder, was an unevolved Pikachu.

If only he knew.

"IT SEEMS WE HAVE TWO MORE CHALLENGERS HERE TODAY, SO I HOPE YOU ARE ALL FIRED UP!!" Iris shouted, causing a volcano of applause to rain down like a thousand beating drums.

Needless to say, the referee yoinked the mic.

"Can I have the names of our challengers?" he mumbled defeatedly.

"Paul."

"My name is Tom Ato and I came to win!"

Paul gave me another, more curious glare, as the battle referee cleared his throat (which was probably for the better).

"This is a Two-On-Two Tag battle between Champions Iris and Diantha, versus challengers Paul and Tomato."

I really should've picked a better name.

"Each trainer is allowed one Pokemon, and the battle will be over when both of either side's pokemon is unable to battle. No substitutions are allowed. Will each trainer send out their Pokemon?"

Paul's POV.

Wonderful. My first battle in Geosenge is against two champions, with a joke of an ally.

Just truly brilliant.

The truth is, I had already preselected my pokemon. Assuming Champion Iris and Champion Diantha lead with their Team Aces, I should have a sizeable advantage over them. However, this buffoon of a teammate might impede that. Admittedly, I am not the most familiar human being with social situations, but I am knowledgeable enough not to choose "Tom Ato" as a sobriquet.

Idiotic. Stupid. Pitiful. Pathetic.

The two champions gracefully summoned their pokemon, visibly confident that they would acquire unchallenging victories.

Gardevoir and Haxorus.

As expected.

Before I sent out my pokemon, however, my 'teammate' spoke first.

"Looks like Lil' Axew is all grown up..." he mumbled, before raising his voice again. "Pikachu, I choose you!" he commanded, the yellow rodent hopping onto the battlefield with a serious face. "Pika pi!"

Amusing.

I never liked Pikachu. They are extremely overhyped, have incredibly pathetic base stats, and hold very little potential without a light ball.

Then again, Champion Red uses one, and there was this one trainer with Pikachu...

Nevermind, the past is irrelevant. Six years ago, I was a far inferior trainer than I am today.

I shook off my thoughts and selected a pokeball from my Clembag.

"Froslass, stand by for battle."

Choosing Froslass was no accident as its unique typing allows for boosted hits on both Psychic Types and Dragon Types. 

Unfortunately, before we could commence our battle, the genius we had as a judge had to ask a final question.

"Do any of the trainers on the battlefield have any remarks to make?"

"Actually I do." The boy standing beside me remarked as I gritted my teeth.

"Very well, what do you have to say?" Asked the braindead battle judge, clearly uninterested in actually starting the battle within the next year.

"Well, this is actually a rematch of sorts, specifically with Iris, Miss Dragon-Master. I don't expect you to actually remember me, I just want to put that out there before the battle."

Champion Iris had a confused demeanor on her face. "Sorry, but it's true I don't remember you mister... what's your name again?"

The tomato boy to my right was on the verge of construing a sentence but was interrupted by Champion Diantha clearing her throat. "Considering that the 'name' you are giving us is 'Tom Ato', is it safe to assume that you are under an alias?"

"Yes I am, thank you. Actually, now that I think about it, this would also be a rematch with you too, Champion Diantha."

Both Champions looked at each other with elements of surprise painted on their feminine faces.

I was just disgusted.

Battles where trainers are emotionally invested are battles not worth fighting. 

"Don't get in my way." I mumbled.

"You said that twice."

"Well, I guess we'll make this the best rematch you've ever had!" Champion Iris shouted at a volume much louder than necessary, followed by cheers from the audience significantly louder than necessary.

"Well, I guess that's my cue. Gardevoir and Haxorus versus Froslass and Pikachu."

We all tensed up, awaiting the call.

ring ring ring, ring ring ring

My teammate swiftly turned away from us as he answered his phone.

"No Joey... yes, I know your Raticate is top percentage- we can talk about that afterwards! I'm in a battle right now ...yes the champion one... no it hasn't started yet. You know what, I'll call you later. Bye!"

Rotom-Phones are a unique invention. On one hand, it puts a pokedex in everyone's pocket, instead of a select few dex-holders. On the other, it makes incidents like these a frequent occurrence.

"Alright everyone, sorry for the delay. Without further ado, battle begin!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

110M 3.4M 115
The Bad Boy and The Tomboy is now published as a Wattpad Book! As a Wattpad reader, you can access both the Original Edition and Books Edition upon p...