The Society | Completed

By ayeohfee

Conrad Rosser is a Beta's daughter in a society where each rank is matched within itself. Werewolves are crea... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Epilogue

Part 54

7.4K 247 10
By ayeohfee

It stays quiet, and by the time the clock strikes 6 am, Sabrina is fast asleep, and Conrad is twitching in her chair.

Carlos had stayed in the hospital, as Conrad had wanted. She would have liked him there for a little extra security, but he wasn't in fighting form, and she'd never put him at risk.

The entire floor was silent, and nobody had moved from their apartments all night. She had been watching the security cameras intently, ready to tell people to get back in.

The sun is slowly rising, and the beams flit in through the slightly open blinds.

She stands up from her chair, her knees and hips clicking in unison as she moves for the first time in hours.

Conrad peers through the blinds, noting the absence of people or cars outside. She can see their vehicle abandoned by the emergency entrance, but nobody is near it. Rogues may act ballsy at night, but they usually wouldn't risk being caught in the capital in daylight. While there was security at night, it was a lot less concentrated than during the day.

She mindlinks Carlos nervously, glancing back at the security cameras.

Something doesn't feel right to her.

Yeah, it's probably the two hours of sleep we're running on. You're paranoid, you dumb bitch, Jane groans.

Conrad brushes her wolf off, pursing her lips and putting her gun down.

She's exhausted, and she wants to try to get an hour of sleep before Sabrina wakes up.

Guards are there. They've just swapped shifts, but they're definitely there. Get some sleep, baby, Carlos pleads, and Conrad rubs her temples.

She has a headache, which could probably be attributed to the stress of the entire week.

She closes the blind fully and walks into her bedroom, gently laying down on the bed.

Waking Sabrina up isn't a situation that Conrad wants to handle, so she lays on top of the sheets, face-down into the pillow.

Her mind is still racing, but she knows that if she doesn't rest, she'll be useless for the day.

It feels like the door bursts open as soon as she closes her eyes, and she immediately scrambles for her gun, forgetting she left it in the kitchen.

"Daddy," Sabrina screams, jumping off the bed and into the arms of Carlos, who's rubbing his shoulder with a frown on his lips.

"Hello. I thought you guys would be awake by now," he comments, looking back at the door ruefully.

"I was awake! I've been awake for hours; Con was asleep!" Sabrina shrugs.

He burst through the door when he didn't hear any response after ringing the doorbell for a while, because he was concerned something had happened.

"We could have gone out for a walk. You broke my door," Conrad groans, slowly sitting up.

"You look like a troll doll," Sabrina comments, skipping back to the bed and sitting at the feet.

"Thank you, Rina, that really makes me feel happy about the day ahead of us," Conrad grumbles.

She looks to Carlos, who - while pale - looks a lot better than he had the day before.

For one, he could stand unaided.

"What time is it?" Conrad asks suddenly, looking at her watch.

"Midday," Carlos replies, leaning against the doorframe.

You spoke too soon. He can't stand up himself, Jane sighs.

He literally had his ribs cracked apart yesterday; I wouldn't be able to sit up if I were him, Conrad complains to his wolf.

"I'm going to the bathroom," Sabrina declares, skipping away to the ensuite.

"Are you okay?" Conrad asks Carlos, standing up from the bed and walking over to him.

"I'm doing better than I expected. In a lot of pain, but they used some trial drugs on the wound, and it's fully healed now. The doctors expect me to be back to normal in a few days; I just have to take it easy," he explains, drawing her into a one-armed hug.

He leans down and kisses her forehead, examining her face.

"You have pillow marks on your face," he observes, laughing softly.

"Oh, stop it. I was up until 6 trying to make sure nobody got in," she grumbles, leaning her head against his shoulder.

"How do you feel today?" He asks.

"I feel great. Tired, but pretty good," she shrugs, detaching herself from him and walking towards the fridge.

There's nothing in the fridge - she hasn't been back to her apartment for a couple of weeks, so she closes the door quickly.

"We could go get some waffles if you'd like," he suggests, and she grins, nodding.

Whenever she's this tired, a big breakfast always helps her fix the day.

"Sab, we're going to go for waffles," Conrad yells, digging through her drawers.

She pulls out the spare clothes Carlos had left there for himself and Sabrina, tossing them onto the chair in the living room, and then picks out a long skirt and black t-shirt, waiting for Sabrina to leave the bathroom.

Sabrina skips out, and Conrad points to the chair, ruffling Sabrina's hair as she walks by.

"Clothes are there. Hairbrush is on the bedside table," she announces as she passes her, closing the door.

She brushes her teeth first, trying to mentally plan her day.

She has work to do this evening, and she doesn't care where she does it; be it in a car or a cave, she's getting it done and sending it to Derek.

When Conrad's done with her teeth, she does her skincare routine, whacking some hair oil into her hair to let it soak in while she gets dressed.

As she's pulling the skirt up, she notices a little bit of a bump.

That's probably the Chinese takeout you had last night. You can't blame this one on the baby, Jane snorts.

Conrad rolls her eyes, pulling the zip up and walking out of the bathroom.

Brushing through her hair, she chews on her lip while trying to decide what shoes to wear.

She decides to go with a pair of trainers, manoeuvring around Sabrina.

The little girl is sitting on the floor with Carlos' phone, watching a video while Carlos sits in the chair by the bedroom door, his eyes closed and his head resting against the wall.

It's quiet apart from Sabrina's video and the excited chattering from the phone.

Once Conrad is dressed, she closes all of the blinds in her bedroom, turning all of the lights off.

She still has to pay for all of the electricity bills, and she has no intention of driving up the cost.

"I saw my car, by the way. If you call that parking, I think we need to take you to get new glasses," Carlos grins, and Conrad chuckles softly.

"I kept Sabrina alive; leave my parking alone," she snorts.

Sabrina is totally enraptured by the screen, and Carlos gently pushes her along while Conrad does her best to lock the remainder of the door.

"A guard is coming to stand by the door, don't worry, I wouldn't leave your apartment this open," he mutters, a blush crawling into his cheeks.

"You even have a key. You just didn't need to bust the door open," she complains.

Carlos grabs her hand, kissing her knuckles as they stroll along.

"Thank you," he murmurs.

She lets her shoulder bump off his bicep, a smile on his lips.

"I mean it. You saved Sabrina and our little nugget. And yourself. I don't know what I'd do without you guys," Carlos whispers.

Sabrina has no interest in anything they're saying, so Conrad looks back up at him.

Looking into his eyes sometimes takes her breath away, and she inhales quickly, her heart fluttering a little.

"I love you," she murmurs.

"Ew," Sabrina remarks, scrunching her nose up.

She stopped to let the two adults catch up, and by the time they do, she's bored.

"Where are those manners your teachers claim you have? I don't see them," Carlos replies, quirking an eyebrow.

Sabrina rolls her eyes as she turns back around, scuttling down the hallway.

Carlos winces after he brushes against the wall accidentally, his breath catching in his throat.

"What's wrong?" Conrad asks straight away, stopping in her tracks.

She glances between Carlos and Sabrina, watching Carlos wave his hand in an attempt to dismiss the situation.

"Sab, go ahead and press the button for the elevator," Conrad encourages, and the little girl slowly turns back around and continues down the hallway.

What's wrong?, Conrad asks again, standing in between him and where Sabrina has gone. If he falls, she doesn't want Sabrina to see it.

"Just pain," he utters out loud, pursing his lips.

"Do I need to ring the doctor?" She asks nervously, and he shakes his head.

"It'll pass. The doctors didn't really want me to even leave my bed, never mind be up and walking," he whispers.

Conrad can see the beads of sweat on his forehead, and she nods slowly, offering her arm.

He slowly leaves the wall where he's slumped and eases some of his weight onto Conrad's shoulder.

"I'll drive," she says firmly, and Carlos nods silently, focusing on making it to the elevator; which they do, faster than Conrad expected.

Sabrina is impatient, as always, slamming the button every few seconds.

The doors finally open, and they step in, Conrad making sure she has her keys.

Conrad's phone rings, and Carlos nods to her to answer it, Sabrina holding his hand.

"Con, you guys need to get down here. Carlos isn't answering his phone, but you need to get here, right now. There are people looking for you, and they're not looking for you to give you a hello," Amber rushes out, stumbling across her words in her haste.

"Amber, what's happening?" Conrad asks in a tone of exasperation, clenching her jaw.

All she wants is a day off.

"We got a tip today, from one of McCann's little minions. She's sent another assassin after Carlos, and you guys need to get to the quarters as soon as you can. No diversions, get here, right now," Amber urges.

"What do you mean, another assassin? Are they identified?" Conrad asks, her brows furrowed.

Carlos looks at her with concern plastered across his face, unconsciously tightening his grip on Sabrina's hand.

"No. We're working on that now; they didn't know who she sent. He only found out when he was reviewing the bank records for their quarter card," Amber explains, before a string of curses leaves her mouth, "I've gotta go, I think we found something. Get here as quickly as you can."

The phone call ends abruptly, and Conrad rubs her chin absently as she looks over to Carlos.

"Okay, Rina, we're going to have the make a stop at the office. I can get someone to bring you waffles, but we need to check on something before we go," Conrad informs the little girl.

Someone is looking for us. You, in particular, Conrad warns Carlos.

"Fine. Can you ask them to bring maple syrup?" Sabrina asks grumpily, folding her arms.

Carlos is too distracted to scold her, which he usually would. He doesn't like her coming across as rude unless it's justified, and snapping at Conrad isn't what he considers warranted most of the time.

"Of course, they'll do that," Conrad replies quickly, stabbing the button for the doors to open.

She gets out first, helping Carlos out after her.

Sabrina stays close to them, her eyes glued to the phone again as they move.

Conrad can't stop shaking as they make their way towards the car.

Sabrina is in a completely different world, while Carlos focuses on staying upright without throwing up from the level of pain he's suddenly in.

Conrad throws the doors open, waiting for the two to climb in before she hops in herself, throwing the car into reverse and swinging out of the dead-end she had abandoned the vehicle in.

Jane turns off anything unneeded in Conrad's head, letting her focus on the road. She was panicking so much that it woke Jane up, something her wolf wasn't thrilled about.

As soon as they get to the governmental building, Conrad grabs Sabrina, pulling her into the front before they leave the car.

She didn't have a clear view of the back of the car, so she was more concerned about the stuff she couldn't see than what she could - which was nothing.

"Okay, let's go," Carlos breathes, his lips pursed and his brows furrowed.

Conrad glances at him, leading the way to the main door with Sabrina under her arm.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34M 928K 63
Seventeen-year-old Scarlett Hayes is living her life by her own rules. Losing her parents at a young age has made her strong and fiercely independent...
298K 8.9K 19
Naylani and Jason grow up together. Naylani is the beta's daughter and Jason is the Alpha's son. Their Fate binds them together
905 2 23
I was the strongest Lycan in the world, I am the King of all supernaturals. Feared by everyone, envied by males and, lusted for by all females...my n...
356K 13.2K 22
~COMPLETED~ Asha is an artist and a beta dreams of having a mate who will love and cherish him. Kade is an alpha and Montenegro's richest heir,he jus...