Their Fireheart

By KShroye

In a world where Prythian and Erilea were once one, Aelin Ashryver Galathynius is the Queen Who Was Promised... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Part One Epilogue
Part Two
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight

Chapter Twenty-Six

1.1K 46 6
By KShroye

Rhysand

I snarled at the letter I was reading, throwing it down on my desk and running my fingers raggedly through my hair. It had been days, days, since Aelin and Rowan left and all we could do was sit around and wait. Sure, we were still working towards this damned war effort, as evident by the promising and infuriating letter I had just read, but I was going out of my mind with worry. It had been much too long since I last laid eyes on my goddess, my mate, and I still didn't even know if she wanted me. It was enough to drive a male to madness.

I didn't even know where she was.

Azriel assured me that she was fine, he had attached one of his shadows to her permanently since finding out there was a real chance he could be one of her mates. He had at least some sort of surveillance on the stunning little creature who had become our entire universe.

The lucky bastard.

Speaking of the devil, I looked up to see Azriel lurking in the doorway to my study. Noticing he had captured my attention he nodded, "Mor just went to winnow Rowan and Aelin back. They should be arriving back shortly."

Thank fuck.

I shot to my feet, following him to the living room of the House of Wind. I was practically feral in my need to see Aelin. I was also cautiously concerned with what male would greet us. If they had indeed worked out their differences, which for Aelin, and only Aelin's sake, I hoped they had, there was a solid chance Rowan would not take kindly to the presence of three powerful fae males around his mate.

I didn't care. I needed to see Aelin.

I entered the living area to see Azriel casually lounging in the corner and Cassian pacing across the space of the room. I shot a look at Az, hating that the prick knew more about the situation than I did, but settled into the couch, attempting to calm my racing nerves. This entire situation grated on my nerves but I was so desperate to see Aelin that I didn't even care if we got answers at this point.

Next thing I knew, Mor appeared with Aelin and Rowan in tow. I shot to my feet, not even caring to keep the cool, calm, unaffected mask usually associated with my rank as High Lord. Looking at her ethereal face, it was like I could suddenly breathe again. I scanned her from head to toe, thankful she appeared to be in one piece.

Once I had assured myself that she was at least physically fine, I allowed myself to widen my awareness and take stock of the entire situation. Rowan was standing incrementally closer to her than she normally allowed, both radiating pure security and pleasure. Their hands casually brushing together at their sides, and even Mor seemed relieved as she stood next to them. I caught the faintest glimpse of mating marks on both of their necks.

Apparently they had worked out their differences after all.

I tried not to let jealousy overwhelm me as I took stock of Rowan. It took considerable effort not to tense at the threat an obviously recently mated male could pose, especially one as lethal as Rowan had proven to be, and I could feel Azriel and Cassian standing at attention beside me.

Aelin clearly took great amusement in our wariness, as she purred at us, "So tense, boys. Whatever could be the matter?"

I looked over at the female incredulously, even as relief roared through me at the joy sparkling in her eyes. Even if it was due to me, it was a relief to see her happy, especially considering how devastated she had been when I had last laid eyes on her.

Cassian had clearly decided to completely disregard the threat, as he surged forward and wrapped up Aelin in a bone crushing hug, swinging her off her feet. "It's good to see you little warrior. It seems as though you had an eventful few days." His eyes sparkled with mirth, but I wondered if Aelin could sense the seed of pain and insecurity he was hiding.

I shot a glance to Rowan at his movement, but the male seemed shockingly calm as he observed another male so close to his mate. His actions surprised me considering just how territorial he was when he arrived. When he sensed me looking, he locked gazes with me and simply shrugged before returning to watch Aelin with a look of complete and total adoration.

Perhaps knowing he had secured his place as her mate was all the reassurance he needed. I certainly wouldn't mind that kind of reassurance at the moment.

Her musical laugh was enthralling as she forced Cassian to put her down, brushing her hair back from her eyes before turning to face the rest of us again. "Yes, it was an enlightening few days," a smirk played at the edges of her lips as she cast a sidelong glance toward Rowan, who radiated smugness. That smirk turned rueful as she turned back to me, "Although, it would appear that I owe you a new hunting cabin."

Mor snorted out loud, and my blood heated while a shot of pure jealousy speared my chest simultaneously at that little insinuation. I had to actively force my mind not to linger on how exactly they had destroyed a centuries old mountain cabin, although Rowan's knowing grin told me all I needed to know. I could feel the heated stares from my brothers and decided to cut in before this got out of hand. As much as I wanted to drag Aelin away and show her all the numerous ways I could destroy her....it would have to wait.

I gritted my teeth and cleared my throat loudly, "As relieved I am to see you in higher spirits, darling, I'm afraid we will have to cut this reunion short. I received a letter from Tarquin, if we want a chance at acquiring his half of the book of breathings, we need to leave as soon as possible." Aelin nodded, looking serious and determined once more. "Additionally, it would be best if only Aelin, Amren and I attended this visit."

Instantly, protests rose from the other males in attendance. Even Azriel's eyes flashed with anger, although I knew he would understand my reasoning. Cassian snarled and argued, while Rowan stepped even closer to his mate's side, fists clenched next to him. I waved my hand over their outbursts, waiting for silence before I continued my explanation.

"Obviously it needs to be Aelin and I since Aelin was the one who secured the meeting, and I am High Lord. The Summer Court is terrified of Amren, so having her there will be an excellent distraction." I turned towards my brothers.

"Cassian, you know very well you are banned from the Summer Court." I ignored his grumblings about it being one destroyed building, and Aelin's answering snicker. "Azriel, I need you here to help aide Mor in her attempts to secure a meeting with the mortal Queens." Although he nodded begrudgingly, I knew he would always have at least one shadow permanently attached to Aelin.

Grimacing, I turned to the only recently mated male in the vicinity, and no I was not bitter, "Rowan, if you were there it could be a distraction of the negative variety, and we cannot afford another....incident like the one at the High Lords meeting."

He and Aelin locked eyes, communicating wordlessly in a way that only mates knew how to do. I grit my teeth but refused to look away until a solution was reached. Rowan was clenching his jaw for an entirely different reason, but eventually nodded, looking incredibly displeased.

He speared me with a fierce look, "Take care of my Fireheart, Rhysand."

The underlying threat was there, but I wasn't worried. I would let this entire realm burn before I allowed a single hair on Aelin's head to be harmed.

Aelin

It only took a few hours to prepare for our trip to the Summer Court, Rhysand already letting Tarquin know of our planned arrival time. While Rhys's mysterious shadowed servants took care of packing, I prepared myself in a flowing turquoise gown, its skirts flowing and teasing at glimpses of my legs with tempting slits up both sides. It was simple enough, with a delicately jeweled waist and matching gems upon my shoulders. The look was finished with two golden combs dotted with sapphires that swept my hair back from my face, mimicking the appearance of a crown.

As I entered the foyer of the House of Wind, I was greeted by the sight of all four of my mates, not that all of them knew that. Rowan looked fierce as ever, in a simple green tunic and trousers, his eyes flaring with heat as he took in my appearance.

I was beyond thankful that he had been understanding about my other mate bonds. After we had initially come together I had told him everything I knew, and how I planned to come clean to the others about the bonds. He took the news stoically and hadn't seemed upset. In fact all he had said in return was, Mates or not, if they hurt you I'll kill them. I had still been wary about his easy acceptance so he took the liberty of demonstrating just how okay he was with our situation, several times. By the time Mor had come to get us we were surrounded by nothing but rubble.

The memory of what he had done to me brought a pink flush to my cheeks so I quickly turned to survey the others. Cassian and Azriel are dressed in their Illyrian leathers, looking as fierce and intimidating as ever. Their fierce gazes send heat coursing low in my stomach and quickly take in Rhys, who is once again dressed as the imperious High Lord in all black, with silver accents throughout and his wings tucked away as if they didn't exist at all. He looks over my attire with dark, sweeping eyes that reveal both too much and not enough.

My attention is pulled away by a snorting Amren, who is dressed casually in a flowing silver pants and cropped shirt, typical of the Night Court attire, and I glare at her without any real heat. She smiles a broad, feline grin and asks, "Well, are you ready for what comes next Firebringer?"

I narrow my gaze at her, knowing she is talking about more than just our trip to the Summer Court, but wave my hand at her, adopting a breezy venomous tone as I respond, "I was born ready. You of all people should know that Lani."

I ignore her grumblings about my being an impetuous brat and walk over to Rhysand, taking his offered arm before turning towards the solemn faces of other males. My heart aches looking at Azriel and Cassian, wishing I had the time to speak to them before leaving again. Their eyes are fierce on mine, burning with some promise that I don't understand. I know that they can't know we are mates, but they must feel something to be watching me the way they are. Unfortunately for them, that conversation will have to wait. I doubt they will accept me, but they deserve the truth. I can't hide it for much longer.

At least I know I will have one mate at my side. I turn my eyes to Rowan, gratitude and love shining within me as I look at him.

Be good, Buzzard.

His eyes flare at my little statement, As long as you promise to stay safe and come back to me, Fireheart.

I melt. Always. To whatever end.

Before he can question that little statement, Rhys whisks us away on a midnight wind. Next thing I know we are standing on a platform outside a large stone palace. The brutal, suffocating heat was reminiscent of the Red Desert, but thankfully a cool breeze blew in from the turquoise sea, although it did nothing to dim the glaring sun that reflected off the water.

The palace itself was centered on an island within a crescent shaped bay, surrounded by a city spread out along the island and coast. The buildings were magnificent, built out of a pearlescent white material that appeared to be sourced from the sea itself. Seabirds flapped around the sky, reminding me of the ports of Rifthold, and the bay was dotted with vessels of all kinds.

At the end of a delicate walkway connecting the platform to the larger palace, Tarquin stood with half a dozen members of his court a half step behind him. His turquoise eyes matched the waters of the surrounding bay near perfectly, I noted with amusement. I wonder if there was some magic involved there, it seemed almost too coincidental.

He stepped forward eagerly, gaze already locked appreciatively on me. "Welcome to Adriata, Your Majesty." Rhysand shuffled purposefully, causing Tarquin to shift his gaze and tack on, "and you, Rhysand."

Rhys slipped one hand into a pocket and gestured casually to Amren on his left, "Amren, I think you already know. Though you haven't met her since your...promotion." Cool and calculated, but deadly. All traits I appreciated in a male.

I almost cackled at the wary looks the rest of the Summer Court shot towards Amren. If only they knew who they were really dealing with. Although I suppose that could be said for both of us. I had purposefully kept my human form for the initial greetings. Being underestimated was never a bad thing.

Tarquin, for his credit, gave Amren a brief nod, "Welcome back to the city, lady." She leveled him with a cunning smile, but seemed content to allow us to take the lead for the time being.

I smirked, more than ready to take a break from the whirling emotions of the past few days and slip into a safer, more comfortable role. I purred at Tarquin, "What a lovely court you have. I must say, the heat reminds me of a place I spent many months in my younger days."

His eyes gleamed with interest, no doubt hoping that the familiarity would be a selling point for his court. I felt Rhys stiffen ever so slightly as he responded flirtatiously, "I look forward to learning more about that experience. Where might that have been, Your Majesty?"

I hummed thoughtfully, allowing my gaze to sweep over the city almost disinterestedly before replying with a small lilt to my tone, "The Red Desert. Of course I wasn't able to spend much time along the coast since the stronghold of the Mute Master of the Silent Assassins was in the very heart of the desert, and well, training did take up all the hours in the day."

I turned back towards the group, eyes gleaming at the shell-shocked looks upon the members of the Summer Court. I strutted past an agape Tarquin and his ensemble before pausing at the entrance to the palace, turning back to say, "Well? Shall we?"

I caught the wicked gleam in Rhysand's eyes and faintly heard Amren cackle as I continued my trek inward, Tarquin rushing to catch up to me.

Oh, yes. This would be very fun indeed. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.5K 1.1K 24
The story of the mistake that wasn't quite a mistake - Fate works in unique ways and Eralyn had a first-hand experience of it. After being warped int...
47.8K 1.4K 47
The story of what would happen if Aelin got stuck in Prythian after her realm traveling. Spoilers to both ACOWAR and KoA. All characters belong to Sa...
81.2K 2.5K 27
New beginnings. Fresh starts. In two seperate worlds, kingdoms are rebuildings, cities are rejoicing, and people are beginning anew. Both Aelin Ashry...
67.7K 2.4K 51
๐’‚๐’ ๐’‚๐’„๐’๐’•๐’‚๐’“/๐’•๐’๐’ˆ ๐’‡๐’‚๐’๐’‡๐’Š๐’„๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ *after EOS and ACOMAF Fenrys can't watch it anymore... he can't watch his queen in everything but oath...