The Other Part of Me

By Mystic_Raven20

Everyone has a soul mark linking them to their other half; their soul mate. Some are happy with the reveal... More

Prologue
Five Weeks Earlier
Fate doesn't give up
I close my eyes and dream of you
My courage always rises
Romantica
What do I do now?
Electrified Touch
Step-By-Step
Seven Day Countdown
Baring Souls
Premonition or Dream?
So close, yet so far
Which girl to love?
Happy Sweet Sixteenth
The Beginning of the End
Awaken
The Legend that is Plagg
The Final Fight (Part I)
The Final Fight (Part II)
Aftermath
He's Home
The Other Part of Me

That Fatal Day

2.5K 102 92
By Mystic_Raven20

Marinette saw Luka waiting for her by the drop off at the mall's entrance. Practically throwing it off its hinges, she swung the car door open and barrelled into him. Wrapping her arms around his shoulders, and burying her face in his neck.

"Happy sweet sixteenth, Mari." She giggled in response, placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Are you excited?" She whispered.

Tomorrow was the day. The day when Luka finally got to be with his soulmate, and even though hers was a complete mess, she was so happy for Luka and Zoe.

"I am, but today it is all about you, so quit hugging me and go and speak to the rest of your friends. Alya's been pretty excited to see you."

As Marinette made her way over to Alya, Luka's focus shifted to the sedan. Adrien was moving slowly and he looked miles away. Luka couldn't understand what had happened. If either of these two were going to have a freak out, his money would always be on Marinette. Adrien was usually cool, calm and collected, the blonde in front of him was none of these. What had happened at the shoot?

Luka was right, Adrien was freaking out. He wasn't cool, in fact his insides were burning. He wasn't calm, he was one shake away from a fizzy explosion and collected? Ha! He was scattered around like shattered glass. Everything he thought, everything he knew was a lie.

Once Marinette had left to her dressing room, Adrien powered back to his own, releasing Plagg and having a mental breakdown. It took the poor kwami fifteen minutes to even out Adrien's breath before trying to get the young lad to speak to him.

"She's - it's not? But how? I mean - I know how, but why?"

Plagg looked at his young wielder and had to hold back the smile. If Adrien was acting this way then Marinette was going to be a blast when she found out.

"Just breath, kid. Everything's ok."

Adrien nodded.

"It's all ok. Yes, it's fine. Marinette is only the sweetest girl I've ever met. She's talented, creative, funny and she's just a friend. No, wait, she can't be just a friend, she's my soulmate. But she loves someone. I love someone too, and it's not Marinette, or is it Marinette? I told her everything. She knows! She is - wow - this is a lot."

Plagg flew in front of Adrien as the sixteen year old slowly slid down the wall to sit on the floor, hands pulling at his once perfect hair. Adrien wasn't someone to ramble on, he was broken. Completely and utterly broken.

"Adrien, I need you to focus. You're sounding like a crazy kid. Let's break this down. What do you know?" Plagg asked.

"I know Marinette is my soulmate."

"Ok, and how does that make you feel?"

Adrien looked into Plagg's eyes, suddenly feeling unable to lie.

"Honestly? Warm and fuzzy, and downright heartbroken! She loves someone else Plagg. Wait? She told me, when I was Chat, that she loved her soulmate. Does she know that's me?"

Plagg didn't know what to do, this was verging on identity reveals and it was still unknown what the Guardian thought. He couldn't go against Tikki and Marinette, so he needed to distract Adrien from the truth, for the moment anyway.

"Isn't she with that guitar kid? Perhaps she thought it was linked to him."

"Luka! I'd forgotten about him." Adrien sighed and dropped his head. This was not how it was meant to be. He wasn't meant to hurt three friends in the process. Kagami always questioned his relationship with Marinette, and now she'd have to know they're soulmates. Rubbing his hands down his face, he pushed the heel of his palms into his eyes.

A text message sounded around the room and Adrien stretched his hand up to the worktop next to where he was sat, fumbling around for his phone. Once in his grasp he pulled it down and in front of his face.

One new message.

Nino: Hey dude, any news on when you and the birthday girl are free?

In all that had gone on he'd forgotten about calling Nino. Quickly composing a text, he informed his friend that they were finished and would be on their way shortly.

He needed to get his act together, Marinette would probably be changed, by now, and waiting for him. As much as he would have liked to have another look at his soulmark, he opted for getting changed and heading out to Marinette. He'd get a decent look at it once he arrived home. He'd seen enough of it for now.

Two hours later they were at the mall, and Luka was walking over to him. The boy his soulmate had decided to love. The anger and jealousy began to boil inside him, That was until he looked over and saw Kagami. He had no right to be angry when he was a couple of hours away from committing to marriage with another girl. He scoffed to himself. Marinette had warned him. Plagg had warned him. Yet, here he was messing everyone and everything up.

"You ok?" Luka, kind and caring Luka, had made his way over to Adrien. He could have hissed. Why was this guy so likeable?

"Yeah, fine." Pushing past Luka, he made his way over to Kagami.

The look on her face was everything but happy.

"You don't need to be so hostile to people, Adrien. Luka was just concerned."

Kagami, straight to the point Kagami. For once he wished she'd sugar coated things a little more. Allow him to feel what he wanted. His feelings were changing quickly today, and not being near Marinette was making him grumpy and anxious.

Adrien looked over to her. She was currently in a deep conversation with Alya. He could tell they were discussing something serious, something that didn't concern him. It would never concern him. He'd messed up too badly. Marinette was pulling Alya to one side, and lifting her cardigan. Alya's face turned into one of shock, and from the looks of it devastation. How had Marinette gone from being so happy about her soulmate to so sad.

He watched Luka walk over to the girls, and Marinette pulling the cardigan back down, placing on her usual Marinette smile. He couldn't see what they were talking about but they were laughing. He loved seeing her so free and happy, it expanded his heart and hurt it all at the same time.

"Adrien, are you listening to me?" Kagami placed a hand on Adrien's forearm, bringing his concentration back to her.

"Sorry, I was miles away. What did you say?" Kagami sighed before pulling Adrien to one side.

"You're staring at her."

"I am not staring at Marinette!" Adrien was quick to defend, only resulting in an eye narrowing from Kagami.

"I never mentioned a name, Adrien."

He placed a hand on the back of his neck, rubbing with enough force to cause himself a friction burn. Taking pity on him she spoke again, remembering it was her he had chosen and they would be signing their contracts later today. She knew Gabriel was ironclad with contracts, as was her mother, comforting her that she had Adrien was in her grasp. But still, something was tingling in the back of her mind, something about Marinette.

"My mothers sending a car. We're going home in ten minutes." Kagami instructed.

"I don't think so. I've got until the time of our dinner reservation free, I'm not leaving until then." He responded. Beginning to make his way back to the others. He noted Marinette had already left the group and was walking hand in hand with Luka towards the entrance. The irritation intensified. He wanted to walk over and rip their hands apart.

"Your father doesn't want you to stay here. He said it's too dangerous." Kagami had joined him, hissing in his ear whilst threading their hands together.

The group began to move following Marinette's lead. Nino looked to Adrien giving him a sad soft smile, he knew Kagami wasn't happy. Seeing her face made it obvious to anyone looking.

"It's Marinette's birthday and I'm staying. You go if you want to, I'm not holding you here hostage." Adrien cursed himself, what was up with his temper today. Holding his breath and breathing out to four, he closed his eyes to calm.

"Look, I'm sorry Kagami. Things have just got to me today more than usual."

She looked him over before nodding.

"I forgive you. I will talk to my mother, I'm sure we can stay for an hour."

Adrien thanked Kagami and gave her hand a quick squeeze. An hour was better than nothing, but still it was only an hour. What could happen in an hour?

Marinette held onto Luka's hand tightly. Her nerves seemed to be on edge since the encounter with Gabriel, and the temptation to run off and check to see if her kitty had responded to her message was growing to a point of desperation.

"What's on your mind?" Luka continued looking forward, speaking at a volume for Marinette's ears only.

She looked up into his blue eyes and sighed. Where did she start? Her soulmark had appeared and it was most definitely Chat Noir as she was Ladybug. If anyone saw it they could easily tell, Alya almost fainted at the sight and she already knew. She was at a photoshoot with Adrien and almost kissed him. She was also feeling more drawn to him than ever before, and realised for the second time in her life she'd missed judging him. Add that to the fact she thinks she knows who Hawkmoth, or Shadowmoth, or whatever he wants to be known as, is and she was sure her brain was about to explode.

"Nice necklace, by the way." Oh yes, also a necklace from the guy who she continuously has an infatuation with which was a red rose. Not pink, no yellow, red. Yes her mind was that of a scrambled egg.

"Thanks, Adrien gave it to me for my birthday."

Luka looked back at Adrien only to meet his intense stare. His reaction was similar to when Luka had met Zoe for the first time. It was primal, it was possessive. He looked down to see Marinette's hand unconsciously playing with the rose, twisting it between her fingers before placing it in her mouth. He bent down and whispered in her ear, before looking back at Adrien. The green eyes of his friend turned into slits and at that moment Luka knew the truth. It was obvious.

"Luka?" Marinette's voice pulled him out of his staring match with the oblivious blonde model, placing all his attention back on his soon to be ex-fake girlfriend.

"Sorry, Mari. What did you say?" She smiled at him, and patted his cheek with such affection he swore Adrien had just burnt two holes in the back of his head.

"Alya and I, are going to look at the new dress shop. Are you ok hanging out with the boys?"

"Of course, you go and have fun." And hopefully Adrien won't murder me, he wanted to add.

Alya came and grabbed Marinette's hand, leading her away from the group, sending a quick apology to Luka for stealing his date.

"Kagami's not coming, she said the dresses are mediocre. She's probably waiting for her own soulmate dress personally designed by Gabriel Agreste." Alya explained, leading Marinette to the 'L'amore' dress shop.

Marinette's face turned red.

"Well actually, M. Agreste is allowing me to keep the dress I used for the shoot earlier." Alya froze in her tracks.

"No way!" She exclaimed, "that's amazing, Marinette."

"It's so beautiful, Alya."

"I bet it is. We'll have to book in for nails, and hair and make sure our dates buy us flowers." Alya internally squirmed. Why did she bring up dates? She took a sly glance over at Marinette. Much to her delight, Marinette was fine.

"Alya, don't worry about it. I might not have a date but I'll be ok. I'm the saviour of Paris for crying out loud. I can go to a dance without a date."

"You are a strong, confident woman." Alya smiled at Marinette, only to be greeted by the raven hair's pearly whites.

"That I am."

They'd made it to the shop and began to look around. Even though Marinette was set with her own amazing dress, she couldn't help but still browse at the layers upon layers of wonderful fabric. Each having been sculpted into the most beautiful design.

"So," Alya dragged out the word, "how do you think Chat's taking it this morning? Do you think he realises what it is?"

"Alya, my mama and papa recognised it straight away. You've seen it, too. He'd have to be a complete idiot not to link it to Ladybug."

"Hold up," Alya moved closer and spoke quietly, "your parents know."

Marinette nodded, remembering their reaction from this morning. She's got a lot of explaining to do when she gets home.

"Woah!" Alya sighed out.

"Anyway," Marinette said, as she pulled out a beautiful black and gold Aline dress, "I hope my kitty is having a freak out realising what he's done. I hope he knows I'm going to be mega pissed off with him, and when we reveal our identities I want him to cry and beg for forgiveness."

Alya smiled, proud of the way her friend was handling it. She adored when Marinette went into Ladybug mode. It was so strong and powerful.

"You're revealing then?"

Again, Marinette nodded. A huge grin spread on her face, she'd been thinking about how to do it. Even though Chat had been an idiot, it was very likely he might feel the same as Adrien. There might be a whole other side to the story which she doesn't know yet. So she wanted them to reveal, and be able to talk about it. She thought about Luka and Zoe. They'd made so much progress since they had begun to communicate more, maybe it could work for them too.

"I need to speak to him soon, and he'll find my identity out of it. Alya, I think I know who-"

Four clear noises echoed around the shop, causing Marinette to stop mid sentence. Three of the noises sounded how she expected gun fire to sound, after all she'd only heard it in films and in games. The fourth sound was glass shattering right next to her ear, shards flying around her leaving splinters in her face and arms. Marinette swore everything that happened next was in slow motion, grabbing her hand Alya began to pull her out of the shop. The chaos around them separated them before they'd even made it to the door.

"Alya, keep running. I'm right behind you." As soon as Marinette saw her friend bolt, she collapsed to the ground. A pain running through her leg unlike anything she'd felt before, and considering some of the akuma's that they had battled that was saying something. She couldn't think of anything, just the soring pain currently overtaking her body. People were jumping over her, no one stopped to help. A whimper left her mouth as she began to crawl around the aisles of the shop.

She was quite sure an announcement was being made over the tannoy, the voice being muffled by the current blood flow throbbing in her ears. Her once pink jeans were currently transforming into her suit, or so she thought. The red tapered up towards her hip and down to the floor, leaving a trail of her movements as she dragged herself across the floor. She couldn't understand why her suit was leaving such a trail, did it want her to get caught.

A small voice called her name, or what she thought was her name. Everything was starting to get a little blurry and she wasn't sure where she was. Had she been fighting an akuma? Was she on a rooftop? Where was ...

"Chat?" She called, "Kitty, I need you."

The little voice spoke again, it was telling her to move. That she needed to move.

Move

Such a simple instruction, so why couldn't she complete the action?

Looking up she saw a door slightly ajar in front of her. Perhaps that was the door to where she needed to go, though she couldn't quite remember where she was heading to? Maybe she was going to Adrien's house? The door looked expensive, he had expensive doors.

The red trail was getting thicker, her head becoming more fuzzy as she continued her army crawl across the floor. She stopped for a moment and took a deep breath. Pain, so much pain. She just needed to go a little more to get through the door. She was dying. She was sure this was it. The door was the highway to hell. When she went through it, it would be the end.

There was so much she hadn't done. She hadn't defeated Hawkmoth, or told Chat she loved him, she hadn't told Adrien either. She wasn't going to finish school, get married, have three kids and a hamster. It all ended here. Right here, right now! The famous Ladybug, alone and bleeding to death, slumped against a cupboard, how anticlimactic! Worst is, no one would ever know.

"Princess?" And now she was dreaming of Chat.

She felt someone grab her harshly and pulled her into their arms. She looked to the side. He was there. Her soulmate had come to save her, but then he let go. She'd lost his warmth.

"Don't leave me! Please!" She cried out.

The warmth returned as he started to mess around with her leg. Pain shot through her caused by the movement of something tight on her leg.

"I'm not leaving you Mari, but you've got to promise me you'll stay awake."

"I'll try but I'm cold, Chat! I'm so cold!" Marinette said, leaning towards him. He edged closer allowing her head to rest against his shoulder.

"It'll be ok, I promise Marinette." She could hear the slight worry in his voice, he was trying to stay calm for her, she could tell but unfortunately it wasn't working.

"Talk to me," he asked her, "Tell me about your favourite day."

She could tell he was trying to keep her awake. He was being the sweet partner and friend he always was, if only she could tell him now. Admit to him that he was her soulmate. But she'd passed through the door. She was on the way to either heaven or hell, and she was sure this was a hallucination caused by her loss of blood. Perhaps this was her second chance? Chance to tell him how she felt before she died.

"It was when I went to New York from college," she begins, "We went to the roof and met up with some friends." She was trying so hard to keep talking, to have these last couple of moments with him before she passed on. She wondered if he would miss her, if he felt anything for Marinette as well as Ladybug.

"We had so much fun," she continued. "There were other superheroes there, and we ate these special hot dogs. I shared one with him and we both ended up flying. I danced with him in the moonlight and I fell in love all over again. Then you left me. I've never been so scared you stupid cat, I can't do this superhero thing without you." She closed her eyes, it felt so much better with them closed, having them open hurt.

She heard him gasp. Was her leg worse than she thought? It was just glass from her fall wasn't it? She suddenly remembered the noises. Three clear gunshots.

"It's not glass in my leg is it?"

"I don't think it is, I think it might be a bullet," She whimpered at his words and he reached over taking her hand in his, comforting her in a way to not provoke her injury. He kissed the back of her hand, her eyes were still closed but the gesture meant everything to her.

"Mari, Princess, I promise nothing is going to happen to you, I won't let it!" Tears were escaping through her closed eyes, a small smile in response to her nickname.

"You're always saving me, my Kitty." She whispered through her tears.

"Somebody has to, M'Lady." He knew. She was so glad someone knew Ladybug was here, dying from blood loss. She prayed her successor would be worthy of him. He meant everything to her.

"If I told you I loved you right now would you hold it against me?" Her voice was fading as she spoke. "I have lost a lot of blood."

Her lips were graced with something soft and sweet, something she wanted to fight for. He'd kissed her. She could feel he loved her too.

"Never."

Marinette had collapsed. As her eyes closed her head began to slide down his costume covered shoulder towards his lap. Her face was beginning to take on a grey tint and his heart sped up to the point of near cardiac arrest.

"No, Mari. Princess?" He looked around as if the dark, box crowded room held the answer to the question he didn't even know he was asking.

He couldn't hang around anymore, she needed help. A symphony of sirens echoed around the room meaning the police were here. It meant that ambulances were here too, and he was in desperate need to get her out, she needed help and fast. The question was who was he going to save her as?

Taking her outside whilst still kitted in his Chat Noir costume would only bring unwanted attention. They'd want to know who Marinette was, putting her in danger with Hawk Moth. They'd want to know why the famous, near enough invincible Chat Noir hadn't gone to help the police capture the criminal. Too many options and no time to consider them. He couldn't exactly tell them he didn't know if his superhero armour would protect him, or the fact he didn't want to leave his soulmate. It wouldn't look good for either of them.

"Tikki?" He whispered. He prayed that the little red kwami was still in the vicinity. Marinette always had her little pink cross body bag with her, that must be there her kwami hid.

"Tikki? Are you here?"

"Chat?" He heard the frail voice. She didn't sound any better than Marinette had.

"Plagg, claws in." As the transformation dropped both kwami and owner let out a yelp. Each groaning at the pains they felt flowing freely through their unprotected bodies.

"Plagg? You ok?"

"It's Tikki," he replied, "she's affected by pigtails." There were no quips, no scolding. Plagg was not in a good place, he didn't feel too rosey either. He felt drained, and a dull aching headache type pain in his thigh. Adrien must have had a fraction of the pain Marinette was feeling. He needed to make a decision and make it quick.

Scooping both kwami's up, he placed them in his pocket before laying Marinette's head gently on a pile of coats, cushioning her from the hard, cold floor. Standing up he made his way to the door, listening out for any indication the shooter was still out there. The silence was deafening; only the sound of fear pulsing through his ears.

Making his way back to Marinette he could fully see the amount of blood pooling around her leg. He knew he wasn't any doctor, but he was quite sure the bullet hit something major in her thigh. Suddenly, pain shot through him and he dropped down next to her on the floor.

"I'm here, Princess, I'm going to get you out. Just bare with me." Placing another kiss to her lips, he removed her earrings, placing them alongside Tikki and Plagg.

Taking a deep breath, he scooped Marinette's limp, unconscious body into his arms and stood to his full height, mentally talking to himself. He can do this, he can make up for his stupidity, he can let her know how much he adores her. The pain in his leg almost had him buckling as he walked towards the door situated at the back of the small room. It looked like a delivery entrance, and would hopefully allow them an escape route out to the back of the mall.

Adrien repositioned Marinette in his arms so he could turn the handle on the door, hearing the clicking sound, he turned and used his shoulder to open it. Stepping out into the bright sunshine he was faced with six men, each pointing a gun at him.

"Get on your knees." One shouted out.

"Get down now, hands on your head." A second yelled.

Marinette still in his arms, Adrien didn't know what to do.

"She needs help," he yelled back. "She's been shot." The fear and emotion in his voice betrayed the hero in him. If they hung around here any sooner the outcome could be fatal. Every second was a second between life and death.

Two paramedics rushed in and took her out of his arms, whilst a third held him back. He was sobbing, his emotions uncontrollable thanks to the situation. He wanted to go with her, he needed to go with him.

"On the ground now." The first man shouted again.

Adrien watched as Marinette's limp body was placed on a stretcher, an oxygen mask obstructing the view to her beautiful face. Adrien looked down at his hands, covered in her blood, before collapsing on his knees.

"Hands behind your head."

He followed the instructions, painting his sunshine blonde hair red. Before he could comprehend what was happening next, he was pulled by his elbow to standing, letting out a wail at the pain from the sudden movement. Hands began to pat around his body; he followed the movement with his eyes finding her blood all over his body. His lady, his soulmate.

"What do you think you're doing?" He recognised that voice, looking up to see André Bourgeois. "That's Adrien Agreste, let him go."

As soon as he was released by the officer, he bolted in the direction of Marinette. Reaching the road he looked up and down before locating her being loaded into an ambulance. Alya nearby.

"Adrien," She screamed, "you found her. Thank you." She launched herself onto him, only to be pushed back. At the moment he only cared about Marinette; he needed to be in the ambulance with her.

Grabbing the earrings and Tikki from his pocket, he discreetly pushed them into their friend's hand. In instant recognition, Alya gasped. He gave her a quick nod, as she stepped aside allowing Adrien into the ambulance.

"Adrien, where do you think you're going?" Kagami had run over, grabbing his hand to pull him back.

"I'm sorry Kagami, but I need to go with Marinette."

She pulled him, making him stumble backwards, Nino and Luka had now joined them and the paramedics were ready to go. He needed to get her off him. He looked to Alya who was still staring at her hand in shock, Nino supporting her with one arm around her shoulders. Luka was the only option left.

"Kagami, you need to let him go." Luka was already trying to loosen the grip she had on Adrien's arm.

"No, he's mine," she cried.

"No, he's not." Alya bit back, suddenly coming back to life.

"Adrien!" Kagami demanded again.

"We need to go," a paramedic had begun to shut the doors.

Luka quickly stepped between Adrien and Kagami, turning his attention to the paramedic.

"He's going with you," he pushed Adrien up towards the remaining open door.

"We can only take family." The paramedic answered, turning her back on them.

"He's her soulmate."

The paramedic nodded, allowing Adrien through and indicating for him to sit next to his love. He looked out the door only to be met with shocked expressions from his friends and a sad smile from Luka. However, the only thought on his mind was his soulmate, his Princess, his Marinette, and everyone else could wait.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.9K 823 23
Lila has finally turned her class against Marinette. Marinette barely has any friends left and doesn't think she can forgive her friends. After an ac...
110K 2.5K 26
Adrien had gotten into one of the biggest arguments he had ever had with his father, leading him to run from his home as his alter ego, Chat Noir. Th...
200K 4.8K 27
As Christmas draws closer, Adrien tries to pull his friends back together but he realises it's almost impossible without his little bluenette around...
21.6K 660 21
Distractions have always gotten the best of Marinette. One day a distraction leads to her plummeting to her death off of a building, but luckily a ce...