Of Story Books and Fairy Tale...

By WonderKerbs

"Yet, they forget that without the darkness the light cannot shine. And without the light, the darkness has n... More

Of Story Books and Fairy Tales
Note
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX

IX

35 1 0
By WonderKerbs

{This song just makes me think of Olivia running through the woods. Elder Scrolls Soundtracks just take me to another realm.}

Olivia had been asleep for the rest of the night and slept through the next two days. The Pevensies were worried if she'd wake up any time soon. Peter stayed in his observatory with Witherglow the dwarf, tearing into every scroll and book about what could have happened. Susan continued running the kingdom, taking Peter's place in most matters, with Tumnus continuing his job as the advisor. Though they kept Willow close now and again to have any updates on Olivia's condition. Lucy tried to continue her days looking after Princess Morana and Lord Sasha, as the siblings didn't want to have them disregarded as guests. Although, she would often find a moment to visit the sleeping girl, in hopes that she'd awaken.

Edmund had refused to leave her side every time he visited, but Willow and the nurse Rosemary, a red dwarf, would always send him away to fulfil his duty as King of the Just and training any new knights. That never stopped him from visiting as often as possible, however. Thurma was also there to check in when he couldn't be there.

"Ed?" Peter opened the door to Olivia's chambers. The younger king sat in a chair at her bedside. He looked tired, sad. His siblings could tell how much he and the unconscious girl had grown close over the almost two months. His eyes didn't stray from her when Peter walked in, not until his older brother had placed a hand on his shoulder. 

"Ed, I need you to head to the Western Wood with the rescue party." 

Edmund's first thought was to protest instantly, but then he remembered his duties as a king. He had organised the rescue party, gathering some of his best soldiers to look for any survivors of Telmar. They were already a day behind, he was supposed to leave the morning after the party but after what had happened in the gardens that night he was set back. 

"I know," Edmund muttered, looking up at his brother. "It's my duty." 

"We'll look after her. Don't worry." Peter smiled softly. The two were never emotionally close, they had their sisters to be vulnerable to. Peter knew how closed off Edmund could be. The only sibling he knew Edmund had a soft spot for was Lucy and he didn't blame him. All the Pevensies had a special bond with their youngest sister, she was the one that could bring them all together in the chaos. 

"I'll leave this evening just... let me say goodbye." Edmund pleaded. Peter nodded and soon left. He was alone now. He didn't even know what to say. What could he say? What do you say to someone who can't possibly hear you? Edmund eyed her hand for a moment, before taking it gently in his. 

By Aslan, what was happening to him? Edmund was someone who wasn't interested in finding a queen, in finding anyone at that matter. He didn't want to taint anyone with his shadows. It was bad enough that some subjects still referred to him as the 'Traitor King' or the 'Cold King'. He wasn't like Lucy, who never went a day without smiling or laughing. He wasn't like Susan who showed deep compassion to her subjects, schooling them and playing with the children. He certainly wasn't like Peter. Peter was someone who could walk into a room and everyone would see him. Peter was someone who could make a great first impression without lifting a pinky. And then there was Edmund, the 'Cold King', the 'Traitor King'. Edmund was someone who could kill an enemy without a flinch. He was Edmund the Just. He knew of the consequences. He knew of mercy. He knew the balance and what it took to keep it.

Edmund leaned over and his lips brushed against Olivia's temple. "I'll be back soon."

When the door opened again, it was Willow, Rosemary and Thurma that entered. A little mouse rested on Rosemary's shoulders, this was Seven. He, like Rosemary, had been helping look after Olivia in her current state as well as guarding her in case Elias were to return.

"Your highness?" Rosemary spoke up quietly. Edmund stood and turned to them.

"Thurma, we leave before sun-down. I suggest you get ready and notify the others." Thurma bowed her head and wandered out of the room. Edmund then looked to Willow, Rosemary and Seven.

"I need you three to watch over her. Send word to me as soon as she wakes." They bowed and Edmund took one last glance at the girl in the bed. Without another word he left. By the time he had packed everything, said his farewells to his siblings, he was riding out the gates with the centaurs, fauns, satyrs and other Narnians under his command. However, leaving the gates of Cair Paravel, Edmund couldn't stop looking back. 

Pray Aslan is watching over you, Olivia. I'll see you soon.

Olivia rushed through the woods. Brambles scarred her legs and ripped her skirt. Her hair was a mess as strands stuck to her sweaty forehead. Something chased her. No, not something, someone. They laughed at how she ran, how she was a coward. She wasn't ready to face her fears and they knew it. 

She looked back to see if they were close, but all that did was make her trip on a tree root. Olivia crashed to the forest floor with a scream. Her eyes squeezed together tightly as she felt her hands scrape against the stones and hard ground. When she did open her eyes, two grey paws stood in her gaze-line. She looked up and low and behold, it was the giant wolf from her previous dream. Its blue eyes gazed down at her and she felt a shiver when they made eye contact. 

Images flashed in her mind one after another, each taking only a second or so to comprehend. 

Snow falling in the woods.

A lamppost in a forest grove.

Flames burning behind glass.

A man showered in depressing shadows.

A queen with a glass cordial.

A king with a sword of birch leaves.

A ball of light in her palms.

Eyes leaking black veins upon a beautiful pale face.

A hand emerging from the ice.

Olivia's eyes flinched tightly as she lulled her head from side to side. 

"Olivia? Olivia, can you hear me?" A familiar voice asked desperately. When she had slowly opened her eyes, she saw a familiar young freckled face she knew quite well.

"Lucy?" Her voice croaked out. 

Lucy beamed in happiness as she launched her arms around the older girl. "You're awake! You're okay! Thank Aslan! I've missed you so much!"

With a gentle push, Olivia separated herself from the suffocating hug. She couldn't help but smile at the young queen. It felt as if she hadn't seen her in forever. Which brought confusion to the strange girl. Olivia looked around and noticed she was in her room in Cair Paravel. But wasn't she just in the woods? It had all felt so real, so it had to have happened.

"Lucy, what-"

"I'll go get Rosemary and Willow. I'm sure they'll be happy now that you're-"

"No, wait!" Olivia grabbed Lucy's hand. "What happened?" 

"You don't remember?" The young queen raised an eyebrow, her smile leaving her face. 

Peter walked around his observatory on the second floor with his book in hand. There were candles dotted around the tower, lighting the place in a warming glow in the night. Out of all the siblings, Edmund or Susan were usually seen as the smart ones but that never meant the high king had no brains. When motivation to the unknown really urged him, Peter could spend days looking into the past of the kings of old and histories of Narnia. 

Peter's observatory tower was five stories tall, a staircase wrapped from the middle of the first floor and went up the centre of the tower. The other floors were more like platforms that poked out from the stone walls, except the top story. This one appeared more like an attic and it was where Peter had his telescope to study the stars out the giant circular window in the pointed roof.

"Your majesty, perhaps it's about time you take a break from these books and scrolls and take your place back on the throne again" Witherglow insisted from his desk on the first floor. Witherglow was quite an old dwarf. It was evident he had been alive long during the White Witch's reign, maybe even before. His grey beard trailed to the floor with his dark blue robes. Wrinkles defined his old storm coloured eyes that could teach a young soul with wisdom beyond measures.

Peter's head appeared at the railing that looked down to the first floor. "But we could be so close, Wither. I know that what happened that night of the party is the reason Olivia is here now. There was a bright light. It blasted Elias into the statues in the garden, destroying one of them completely."

"Thank Aslan it was the creepy one of the Dufflepud." The dwarf muttered under his breath, but the king had heard him and bit back a smile. 

"Your grace?" A voice called from the door as it creaked open. Peter paused to see Princess Morana timidly walk in. 

"My lady, what brings you in here at this hour?" Witherglow asked as Peter made his way down the stairs to them.

"I was looking for King Peter, good sir," Morana replied kindly, almost sickly kindly. Witherglow could see a shadow in her eye, and it wasn't from the nightly glow of the candles.

"What can I do for you, Princess Morana?" Peter asked. Morana eyed the dwarf for a moment, before sending the king a charming smile.

"If it's no trouble, your highness, I was wondering if I could have a moment alone with you?" 

Peter looked to his friend and Witherglow sighed, closing his scrolls and walking out. "I'll be just outside, my liege."

When the door closed, Peter walked to the desk. "So, what is it you need, my lady?"

"Please, your majesty, call me Morana." The young woman gushed as she followed him. "There's a matter of importance I need to speak to you about. It has to with what happened the other night when Elias infiltrated Cair Paravel and put Miss Olivia in that sleep."

"Yes. However, we have learned that that power didn't come from Elias. It came from Olivia. She has powers, Morana and none of us knew. She herself probably didn't either." There was a spark in Peter's eyes. A flame of hope had been lit as a small smile took over his face. "This could be Olivia's purpose coming to Narnia. This power she may possess could save us from Elias."

"And how well can she use such power?" Morana suddenly asked bitterly. "She's been asleep for nearly three days after one spell. How can we be sure she'll be able to save us?" 

"Morana, I know how this war is affecting you personally and I wish for nothing else than to have you back home on the Telmarine throne with your people. But this could be our chance to make all that happen."

"What about this though?" Morana pulled out a small black book from her under her sleeve. It seemed old and tattered. On the front was a red mark, a symbol Peter didn't understand. "A week before the Black Knight attacked my country I found this in the royal library in Telmar. I've read it at least ten times and I assure you, it could be more of help to us."

Peter eyed the book with suspicion before looking to Morana's grey eyes. 

"A lamppost?" Lucy's head cocked to the side as Olivia finished telling her the vision. Olivia nodded. 

"There was a flame in it. The wind of the cold didn't seem to bother it at all," she explained, her face distant. Then she looked into Lucy's eyes. "I need to find that lamp, Lu."

"You want to go to the Lantern Wastes?" Lucy's eyes went wide. "That's almost a two-day travel on foot, Olivia. You just woke up. I still need to go get Rosemary to check up on you. No one knows you've awakened." 

"Who needs to go get Rosemary?" A small voice asked and the two girls looked to the door.

"Sir Seven!" Lucy exclaimed. The little grey mouse quickly bowed. 

"Oh, pardon your highness. I've come to do my round-" He suddenly stopped seeing Olivia sitting up in the bed well awake. "Oh! Miss Olivia! Y-You're awake! Oh! Aslan! I'll go fetch Rosemary quickly!"

"Sir Seven!" Lucy called, but he had already scurried off.

"Well, pretending to still be asleep and sneaking out doesn't seem like an option anymore," Olivia muttered in annoyance. Lucy smiled, she missed her otherworldly friend.

"Even so, your chances to get to the Lantern Waste have flown by. Edmund left at sunset today with the Telmar rescue party to the Western Wood, where the Lantern Waste is located."

"That's not going to stop me." Olivia had determined eyes. "I need to leave as soon as possible."

"As soon as you have your strength back and as soon as Peter and Susan speak to you." Lucy had a motherly tone in her voice that made Olivia smile a little. 

"Deal."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

259K 9.2K 98
two worlds collided & they could never tear us apart. βͺ narnia lww ⎯⎯⎯ post-vodt ❫ Β© π™΅π™Έπš…π™΄π™·πš‡πšπ™Άπšπ™΄π™΄πš…π™΄πš‚...
8.1K 371 58
[FANFICTION / ONGOING] When the once peaceful city of London is overtaken by the dangers of the Second World War, a naΓ―ve, young Rose must fi...
1.3K 23 26
Peter- Alex. Can't have the Noble Seer freezing to death. Stop it with that nonsense. Can't have my favorite neighbor freezing to death either. I'm y...
705 19 14
Life in Narnia has seemed hopeless to all inhabitants of Narnia. One day, a young girl enters through a wardrobe, unknowingly changing the magical l...