IV

In the course of two or three hours, Olivia had concluded that she and Lucy were going to be good friends

In the course of two or three hours, Olivia had concluded that she and Lucy were going to be good friends. Lucy told her of nearly every event that had occurred up to that very day they walked through the gardens of Cair Paravel. Olivia was quite surprised by the talking animals and mythical creatures of Narnia, but she slowly calmed her nerves and turned whatever fear of the unknown into curiosity.

"Where is the wardrobe now?" Olivia asked as they came to a stone bench. 

"Probably still in the Lantern Waste. Though, it's been a while since I've been there." Lucy explained. "Besides, Aslan explained that our time to go home is not for a while. There's still so much to do here in Narnia."

"Like deal with this war," Olivia said as they sat down. The young queen nodded. 

"Elias's forces grow stronger each day. There have been rumours of rebellion across the seas and villages further north and west." 

Even though Lucy said it with a calm voice, Olivia could tell the young girl held some fear in her eyes. And she didn't blame her. Lucy was only fifteen (turning sixteen in a month according to the youngest Pevensie), she had every right to be afraid of the going-on in her kingdom. To take her mind away from it, Olivia sent her a gentle smile.

"Tell me more about Cair Paravel," she said. Lucy looked up to her and beamed as her eyes changed to the marvellous building around them. 

"Well, after the Battle of Beruna this whole place was restored and Aslan gifted a certain part of the castle to each of us. Peter was gifted the Northern Tower. It's almost like his personal observatory, where he can watch the stars and study them. Susan was given an orchard near the Southern gates. It's only open to her and the royal family, but she enjoys picking apples and giving them to the people. Believe me when I tell you they are the best apples you can ever taste!"

Olivia chuckled at Lucy's enthusiasm as the young queen continued.

"I was given the Eastern Garden here, where it overlooks the sea and beach. It's my favourite place to be whenever I want to be alone or when I'm with my friends. I always feel closer to Aslan. It's like I can feel his presence in the wind." A content smile rested on Lucy's lips and Olivia could tell that out of all the siblings, the youngest here had a very special connection with the magnificent lion they all spoke so fondly of. 

"What about Edmund?" Olivia asked. 

"He was given the stables that lead out to the Western Fields," she answered then giggled softly. "Edmund always preferred the company of horses than people. Whenever he has a moment of peace, he would go out for a few hours. Once or twice he had disappeared for almost two whole days! We were worried sick! He'd rarely disappear now, only if something had seriously upset him."

"Let's not forget the few times we've found him asleep in the hay at the stables." A voice spoke up. The two girls looked over to see a faun with a polite smile. Around his neck, he wore a red scarf and had bright brown eyes of kindness. In his hand was a tray of tea and buns.