Bring Me Home // Bucky Barnes

By povsandfangirling

When Elizabeth Halsted was rescued from an uncomfortable situation on her way home from work in August 1943... More

Chapter I - Safe with a Stranger
Chapter II - A Night to Remember
Chapter III - Where He Goes
Chapter IV - Far From Home
Chapter V - An Agent's Duty
Chapter VI - Caught in the Blue
Chapter VII - Before We Began
Chapter VIII - Tsunamis and Canyons
Chapter IX - Searching for The Sergeant
Chapter X - Returning
Chapter XI - I Can Live With That
Chapter XII - Whispers In The Night
Chapter XIII - A Playful Exchange
Chapter XIV - The Right Mind
Chapter XV - Dammit Dugan
Chapter XVI - Screams Into The Nothingness
Chapter XVII - His Brother. His Confidant.
Chapter XVIII - The Deepest Pain
Chapter XIX - Someone To Blame
Chapter XX - No Going Back
Chapter XXI - Oblivion Never Came
Chapter XXII - Mission Focus
Chapter XXIII - If She Was His
Chapter XXIV - Fire and Ice
Chapter XXV - Alive and... Deadly?
Chapter XXVI - Bewitchingly Broken
Chapter XXVII - There's A Story
Chapter XXVIII - Remind Me
Chapter XXIX - Without Command
Chapter XXX - Breathtaking. Devastating.
Chapter XXXI - Misty Memories
Chapter XXXII - I Just Feel Pain
Chapter XXXIII - Frequency
Chapter XXXIV - The Same
Chapter XXXV - Forget The Forgotten
Chapter XXXVI - Obliterated
Chapter XXXVII - Waiting For Them
Chapter XXXVIII - It Was Simple
Chapter XXXIX - Soldier On The Stairs
Chapter XL - Reach and Rein
Chapter XLI - Triggers
Chapter XLII - Ache
Chapter XLIII - This Moment
Chapter XLIV - Hers, Completely
Chapter XLV - My Home For So Long
Chapter XLVI - An Entire Lifetime
Chapter XLVII - A Plan
Chapter XLVIII - Not a Need
Chapter XLIX - Wounded
Chapter L - Stains of The Past
Chapter LI - It's Done
Chapter LII - Separated
Chapter LIII - Promise
Chapter LIV - Secret Agreement
Chapter LV - Lay Low
Chapter LVI - Shattered Peace
Chapter LVII - Manipulation
Chapter LVIII - Warmth of Red
Chapter LIX - Held Prisoner
Chapter LX - Head First
Chapter LXI - The Ring
Chapter LXII - Memory Lane
Chapter LXIII - My Lifeline
Chapter LXVI - Set to Become
Chapter LXV - An Agent's Memory
Chapter LXVI - A Fragile Thing
Chapter LXVII - Savouring the Simple
Chapter LXVIII - Essence of The Stones
Chapter LXX - Amara
Chapter LXXI - This One
Chapter LXXII - Weakened
Chapter LXXIII - No Second Thought
Chapter LXXIV - Unplanned
Chapter LXXV - Miss Halsted
Chapter LXXVI - Mrs Barnes
Chapter LXXVII - Would You Want That?
Chapter LXXVIII - Bring Me Home
Epilogue - A Different Momma
More from POVSandFangirling

Chapter LXIX - Brother

3.3K 110 52
By povsandfangirling

"I'm not looking at him like..." Elizabeth's voice trailed off into nothing as she watched Bucky push his way around the team and over to her.

"You're a terrible liar Doll." He placed his hands on her hips and ducked down as she looked to the floor. He would not let her fall into herself on this. "What aren't you telling me Lizzie?"

Elizabeth sighed as she met his steady gaze and her lip trembled as she tried to hold back her fear.

"I'm scared James. I'm scared and I'm tired. I'm tired of never getting peace." As her tears came she buried her face in his chest and he gently stroked her hair, holding her; soothing her. "I just want some peace with you, that's it. That's all I want."

"I know Lizzie," he pressed a soft kiss into her hair, "and we will get that peace, okay? Just one more fight; one more battle. Then it's just us and peace. I promise."

The team split, retreating into Loki's room or making their way to the main compound as Bucky held her. He said nothing else. Nothing he could say would soothe her right now.
He stood with her pressed against him, his arms safe around her and he let her break, knowing she had the strength to put herself together when she was ready.

Elizabeth clung to him, focusing on the feel of his arms wrapped around her; the softness of his skin and the surprising comfort of the cold metal that held her so gently. She focused on the rhythm of his breathing, the steadiness of his heart. She focused on him. He was her reason to fight. Every fight that came her way; every threat that snuck up on them; every single person or creature or god or nightmare paled in comparison to her desire for her happy ending.

She wanted the picket fence and the family dinners. She wanted the big yard with space for Dugan to play and the tiny nursery with their child sleeping peacefully. She wanted it all and she was terrified she would lose it before she ever got to have it.

"Hey Princess," Sam stood awkwardly in the door of Loki's room, his hands in his pockets and a sympathetic smile on his lips. "Spiderkid is getting a little antsy because he wanted to steal your cyborg for a few rounds. Wanna grab that puppy of yours and go for a walk?"

Bucky pulled from Lizzie's arms, cupping her face in his hands and kissing her softly.

"What do you want to do Doll?"

Elizabeth smiled sadly as she reached up to touch his face. She brushed her fingers over his cheek, the scratch of his stubble under her skin soothed her.

"It's okay Bucky." She pulled him to her, leaving a chaste kiss against his lips. "Go train with the kid. Sam? Just give me half an hour to get Dugan and pull myself together, okay?"

Bucky nodded silently, watching as she walked down the corridor and away from the storm that had fallen upon her in the small medical suite that was her home from home.

Sam sighed as Bucky ran his hands over his face and tried to shake off the anxiety building in his chest.

"Don't worry man." His voice was soft as he offered him a comforting smile. "I called Sharon. She's gonna join us, maybe get her to talk a bit."

Bucky's shoulders slumped as he leant against the wall and glanced to his unlikely friend.

"Thank you," he murmured. "Just keep her close, okay? We have no idea where this Thanos guy is." Tears sprang in his eyes and he cleared his throat, lifting his gaze to the ceiling. "Keep her safe."

"Always Buck," Sam nodded.

*

There was a warmth that clung to the air like pollen clings to the bees; unknowingly, unaware, unencumbered. The soft sigh of the branches that rustled above, with buds of leaves and blossoms that promised new life and fresh starts danced in the gentle breeze that caressed the earth around her. Her eyes were closed as she felt the buzz and hum of connectivity, as she let the rhythmic beat of the earths core deep into her self, as she found a way to block out the panic.

Sam sat quietly, his eyes trained on Elizabeth as blue tendrils dove beneath the soil and her fingers twitched against her chest, and his mind wandered to their first meeting.

*

"No." Elizabeth laughed as Steve rolled over the back of the couch and onto the cushions beside her, his head landing neatly on her lap as she groaned.

"Please Lizzie." He fluttered the beautifully long eyelashes she envied so desperately and pouted slightly as she shook her head and tried to push him away from her. "Just one."

"Absolutely not Steve." Her protests were giggled and light hearted, but she raised her eyebrows as he spoke again, challenging him to continue.

"Look, it's one night." He smiled playfully as she ran her fingers through his hair, giving in to the pull of their friendship far too easily. "I kind of promised him I'd set him up with an Avenger."

"Well then," she rolled her eyes, "I definitely can't now. I'm not an Avenger."

"You might as well be Lizzie," Steve countered. "You're the doc. You're part of the team."

"I," she laughed as she pushed him once again and he rolled from her lap to the floor, "am a medical resident Steven. I do not have time to go on dates with strange men you meet when you go running in the morning, just to get you out of a jam."

"Wow." The deep laugh from the door alarmed Elizabeth and her hands flew up in fists as she got up and span towards the sound. "Woah, woah. Easy there Princess. I come in peace."

The man's hands were up in a protective position and he backed away a little, staring at the tiny woman so quick to fight. His eyes ran over her quickly and he smirked in appreciation.

"Lizzie, this is Sam." Steve grinned from his place on the floor. "He's the strange man I met on my run."

Lizzie looked over to the man before her and her fists slowly lowered. Sam was tall and muscular. His shoulders were broad and his smile was kind. There was a softness in the depths of his chocolate eyes that seemed to hide behind a wall of bravado and his skin was the most beautiful deep brown. There was no denying he was gorgeous.

He seemed to ooze confidence and self respect as he stood tall, smiling over at her, and his hand shot out for her to take.

"Nice to meet you Ma'am." When he smiled his eyes seemed to dance. "Sam Wilson. I believe we have a date?"

Elizabeth smiled as she shook his hand, amused by his forwardness and his persistence considering she had, not five minutes ago, slammed the door to romance shut before she even knew he was in the doorway.

"Nice to meet you Sam. I'm Lizzie." She looked over at Steve and shook her head. "I'm afraid your friend here was mistaken tonight. There will be no date."

She turned on her heel and strutted from the room, her head held high and her shoulders back as Steve groaned and Sam stared.

"Damn." Sam laughed. "I think I'm in love man."

Steve's cackle echoed through the compound as Sam dropped to the couch and stared at the ceiling.

"Is she always that sassy?" He looked to where the super soldier sat on the floor, leaning against the small armchair behind him.

"Pretty much."

*

Elizabeth was grateful for Sharon. She was grateful for her friendship, her advice, her kindness. She was grateful that a piece of Peggy resided in Sharon and ran to Lizzie's side when she needed her most.

"You know it's what Aunt Peggy would have done Lizzie." She squeezed Elizabeth tight as she embraced her, reminding her to focus on the here and now. "Home soil gives you an advantage. Don't go looking for trouble before it's due."

Lowering herself back to her spot against the wide oak tree she had been resting against Lizzie sighed and reached out to Dugan, chewing a tennis ball beside her. Her fingers ran through his thick fur rhythmically and she focused her mind on the thick chunkiness of the puppy that curled up closer as she scratched the spot behind his ear.

She watched as Sam walked a short distance with Sharon, his hands in his pockets, kicking the dirt beneath his feet as they came to a stop just at the edge of the path. He laughed at something she said and she tucked her hair behind her ears as a soft blush washed over her features. Sam took a step closer, his charm and charisma faltering as boyish nerves seemed to take their place and Sharon looked around them as she spoke, no doubt making some comment about how nice the day was for a walk as the two of them stumbled over their daylight flirtation.

Pulling out her phone Elizabeth smiled softly and decided she needed to snap out of the darkness.

As if somehow their minds worked as one, Bucky's name flashed across her screen and Lizzie felt calm.

Hey Doll... are you okay? x

Lizzie felt the pang of guilt as she read his message. She had worried him when all she wanted to do was make him happy; to keep him safe. Her fingers moved quickly as she typed out her reply.

Hi. Everything's fine. I'm sorry about earlier. I love you so much. X

She watched as the little dots popped up and waited for his response, knowing he would be too forgiving of her.

Don't apologise Elizabeth. It is a lot to process. Where are you guys? I could come to you? x

Her chest ached to be with him. She glanced to her friends as Dugan began to snore softly beside her and decided not to intrude on their moment any further than she already was.

We're just in the park. Sam and Sharon have really hit it off! We won't be long, don't worry. I'll see you at home x

When Bucky's reply came through she felt the familiar swell of adoration and love she had felt the moment he took her dancing.

Okay. I love you Elizabeth. My soon to be wife. x

Elizabeth smiled as she watched Sharon lean in and place a soft kiss on Sam's cheek.

I love you more James... how's the kid? x

She laughed loudly at his reply.

Talkative. He fights well but chats. A lot... I like him. He's been doing this for the last ten minutes...

As the image came through Elizabeth felt her heart sputter and stumble. Bucky was sitting with his left arm exposed as he rolled his T-shirt sleeve up. Across the silver metal were countless magnets pulled from the refrigerator door and now stuck to Bucky. Her heart was full as she thought of how much Bucky would have struggled with Peter's admiration and how much he would have panicked as Peter placed the first magnet on his arm. She was brimming with love as she realised he had let the kid play with his arm to make him happy.

She quickly saved the photo and set it as her lock screen before sending a quick reply.

Tell the kid he's a genius. I love this. I love you. I'll be home soon xxx

Sam dropped down beside Elizabeth with a wide grin as he scooped a sleeping Dugan into his arms and watched Sharon walking away.

"Ready to get back Princess?"

Elizabeth rolled her eyes as she got to her feet and watched Sam get up too.

"Was Sharon invited for my benefit or yours?"

Sam paused thoughtfully before laughing freely.

"Both?"

*

"So, let me get this straight." Peter paused as he lay on the floor with his feet on the coffee table. "You 'died', got the metal arm, forgot the girl, killed some people, went through the brainwash, saved your friend, remembered the girl, nearly killed the girl and then asked the girl to marry you?"

Bucky groaned as he picked the last magnet from his arm. Letting his head roll back as Steve laughed and Thor just watched with interest.

"Yes kid. Jesus." He turned to Thor with a grimace. "Is this what it's like to have a kid brother?"

"Definitely not." Thor was serious as he sat straight and glanced at the door. "There was one time when we were children, Loki transformed himself into a snake, and he knows that I love snakes. So, I went to pick up the snake to admire it and he transformed back into himself and he was like, "Yeah, it's me!" and then he stabbed me. We were eight at the time."

Bucky, Peter and Steve exchanged awkward glances as they sat in silence for a moment before laughter ripped through them all and Thor shook his head. He knew why they thought it was amusing, but he really was disappointed when he had discovered it was not in fact a snake.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 32.3K 88
A/N: first few chapters are a bit 'cringy' with spelling errors (I write this on my phone) but if you can get past those two things, I PROMISE the st...
1.5M 38.7K 30
❝Warrior child, you carry such coldness in your veins. War-torn child, you carry such loneliness in your bones. War-born child, you carry such horror...
361K 5.5K 64
This book is a continuation of the previous one.. literally starting right where the other one left off!! Self-insert 🥰 You are a former Black Widow...
The Promise By me

Fanfiction

2K 60 18
Bucky Barnes X Y/N (Fem) Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers, and yourself are a close group of best friends. You guys have been through everything. Life is p...