Perfect Harmony | In The Heig...

By Magic_of_the_Book

The truth is finally breaking through Two worlds collide when I'm with you Our voices rise and soar so high W... More

cast
epigraph
act i
001
002
004
005
006
act ii
007
008
009
010

003

1.1K 22 15
By Magic_of_the_Book

"I bet you impressed them all out west;
You were always the best, no doubt!"

______________________

Katherine and her aunts entered the apartment, all tired from the hard day. "Kat, you got a message!", said Daniela to her niece. The girl pressed the button to hear a familiar voice. "Хей, миличка, това е старият татко. Просто исках да знаеш, че не си сама. Дръж усмивката на лицето си, всичко ще бъде наред. Обичам те.", it was a voice message from her dad in Bulgarian. (Hey sweetie, this is ol' Dad
Just wanted you to know, you ain't alone
Keep a smile on your face, everything's gonna be fine
I love you)

"Who was it?", asked Carla as she let herself down on the couch. "Dad.", answered Katherine and let herself down besides her aunt. Carla hugged the younger girl, pulling her close to herself, kissing her head lightly while running her fingers through her brown hair. "He's saying that everything is going to be fine and that I should keep smiling. But it's hard you know." "We know mija.", said Daniela understanding and sat on the other side of Katherine. The girl gave her a light smile before bursting out in tears again. Daniela only looked up in shock at her girlfriend. Did she say something wrong? "What's wrong mi amor?", asked Carla worried. She has always been the one that worried too much. "I just want my dad by my side!", said Katherine and tried to wipe the tears away but they just kept falling. "You will see him soon princesa. I can't promise anything but you will see him." "How are you so sure?", asked Kat and looked at her aunt with big eyes. "I just have a feeling.", lied Daniela slightly. Both knew about Emanuel's plans for his daughter's future but they were not ready to tell her yet. Or ever actually.

Kat only nodded again and hugged her other aunt, allowing her to do the same. "I love you both so so much!", she whispered. "We love you too princesa.", whispered Daniela back. Carla then switched on the tv and cuddled into her girlfriend. Kat sat on the other side of Daniela and watched the two lovers. She wished Sonny would look at her the way Daniela looked at Carla. Full in love.

[Music starts]

(KATHERINE)

I wonder if I'm being real
Do I speak my truth or do I filter how I feel?

She stood up and walked over to the window, looking outside and smiling to herself.

(KATHERINE)

I wonder wouldn't it be nice
To live inside a world that isn't black and white?

Kat then picked up a picture with Silva, Toni, Vanessa, Nina and herself on it from 4 years ago. She went over the frame while reading her friends' emotions somehow.

(KATHERINE)

I wonder, what it's like to be my friends
Hope that they don't think I forget about them
I wonder, I wonder

She put the picture back and went over to one with Sonny on it. She closed her eyes, imagining her biggest dream. Besides getting out of the Barrio.

(KATHERINE)

Right before I close my eyes
The only thing that's on my mind
Been dreaming that you feel it, too
I wonder what it's like to be loved by you, yeah

Suddenly she sees herself in a small argument with Sonny that happened 2 years earlier. They were fighting about school and how much sleep Katherine got because of her studies.

(KATHERINE)

I wonder why I'm so afraid?
Of saying something wrong, I never said I was a saint

The memory faints and now it shows a 13 year old Katherine alone in her room. And she was crying. She actually did it every night and the only person that knew that: Sonny De La Vega.

(KATHERINE)

I wonder, when I cry into my hands
I'm conditioned to feel like it makes me less of a woman

Katherine then caresses Sonny's cheek and looked into his chocolate brown eyes that were like hers. Brown meets brown and she remembers all of the times that he was by her side.

(KATHERINE)

And I wonder if some day you'll be by my side
And tell me that the world will end up alright
I wonder, I wonder

The memory faints and now she was outside of her apartment, right in the center of the streets in Washington Heights. Then she looked down at her body and saw that she was wearing a light purple dress that Vanessa made for her. It was raining so she decided to dance and suddenly someone joined. She looked into the familiar brown eyes and accepted the invitation.

(KATHERINE)

Right before I close my eyes
The only thing that's on my mind
Been dreaming that you feel it, too

Katherine danced with Sonny like there was nothing else in the world. Like it was just the two of them.

(SONNY)

I wonder what it's like to be loved by you, yeah

(KATHERINE)

I wonder what it's like to be loved by you, yeah

The music began to faint just like the image of Sonny. Katherine hurried and kissed his cheek lightly.

(BOTH)

Right before I close my eyes
The only thing that's on my mind
Been dreaming that you feel it too

(KATHERINE SINGS QUITE)

I wonder what it's like to be loved by you

[Music ends]

Katherine then woke up, seeing that Carla was shaking her. "What's going on?", she groaned. "We got work to do mi corazón!" "But it's night!", complained Kat and went back to bed. "No it's not. It's already 8am. You fall asleep on the couch last night so I carried you into your room.", explained Carla and threw some clothes over to her sleepy niece. "I don't remember anything but my dream was just amazing.", said Katherine and looked outside her window. "Eso es bueno cariño. But please hurry up!", mentioned Daniela now, standing in the door frame of her niece's room. "¡Bien, tengo prisa!", said Katherine and put on her shorts.

Her dream last night was truly amazing and she wished that it lasted more than a few hours. But maybe it will soon. Who knows?

●●●

2 days till Blackout (88°)

Katherine was at her aunt's salon, finally working again without any obstacles. The girl still couldn't believe that in one week they would be moving away. All four together. It was busy like any other day and Kat enjoyed it to listen to the gossip. She texted Sonny a few hours ago about how hot it was and he said that he was going to come by and give her something to cool down. "I'm too old and the Bronx is too far.", complained a client about the moving. "Que voy a hacer? I was priced out. Most of my clients already up and moved to the Grand Concourse. Hey built in costumers.", said Daniela. "My lunch break isn't long enough for that trip Dani." "Jessica...One: swipe the fare card. Two: ride three stops. Three: arrive at our new location. Ten minutes max.", explained Kat and laughed together with the salon ladies.

"Ten minutes? Cariño. What are you riding, a time machine?", said another client, offending Katherine. "Excuse me?", asked Carla and put a hand on her niece's shoulder. "Our people survived slave ships. We survived Tiano genocide. We survived conquistadors and dictators.", said Daniela, making everyone to cheer. She then pulled away the glasses from the client. "You're telling me we can't survive the D Train to the Grand Concourse? Have you seen my baby niece?" "Yeah, have you seen me?", asked Katherine and flipped her hair backwards. Everyone then began to cheer. Katherine then felt her phone buzzing. I'm outside the salon.

Kat went out, making everyone to look outside the window only to see Sonny De La Vega with ice cream in hand. "I brought you something. You know, for the hotness inside.", he said and handed one to Kat. The girl took it and smiled at him. "You're the best! I have to go back inside but I'll see you later. I promise.", she said and kissed his cheek. The boy blushed and ran away, a big smile spreading across his face. "Ay, our little Kat got herself a boyfriend!", cheered Cuca as Katherine went back inside. "¡Cállate tía!", said the younger girl sassy and laughed. (Shut up auntie!)

"Hello, hello...", said Nina Rosario as she entered the salon, making everyone to cheer even more. "For you, mamita, front of the line! Oye!", shouted Daniela happy and hugged Nina. "Emergency coming through!", shouted Katherine and opened up her ice cream. The salon ladies then let Nina have a seat in front of the mirror.

[Music starts]

(DANIELA)

Gorgeous!

(CARLA)

Linda!

(THE SALON LADIES AND KATHERINE)

Tell me something I don't know!

(CARLA)

Vieja!

(DANIELA)

Sucia!

(CUCA)

Cabrona!

(THE SALON LADIES)

Tell me something I don't know!

Nina then stood up and walked over to the sink together with the salon ladies and Katherine to wash her hair.

(KATHERINE)

A little off the top!

(DANIELA)

A little off the side!

(NINA)

A little bit of news you've heard around the barrio!

(ALL)

Tell me something I don't know!

Katherine sat down on a chair next to Nina and licked her ice cream. She was also interested if there were news she didn't knew about.

(DANIELA)

Bueno
You didn't hear this from me!
But some little birdie told me
Usnavi had sex with Yolanda!

(ALL)

No me diga!

(VANESSA)

Ay, no! He'd never go out with a skank like that!
Please, tell me you're joking!

Katherine only smirked at the jealous tone in Vanessa's voice and continued to lick her ice cream.

(DANIELA)

Okay!
Just wanted to see what you'd say!

Daniela then grabbed the spray bottle from Vanessa's hands and spritzed some water making Katherine to giggle. Dani then spritzed Kat too leaving her in shock. "Dani!", she shouted and glared playfully.

(THE SALON LADIES)

Tell me something I don't know!
Mmm-hmm-mmm...

(VANESSA)

What? I don't care!

Katherine only raised her eyebrows, giving her friend a playfully smile. "Keep talking to yourself!" "Shut up!", said Vanessa and tried to ruffle Katherine's hair but she got away and laughed.

(ALL)

Ay, bendito!

(DANIELA)

So, Nina, I hear you been talking to Benny

(NINA)

And what do you hear?

(DANIELA)

I hear plenty!
They say he's got quite a big... taxi

(ALL)

No me diga!

(NINA)

Okay! I don't wanna know where you heard all that!

Daniela shared a look with Katherine before both bursted out in giggles.

(CARLA)

I don't think I know what you mean...

(KATHERINE)

Carla! He's packing a stretch limousine!

(VANESSA, CUCA, KATHERINE AND DANIELA)

Tell me something I don't know!

(CARLA)

Long as he keeps it clean!

(VANESSA, CUCA, KATHERINE, NINA AND DANIELA)

Ay dios mio!

Nina's hair was done together with her eyebrows and now it was finally time to blow dry. Katherine has finished her ice cream and threw everything in the trashcan.

(DANIELA)

Nina, seriously, we knew you'd be the one to make it out!

Kat then looked at her aunt shocked. Dani only laughed and smiled at her.

(VANESSA)

I bet you impressed them all out west;

(KATHERINE)

You were always the best, no doubt!

(CARLA)

We want front row seats to your graduation-

(DANIELA)

They'll call your name-

(VANESSA, CUCA, KATHERINE, CARLA AND DANIELA)

And we'll scream and shout!

They all cheered and couldn't stop until Nina decided to cut them off. "Guys, I dropped out.​" "No me diga?!", they all said together and looked shocked. "I should go.", Nina then left, not looking behind. "Well, that's a shitty piece of news.​", said Daniela slightly angry. "She probably flunked out.", said a client. "Or she got a little bun in the oven, you know?", said Cuca making Daniela to look at her. "What the hell happened?", asked Katherine unbelievably.

(DANIELA)

I don't know...

Everyone then went back to work.

(DANIELA AND CARLA)

I don't know...

(THE SALON LADIES)

Tell me something I don't know!

(ALL)

Qué sé yo?

[Music ends]

Vanessa then got off her jacket and got her backpack. "Dani, I'm taking lunch.", she said and walked out. "Go get me a soda, please.", yelled Daniela over. "Yeah.", answered the girl and left. "Where's she sneaking off to? That was real quick.", asked Cuca and looked at Katherine. She only shrugged her shoulders and turned her attention to Carla. Katherine knew exactly where Vanessa was going but of course she wouldn't tell a soul. It was something just between the two and no one else.

______________________________

Hello and welcome to another chapter! The song that Kat and Sonny sung was "Wonder" by Shawn Mendes!

1. This was Katherine's outfit

2. This was her dress

DEDICATIONS

LilyMoonlight14
hehe__hehe
grisha24601
CornLikesThings
ireneerecioo
MsMarcAnthonyQueen
-floralflowerss
ehy_why
hatsrose

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.2K 1.9K 38
Title says it all. Enjoy!
35.1K 570 9
credits to spending-words on tumblr :) - must be following me 'cause of privacy thing on wattpad was on when I published :( sorry for any inconvenien...
236K 3.3K 44
439K 10.6K 23
"You're Ours" They say I'm Theirs