The Duchess out of Time

By LoveYourTalent

Elizabeth, also known as Liz finds herself back in the year 1760 after falling overboard in a storm. As she s... More

Copyright
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV

XXIX

32 3 0
By LoveYourTalent

Arriving exactly on the hour Hawkins reappeared. He did nothing to hide his disappointment when he saw the young woman was all dressed and waiting. Liz had pulled her hair out from her braid and deliberately placed it over both shoulders to provide her with a bit of modesty. Slowly Hawkins opened the cell as Liz could hear her heart pounding in her ears. She knew that she still had stuck within her boot the dagger that the Captain had given to her for protection. She didn't want to show the blade tonight unless it was absolutely necessary. She would rather keep hold of her only weapon for as long as she could.

Hawkins didn't say a word towards Liz as she walked behind him silently as he lead her towards the Captain's quarters. Liz hid her shaking hands by holding onto the fabric of the dress. The men had reluctantly told her what kind of man Jennings was while they had been waiting for Hawkins to return. She wanted to know what she was walking into with eyes wide open. She was walking into the lion's den and she wanted to mentally prepare. Stopping in front of the door Hawkin's knocked four times before he turned and left.

Letting out a slow breath and pushing her shoulders back, Liz refused to let Jennings smell the fear that she felt deep down. Hearing an annoyed enter, Liz ducked her head as she entered the private room. Hawkin's locked it shut behind her; she wasn't going to be able to leave in a hurry that was clear.

There was a long large table in the centre of the room covered in food. There were different kinds of meats, cooked and cold, Liz could swear she saw venison, roasted pork, ham and turkey. There was a large board of cheese, golden potatoes, a variety of different fruits (blackberries, grapes, apples and oranges. Everything of different colours) in separate bowls, fresh bread, sweets, a large tall cake and golden crockery shimmering in the candlelight. The smell was divine. Liz's mouth was threatening to overflow with saliva. She was starving and the display of food before her was a feast befit for a king.

In the corner of her eye she could see a large black-framed bed, it's sheets all crushed and wrinkled from the Captain never making his bed. Snapping her eyes forward she refused to let Jennings's see her assess his room, just in case he got the wrong idea when she peaked at his bed. There were candles everywhere giving the room a soft glow. If Liz didn't know any better she would have thought the Captain was trying to be romantic. Fat chance, she snorted.

Stepping out from the shadows Captain Jennings was lavishly overdressed in clothes that were obviously not his. His purple and golden coloured vest clashed with the green overcoat he wore. Adjourned on his hands were several rings that clacked together when he moved his hands. He wore a powdered wig that was discoloured and in desperate need of a brush.

"Your majesty." He gave a lavish exaggerated bow towards Liz as she instinctively raised an eyebrow. The man before her made her skin crawl and her stomach summersault in unease. You know your gut reaction when you know you need to get away from a person or situation. Her body was screaming for her to flee but she knew she couldn't. She was stuck here in this room and there was nothing she could do about it.

"Captain." She answered, dropping into a small curtsey out of respect. Play the game, she kept chanting in her head. That was the only way this evening was going to be pleasant. Jennings pulled out a chair as Liz slowly stepped towards the table and sat down in the seat. He kindly pushed it in for her before his rough callous fingers brushed 'accidentally' across her shoulders. Stiffening from his touch, Jennings didn't notice her physically recoil from his touch, as he took his own seat to her right.

"Rum?" He offered her with a sweet grin as he held up a bottle, uncorking it with his teeth.

"I don't drink." The words were stiff coming from her lips as he took a swig straight from the bottle.

"Of course not your ladyship." He apologised as he frowned remembering the company that was before him. Using his fingers Jennings' loaded his plate with food before he began to stuff his mouth. Juices of meat and gravy ran down his chin, as he did nothing to wipe it away. Liz wasn't sure if the Captain knew how to use a knife and fork, if he did he wasn't bothered to touch the utensils as he licked his fingers before reaching for another piece of food and shoving it in his mouth.

"Please eat."' He encouraged towards Liz with his mouth half full. Crumbs of bread flew across the table as he spoke as Liz bit down on the inside of her cheek in disgust. When she realised he had paused his own movements to watch her, Liz was graceful and slow as she used her fork to pick pieces of meat that didn't have spit or had been touched by his fingers. I might as well have a proper meal whilst I'm here, she thought to herself as she slowly ate. She desperately hid back the moan of delight when she tasted the cooked venison and potatoes they were heavenly.

"Why am I here." Liz asked as she dabbed her napkin against the corner of her mouth. She wasn't sure she could manage another bite. Slowly she placed her napkin flat against the table and began to put several berries, chunks of bread and cold meat onto the thick fabric. She had deliberately placed the napkin behind the large tall cake to hide her attempts of stealing. She kept her eyes on Jennings, as he was too busy belching to notice what she was doing.

"I am merely being hospitable and a gracious host." He answered as he sagged back in his chair, downing another gulp of rum straight from the bottle.

"And what is it you want in return for this gracious hospitality?" Liz asked.

"You are already offering me the world in gold. What more could I possibly want?" He answered with a cheeky grin on his face. Liz could see he was already beginning to loose his wits as the alcohol coursing through his body was starting to take affect. She had spent her whole life fearing her father when he drank, she knew what to expect from him, but she didn't know what to expect from the man before her.

"A man like you always wants something more."

"You are a very wise woman your Highness." He charmed as Liz let out a sigh of relief when she saw him put down the rum bottle. He was watching her closely as he leant over the table towards her. Liz recoiled into the back of her chair, as her hand dropped to the side eagerly trying to reach for her dagger within her boot.

"Flattery doesn't work on me Captain Jennings." She told him sternly, all pleasantries gone from her voice.

"I'm sure we can come to an agreement." He suggested as his eyes sparkled with mischief. Liz knew if she reached for her dagger she would lose the weapon as the Captain began to crawl on the table towards her. In a blink she had snatched the large knife from the table and held it against his neck as he froze. He looked down at the knife in her steady hands before he looked back at her, annoyance in his eyes.

"Now, now your majesty there is no need for violence." He spoke softly in his attempts to lure Liz into a false sense of security.

"Then I suggest you keep your hands to yourself." Liz smiled in return. Her voice sickly sweet as Jennings could see that Liz was mocking him.

"I am just trying to be a gentleman." He eased back slowly, his eyes watching the knife in her hands.

"There is nothing gentle about you, you beast" Liz hissed as his eyes flared up in anger. It was probably not the best thing to say to a half drunken pirate.

"And this is the thanks I get." He jumped up from the table, as Liz was quick to stand up to her feet. Her chair smacked against the floor as the man lunged at her. Fire in his bloodshot eyes, his strong grip managed to latch onto her wrist.

"One step closer and you can say goodbye to your manhood." She threatened him as Jennings felt a sharp pressure dig against his skin. Neither said a word as he looked down to see Liz firmly holding her knife against his groin.

"You don't have it in you missy."

"Are you willing to test that theory Captain?" Liz hissed as Jennings could help but be impressed with the young chit before him.

"Who knew a woman of your standing could have such spirit."

"You have no idea what a woman of my standing is capable of."

"Why don't you show me that spirit you're so proud of?" Jennings raised his eyebrows with a cheeky grin as he nodded over towards his bed. Liz let out a scoff in disgust as Jennings tried his hardest to force her towards the bed. Struggling against him, Liz's grip on her knife grew firm as he tried to pry it from her fingers. Digging her heel into his ankle joint Liz managed to escape his grasp before she swung the knife. The room went silent as Jennings let out an angered roar, holding onto his bloody cheek, as he was ready to tackle Liz to the ground. His own sword now in his hands.

"BITCH!"

"Gold...Captain." Never before has one simple word managed to make a man sober up in a matter of minutes.

"You...."

"You are a man of your word are you not?" Liz knew she shouldn't taunt the man who was red in face, ready to kill her where she stood but she couldn't help it. Jennings wanted to break something, he wanted to kill something and he knew that Liz and her men were off limits. No matter how much he desperately wanted to ring her neck, he knew his men would probably kill him if he ruined everyone's chances of becoming the wealthiest pirates in history.

"MAGNUS!" His shout made Liz jump back as she put the table between her and Jennings. She took Jennings distraction as the door began to unlock, to quickly tie up her napkin and hide it amongst the layers of fabric in her skirt.

"Take her high and mighty back below deck." Jennings ordered as a hand grabbed Liz and dragged her away from the Captain's quarters. Liz took a little bit of pride seeing the pain across Jennings face as he dabbed his dirty napkin against his cut cheek.

"Ouch!" Liz's response was instinctive as the grip loosened slightly before she was taken back below deck. Sitting on the cell bench, exhaustion flooded Liz as she handed the napkin of goods towards Pablo. A yawn escaped her lips as she felt her head dropping before it rested on Pierre's shoulder. Before the man could even utter a word Liz was already sound asleep as he gave a soft sigh and even managed a smile towards the young woman. None of the men dared touch the food she managed to bring back with her, they all voted that she should be the one to enjoy it in the morning. Who knows what tomorrow would bring and what they will be fed next.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

313K 2.8K 2
***AVAILABLE NOW ON AMAZON*** All Sophie Bellard wants is her freedom, freedom to sail the seven seas, and freedom to be her own person without inter...
790 44 62
It's the early 1700s, the pirate nation is thriving as its next king takes the throne. Trouble awaits on the horizon as the King finds himself in a d...
15.6K 2.1K 64
Aldrick is obsessed with finding his grandfather's treasure. More than half a century and seventeen voyages have failed to locate his ships after the...
650 44 13
"The sea calms my restless soul." You may not believe in love at first sight but you now will believe in love at first sword fight. Gabriella GorriĆ³n...