The Exiled Gem

By Maplebell

Exiled from her own land - to be executed if she ever returns, Princess Alexandra finds herself turning a spy... More

A Princess' World
The Great Arrival
Mistakes Make Changes
The Exiled Gem
The Shelter for Abandoned Kids and Orphans
The Independence Day March
Two Crossroads
The Master and the Stalker
Two Types of Examiners
Sweet Vengeance
Two Tales of Change
The Second Year's Miracle
The Tournament Begins
Dueling A Buffalo
The Matches in the Thunderstorm
Where the Thoughts Go
Black Daggers
Idgardian Laws: A Neutral Study
Second Year Test
Wind in the Basement
Never Incur A Debt
Master George's Judgement
Mabel in a Mouse-trap
The Elf's Tale
The Spider and The Fly
Traitor's Correspondence
Sweet Poison
Not a Bit of Conceit
The Second Pair
Captain Exclusive
The Merciless Pang
A Spy's World
Camphor in the Library
The Passing Out Ceremony
Jade and the Pendant
Queenly Queen Olivia
He Deserves Better
Infirmary Visits
One Assassin Down
Letter of Apology
The Bloodless Method
Extreme Need of a Holiday
Sister Heiress
An Egregious Discovery
A Vow of Maidenhood
Group Trial
Fiery-Flaring Pride
Paradise Courting Club
Watson's Shortcuts
An Uninvited Pursuit
Mary and Mark
Spies Catch a Spy
A Heroic Fall
Enormous Mistake
Change of Leader
Let's Reunite
Concern for Diana
A Clash and A Confession
Embracing the Past
Three Cape Ladies Club
Lady Derk of Doveland
The No-Entry Room
Other Side of the Tale
Irreparable Breaks
Attractions
Rise in Correspondence
Hollow Armors
New Head of Espionage
Mediocre Eights
Poisonous Pearls
Can't Clap with a Single Hand
The House of Metanoia
Desperate Changes
The Messy Head Business
Triangular Plot
Broach of Merit
Feelings and Fears
Janus-Faced Fannel
Never Tempt Fate
The Worst Reunion
Single-Handed Carnage
An Effortless Revenge
A Frustrating Loss
Broken Promises
Men Will Be Men
Mabel Leaves for Good
Meetings and Trauma
That Lady with Golden Eyes
Unhurried Tutor
Relentless Improvement
Graying Hair and Amber Eyes
The Sibling Rivalry
The Second Gem
A/N
Ophelia

Greetings of Exile

391 21 3
By Maplebell

To make a difference in somebody's life you don't have to be brilliant. Rich. Beautiful. Or perfect. You only have to care.
- Mandy Hale

Seeing the doors closed in front of her filled Alexandra with a dull grief. But surprisingly, she felt calm. She got up, and her ankle hurt. She vaguely remembered having twisted it whilst the guards had been dragging her - even thinking back of that made her cheeks burn. She had never thought that such a humiliation was possible, let alone it being done to her. And the last words she had told them - that they would pay - she hoped with all heart that it came true.

One look around herself - and she realized how dark and scary a night could be. There was no one around: only a stone path, an iron gate and a sky full of glittering pearls.

Alexandra felt her cheeks were still wet. She raised a hand to wipe her eyes - but they already were dry. 

I'm stronger than I think I am. 

She considered her options - the fact that she was no longer a citizen of anywhere, made a lot of options present themselves to her. Naturally, if she was found anywhere in Doveland after daybreak, she would be executed. That was an acceptable option, but now, Alexandra wanted to live. It had been her fate which had got her the exile. She had heard stories of Princes and Princesses who had flourished in exile. While none of them were true, they gave her a realistic hope. Alexandra needed good people, and something told her that there were good people out there, waiting for her. She just had to find them.

She gathered up her extravagant green robes and slowly - deliberately making each step echo, she walked.

Thump, thump, thump

The footsteps were truly deliberate. She wanted to make the people staying back, realize that she was leaving. She would never come back.
And if they wanted to stop her, this was the last chance.

Nobody availed that chance. Alexandra walked away from her looming past full of Palace corridors, codes of conduct and censored beauty. A part of her was dimly surprised. She wanted to turn. But all that she would find there was death - it was horrifying that Doveland could do that to her. But everything was so unbelievable - so terrible - that the only thing Alexandra registered, was that she was still breathing. She could still feel her pulse. And she wanted it to be that way. In Doveland or out of Doveland. And wherever her feet lead her, she just wanted to be out of Doveland, now.

Alexandra had one small advantage, even so. She knew of quite a few (if not all) shortcuts.
She knew Doveland's position on the maps they used. According to that, Columberra was a small, independent kingdom whereas around them were two giants. To the North-East was the Empire of Vedessa and to the South West was the Empire of Cartania, beyond Cartania was another small kingdom: Ethoris (the Kingdom whose throne she had apparently endangered). However, the Palace, almost touched the borders of Vedessa. So, if she was lucky and used all her shortcuts, she would be out of Doveland well before daybreak. Then ... she would see what to do. Vedessa could not be expected to be friendly. Their young emperor was infamous in Doveland - he was aggressive and power-hungry, and had full intention to launch an attack on Doveland any moment now.

Alexandra hoped he did. But that was irrelevant - she needed help - and he was certainly not the best person to be found by. In that case, the best thing was to lie low. Vedessa was huge - who would waste their time in looking for an exiled-princess-in-hiding there!?

Before she knew it, Alexandra was in the Markets, with the plan fully thought out in her head. There, she sat down for a while, because the pain in her ankle had become unbearable. She found a wad of cloth hanging from the window of a shop and pulled it down, tying it to her ankle. It did not lessen the pain, but at least the spot was secured. Alexandra knew that there were still miles to go in order to be out of Doveland. It was probably seven or eight at night. No, she dare not fall asleep here.

'Find strength.' She told herself, 'You are all you have now.' The words felt encouraging but they didn't impart any strength to her. She didn't know where to find strength from, to put her plan into action. Alexandra wondered if Nicholas' ghost would haunt her now - and the thought was so scary that she got up. Despite the pain, she decided she wouldn't stop now. Not because of any ghost or fear, but simply because Alexandra was not as weak. She could walk a few miles and she could make it out of Doveland. Doveland. After only half an hour, Alexandra's opinion of Doveland was fast changing. It did not feel like a good, likeable place anymore. It was just another mismanaged kingdom - a highly prejudiced place. She wanted to get away as fast as possible.

Despite many attempts to do so, she lost track of time as she walked. She had entered into a part of the kingdom that had previously been forbidden. It was a congested, crowded area inhabited by the poorest of the poor. Such places, as Alexandra knew, were common in any developing kingdom and were naturally considered unsafe - with the highest crime rates. It appeared like any other place at night. Nevertheless, she quickened her pace there. Her ankle throbbed, sending shocks up her leg with each step but Alexandra didn't stop.

She looked around her, there were muddy houses, dirty porches ... small farms. It was funny, how she had lived there for seventeen years and never even seen this once. But only a minute into walking, as she got absorbed in her surroundings, Alexandra lost track of what she was trudging on. Her left foot, the twisted one, fell on a particularly uneven lump of land. The already weak leg wobbled under her weight and she collapsed again. The habit of walking on even roads and stone floors was the finest excuse for this fall.

'Ouch!' Alexandra winced into the darkness and cursed so loud that a cat screeched in the distance, alarmed. Her leg was burning in agony. Sitting up, she felt terrified, and couldn't bring herself to even touch it. As she shifted slightly, in an unsuccessful attempt to stand up, something fell from her pocket and skittered away. It was the only glowing object in the pitch dark.

She picked it up. Her pocket knife.

'At least you're with me...' Alexandra ventured, turning it over in her hand. She then managed to stand up, gripping the ground around her.

And now, even walking gingerly was impossible. Self pity boiling in her, Alexandra limped through the place.

'I'm going to a better place,' she told herself, only to feel better about something absolutely miserable. 'But what if I don't get there...' she then ventured.

It was a silly thought. She didn't let it enter her head ever again. Not even years later, when Vedessa had become her home.

Perhaps after more than six hours of limping - Alexandra was in a forest. She walked gingerly, placing only very little pressure on her left foot, holding trees and hopping wherever else possible. There was no forest in Doveland, she was sure of it. 'I think ... I am out of Doveland.' Alexandra concluded to herself. The voice didn't echo in the forest, but it sounded oddly loud. As if she was yelling into a tunnel draped with curtains. Her legs and back pained. The left foot was especially bad. She had never walked as much in her entire life. Her eyes, as she had a sweeping look of her surroundings, fell on a huge tree. It was almost morning, the tree had a large shade even with the very little sunlight. Alexandra sat under it.

'This is nice...' She muttered. Her stomach growled - she was already hungry, with all the walking. And thirsty. But there was no water, and her practical mind pointed out that even if there was, she was very sure it would not be drinkable. Alexandra's head soon started drooping with fatigue. Her eyes felt heavy and sore. She wanted to sleep, but she wanted to stay awake as well. If this was a forest, there could be threats here. For a while, she weaved in and out of sleep - snapping awake two minutes into dozing off.

Finally, however, sleep and tiredness got the better of her - Alexandra's head rolled backwards, hit the bark of the tree with a dull thud and she slept.

* * *

Water hit her face as Alexandra jumped and woke up with a start. She rubbed her eyes, blearily. 'It is not six yet!' She barked out, but as her eyes flew open, Alexandra came back to her senses. There was someone in front of her - someone, who was definitely not her Dovish Nurse.

A man.

He was kneeling, which poised him just a bit above her. Slowly, Alexandra registered she was in the forest - the previous night's events came tumbling upon her- weighing down her chest and making her feel unloved, wretched. Just to control the emotions Alexandra forced herself to stare at the man's face.

He was clean shaven and dark haired. His hair fell onto his eyes, covering them slightly. He had a water bottle in his hand, and as he casually pushed aside the hair from his forehead, Alexandra realized he was strikingly handsome. Somebody who could instantly make Olivia either jealous, or smitten. But something about him rung a bell in Alexandra's mind - something she ought to know, but couldn't exactly place. It had something to do with his eyes - the intelligent, amber eyes.

So confident, he is a knockout... She registered, wistfully. Why she wasn't alarmed - she had no idea, but there a few people one could see - for the first time and yet have no difficulty understanding. This man was an old friend - from somewhere in the past.

They were so quiet for a moment that Alexandra could hear the fast, March winds rush past her, making the sprawling beech tree rustle. After an initial moment of pleasant astonishment - she realized she had a mouth - and could question.

'Who are you?' They asked each other, at the same time.
The Amber-eyed man laughed, although there was nothing laughable in it. He had an easy, infectious laugh, it made Alexandra feel light - so much so that the next volley of winds could have blown her away too. Her own problems felt not so bad after all. This time would pass, too.

'Okay, I'll go first.' he offered, 'I am Liam. A - traveler. And you... look quite bad.'

'You mean I am ugly? Thanks, that is so kind of you!' Alexandra replied, blushing.

'A Princess in grime and hurt is never a pretty sight. Especially a Dovish Princess, who are known to be unblemished beauties.'

All comfort vanished instantly.

'How-' Alexandra began, but stopped - because Liam was staring at her ring. The seal of Doveland. And of course, her extravagant clothes spoke much. 'So you have investigated me - and just so you know, that's lowly!' She exclaimed, eyes glazing.

Liam laughed again. 'And I get punished for it now!' He nodded, 'Be practical Princess, and tell me what exactly has happened, so I can help you. The next man passing, will not be as willing to do so.'

The next man - as though he was not a common man himself. The conceit irked Alexandra. She moved her hand to her waist and closed her fist upon the pocket knife. Perhaps it was needed.

'I don't intend to tell you anything.' She said, backing a little. 'I don't need your help,'

'If I insist?' He asked, unblinking, unmoving.

Instigated and furious, Alexandra swiped out the flashing pocket knife. But it hadn't even seen the sunlight before the blade was turned - and Liam yanked it out of her grasp as easily as toy from a toddler's grip.

'Dovish Princess with a knife!' He exclaimed, amused. 'I wonder what I'll see next - but ah, this looks real,' he gave ut a vague look - then extended it to Alexandra. 'Have it - and now I'm unarmed - and I am not calling you anything. Please tell me why you are here.'

Why is he so interested? Alexandra wondered, frowning at him.

'I am Alexandra,' she replied, nevertheless. 'And I don't need help.'

'You sure do,' he replied. The ease with which he had dealt with the pocket knife, told Alexandra that Liam was seasoned with them. And he definitely appeared like a warrior. Yet he claimed he was a traveler. That was suspicious enough.

'Why do I tell you!?' Alexandra demanded.

'Because you don't have any other option.' He replied, calmly. 'Or wait, Alexandra - I just realized- you do! Becoming a meal of wolves or wild dogs or-'

'I - I am exiled.' She divulged hurriedly, choking upon the last word and eyes brimming over at last. A certain wall she had been trying to build around her, trying to shun Liam away with - collapsed at that point. Alexandra felt conscious of what he could be thinking of her right then. A person who tried to appear hard but was raw underneath?

'Now Alexandra, you aren't going to cry over it, are you?' he questioned. For some reason, his demeanor had suddenly changed. He seemed more gracious and amiable - almost as if Alexandra had done something worth a trophy. 'Happens with plenty of them,' he added, as a single lone tear traced down Alexandra's cheek. Did he mean that plenty of Princesses were exiled? Alexandra didn't think so. 'Tell me what exactly happened. I can help you.' He added, extending and hand the wiping the tear away. A gesture that was far too friendly and intimate for Alexandra to have experienced before.

'Help me?' She asked, as Liam nodded. 'Why would you help me?!' She demanded. With all her rational upbringing and to-the-point life, Alexandra didn't know why people would be ready to help her. She had nothing to give them in return.

'Because you are young and,' he looked around the forest once, 'lost and vulnerable.' he informed, laying extra stress on "vulnerable". Alexandra didn't appreciate it, but it was true.

With all her skills of observing people, Alexandra just knew Liam was not evil. And maybe the stress on "vulnerable", explained it all. If he hadn't cared, he wouldn't have stopped. And if his intentions were inimical - he wouldn't have spent the last ten minutes trying to be kind and friendly.

So Alexandra told him everything. About Aunt Sabel's visit, what her family was like and what all had followed. How she had lost her temper and killed her cousin.

'They put it to vote, what to do with me. Whether to Execute, Imprison or Exile. I ended up in exile.' She concluded, exhaling.

Liam looked at her for a second, beyond his eyes, Alexandra could almost see how furiously his brain was working - perhaps trying to digest the facts. He seemed relieved, happy - almost grateful. Then he looked down, and seemed to get a grip over himself. 'You must be thirsty.' Liam said, extending the water bottle.

Of all things, the simple, humane gesture pleased Alexandra. She took the flask and sipped in, her taste buds rejoicing at the flavor of water. It was as if her senses had been jarred, as if she was waking up now. She registered that there was a horse behind him and not just any horse, it was remarkably good one. Better than any in Doveland.

'You have a horse, a good one. What's your birth?' Alexandra asked boldly, invigorated by the drink. It had just occurred to her all of a sudden - but as soon the words were out - she realized what a thoughtless thing it was, to say. Plenty of people would be offended on being asked of "birth". And hadn't she herself hated the shackles of royal existence? Low curtsies, twirls and long robes and drapes? In the society she was no longer a part of, there were only a handful of people content with their ranks. Perhaps at the top of the list came Olivia.

But Liam just chuckled, as if Alexandra had done something innocent. 'Does it matter?' He asked, 'Do you look at birth, not heart, before accepting help?'

'No... I just wondered.' she claimed, turning a bit red. In order to change the topic, she continued, 'Where are you going?'

'To a Coronation.' He replied, as if it was funeral. 'You would know Vedessa and Cartania are more than slightly related to each other. We attend their coronations, they attend ours. But a princess should know...'

'Vedessa and Cartania are the worst enemies.'

'True,' he nodded, 'So going that is a formality - I will first leave you somewhere.'

'Where?' Alexandra demanded, at once sub-consciously calculating him. Despite what he had said, Alexandra did need to have a proper look at him: good quality clothes, clean drinking water (so much that he didn't mind sharing), Liam physically most closely resembled Austin. In fact, he looked even fitter - and he had a really good horse. Adding that to refined speech - more or less, chivalrous ways...

Alexandra was no fool, Liam was a rich noble-man at the very least. Or he was a skilled thief who had got his hands on a fine horse.

Why then, did he appear familiar?

'My kingdom - er - where I live, that is ... is a few hours away by the shortest route. I know of a good couple. They give orphans and Abandoned children shelter. You can tell them you are an orphan. They will keep you. Oh, don't worry it's only a temporary setup - so that you can lie low for awhile. Today, the news of your exile would be spreading like wildfire. The commoners of Vedessa would be on the lookout for you. When all that dies down..."

"Down?" she prompted.

"Well," Liam contemplated. It was scary to watch someone ponder over what they were to do with her. "We'll see."

We will see.

Not, I will see. That was certainly an improvement.

'But you said you were going to a coro-'

'I will still make it. And you think watching a new toad sit on a throne is something I enjoy? For once, accept that you won't survive for long here by yourself. Nobody can - and you're already lost. The smell of blood will attract predators - or maybe, more humans- who are worse than predators.'

His last sentence was what got Alexandra hooked. But she couldn't believe her luck. In fact, she was half certain that such good things didn't happen - and that, there ought to be some catch here. For the third time she thought whether she could trust Liam, somebody she had met fifteen minutes ago.

'If you are thinking whether you can trust me or not, which I am sure you are-' Liam began, getting up and offering her a hand,

'I am thinking no such thing.' Alexandra lied, ignoring the hand and trying to get up on her own. But her ankle wobbled, the pain worse. Not wanting to receive a mouthful of dirt, she shot out a hand to balance herself and Liam gripped it, with surprising strength. Alexandra straightened up, a bit red in the face from appearing like the princess who couldn't even stand up properly, 'And you are pretty bad at guessing.' She added, just to feel a bit better.

'Is that so, Princess?' Liam's eyes twinkled with amusement. 'Next you will be telling me your left ankle is fine.'

'No - it is not.' She groaned, going even redder. 'Can you please stop acting like you know everything?'

'I can now believe you are a true princess.' He nodded, noting the attitude. 'Want me to have a look at it?' He asked, looking at her left ankle plainly.

'Are you a healer?' She demanded. If he could heal it, that was one thing. What did "having a look" mean?

'No,' he shrugged. 'But I can heal it - try to at least.'

'Will it be painful?'

Liam's lips curled up, 'It's a trick we use in times of combat. That - and everything related - is painful. But so is a twisted ankle, anyway.' he said. Alexandra stared on for a second, trying to make head or tail of that statement, then she sat back down. The twisted answer definitely meant it would be painful.

'Do it. I'm not scared.' she declared.

'Who talked of scared?' He smirked. And without waiting for a reply, knelt back down, closed his hand upon her ankle and gave it a simple, quick jerk. Except that Alexandra jerked along with the foot, wincing and shaking her head. She put a hand to her mouth in agony. Her face feeling warm and redder than ever, a bead of sweat trickling down her temple.

'Is it - over?' She asked, her voice breaking.

'Thankfully, yes.'

When they were firmly seated on the horse - Alexandra having declined the offer to sit in front - as was done, when somebody didn't know horse riding - Liam warned, 'Hold on tight- I still say: sit in front, this isn't the best time to show that Princess Pride.'

'Are you threatening me?' Alexandra asked, reluctantly putting a hand on his shoulder. 'And no, means no. I'm fine behind.'

'Don't complain later o-' Liam began, but he was asked to shut up.

* * *

A long time later, the path evened out. Alexandra was certainly not enjoying - she felt her stomach was coming into her mouth. The path had been even worse than she had imagined: and though she didn't complain, fearing the amount of smugness it would impart to Liam, Alexandra decided she was really never showing her Princess Pride to him again.

She didn't know why, but Liam felt the need of a helmet as soon as they entered the outskirts of the kingdom. She didn't ask, because it felt rude. And yet, she was curious: who rode without protection in bad forests and with it, in even cities?

Sometime later, they stopped. But it was at an empty spot. For a second, Alexandra felt confused, then she was scared, and then resentful, all within a second. Liam got off the horse, 'Come on.' He said, his voice sounded muffled from beneath the helmet.

'What is this place?' Alexandra asked, sliding down and looking around herself mutely as Liam took off the helmet.

'An empty spot, of course. Hope you enjoyed that ride - because I did warn you. This is the farthest I can come to. Walk hundred yards, take a right. You will see rows of houses to your left, and farms to your right. There will be a red brick building, black roofed. Knock. Whoever opens up, just tell them you are an orphan, you are hungry and have no one in the world. Make yourself sound as pitiable as possible - and make up a fake name, deal with your clothes and ring, because soon word is going to spread about your exile. And living there should mean discarding the Princess Pride. They won't disappoint you.'

'Hundred yards, then right. Got it.' Alexandra said.

'And, and, listen. Keep cool there. Unless you find a way to charm them, people are troublesome ... don't fly into a rage at them.'

'I know, Liam!' She said, 'Thank you so much.'

He just grinned and mounted the horse again. 'Thank the horse, he's a gem.'

A minute, and they were gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 111 42
Alexander is powerful, deadly, and legendary. But all he wants is to be left alone after the love of his undead-life is killed. Sadly, his plans get...
35.6K 413 13
Used to be I want my brother's beta.. good thing hes too busy with his mate to notice (redone a little bit check it out) Katie is an alpha's daughter...
248 58 13
There was a major war that happened and now the government is trying a new experiment on the city. The main character, Alex, and her best friends who...
115K 4.7K 36
Alexandra Williams doesn't like the idea of staying in a house cooking, cleaning, and sewing all day; so she leaves her home and runs into two men dr...